It's not the head coach that is the problem

Hozz

50 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

If, behind the scenes, we could lock Urban in to a deal, would you be okay with firing Sark and hiring UM? If no, would losing to Kansas for a 2nd year in a row change your mind? 

I don’t know what to think about Urban at this point. I think after last offseason it’s probably not a possibility anyway. But if we could lure a known quantity like USC and LSU did last year? Then yeah, we should. (I also have no expectation that that will happen, or that this will even be entertained, this winter.)

And no, losing this weekend would not change my mind, because it wouldn’t be remotely surprising. Keep Sark until you know you have a better option. We didn’t do that last time. 

19 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

That's the kind of shit I read from non-sports fans and rando idiots on Reddit.  What the fuck kind of arrogance do our fans carry when we can't recall the last year Texas went to the conference championship game, let alone won one?  Becuase we outmuscled Jawja through a Sugar Bowl, caught with their pants down?

No, it's because this program is blessed with the MOST ABUNDANT RESOURCES of ANY football program across the nation.  The pecking order moves on to Ohio State, then  whichever Florida team manages to lock their state down, followed by one of LSU/Alabama, then USC.  Winning isn't just an expectation, it's that the program exists with the biggest budget, the best recruiting grounds, among the largest fanbases, one of the best locations, everything that AIDS winning and building a dynasty.

I'm pissed that Texas has failed to succeed in spite of all of that.  The program has been plagued by compacency with coaches who run their team like it could be Northwest fucking Arkansas.  Where's the shit-eating-grinned coach who cares about making every posession count?

FIFY. I think our program just has AIDS.

17 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

My wife’s role in my clothing is centered only on commenting “you look nice” or “you look like dogshit”. She has never picked out my clothes or laid out what to wear or shopped for me. She might go with me when I buy suits but basically to comment on fit. I select my shirts ties shoes. I don’t know anyone whose wife dresses them.

She knows I grew up with a mother that liked picking out clothes for me until I rebelled at about 13.

Sark should have the sense to look at that stupid outfit, know his role and his audience, and say “I ain’t wearing that stupid thing”. And wifey should be smart enough to know that as well and put him in a nice Italian perfectly tailored suit. Not that stupid thing which looks like something a potential pick wears to the nfl draft with his mama.

In 2 years, she'll be dressing him up like a jackass on the Arkansas State sideline.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:

There’s a lot to criticize about Sark’s performance, the the fixation on what he wears or what his wife wears is just weird. It doesn’t matter at all.

If only Sark, the players, and his fashionista wife believed that you might have a point.

But they don't, so...

Edited by Cajun
And you might wanna send your memo to LHN , Sark, and Loreal, since we're talking fixations and all.

6 hours ago, JFKFC said:

If, behind the scenes, we could lock Urban in to a deal, would you be okay with firing Sark and hiring UM? If no, would losing to Kansas for a 2nd year in a row change your mind? 

If Urban's agent re-engaged Texas we would absolutely reciprocate around parameters to bring him here. 

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

He looked like a fucking clown. It would have been less weird if he matched that outfit with a red sponge nose. 

I guess it doesn't matter if you don't care whether or not your head coach looks like a clown.

Perception is a hell of a thing. Undefeated Sark dressed like that looks pretty clean or cool or fresh or whatever the fuck recruits are saying these days. 7 Win Ceiling Sark looks dumb as shit dressed like that.

Perception is a hell of a thing. Undefeated Sark dressed like that looks pretty clean or cool or fresh or whatever the fuck recruits are saying these days. 7 Win Ceiling Sark looks dumb as shit dressed like that.

Dressing like that is evidence of a character flaw that would reveal itself eventually even if undefeated.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Undefeated Sark dressed like that would still look dumber than shit, we just wouldn't say anything about it.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

Undefeated Sark dressed like that would still look dumber than shit, we just wouldn't say anything about it.

Upon further review of that outfit, you are correct. Holy fucking shit that's bad. The stripe on those pants SHOULD be the worst part. Then you look at whatever the fuck is going on with the pocket.....yikes.

Just ugly as shit, really.

• Hook 'Em 1

11-11 overall
7-9 in conference
7-11 against p5 teams
2-6 vs Top 25 Teams
2-6 on the road
4-9 in 1 score games
1-3 vs first year head coaches

On 11/13/2022 at 9:44 PM, Pancho said:

My question is who are the BMDs looking at for 2025? Will they (finally) sit this one out and let CDC hire?

