World Cup Quarterfinals - Croatia/Brazil, Netherlands/Argentina, Morocco/Portugal, England/France

Captain Ron

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

Early to mid-90s. After that he won La Liga twice, the Eredivisie with AZ Alkmaar (their second league title in history), the Bundesliga, and third place at the 2014 WC.

He took Barca back several years, chased off Rivaldo, won a German title with Bayern - which even Gregg could do.  Even his Champions League run in 2010 was due to a very fortunate draw/upsets.  He had the best Dutch team in 20 years in 2014.  He did get 3rd by getting bailed out by Mexico pulling a Mexico, a penalty shootout against Costa Rica in the quarters, and the most neurotic/untalented Brazilian squad since 1954.

52 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It is known. They so desperately want to be the Europeans of SA, but they are merely the euro (and mestizo that they hate to admit)-trash of SA.

Your whiny butthurt is fucking delicious. I wish I could inject it directly into my veins. This is pure Texags levels of rationalization and coping. @hayden_horn your tears are delicious too. Color me unsurprised that you carry water for another northern European country.

• Hook 'Em 1

Your whiny butthurt is fucking delicious. I wish I could inject it directly into my veins. This is pure Texags levels of rationalization and coping. [mention=218]hayden_horn[/mention] your tears are delicious too. Color me unsurprised that you carry water for another northern European country.

This is hilarious considering who you are. A Iranian shiria law supporting, tailored Jersey wearing, trick turning for drugs loser. It makes total sense that you would cheer for Argentina. Fuck odd you dipshit.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Holy shit Argie is acting more butthurt than any winner Ive ever seen. You’d think they’d lost.  Messi should have had a yellow for the handball and the penalty was soft as fuck and a horrible call.  

The ref wasn’t up to snuff but Argentina by far had the best of it. I wish Virgil had fucking ruined a couple of those dudes at the end of the game.  Argentina can eat a dick.  If it weren’t for Uruguay they’d be the biggest bunch of whiney bitches in the tourney.  Again, they won, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Early to mid-90s. After that he won La Liga twice, the Eredivisie with AZ Alkmaar (their second league title in history), the Bundesliga, and third place at the 2014 WC.

So he’s got a two game World Cup losing streak to Argentina. 🤔

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

Argentines are fucking puto pinche pendejos.

Typical behavior for them.

Winning?

Or beating the Dutch specifically?

OBSERVATION: Argentina is no stranger to diving and ass-hattery, especially against teams who are taller & physically superior (quick-twitch).

The Dutch have played more “cynical football” (rough/dirty/thug-ball) than total football at least since 2006. They played like hooligans from the ‘80s in their match against Portugal in that World Cup, when they premiered their flying foot stomp in an effort to break CR7’s leg.

In the 2010 Final, they started with the flying foot stomp to a Spanish player’s chest in the first 5 minutes (or so) knowing that the ref would never ruin a final by giving a red that early in the match. After that they played like brutes with a fast break outlet. 

Today, I didn’t notice the same level of thuggery, but the reactions of the Argies was also at a much higher unsavory level than anything I have witnessed in the last 15 1/2 years. 

Sure, Messi has always been a flopping bitch for club & country, but he also gets kicked and cleated all game, every game and even when you make as much as he does, that probably gets old. 

The defense is always cobbled together with gritty undersized, slower, and less skilled players who are not anywhere close to near the tax bracket of typical Argentine attacker. They kick and hold and cleat and try to get under the skin of the opponents in an ugly, time-wasting manner, but…

TL;DR

The play and the attitude today was angry and personal. I don’t know what spurred it, but today was not just a chippy game. Things must have been said and/or done on the field today in order to spur the Argentine players to this level of slime. There are frequently haters, but the way Argentina acted today gave neutrals reason to hate. 

