NCAA changes rule, players will now be allowed to transfer without permission from their coach/school

Machinator

6 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Hopefully there is some rules in place that limit from transferring to teams on your current teams future schedule for the remainder of their eligibility.

Also does anyone else see this as open season for larger schools to back channel smaller schools top players?

No, and good for the players if I'm wrong.  And I can't believe I'm reading the bolded part.

Does anyone have a problem with a UT taking a student who went to UTSA for a couple of years and made a 4.0 there?

Waa, I should be starting.  I'm transferring.

Waa.  I want to play on offense, not defense.  I'm transferring.

Coach is mean to me.  I'm transferring.

Why don't you come play for us?  Transfer.

Your new daddy found a job in Seattle.  Transfer.

Your girlfriend is doing her MBA in Florida.  Transfer.

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 2

Player involved in a scandal...................Transfer

Can't make the grades.........................Transfer

Get a new Trans Am..............................Transfer

Wanna play baseball too.......................Transfer

FEDEX Envelope late............................Transfer

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's worth noting that conferences are still allowed to impose more restrictive transfer rules.

This and I believe you still lose eligibility, so mass chaos isn't going to ensue.  Schools/coaches limiting transfer options is pretty much just for spite.

34 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Player involved in a scandal...................Transfer

Can't make the grades.........................Transfer

So there's a player who's involved in a scandal and a player who can't make the grades... And you think the school should want to keep these players???

15 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

This and I believe you still lose eligibility, so mass chaos isn't going to ensue.  Schools/coaches limiting transfer options is pretty much just for spite.

Yeah, if you don't know why this rule is being changed, you haven't been paying attention to what schools have been doing.  The most egregious case was Leticia Romero, a women's BBall player at KSU, who wanted to transfer after they fired her coach after she was the best player on the team her freshman year:

K-State has blocked Romero from receiving immediate financial aid from 94 schools in 13 conferences. She requested a release to those 94 schools in her initial transfer request, which was denied by athletic officials. Romero appealed that decision, but it was also denied.

Jackson said K-State has granted Romero permission to contact two schools not on her initial list. He said it also briefly granted Middle Tennessee State, one of the teams on her list, permission to speak with Romero on Thursday via e-mail. But K-State retracted the offer within one hour, claiming a clerical error had been made. The e-mail was a mistake.

“Who is in charge of that athletic department? Kindergarteners? ” Jackson said. “I have never seen anything like this.… They need to release her to every school on the list. A conditional release is fine. Let her go anywhere outside the Big 12 and Northern Colorado. Until she is released this not going away. They need to end this. It’s as simple as that.”

Those words came in response to a statement issued by K-State on Wednesday evening that made its stance on Romero’s transfer request clear. Because an appeals committee denied Romero’s request for a release last month, she will not be able to obtain one. The ruling of the committee is “final and binding.”

“There is no university procedure to reexamine one of those decisions,” read the statement, which was written by K-State vice president for communications and marketing Jeffery Morris. “Thus, the university process concludes with the Appeals Committee’s decision. Also, the final and binding nature of these decisions does not allow for them to be overturned by university administrators.”

And like the Shae Patterson situation, and basically every other one, this shit made the media and the school basically backed down in shame.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So there's a player who's involved in a scandal and a player who can't make the grades... And you think the school should want to keep these players???

They shouldn't, but if he can run a 4.25 in the 40, then they will find a way to.  4.8, then he can go away.  Hell, we kept Pacman eligible for 3 years.

Edited by Whitman

1/2 an ounce of satisfaction remains in the fact that Baker Mayfield is no longer in college football.

Fuck you, you entitled motherfucker. Enjoy your 90 days in Cleveland.

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

1/2 an ounce of satisfaction remains in the fact that Baker Mayfield is no longer in college football.

Fuck you, you entitled motherfucker. Enjoy your 90 days in Cleveland.

I'll spend 90 days of ridicule in Cleveland for a signing bonus of $22,185,523.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'll spend 90 days of ridicule in Cleveland for a signing bonus of $22,185,523.

He DID just leave Norman, so I must concede the point...

10 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Thinking about playbook, signals, tendencies, etc. more than the guy playing, but probably overrated and you could hire a GA to get the same "advantage".

Yeah, that may be some coaches fear but are they going to sign a player each year from every school they play? 

I mentioned above, even though Saban spoke against it, he will likely benefit from it more than most. You have a school with a great LT and the rest of the team is shit, well why not transfer to Bama, if they need help at that one position and win yourself a ring.

Yeah, that may be some coaches fear but are they going to sign a player each year from every school they play? 
I mentioned above, even though Saban spoke against it, he will likely benefit from it more than most. You have a school with a great LT and the rest of the team is shit, well why not transfer to Bama, if they need help at that one position and win yourself a ring.
We talk about the aggy rollercoaster all the time, but when this little fun ride thing ends for Bama, (and it will eventually) it's going to be epic beyond belief..

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
8 minutes ago, bamachine said:

We talk about the aggy rollercoaster all the time, but when this little fun ride thing ends for Bama, (and it will eventually) it's going to be epic beyond belief..

I have been on that ride before, so used to it, just glad for the peak times now. One major difference in the aggy lollercoaster and Bama, they have never seen the end of the ride, they have always crashed. Probably used Aggy engineers to build their ride.

FTR, I am not saying what I said out of some form of braggadocio, I just think this will benefit the bigger programs more than the little guys.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Some of you want to hold the players more accountable than the assholes who are legally being paid. Legally being paid to exploit amateur athletes.

I hope you are not including my comments in that. I am all for making everything fair for the players. I am just not sure this is going to help any schools except those already in power. Sure, an Auburn or a Tennessee might get some help from a Bama transfer but they are already one of those programs that are in the top 25 all time. It will hurt the smaller schools or ones with no real history of success. Say Vandy somehow gets a great LT but the rest of the team sucks ass. Bama loses it's third string RB to AU, Bama picks up a possible future NFL LT from Vandy  to fill that roster spot, that can block for RB1 and RB 2 for Bama. AU moves up a single notch, Bama moves up a notch and a half, Vandy drops another notch.

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  The NCAA is broke af.  This is a small part of a much bigger fix that may never come.  

Sure, lots of stuff broke about the NCAA, which is why they should work on that instead of the stuff that wasn't broke.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bamachine said:

I hope you are not including my comments in that. I am all for making everything fair for the players. I am just not sure this is going to help any schools except those already in power..

It sounds to me like you are all for what's fair for the players, unless it hurts the level of competition.  Even if your conclusion is true (that it would hurt the competition), I don't agree with your priorities.

People with too much power sure love fixing what ain't broke. Gonna feck it all up just like every other sport.
Like any other workplace, the NCAA has people who like to justify their existence and salary by "doing something"... even if that something is useless or counterproductive. Not saying this move is, just saying..