I think we all know the answer to this one. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

23 hours ago, gmr548 said:

There’s a lot to criticize about Sark’s performance, the the fixation on what he wears or what his wife wears is just weird. It doesn’t matter at all.

it’s certainly indicative of someone who isn’t reading the room. When you’re winning, no one cares about a lot of things. When you can’t figure shit out, entering the stadium looking like the tinpot dictator of an island nation draws a lot of unnecessary attention.

I recall John Mackovic drawing huge criticism for wearing a navy sweatshirt on the sideline during a game. Petty? Maybe, but fix the fucking program. 

Some of us grew up In the 80's and early 90's and "Dress for Success" was engrained into the culture. So when you see someone dress like a clown there is a natural reaction for those of us old enough to care how serious we looked when doing a serious job in front of the customer.

I respect your honesty in stating that it’s basically an irrational old man yelling at clouds thing. The little pregame stadium walk they do is by no means serious (really in the grand scheme of things, none is his job is) and he is as much selling to recruits (re: youth more likely to have a positive reaction to a coach doing something different) on a big recruiting weekend as he is the fans gathered in that moment.

The “serious job in front of the customer” in this analogy would be the product on the field in front of 100k+ fans.

He looked like a fucking clown. It would have been less weird if he matched that outfit with a red sponge nose. 
I guess it doesn't matter if you don't care whether or not your head coach looks like a clown.

No, I really don’t, and neither would you if Texas won on Saturday. I’m sure you were really fired up about whatever he wore to the OU game, or in Manhattan.
The fixation on what he wears is absolutely understandable given WHAT he’s wearing in that photo.  

What is weird is defending and deflecting from that reality.

Oh In understand it completely. Texas lost, fans are mad and looking for an outlet.

Defending it? There’s nothing to defend. He wore an ugly suit on a pregame walk. Okay. It didn’t add or subtract a single point on the scoreboard. It made no specific statement. It’s value and performance neutral, that’s the point.

24 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I respect your honesty in stating that it’s basically an irrational old man yelling at clouds thing. The little pregame stadium walk they do is by no means serious (really in the grand scheme of things, none is his job is) and he is as much selling to recruits (re: youth more likely to have a positive reaction to a coach doing something different) on a big recruiting weekend as he is the fans gathered in that moment.

The “serious job in front of the customer” in this analogy would be the product on the field in front of 100k+ fans.

No, I really don’t, and neither would you if Texas won on Saturday. I’m sure you were really fired up about whatever he wore to the OU game, or in Manhattan.

Oh In understand it completely. Texas lost, fans are mad and looking for an outlet.

Defending it? There’s nothing to defend. He wore an ugly suit on a pregame walk. Okay. It didn’t add or subtract a single point on the scoreboard. It made no specific statement. It’s value and performance neutral, that’s the point.

If ripping on a guy for looking like a Southwest Airlines tail is wrong, i don't wanna be right.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

If ripping on a guy for looking like a Southwest Airlines tail is wrong, i don't wanna be right.

giphy.gif

I’m all for a good roasting. Pretending like it means anything with regard to the product on the field or his competence as a coach is an enormous, desperate reach; one that doesn’t really need to be made in the first place given, you know, his actual coaching performance.
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The message to recruits was loud and clear: all style, no substance.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

giphy.gif

I’m all for a good roasting. Pretending like it means anything with regard to the product on the field or his competence as a coach is an enormous, desperate reach; one that doesn’t really need to be made in the first place given, you know, his actual coaching performance.

Hmm i don't know. Being a good HC is about being detail-oriented. I feel like a few details of that suit were overlooked.

30 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

giphy.gif

I think it another example of a person who is an expert in making bad decisions.  That is certainly transferrable to his gameday coaching.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Spin me right round

Baby right round…

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

11-11 overall
7-9 in conference
7-11 against p5 teams
2-6 vs Top 25 Teams
2-6 on the road
4-9 in 1 score games

How many blown 2nd half double digit leads? Because I think that’s crazy too

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

11-11 overall
7-9 in conference
7-11 against p5 teams
2-6 vs Top 25 Teams
2-6 on the road
4-9 in 1 score games

It requires aggy level of denial to think this trajectory will improve based on history.