FAVORITES AS I SEE IT:

France

Portugal 

England / Croatia

Argentina

Morocco

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

watching the replay and argentine #24 enzo fernandes should have drawn a straight red for the tackle, not just a yellow, the tackle was wild, both feet studs up, nowhere near the ball, before he drew a straight red for firing the ball in to the dutch bench and for all that the spanish drama queen hands out a single yellow

karma is coming for argentina

and coming hard

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

watching the replay and argentine #24 enzo fernandes should have drawn a straight red for the tackle, not just a yellow, the tackle was wild, both feet studs up, nowhere near the ball, before he drew a straight red for firing the ball in to the dutch bench and for all that the spanish drama queen hands out a single yellow

karma is coming for argentina

and coming hard

I slid in front of the player, not through the player, right?

Yes, each of those alone should have been yellow cards. The whole action together would have required a ref with a reputation as a stern, but fair disciplinarian coming into the match in order for two yellows to be given and the match to devote into chaos. 

Messi obviously deserved a yellow in the first half, but then he wouldn’t have gotten the yellow he did get at the end of regulation because (A) The ref wouldn’t have tossed Messi for talking to him and (B) Messi wouldn’t have pushed the envelope as much. (Also, he’s the captain, so technically he is the one to talk to the ref.)

WHO WINS TOMORROW?

I think FRANCE 🇫🇷 & PORTUGAL 🇵🇹, but the games should be close and fun.

• Hook 'Em 2

I slid in front of the player, not through the player, right?
Yes, each of those alone should have been yellow cards. The whole action together would have required a ref with a reputation as a stern, but fair disciplinarian coming into the match in order for two yellows to be given and the match to devote into chaos. 
Messi obviously deserved a yellow in the first half, but then he wouldn’t have gotten the yellow he did get at the end of regulation because (A) The ref wouldn’t have tossed Messi for talking to him and (B) Messi wouldn’t have pushed the envelope as much. (Also, he’s the captain, so technically he is the one to talk to the ref.)
WHO WINS TOMORROW?
I think FRANCE & PORTUGAL , but the games should be close and fun.

Napoleon, you are a good dude. But don’t carry Argentina’s water. Imagine if that was Brasil and did all the same things…be honest, you would call for two reds.

11 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Napoleon, you are a good dude. But don’t carry Argentina’s water. Imagine if that was Brasil and did all the same things…be honest, you would call for two reds.

Brazil DOES do all the same things. 

I have not rewatched, but I felt that the slide was definitely in front of the guy, got a bit of the ball, the Dutch guy would have had to leap up not to trip over the defender’s legs, which should be a yellow. 

Firing the ball into the stands would maybe get a warning if the ref even saw it. Crushing it into an empty seat should get a card as well, but so should every player who came on the field from the bench, plus Virgil for sure for the body slam and then maybe some other Dutch guys who were playing who may have already been on yellows. 

So you give the Argie two yellows and then about 10 Dutch guys get yellows and maybe some of them get their second yellows and then boom!

An Argentine asshat’s actions now leave the game with 10 Argentines & 9 Dutch players. I can’t see how that would be a good thing.

Edited by Napoleon

Argentina got very lucky with the ref today , he shouldn’t get another match at the WC.  And no tears shed for holland.  They are kind of turd like too.  I’m rooting for Morocco and France.  Final of Morocco and Croatia would make me laugh my ass off.

I cheer for Brazil because I was born into it (similar to you). My father and grandmother are/were Brazilian. But growing up and watching futebol with my pops every Saturday morning he always loved the Netherlands after Brazil. And so I did too. One of my favorite memories is from 1998 when my two brothers and I were traveling through Europe and watched the game in San Sebastián, Spain between Brasil and the Netherlands. It felt like the three of us were the only Brazil fans in this tiny dive bar in the old town. Taffarel became a legend with his winning performance in the shoot out. As we walked back to our rental a Dutch guy in an orange jersey saw me in my Brasil Jersey and came up and said congratulations what an amazing game and shook my hand. Great memory and game (I wish I didn’t remember anything after that in regards to that WC). I like the Dutch.

