Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

1 hour ago, wood said:

Starting? Ha. He talks about the Qualifying format being unsafe with more than 10 teams on ttrack, even though it was introduced with 11 teams and even worked with 12 teams. And still, no F1 journo challenges them on this stuff at all, because they don't want to lose access.

I didn’t want to sound too harsh.  I think these guys are all pretty much just like all the coaches I’ve dealt with, kind of jagoffs.

With the dominance they enjoyed for the better part of a decade I do think he should just shut up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I didn’t want to sound too harsh.  I think these guys are all pretty much just like all the coaches I’ve dealt with, kind of jagoffs.

With the dominance they enjoyed for the better part of a decade I do think he should just shut up.

Yeah, my bad. Didn't mean to sound like I really thought you were being easy on him.

3 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The conditions are totally different. Qualy for the race was in drying conditions, plus cooler track temp, etc.

Max

P1 1:28.6

P2 1:28.0

P3 1:28.2

Q: 1:26.7

Different conditions yes, but front row time would have put him at the top of each practice session. 

If Yuki "dominates" Danny, I'll do a shoey out of my 13yo son's football cleats that haven't been washed in a year.

2 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

If they could get the cars back down to the sizes they were 10-15 years ago there would be plenty of room for two more teams.

Amen, brutha!

• Haha 2

Max
Different conditions yes, but front row time would have put him at the top of each practice session. 

Yes, but practice times are pretty far off full beans Q3 times. I’m not trying to downplay him at all, Red Bull themselves said his times were what sealed the deal this morning. I’m just adding some context.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I am a Danny Ric fan, spent the $50 or whatever it was for his McLaren hat so I am biased. But having his personality around the grid, even if he gets beat by Yuki, is a massive net positive over de Vries.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Max

Looks like Danny did a 1:27.4 today on harder tires than RB ran in Quali.  That's a hell of a lap.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Levi said:

What kind of results does Daniel have to get in order to compete for a seat next season, whatever that may be? Is it simply comparing what he does against Perez?

Probably lots of comparisons to Yuki and others, Checo in a much better car, accounting for a million variables, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

it-was-a-nice-try-debris-v0-27jrbnhkqcbb

Some folks are out there complaining that RBR made a 'rash' decision, rushed Nick out the door, etc. IMHO they were more than patient. It was obvious much earlier in the season that the guy is not F1 material imho.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wood said:

Probably lots of comparisons to Yuki and others, Checo in a much better car, accounting for a million variables, etc.

When Danny in the Alphatauri consistently beats Checo in the RBR, I think we'll know.  :)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

it-was-a-nice-try-debris-v0-27jrbnhkqcbb1.png?auto=webp&v=enabled&s=1bc57004f0829bfc8dc7c442cb8f7adbbaa99a85
Some folks are out there complaining that RBR made a 'rash' decision, rushed Nick out the door, etc. IMHO they were more than patient. It was obvious much earlier in the season that the guy is not F1 material imho.

“bUt hE gOT poINtZ iN a wilLiAMs”

And yeah, Williams is killing the livery game

Who wore it better?

spacer.png

Less ads on the Williams makes for a cleaner look and the, but the blue on the Mc35 looked damn good in the Monaco sun.  I dunno... IMHO six of one half dozen of the other. They're both gorgeous liveries but slight edge to Williams for less ad clutter.

Williams supposedly will run their Silverstone livery at Hungary, and the Gulf at Singapore, Suzuka, and Qatar.  No complaints here.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Williams > McLaren on those liveries for sure.

Be nice if Williams can have some success leading up to the USGP so I can rock my Martini livery era gear.  I mean, I'll wear it anyway but I'd like to have my chest puffed out a little.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Athletic mailbag (Luke Smith and Madeline Coleman)

Spoiler

What can Daniel Ricciardo be reasonably expected to produce in an AlphaTauri that’s been as poor as it is this season? And is it rational to think this is clearly an audition for the second Red Bull seat next season? If he’s unable to produce any sort of results in what’s pretty obviously the worst car on the grid this season, will that nix any sort of full-time return in 2024? – Zach K.

An at-best scenario is Q2 appearances and scoring points considering the AT04’s performance, but this move at least gets Ricciardo off the sideline. He’s able to at least prove himself when he’s in a seat.

As for your other two questions, I believe that it’ll depend on how “results” are defined. Back during his McLaren days last season, Lando Norris largely outperformed Ricciardo (122 points to 37). Now at AlphaTauri, can he beat Tsunoda? I think this will be a more realistic benchmark given the state of the car. As for the Red Bull component (more on that in a moment), team boss Christian Horner is still backing Sergio Pérez, saying most recently at Silverstone that the driver just needs a clean weekend to break his recent spiral.

“He just needs to break it now. He’ll do it in Budapest, I’m confident,” Horner said. “It’s frustrating for him that he’s having to fight back all the time but he’s just got to sort his qualifying out on Saturday and as a team we will do our best to support him on that.”