Sorry but if the term clothes make the man then this silly outfit reveals much about his game awareness, his lack of focus, and and his inability to go with the tried and true rather than some geewhiz play when it’s not warranted.

There’s clothing and there’s costumes. When I was in the music biz I had a zebra tuxedo, with pink lightning bolts down the trouser legs. Had a turban to top it off, with a big jewel. I knew though which venue to wear it at, and which ones jeans and a Hawaiian shirt were the correct costume.

I have no issue with a man spending his mainly on fancy duds, but it’s the manner one chooses to do it is the mark of the man. If we’re all wearing a black suit, then skip the $200 men’s wear house special and wear a custom tailored Italian fabric modern cut suit with a $200 tie and $1000 shoes. That’s taking care of business.

It’s about perceptions impacting realities. He’s getting hammered nationally now about it. What if Arch goes elsewhere because Peyton gets in his ear about it? Would it have an impact now?

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Sark is not the guy and the city of Austin doesn’t help.  It might be a positive during recruiting but there are too many distractions in Austin for the student athlete.  

Lamest excuse ever is blaming Austin having distractions.

The most logical thing of why coaches suck here is because the people that are involved in the hiring process. Once that gets fixed maybe we'll hire a coach worth a shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Lamest excuse ever is blaming Austin having distractions.

The most logical thing of why coaches suck here is because the people that are involved in the hiring process. Once that gets fixed maybe we'll hire a coach worth a shit.

That’s a problem as well, no doubt.  But it’s a lot easier for the players, who tend to not be the most disciplined young men to begin with, to stay focused in places like Tuscaloosa, Athens, Baton Rouge, etc., where there’s not as much going on.  

18 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Sorry but if the term clothes make the man then this silly outfit reveals much about his game awareness, his lack of focus, and and his inability to go with the tried and true rather than some geewhiz play when it’s not warranted.

There’s clothing and there’s costumes. When I was in the music biz I had a zebra tuxedo, with pink lightning bolts down the trouser legs. Had a turban to top it off, with a big jewel. I knew though which venue to wear it at, and which ones jeans and a Hawaiian shirt were the correct costume.

I have no issue with a man spending his mainly on fancy duds, but it’s the manner one chooses to do it is the mark of the man. If we’re all wearing a black suit, then skip the $200 men’s wear house special and wear a custom tailored Italian fabric modern cut suit with a $200 tie and $1000 shoes. That’s taking care of business.

It’s about perceptions impacting realities. He’s getting hammered nationally now about it. What if Arch goes elsewhere because Peyton gets in his ear about it? Would it have an impact now?

No one cares about his clothing choices except our fan base. There is no correlation or causation to him wearing that and us losing, just like there would be no correlation or causation had we beat TCU by 21 points. 

Some of y’all just look for stupid shit to bitch about that makes no sense. We lost because of the coaching, plain and simple. Clothes had 0 to do with it. 

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pancho said:

No one cares about his clothing choices except our fan base. 

I'll go a couple even further....1/2 our fan doesn't care about his clothes...1/2 do....99% of those that do, it doesn't make any difference... The other 1% it does

Edited by Hpara759

42 minutes ago, HouTex said:

That’s a problem as well, no doubt.  But it’s a lot easier for the players, who tend to not be the most disciplined young men to begin with, to stay focused in places like Tuscaloosa, Athens, Baton Rouge, etc., where there’s not as much going on.  

Outside of football Texas has the best athletic department in the entire country right now (technically - even when including football they do). And that includes the other sports where kids would be prone to getting distracted or fucking around like baseball, basketball, golf, tennis...

It isn't Austin. It's the head coach who in multiple losses now has refused to pull our terrible starting QB. I'm not even sure what "focus" or "discipline" has to do with it. We just held the #4 team in the country to 17 points. Usually that requires a high level of competence. 

Oh yeah - Austin's professional soccer team also just made the final 4 out of 30 teams in their 2nd season. With a middling roster. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

I'll go a couple even further....1/2 our fan doesn't care about his clothes...1/2 do....99% of those that do, it doesn't make any difference... The other 1% it does

Yep.  Tap dancing on a pinhead.  Looking for shit to bitch about.  Hell, the players might have liked it like many kids love those god-awful Oregon uni's.

He pulls QE and somehow Card lead a halfway decent offense, this is a non-issue.  Just win.  Nothing else matters.