Fuck Argentina and their cheating fake euro asses.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have not rewatched, but I felt that the slide was definitely in front of the guy, got a bit of the ball, the Dutch guy would have had to leap up not to trip over the defender’s legs, which should be a yellow. 
Firing the ball into the stands would maybe get a warning if the ref even saw it. Crushing it into an empty seat should get a card as well, but so should every player who came on the field from the bench, plus Virgil for sure for the body slam and then maybe some other Dutch guys who were playing who may have already been on yellows. 
So you give the Argie two yellows and then about 10 Dutch guys get yellows and maybe some of them get their second yellows and then boom!
An Argentine asshat’s actions now leave the game with 10 Argentines & 9 Dutch players. I can’t see how that would be a good thing.

Hold on, I think this happens a lot on forums…

I’m not saying Brazil or Italy or even Germany don’t do those things. They do. I’m saying they should be called on it. And today, in the WC, it definitely needs to be called out. And had Brazil don’t the same shit with Croatia (hand balls, hard tackles, kicking the ball into the bench of the opposing team), I’d feel the same way. There is gamesmanship and there is “gamesmanship“.

I think Neymar is an elite player but I also feel the same as most of y’all, he dives. A lot. But I wouldn’t say it’s more than any other elite from Latin countries (I say Latin, not latino because they starts and ends with Italy. Fucking crybabies).

I remember watching that Netherlands/Portugal Match in 2006 was the most entertaining WC game ever. Like 6 minutes in, a Dutch guy cleats Ronaldo in the thigh and starts a scuffle. From there, it ended up being the game with the most cards handed out, and I believe most red cards in 1 match. I don't even remember who won, but there was something like 16 cards in that game, and it was full of tough challenges, slide tackles, dives and all sorts of shenanigans. Fun times. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just saw this ESPN article. 

If this is the extent of the anger, then the Argies are regarded. (The ref did not give the Dutch a single free kick that they didn’t deserve. To say this after getting a soft-as-fuck PK is just shameful.)

Lionel Messi says Netherlands coach Van Gaal 'disrespected' him before Argentina World Cup win

Lionel Messi said he felt "disrespected" by Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal and blasted the referee after Argentina beat the Dutch 4-3 on penalties in a thrilling World Cup quarterfinal at Lusail Iconic Stadium in Qatar on Friday.

Messi assisted Argentina's first goal for Nahuel Molinaand then scored a second from the penalty spot as Argentina took a seemingly commanding 2-0 lead in the 73rd minute.

But two late goals from Dutch substitute Wout Weghorst, the second off the back of a free kick in the 11th minute of stoppage time, sent the match to extra time and eventually a penalty shootout.

The contest, though, got increasingly heated. At one point Leandro Paredes blasted the ball in the direction of the Netherlands bench before Dutch captain Virgil van Dijk responded by knocking Paredes to the ground.

After his goal, Messi directed a celebration toward the Dutch coaching staff and then confronted Van Gaal after the match.

image.thumb.jpeg.dc30288b46324b535d34a8f36ae3c675.jpeg

"I feel disrespected by Van Gaal after his pregame comments and some Dutch players spoke too much during the game," Messi told reporters.

Van Gaal had suggested ahead of the quarterfinal that Messi did little to help his team when they don't have the ball.

"Van Gaal sells that he plays good football and then he puts forwards in the box and starts throwing long balls," Messi said of Van Gaal's tactics. "We deserved to go through and that's what happened."

Goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez, who was the hero for Argentina in the shootout by saving the Netherlands' first two efforts from Van Dijk and Steven Berghuis, similarly had strong words for Van Gaal.

"I heard Van Gaal saying 'we've got an advantage on penalties, if we go to penalties we win,'" Martinez said. "I think he needs to keep his mouth shut."

Both players were also fiercely critical of the performance from Spanish referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz.

"I don't want to talk about the referee because you can't be honest," Messi told Argentine TV.

"If you talk they sanction you; FIFA must think about it, they can't put a referee who isn't up to the task for these instances."

Added Martinez: "I thought we controlled the game really well. We went 2-0 up but the ref started to give everything to them.

"All of a sudden a good header for them and all turned upside down. The ref added 10 minutes for no reason.

"He gave free kicks outside the box for them two, three times. He just wanted them to score, that's basically it, so hopefully we don't have that ref anymore. He's useless."

