Oklahoma Recruiting 2024: Sunken Eyes and Licking Lips

Constant

18 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Jackson Arnold. If I would have to bet today, I would say the kid is going to be pretty good. I don't know about program defining good, but I think he will definitely be an upgrade over what they have in place right now. 

Jackson Arnold seems like he sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I'm trying to understand this. Is that an image of Jai Valai as some sort of retort to some random recruiting update from months ago? 

Regardless, OU acting like landing Bowen is some sort of big win over Texas is simultaneously humorous and fulfilling. I hope they sign 10 more mediocre midgets like him. Texas paid passing attention to the guy and had bigger priorities.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Didn't the OU Gundy get fired for saying the n-word? I would say Venables 1st staff was a fucking disaster on the same level as Strong.

The entire Dabo coaching tree is a disaster, Chad Morris, Jeff Scott, Tony Elliot and Venables. These are Charlie Strong or worse performances, Dabo and the Clemson cult are a one off and anyone trying replicate it are in for program breaking experience. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Looking through the list of their commits - Did Venables pay for a Saturday afternoon seminar on roster management from Tom Herman?  So many WR's/CB/S.  Everybody outside the top247 and no interior players to speak of.

The best thing I've seen recently was that trash fanbase hoping this kid was a PWO...   Nope - full scholarship player.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Looking through the list of their commits - Did Venables pay for a Saturday afternoon seminar on roster management from Tom Herman?  So many WR's/CB/S.  Everybody outside the top247 and no interior players to speak of.

The best thing I've seen recently was that trash fanbase hoping this kid was a PWO...   Nope - full scholarship player.

Looks like they may land 5* DL David Stone.  OU picks coming in for him.

On 8/25/2023 at 7:57 PM, Hiphopopotamos said:

The interior recruiting battles seem to last longer for the elite guys.  We'll see what it looks like by signing day.  

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'll give Venables and Bates credit, they're getting commits on the defensive side that wouldn't even visit under LR.  Sure, they won't get all of them but if they get a blue chip front seven guy every year, that's a wild improvement from what they had before.  

Their 2023 DL class was dogshit. Stone fell into their laps. Native Oklahoman, lifelong Sooner fan that visited dozens of times. 

Now I won’t cast stones. Texas has plenty of Austin locals the past few cycles. Stone is good get, but took favorable circumstances to get him. 

Can somebody recap the DJ Hicks recruitment? Why were the Sooners confident? How did Fong get it wrong? I remember Hicks being all aggy for a couple years yet the Sooner mods are still celebrating finishing second. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Their 2023 DL class was dogshit. Stone fell into their laps. Native Oklahoman, lifelong Sooner fan that visited dozens of times. 

Now I won’t cast stones. Texas has plenty of Austin locals the past few cycles. Stone is good get, but took favorable circumstances to get him. 

Can somebody recap the DJ Hicks recruitment? Why were the Sooners confident? How did Fong get it wrong? I remember Hicks being all aggy for a couple years yet the Sooner mods are still celebrating finishing second. 

I don't know if you're counting edge separately from DL but Adebawore can ball. In this class Jackson is solid, but of course they just overbid at the auction.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Fair enough. Mizzou building a possible fence around that state cuts both ways I suppose. 

You’re usually pretty fair in your assessments so this doesn’t make sense.  OU dline recruiting is legit.  

The knock is this very well could be a total garbage ass hc, so talent won’t matter.  That’s why most OU fans who aren’t morons (not many) are more just relieved with the solid recruiting, and not head over heels. 

11 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You’re usually pretty fair in your assessments so this doesn’t make sense.  OU dline recruiting is legit.  

The knock is this very well could be a total garbage ass hc, so talent won’t matter.  That’s why most OU fans who aren’t morons (not many) are more just relieved with the solid recruiting, and not head over heels. 

Legit is a pretty strong word, Stone and the Missouri kid from last year are both legit. Jayden Jackson is a top 150-200 kid that you outbid everyone else for and there’s pretty much nothing after that the last 2 classes. You really need to close on Okoye for it to be anywhere close to legit and even then you lack any depth at all.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, bEastTexas said:

Legit is a pretty strong word, Stone and the Missouri kid from last year are both legit. Jayden Jackson is a top 150-200 kid that you outbid everyone else for and there’s pretty much nothing after that the last 2 classes. You really need to close on Okoye for it to be anywhere close to legit and even then you lack any depth at all.

It’s totally legit.  I count edge there too.  It’s 2 classes.  Look up legit.  I didn’t say world class.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They also whiffed on about a dozen DL/edges of the past two classes who they felt good about in at least at one point in time, several of which they had built-in advantages, like Dindy and Overton 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

They seem confident in landing Nigel

He’s a jag. Classic tweener who is telling teams he wants to play edge at the next level. He was a top 50 player in the country as a sophomore and his ranking has steadily dropped since. Him and Zina Umeozulu are almost identical from a hype as an underclassman vs production as an upperclassman standpoint.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

They also whiffed on about a dozen DL/edges of the past two classes who they felt good about in at least at one point in time, several of which they had built-in advantages, like Dindy and Overton 

still can't believe they lost that guy to A&M

• 2 weeks later...