Oklahoma Recruiting 2024: Sunken Eyes and Licking Lips

Constant

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

"What's better than Norman?" - pretty much everything. Every other choice would have been a better choice than Norman.

Seriously. I could rattle off 100 other better choices than Norman. Maybe the kid likes trailer parks, meth, and two-toothed women.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm sure DeMarco Murray will maximize a kid who also wants to play baseball in the shorter time he has with him.

Allegedly, Tatum is a potential high MLB pick. 

In the aggregate, he's currently listed as the #1 TB in the country and I have no idea how that's a thing that has happened.

• Hook 'Em 2

Sooners hope their newest East Texas back is more like Adrian Peterson and less like these two beasts:

04F1957D-E897-4F99-B576-D8AFAA144347.thumb.jpeg.e233fe5624d7928134d94a2c9cc8580a.jpeg

(*Van, TX—Town listed is incorrect)

084FE48C-0BBD-48C9-89FF-0219D367FFA4.thumb.jpeg.31f31f6c2b71b002d005f570f8a083d3.jpeg

Total contribution from them—

26 G, 70 Carries, 266 Yds, 1 TD, 5 Rec, 39 Yds

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

unlikely his mom looks like this

Hide contents

image.png.089d0f0a32943485b4f70a5f3f4f8494.png

Village bicycle looks to be in excellent condition.

17 hours ago, SamMan said:

Sooners hope their newest East Texas back is more like Adrian Peterson and less like these two beasts:

04F1957D-E897-4F99-B576-D8AFAA144347.thumb.jpeg.e233fe5624d7928134d94a2c9cc8580a.jpeg

(*Van, TX—Town listed is incorrect)

084FE48C-0BBD-48C9-89FF-0219D367FFA4.thumb.jpeg.31f31f6c2b71b002d005f570f8a083d3.jpeg

Total contribution from them—

26 G, 70 Carries, 266 Yds, 1 TD, 5 Rec, 39 Yds

Village bicycle looks to be in excellent condition.

Half Day Peterson scored a grand total of 1 TD vs the Horns in his career 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

OU's good fortune at least gives us the chance to taunt Lincoln Riley, who said he couldn't recruit to Norman.

Lincoln Riley fucked up.jpg

His SC recruiting looks a lot like his OU recruiting.  A few highly ranked offensive skill players and some spares on the defensive side.  The skill player rankings bring the total class up so it looks good.  The subplot here is that OU beat him head to head for even a skill guy but yes, the list of RB busts out of Texas is long and legendary.

OU is now getting interest and commits from blue chip defensive guys now and Riley couldn't even get this guys to visit.

I can’t figure out if this some turn towards performance art for Venables because he’s having some sort of midlife crisis or if he’s telling us the truth and some dude named “Gavin Freeman” is really someone they’re hanging their hopes on. I feel like I can’t lose irrespective of which direction this is heading. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can’t figure out if this some turn towards performance art for Venables because he’s having some sort of midlife crisis or if he’s telling us the truth and some dude named “Gavin Freeman” is really someone they’re hanging their hopes on. I feel like I can’t lose irrespective of which direction this is heading. 

see, i was curious as to who this guy was

image.png.aae48a8727d3eb8001afb7a13d94eeba.png

committed to Air Force for a few months, then committed to Texas Tech for a few months for a scholarship, then de committed from there and committed to OU. as a walk on.

On3 had him as a CB, ESPN had him as a WR.

on the OU roster they list him as 5'8" and 175 #

image.png.e02a0cfd893eda8247849278821cc813.png

the Venables quote is real: https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/college/sooners/2023/08/02/ou-football-gavin-freeman-is-poised-big-2023-season-oklahoma-sooners/70507417007/

But which receiver has impressed OU football head coach Brent Venables the most?

“The best receiver coming out of spring was Gavin Freeman by a long way,” Venables said. 

more quotes from that article

“People go, ‘Oh man, we must suck at receiver,’” Venables said. “I don’t think that’s reflective of that whatsoever. I think it’s more about what Gavin Freeman brings to the table and how hard he works.

"We're not entitled to anything. No player, coach or as a program. He epitomizes that, and I have great appreciation for that."

this is amazing

Even in a limited role, Gavin displayed his speed last season. Two of his 10 touches went for over 40 yards.

“Some guys make the tough plays, the competitive plays,” Venables said. “Some guys don’t. They come in all shapes and sizes. My man is wide open. He wins everything.” 

as far as i can tell, and OU's stats don't match ESPN's, but per OU's stats he had a 41 yard catch vs Kansas (1 of 2 catches for the year, the other one was 1 for 4 yards vs OkState) and had 1 rush for 46 yards vs UTEP

here is the catch vs Kansas. if he was 5'10" vs 5'8" he wouldn't have had to dive and it would have been a walk in TD

if he is the best WR on the roster why did he get 7 rushing attempts last year vs 3 catches?

Despite not being highly recruited out of high school, Freeman has stood out on an OU team that's loaded with talent.

And while the former walk-on is happy to get praised by Venables, he knows there's still work to be done.

"It means a lot to me just because I've put in a lot of work," Freeman said. "But I just have to stay focused. I haven't done anything on the field yet, so I have to put it together."

---

neither here nor there but OU's game vs OkState last year was hilarious. here is the drive results:

• TD
  • TD
  • Punt
  • TD (4 yards)
  • 3 plays and a fumble
  • TD
  • Punt
  • Punt
  • turnover on downs
  • INT
  • 4 and out
  • 5 and out
  • 3 and out
  • 3 and out
  • 3 and out
  • 3 and out
  • 3 and out
  • 3 and out
  • kneeled on last play of the game

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 6:16 AM, NoName said:

Um, if he doesn't slow down halfway in the route while looking at the ball as it sails through the air, its a walk-in touchdown. Not sure highlighting your #1 receiver unable to track a ball is a great look. Nice dive though

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Being a Longhorn fan has trained my offseason bullshit detector quite well.

When you read these practice reports from both ou and aggy, it sure seems like those teams are in for rough seasons.

Honestly, aggy seems like they are where we were in the offseason leading up to 2011. No, nothing to worry about. 2010 was a weird anomaly and I'm sure our crackerjack staff will turn this ship around.

*sobs

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

ou will look fine this year simply because their schedule is absolute ass. They dodge everyone at the top of the Big 12 except us. Fortunately that will build false hope and confidence there, and then when the SEC grind begins they will be truly fucked. 

They should be able to absorb a buttfucking from us and still finish with 8 or 9 wins, which should be enough to keep Venables around I think.

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to watch them in year two under Venables.  They were basically a powder puff team under Riley, which is what USC is now.  It generally takes at least a calendar year of S&C to get a team back to where they need to be.  If they're remotely back on an S&C level, they'll easily win 10 games just because of the schedule.