the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

Good luck to the moderates like Don Bacon justifying their votes and defending every bad clip of Johnson. (Bacon is a yes, so the moderates are likely just going to go along to get along)

He’s also so unknown that I highly doubt he’s going to be the fundraising juggernaut that McCarthy was. House GOP coffers aren’t going to get any infusions of cash from House leadership PACs or Trump lol

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

Get the lettuce ready once he passes some stuff MAGA will shank him just like they did McCarthy.

Any attempt to keep the government open = death knell for him. Ukraine aid = death knell. 

37 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

October - November 2023

6. return to legislating.    lulz. Welcome back, i guess.

October - December 2024

1. EXPAND OUR MAJORITY.    you buried the lead, Mr. Johnson.

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

Making Johnson the speaker is a gift for the Democratic Party. I would say it’s equal to not having a speaker.

I sure hope so, part of me is glad this sociopath is getting the absolute worst job in America.  Watching him navigate the Trump trials politically will be the high wire clown act of the century. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I sure hope so, part of me is glad this sociopath is getting the absolute worst job in America.  Watching him navigate the Trump trials politically will be the high wire clown act of the century. 

That and the Speaker is routinely one of the more hated people when polling the public 

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He can’t fundraise for the entire party, his beliefs are poison for his party, he doesn’t have the experience or chops to handle the position, and he offers zero cover for GQP candidates trying to distance themselves from trump. This is going to be a complete disaster for the Republican Party.

image.gif.7c6640cbd00f980cf98c1499a9dac86b.gif

• Hook 'Em 7

21 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

Give that man (who is in the closet) some credit; this is the most planning the got has done since 2020 and actually listed what they want to do 

Has he released his position on Hunter Biden's dong  (other than hopeful for reverse cowgirl)?

Just now, tokamak said:

Let me get this straight:

1. Emmer beat this guy fair and square in the conference vote
  2. Far right immediately says no way to Emmer
  3. Everyone who voted for Emmer over Johnson ("moderates" lol): "ok, that's fine"

Wow, what backbone. What principles. I'm in awe of their steely resolve.

The modern GQP

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, tokamak said:

C'mon dude. You know exactly how that would play out.

Hide contents

Fox News: "Democrats are cutting YOUR Social Security!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

People in the FN (or the more deplorable networks) bubble are unreachable, but they aren't sufficient to win jack shit. An actual cut to SS is the end of the GQP as a viable national party. Now, a new center-right leaning party that peels off folks from the Dems is a possible result, but that might take an election cycle or two for that to shake out. We're overdue for a party coalition shake-up. The current "system" has arguably existed since Nixon's southern strategy. The previous systems all lasted 30-40 years. 

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

So he's going to fail to get 217 and we do this whole charade again tomorrow?

He’s gotten Buck, Bacon and Burchette. He’s going to get it. Only 1 GOP absent today and 3 Dems. Doesn’t even need 217. Needs 215

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

Also notable is that both brexit and this shit were heavily underwritten by russian propaganda and disinformation absolutely dissolving the idea of objective truth and a common set of facts. It's the same intellectually disengaged and rhetorical grievance filled shitty arguments both here and in the UK. 

To be completely fair, that's been the case since the 1910s. There's always been this pretty active minority who were whole-hog against objective truth and reality. It had a very solid foothold here. Russian propaganda just gave it the itsy bitsy tiny push it needed to go completely off the rails.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

image.png.760c9ab20f39d29e278724038a05f792.png

Accountability: the Watchword of the GOP

I'd like to cuff that smug smirk off his lying face.

This is the game. Does this pasty gang of degenerates look like they're interested in playing politics? No. They're in the war against the republic. They actually laughed at a reference to the insurrection then shouted down the questioner.

Maybe I'm off the deep end, but I think the political discussion on this thread about the implications of who gets elected speaker from this bubbling cess pool are sort of stuck in the past. There are no GOPs (maybe a few, I guess) at all interested in becoming more moderate. 

These are defenders of rebellion. The do so in the clip above. These are constant liars. These people have no policy agenda other than painting Dems as dangerous enemies of the country and collecting on the fear and hate they create. And they don't give a fuck about the interests or health of this country.

The US would not miss a single one of these weasles who might emigrate away to another country or an incinerator somewhere. Not a single person in that picture is worth the skid mark on a homeless man's underwear. 

So dealing with them or hoping for something good from them is futility. The only answer is removing them from power. Peaceful means remain available.

Lana Del Rey Yes GIF

I don't think anyone here expects a Speaker to be approved that's worth a damn. More to the point, I don't think anyone here expects the GOP to approve a Speaker.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Wow, what backbone. What principles. I'm in awe of their steely resolve.

That’s the thing.  In that party you either get steely resolve or unity, it’s not possible to have both.  You either have principles with a splintered party full of chaos or you have a united party with a complete lack of moral character.  

“That’s some catch, that Catch 22.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh, so he's CRAZY crazy

The congressman who represents northwest Louisiana said Tuesday that California atheists are trying to spy on Christian student groups at a Bossier Parish high school.

U.S Rep. Mike Johnson, the first-term Republican representing Louisiana's 4th Congressional District, claimed that what he described as "atheist litigation groups" in California were trying to get hidden video of Christian student activities at Benton High School.

https://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/news/2018/09/18/louisiana-congressman-says-atheists-spy-bossiers-christian-students/1347673002/

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Lana Del Rey Yes GIF

I don't think anyone here expects a Speaker to be approved that's worth a damn. More to the point, I don't think anyone here expects the GOP to approve a Speaker.

...ok I was a little behind the times when I wrote this things move fast and i'm old ok???

• Hook 'Em 1