Argentina's win puts them through to their fifth World Cup semifinal and second in the past three tournaments, where they will take on Brazil's conquerors Croatia.

"We didn't expect to go to extra time, let alone to penalties," Messi said. "We suffered, but we are playing a World Cup quarterfinal.

"Argentina shows game by game that we know how to play. We came out with intensity and desire and we understood the moments of the game.

"We needed this and we are happy the whole country is celebrating now. [Martinez] once again showed that he's the best saving penalties.

"Croatia is a great team. They move the ball very well, they have been working together for a long time, it will be very hard."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/argentina-arg/story/4829757/lionel-messi-says-netherlands-coach-van-gaal-disrespected-him-before-argentina-world-cup-win

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I remember watching that Netherlands/Portugal Match in 2006 was the most entertaining WC game ever. Like 6 minutes in, a Dutch guy cleats Ronaldo in the thigh and starts a scuffle. From there, it ended up being the game with the most cards handed out, and I believe most red cards in 1 match. I don't even remember who won, but there was something like 16 cards in that game, and it was full of tough challenges, slide tackles, dives and all sorts of shenanigans. Fun times. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

remember i'm a neutral here...

the same things that brazil didn't do today:

- both feet studs up no ball - that's a red - no caveats - early, late, through the player, playing the ball, not playing the ball, it doesn't fucking matter - both feet studs up no ball is straight red

- same player gets up fires the ball IN TO THE DUTCH BENCH - your comment about firing the ball in to the stands is stupid - it makes no sense - that's not what happened - the ref did see what happened - the ref saw the ball fired in to the dutch bench - straight fucking red

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Just saw this ESPN article. 

If this is the extent of the anger, then the Argies are regarded. (The ref did not give the Dutch a single free kick that they didn’t deserve. To say this after getting a soft-as-fuck PK is just shameful.)

Lionel Messi says Netherlands coach Van Gaal 'disrespected' him before Argentina World Cup win

Lionel Messi said he felt "disrespected" by Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal and blasted the referee after Argentina beat the Dutch 4-3 on penalties in a thrilling World Cup quarterfinal at Lusail Iconic Stadium in Qatar on Friday.

Messi assisted Argentina's first goal for Nahuel Molinaand then scored a second from the penalty spot as Argentina took a seemingly commanding 2-0 lead in the 73rd minute.

But two late goals from Dutch substitute Wout Weghorst, the second off the back of a free kick in the 11th minute of stoppage time, sent the match to extra time and eventually a penalty shootout.

The contest, though, got increasingly heated. At one point Leandro Paredes blasted the ball in the direction of the Netherlands bench before Dutch captain Virgil van Dijk responded by knocking Paredes to the ground.

After his goal, Messi directed a celebration toward the Dutch coaching staff and then confronted Van Gaal after the match.

image.thumb.jpeg.dc30288b46324b535d34a8f36ae3c675.jpeg

"I feel disrespected by Van Gaal after his pregame comments and some Dutch players spoke too much during the game," Messi told reporters.

Van Gaal had suggested ahead of the quarterfinal that Messi did little to help his team when they don't have the ball.

"Van Gaal sells that he plays good football and then he puts forwards in the box and starts throwing long balls," Messi said of Van Gaal's tactics. "We deserved to go through and that's what happened."

Goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez, who was the hero for Argentina in the shootout by saving the Netherlands' first two efforts from Van Dijk and Steven Berghuis, similarly had strong words for Van Gaal.

"I heard Van Gaal saying 'we've got an advantage on penalties, if we go to penalties we win,'" Martinez said. "I think he needs to keep his mouth shut."

Both players were also fiercely critical of the performance from Spanish referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz.

"I don't want to talk about the referee because you can't be honest," Messi told Argentine TV.

"If you talk they sanction you; FIFA must think about it, they can't put a referee who isn't up to the task for these instances."

Added Martinez: "I thought we controlled the game really well. We went 2-0 up but the ref started to give everything to them.

"All of a sudden a good header for them and all turned upside down. The ref added 10 minutes for no reason.

