Joe Biden 2023: The Dark Brandon Rises

StassneyHorn

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

Because they’re assholes too

Yeah, this is it for the non-nazi contingent of the GOP. And they don't for one second take seriously the idea that Trump is an actual, serious threat to the world because they don't think he's a danger to them and fuck everyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 2

GenZ is awash in economic misinformation:

The viral $16 McDonald’s meal that may explain voter anger at Biden

https://wapo.st/3GgeaaP

TikTok abounds with misleading or inaccurate information about the economy. One video in September with 2.3 million views said there was a “SILENT DEPRESSION.” Another video from this summer with 2.1 million views claimed, incorrectly, “We have the lowest purchasing power we have ever had in American history,” and asserted that inflation-adjusted wages are lower than they were then. (Disposable income per capita is, in fact, more than five times larger than it was in 1930, adjusted for inflation.) A third video, with 1.8 million views, similarly falsely claimed, “We currently are making less than the height of the Great Depression.” TikTok and YouTube have dozens of videos of this kind, making similarly false claims.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

TikTok is doing to Gen Z what Facebook did to boomers in 2016. Chinese or Russians, doesn't matter. Our gullibility knows no end. 

We genuinely need some legislation around data collection and microtargetting users. It's absolutely insane how much we let private, for profit entities steal our data and monetize it

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

TikTok is doing to Gen Z what Facebook did to boomers in 2016. Chinese or Russians, doesn't matter. Our gullibility knows no end. 

CA is on the tright track of teaching media literacy to their kids. But overall, as citizens we just lack a lot of critical thinking... or just having the ability to pause, reflect, and think about what we consume with any semblance of curiosity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, elfenix said:

GenZ is awash in economic misinformation:

The viral $16 McDonald’s meal that may explain voter anger at Biden

https://wapo.st/3GgeaaP

TikTok abounds with misleading or inaccurate information about the economy. One video in September with 2.3 million views said there was a “SILENT DEPRESSION.” Another video from this summer with 2.1 million views claimed, incorrectly, “We have the lowest purchasing power we have ever had in American history,” and asserted that inflation-adjusted wages are lower than they were then. (Disposable income per capita is, in fact, more than five times larger than it was in 1930, adjusted for inflation.) A third video, with 1.8 million views, similarly falsely claimed, “We currently are making less than the height of the Great Depression.” TikTok and YouTube have dozens of videos of this kind, making similarly false claims.

Hmm, I wonder who could possibly be behind this?  Certainly a Chinese spy app wouldn't lead our youngs astray?  The Rooskies I'm sure are on the up and up as well.  God fucking dammit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YChang said:

CA is on the tright track of teaching media literacy to their kids. But overall, as citizens we just lack a lot of critical thinking... or just having the ability to pause, reflect, and think about what we consume with any semblance of curiosity. 

It's literally a platform plank of the republican party to be opposed to critical thinking. It's no accident that our collective ability to discern bullshit has been reduced and diluted

6 hours ago, YChang said:

It's come up a few times, but I think curiosity is really the key.  That usually implies an interest in what's going on and why.  A lot of people of #bothsides lack much interest.  And some have interest coupled with complete credulity, especially when what their being told fits their world view.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's come up a few times, but I think curiosity is really the key.  That usually implies an interest in what's going on and why.  A lot of people of #bothsides lack much interest.  And some have interest coupled with complete credulity, especially when what their being told fits their world view.

Combination of cognitive and confirmation biases.

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

GDP revised UPWARDS  to 5.2%.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-third-quarter-economic-growth-revised-up-52-2023-11-29/

How are you celebrating Bidenomics today? Might just get me an ice cream cone for lunch

It's concerning despite the data that most businesses and citizens don't feel positively about the economy. The admin can't solve biases and stupididity but they really need a plan/action to manage this. 

GDP revised UPWARDS  to 5.2%.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-third-quarter-economic-growth-revised-up-52-2023-11-29/

How are you celebrating Bidenomics today? Might just get me an ice cream cone for lunch

5.2, beat projections by 0.3
Revisions to inflation were stable or revised downward (PCE)
Wages, personal disposable income, savings all revised upwards

"Why a good economy is bad for Joe Biden in 2024" 

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

It's concerning despite the data that most businesses and citizens don't feel positively about the economy. The admin can't solve biases and stupididity but they really need a plan/action to manage this. 
Yeah but a quarter pounder with cheese is $15.23! Trying to fill an entire formal dining room at the white house would now cost as much as an F-35!

fc3e42a08bc2490ba080dff3fde9b996.jpg

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

5.2, beat projections by 0.3
Revisions to inflation were stable or revised downward (PCE)
Wages, personal disposable income, savings all revised upwards

"Why a good economy is bad for Joe Biden in 2024" 

It’s because, while it’s a good economy, it doesn’t feel like a good economy to us average-earning blokes. How is that hard for people to understand? You can be right, because of the data, but continuously saying you are right because the “data says the economy is good so stop complaining”, that doesn’t make people racking up debt to keep the same quality of life warm at night. 

