Game Week- Baylor.

Wulaw Horn

28 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'm pretty sure we're gonna win this game.

I don't really have any facts or stats to support that belief.

But Baylor is a bad place full of bad people and they all deserve another loss.  So let's give it to 'em, whether they want it or not, yeah?

angry-throw.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

tumblr_nuqqp22SSp1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

It’s funny because he was close to a salient point, that the weakness of the running game is still the interior trio of the OL, while they’ve no doubt improved over the course of the year. Just spamming inside zone and power into the teeth of Baylor’s tight front might not end well, so there’s going to need to be some variation and misdirection in the run game.

But then he went full Greenspoint.

I think Texas wins because the seniors will want to win their last one at DKR; Baylor is coming off a hard fought, emotional L to TCU, while Texas was on cruise control against Kansas; and Baylor doesn’t have anything more to play for than Texas does. But if there’s anything to take from the 2022 Texas season it’s that absolutely no outcome ranging from embarrassment to juggernaut should surprise you.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

This only shows how terrible Sark is. We should easily be 9-2.

9-2 with a lot of talk about how Texas is a last second FG and a hard fought single score game away from being 11-0 (Alabama and TCU in non-bizzaro abandon the run game world)

The other 2 losses to Texas Tech and Oklahoma State become more and more inexcusable the longer the season goes on. Completely exposing sark for coaching incompetence. Both of those games were won and just needed the dagger twisted instead of getting cute and trying to go conservative or run clock and then play like you are behind when you are ahead. Just fucking stupid. 

This team has an identity and it shows out when they get to play to their identity. This team, like sark says repeatedly in his fucking press conferences is a run first team, but miraculously the games that were lost were completely imbalanced and reliant on the pass instead of the run. Abandoning the identity of your team to do what you think is a wrinkle in the other teams difference isn't how it works with a young, super physically talented, but not "brain off run play coach called" team. The playbook is enormous, he has a play for all the shit he sees, but he has no 4th year players who know the playbook inside and out let alone all 11 on offense to just get away from the core playbook they practiced the week before. 

Talking to some sources that will remain unnamed this happens on things like running a play in practice all week to one side with space and then in a game scenario having that play be mirror flipped and run into the short side of the field with slightly different personnel. It's a minor thing, but it fucks with the muscle memory and the chemistry between the players who are expecting a body to be somewhere where it is slightly different. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just in case people missed this graphic in the other thread from Saturday. That’s just stubbornness. And Stupidity. We run Bijan and Rojo all year like we did in our wins and we are 10-1 or 11-0. Period. It’s not rocket science! We have two rockets for RBs. You use what you have. We didn’t. Bijan is Mr. Heisman if we’d done this from the jump. Damnit! 

77D30293-FDC8-43F7-A376-DB866685A819.jpeg

Edited by Nicole44

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Just in case people missed this graphic in the other thread from Saturday. That’s just stubbornness. And Stupidity. We run Bijan and Rojo all year like we did in our wins and we are 10-1 or 11-0. Period. It’s not rocket science! We have two rockets for RBs. You use what you have. We didn’t. Bijan is Mr. Heisman if we’d done this from the jump. Damnit! 

Unfortunately Rojo is not well.  I hope Keilan and / or Brooks can provide a good change of pace Fri.  But I hope Roschon can play because we'll need power against baylor.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Graphics like these are stupid. They provide no context as to game flow, situations, etc. 12 of Ewers' 49 pass attempts against OSU came on the final 2 drives of the game when we were down a score with time running out and HAD to throw. Sure, they could have ran the ball more early in the game but just looking at run/pass splits are never going to tell you the full story of a game. Same with TCU, 11 of his 39 throws came on the final 2 drives when we were down 14 in the 4th quarter.

Yes, in games where you lead in the 4th quarter, especially late, you are going to end up with more runs than passes and most likely win the game. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

This only shows how terrible Sark is. We should easily be 9-2.

And we could have easily been undefeated. Every loss came down to a single possession. 

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

But if there’s anything to take from the 2022 Texas season it’s that absolutely no outcome ranging from embarrassment to juggernaut should surprise you.

I disagree. I'd be very surprised if we got blown out. TCU was absolutely the closest we've come to that, and even then we had a shot at the end. 

Baylor shot its wad against TCU and got punched in the gut to top it off. And they've got the short turnaround to recover, go on the road and be ready to play.

Aranda's a really good coach but Sarkisian has to win this game. I'd love to have more faith in that but I've seen enough this season not to expect much of anything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Welcome to college football, where pretty much every team in the country (who plays a schedule that has a pulse, so throw out Michigan and Ohio State) can play the "we were 4 plays from this great record and 3 plays from poor record"

Right our 2009 team needed Colt McCoy to make a tackle after he threw a pick deep in our own end to avoid potentially losing to OU, and then of course there was the Big12 Champ Game, not to mention aggy was in the balance until late that year.  

And both Michigan and Ohio State that you mention had close calls yesterday.  Michigan needing a game winning (or losing) FG and Maryland had the ball with a minute left down by 3 against tOSU before Tua2 got strip sacked.   It's part of the deal unless we are talking 2005 Horns regular season.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Right our 2009 team needed Colt McCoy to make a tackle after he threw a pick deep in our own end to avoid potentially losing to OU, and then of course there was the Big12 Champ Game, not to mention aggy was in the balance until late that year.  
And both Michigan and Ohio State that you mention had close calls yesterday.  Michigan needing a game winning (or losing) FG and Maryland had the ball with a minute left down by 3 against tOSU before Tua2 got strip sacked.   It's part of the deal unless we are talking 2005 Horns regular season.  