"He gave free kicks outside the box for them two, three times. He just wanted them to score, that's basically it, so hopefully we don't have that ref anymore. He's useless."

Argentina's win puts them through to their fifth World Cup semifinal and second in the past three tournaments, where they will take on Brazil's conquerors Croatia.

"We didn't expect to go to extra time, let alone to penalties," Messi said. "We suffered, but we are playing a World Cup quarterfinal.

"Argentina shows game by game that we know how to play. We came out with intensity and desire and we understood the moments of the game.

"We needed this and we are happy the whole country is celebrating now. [Martinez] once again showed that he's the best saving penalties.

"Croatia is a great team. They move the ball very well, they have been working together for a long time, it will be very hard."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/argentina-arg/story/4829757/lionel-messi-says-netherlands-coach-van-gaal-disrespected-him-before-argentina-world-cup-win

That does not reflect well on Argentina. Their own words make them out to be insufferable assholes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

- both feet studs up no ball - that's a red - no caveats - early, late, through the player, playing the ball, not playing the ball, it doesn't fucking matter - both feet studs up no ball is straight red
- same player gets up fires the ball IN TO THE DUTCH BENCH - your comment about firing the ball in to the stands is stupid - it makes no sense - that's not what happened - the ref did see what happened - the ref saw the ball fired in to the dutch bench - straight fucking red

Tem razão.
  • Like 1

Lahoz should be taken to task, but he is a known commodity.  Anybody that watches La Liga, knows the match will be like a telenovela - and most of the players from both sides have experience with him.  

The fact that he didn’t control the game from the get go is the problem.  Call a tight game at the beginning, throw a card or two when things start to go - players adapt. When you let shit get too far, you end up with what you get today.  Messi deserved a yellow for the handball in the first half.  But like Napoleon said, he won’t be telling the ref he shits in his mothers milk at 9+ mins into second half stoppage.  As a general rule, any ref should hand Otamendi a caution around minute 25 for good measure.  Paredes deserved two yellows for his bull shit.  At least 4 Dutch subs should have been sent off for going onto the field.  None of that happens and this is what you get.  That being said, players just want consistency even if it’s shit.  The result is the same and the players decided the game.

I get pissed off at children acting like shitbags in public, but they aren’t the problem.  They act how they are allowed to act.

Any resulting karma coming to the Argentines would be deserved, of course.  The are Argentines.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I'm saying that even into the stands gets the attention of the Ref. If you follow soccer, it's an observation, it's not stupid. I am acknowledging that just firing the ball away is not just nothing.

I didn't watch the full Brazil match, but no, they didn't do that today. I don't think think that they have done that this tournament. They absolutely did it again Colombia in 2014 and that's why Colombia finally went into Neymar's back with a knee. Brazil should have been down to 9, or even 8 players by the time Neymar got hurt. I never said that Brazil did it today, I just said that Brazil does it. And they paid for it, but it wasn't the ref that made them pay, because the ref wasn't going to be the one to keep Brazil from the final week of their own tournament.

Again, I don't remember the feet studs up going into the player. Perhaps you saw a different angle, but the angle I saw did not show studs going into the player at all. Perhaps you could post this version that has the studs going into the player... that'd be great.

13 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

So I think you are right, but looking at an absolute scale and not relative one.  Both of those should be red cards.  But when you don’t caution things that should be cautioned, the definition for send offs get fucked up.

29 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

The shithousery in that game would have been epic. 

Might not have been enough stretchers in the entire country.

There was not much shithousery last year in the final of the Copa America. I don’t think that there would have been nearly as much as today’s ARG/NED match. 

Just now, Napoleon said:

There was not much shithousery last year in the final of the Copa America. I don’t think that there would have been nearly as much as today’s ARG/NED match. 

There wasn’t shithousery, but Neymar got the ever living shit kicked out of him all game and nobody got sent off.  There were 9 cautions though.  The only possible crew would be an Uruguayan one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It would be equal if not worse. We’ll never know because Brazil pooped their panties. Thought maybe this would finally be the year I care about a team in the finals.