Who do you think is being evaluated most by the Ricciardo signing to the AlphaTauri seat? Is this a benchmark for Tsunoda to beat for a potential RedBull promotion? Is it to put pressure on Checo for results? Or is this to see if Ricciardo is the driver of old who would be a great teammate for Verstappen as soon as 2024? – Adrian W.

A move like this arguably puts pressure on Pérez, no matter if that’s the intent or not. The Red Bull driver has been on a downward trend of late, and though he secured a podium finish in Austria, Pérez’s qualifying performance is concerning over the last several races. He hasn’t made it to Q3 since Miami at the beginning of May.

Red Bull remains confident in its driver, something Pérez echoed at Silverstone: “I have full support from (team advisor) Helmut (Marko) and Christian. The whole team is fully supporting me. They know what I can do, they know my potential, and they are fully behind me.” Horner himself said, “As in all sport, 90% of it is in the head and I think he just needs a good run and he’ll find his momentum again.” All of that is to say all signs are pointing towards Red Bull not planning to cut Pérez before his contract expires, which is at the end of 2024.

Has Daniel realized how bad that Alpha Tauri is? – James P.

It’s no secret that the AT04 is the worst car on the grid so far this season, sitting at just two points compared to ninth-place Alfa Romeo, which has nine points. Team principal Franz Tost, who is leaving his position at the end of the season, has been openly critical of the car performance.

“The engineers tell me we make some good progress but I don’t trust them anymore,” he said, in part, ahead of the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix. “I just want to see the lap time because this is the only thing that counts.” At the time, the car didn’t have enough downforce, and “therefore the car is unstable under braking, overheating the rear tires, washing-out at the apex, bad traction,” he said.

Fast forward to this past weekend and the team’s upgrades at Silverstone seemed to do little to address any problems.

Ricciardo, at first, seemed against competing for teams lower on the grid when he and McLaren parted ways. When Viaplay asked if he’d think about joining Haas, the Australian said, “To be honest, no.” So with joining AlphaTauri, points are an at-best scenario given the state of the car.

What’s going on with Sergio Pérez? He’s been bad. How much longer will Horner put up with that? – Chris M.

It’s really not been a good spell for Pérez. The victories in Jeddah and Baku that had us pondering a potential title challenge seem a long time ago now. His fightback to the podium in Austria felt like a breakthrough, only for the Q1 knockout at Silverstone to bring him back down to earth.

There aren’t any alarm bells ringing for Red Bull just yet. Team principal Christian Horner pointed out on Sunday after the race at Silverstone that Pérez was “still running second in the championship” and had extended the gap to Fernando Alonso. “We’ve got a good car,” he added. “But we need to make sure we have both cars in contention.”

Pérez not being at the front isn’t going to cost Red Bull a championship this year. But if Verstappen were to hit trouble in a race, Pérez needs to ensure he is there to pick up the pieces, or more questions will be asked, just as they were of past Verstappen teammates Alex Albon and Pierre Gasly through their rough patches.

Pérez said on Sunday he knew Horner and Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko supported him, and that he “couldn’t care less” about the speculation about his long-term future.

“I’ve been in Formula 1 for 13 years and I’ve seen it all,” he said. “I’m not worried about any of that. I’m mainly focused on getting my season on track and making sure I keep enjoying this.”

Is Lando Norris or Alex Albon an option for a seat at Red Bull? – Stuart B.

These two names inevitably come up in any chatter surrounding Red Bull’s future line-up, and for good reason. Norris and Albon have been two of the stand-out performers so far this season. They’ve routinely outperformed the machinery at their disposal this year, and Silverstone showed that when their cars are competitive, they’re incredibly hard to beat.

Red Bull has made no secret of its previous interest in Norris. Horner said last November that Red Bull had spoken “a couple of times” to the McLaren driver about a possible seat within its setup, “but every time we’ve had a conversation, the next day he’s signed a contract with McLaren.” Norris signed his latest deal at the start of 2022, committing him to McLaren until the end of the 2025 season – one year beyond Pérez’s existing contract.

Verstappen is also a fan of Norris. The pair clearly get on well, and Verstappen said on Thursday at Silverstone that Norris would be winning races if he had a car quick enough to do so. So, it would make sense on a lot of levels. It really depends where Red Bull, Norris and McLaren are whenever an opportunity comes up at Red Bull down the line. And I sincerely doubt McLaren would want to let Norris, the star they’ve helped unearth and develop, go without a big fight.

As for Albon? He’s clearly in a really good place with Williams, and I don’t see him wanting to change that anytime soon. He can be the leader to help Williams up the grid, and the central point the team can be molded around. That’s never going to happen at Red Bull.

For 2024, I don’t see anything changing at Red Bull. But looking further into the future, out of Norris and Albon, Norris is the one I’d expect to be higher on Red Bull’s shortlist as a possible driver opti

Even with all the BS with being 2nd to Verstappen and putting up with Horner and Marko, every driver on the grid would be all over a RB seat, except I guess Lando if those quotes are accurate.

Pace trumps all and a fast car will make a driver put up with a lot.