Ohio State comes to mind in 2005. Oklahoma State was more than one play, but it was ugly until the pump fake.

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Ohio State comes to mind in 2005. Oklahoma State was more than one play, but it was ugly until the pump fake.

Yea I didn't count them as they were obviously a pretty strong team that year.  OU and Nebraska in 2009 were just ok to kind of go with the, you are gonna get in some tight down to the wire games with competition on paper you should stomp on.

Edited by Surly Bevo

23 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Baylor doesn't get emotional. Their offense does what it does regardless of the opponent.

What it does is run stretch zone. The OL goes toward the wide side and tries to get the DL to follow. The RB takes the pitch and tries to find a cutback gap before he reaches the boundary.

That's the base. Out of that, the want to misdirect. They want to fake wide and toss to the weak side. The QB will pull the mesh and waggle to the opposite side. They'll try "first man through" plays. Passing is based off getting the defense to attack the run and leave the opposite side throw wide open. They use a large, physical TE Sims as a possession receiver to great effect. They lack talent to beat a defense "straight up" in the passing game, but can secure chunk plays when the secondary bites on a misdirection. They like to be plodding, eat clock, and gain first downs. Texas fans will appreciate the strategy from "earlier years" of methodically gaining ground through pounding the run, only to inexplicably do some complicated triple reverse throwback naked blind QB screen shit that fails spectacularly and turns 2nd and 6 at the opponent's 17 to 3rd and 25 at the 36.

Their defense is a violent DT, Apu Ika, and a bunch of guys doing their best. If Ika is allowed to cause havoc by disrupting line play, those guys can flow to the ball. If he's not occupying the offensive backfield, then Baylor's defensive athletes will come up 2nd best in every match up. Texas could simply use Sanders, Whitt, and Robinson to more than deplete Baylor's defensive abilities. Obviously, if the OL has a repeat of the TCU brain cramp, then there's no hope. I'm basing assessments on an aggregate of the season and not that one badly timed crapstorm.

Baylor's offense will have some success. They have hard working players that understand the scheme. If the Texas defense stays disciplined and doesn't start trying to play 3 positions at once, they'll be better than Baylor. Similarly, Baylor's defense will come to stop Bijan. They probably won't be able to do that outright, but Quinn can make the offense's job easy by seeing his elementary reads.

You lost me at the first sentence. Your analysis was actually very good, and normally I would agree with everything you wrote. 

But if you watched even a second of last week’s TCU@BU game, you’d know your first sentence was wrong. The BU team was amped out of their minds through the entire game. It was a crazy emotion game for them. There’s no question that the TCU rivalry is the biggest rivalry game for both schools, and it’s not even close. Add to the century of bad blood the fact that TCU kept BU out of the CFI last year and they went into and played this game as if it were the most important game ever. And they lost in crushing fashion.

BU comes out flat against UT. Y’all are going to win by 3+ scores. Book it. 

11 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

48 degrees at kickoff, 70% chance of rain now. Fuck it, ill be there. 101st home game since 2005

Can we just move the game back to Saturday where it was originally scheduled?  Perfect weather and doesn't conflict with USA/England World Cup game. Is that too much to ask? 

The same people who are crying about us not running enough are the same people who would be crying about us being too conservative for going 44 rushes for 58 yards against instead of 22 for 28

Surly gonna surly. Part of what makes being a fan so fun though, everyone’s an expert when they aren’t doing it themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The same people who are crying about us not running enough are the same people who would be crying about us being too conservative for going 44 rushes for 58 yards against instead of 22 for 28

Surly gonna surly. Part of what makes being a fan so fun though, everyone’s an expert when they aren’t doing it themselves. 

what? I'd rather go 44 for 58 and blame Bijan and Roschon the best player in the country and the heart of the team than 17/39 and blame a freshman who has shown no reason to get to throw the ball 39 times. 

57 minutes ago, nnm said:

BU comes out flat against UT. Y’all are going to win by 3+ scores. Book it. 

We heard this same shit from the OSU fans. So let me remind you…

You are not going to come in here and out-reverse-jinx us you bastard. You’re going to win.

Actually, nah, fuck that.

We’re going to fuck you up this week.

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

We heard this same shit from the OSU fans. So let me remind you…

You are not going to come in here and out-reverse-jinx us you bastard. You’re going to win.

Actually, nah, fuck that.

We’re going to fuck you up this week.

You can call me anything you want, and I've been called many nasty things, but please, for the love of God, do not EVER make an inference that I am a RapeU fan.  Baylor and its culture are repugnant.  

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, immamac said:

what? I'd rather go 44 for 58 and blame Bijan and Roschon the best player in the country and the heart of the team than 17/39 and blame a freshman who has shown no reason to get to throw the ball 39 times. 

We should also be doing short, easy passes to running backs 5x more than we have done recently.  They are both really good receivers.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, immamac said:

Hey! We actually agree here!

But surly would definitely have a fit about unimaginative playcalling and not giving Quinn and the receivers a chance to do enough. 

Sark made a call and it failed, he’ll learn from it or he won’t and he’ll eventually fail here. 

I saw it as, we were getting stopped in the running game. We were generally stopping ourselves in the passing game. Either way it failed, but I can see why he did what he did. 

Would have liked finding more ways to run the ball in Stillwater though