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

It’s because, while it’s a good economy, it doesn’t feel like a good economy to us average-earning blokes. How is that hard for people to understand? You can be right, because of the data, but continuously saying you are right because the “data says the economy is good so stop complaining”, that doesn’t make people racking up debt to keep the same quality of life warm at night. 

If you decide to rack up the debt, instead of changing your consumption, you have decided that yes it’s a good economy and I can pay it back.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/18/2023 at 7:36 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Not to mention that corporations kept prices jacked up because they fucking felt like it. Chicken wings went from $13 for 10 pieces to $20 and never came back down, despite wholesale costs going down. Fuck em all. 

On 11/18/2023 at 8:09 AM, Underdog said:

That’d be a lot of chicken fucking. 

fixy

59 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Did you get a side salad cause you wanted to eat healthy? Jesus Christ, glutton

I was not expecting a “I can’t eat lunch for under $35” today

Is 13 wings considered gluttonous? I needed some fiber and roughage for the ol colon. 

3 hours ago, BeardIP said:

You need to explain this to me, because I don't understand it.

For the average-earning bloke, this isn't just a good economy; it's a great economy.  The average-earning bloke has no worries about unemployment.  Even if he lost his job, he'd be able to find a new one in very short order.

The average-earning bloke's purchasing power has never been higher.  And as a result of that, the average-earning bloke's debt has increased consistent with the pattern seen during economic expansions (consumer debt only decreases during recessions).  People are taking on more debt because they can afford it and are secure in their income streams.  Consequently, the number of houses in active foreclosure is at its lowest point in years, and the number of mortgages that are delinquent is running well below pre-pandemic levels.

So the average-earning bloke has a job, is secure in that job, has plenty of money to spend, and is paying his mortgage and credit cards.  So yeah--it's pretty fucking hard for me to understand why it doesn't feel like a good economy to said bloke.

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

I spent $36 today for an unsweet tea, 13 wings, and a side salad at Pluckers today (including tip). It's crazy and reminded me why I almost never eat out for lunch.

Pluckers has that effect on people.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

You need to explain this to me, because I don't understand it.

For the average-earning bloke, this isn't just a good economy; it's a great economy.  The average-earning bloke has no worries about unemployment.  Even if he lost his job, he'd be able to find a new one in very short order.

The average-earning bloke's purchasing power has never been higher.  And as a result of that, the average-earning bloke's debt has increased consistent with the pattern seen during economic expansions (consumer debt only decreases during recessions).  People are taking on more debt because they can afford it and are secure in their income streams.  Consequently, the number of houses in active foreclosure is at its lowest point in years, and the number of mortgages that are delinquent is running well below pre-pandemic levels.

So the average-earning bloke has a job, is secure in that job, has plenty of money to spend, and is paying his mortgage and credit cards.  So yeah--it's pretty fucking hard for me to understand why it doesn't feel like a good economy to said bloke.

Pluckers has that effect on people.

I don't really understand it either, intellectually. But Harvard (below) can probably explain it better than I can attempt to, and I think I agree-- it's mainly the cost of food that makes you feel like you are in a losing battle (and my anecdote of Pluckers made that point for myself today, first time I've been there in years and was shocked).

It's just confusing because you feel poorer (wage stagnation for a lot of folks, inflation and borrowing costs increasing, home buying out of reach for most, etc.), but yet we can't stop buying tickets to sporting events and concerts and vacations, apparently, to hear the news talk about it.

I think @StassneyHorn nailed it in a way I hadn't thought-- if you are using consumer finance and debt (and reports are that while Black Friday spending was good it was because of a record high use of Buy Now/Pay Later quasi-financing like Klarna, affirm, etc.) instead of changing your consumption behaviors it's because you are either a) thinking it's a temporary trough or b) the word "austerity" is a word we cannot comprehend in America.

--

Recent polls show most Americans feel the U.S. economy is in tough shape and getting worse. In one, 76 percent rated economic conditions in the U.S. negatively, while 74 percent said rising food prices were having the greatest impact on their finances, according to a new poll from the Financial Times and the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2023/11/why-americans-feel-inflation-economy-are-much-worse-than-they-are/

Yea thirteen wings for lunch is gluttonous. Feel bad

I'm not ready to dismiss this out of hand yet, and this is probably not the thread, but I'll need a second and third opinion on this one. @Ghost of LL: is 13 Pluckers wings gluttonous? 

Edited by BeardIP

I once had a lobster roll and 4 tito's & soda at Liberty for $78, so this hits close to home.  I ended up almost late for my flight so had to 'the Fall Guy' off of that moving walkway in the United terminal with my roller bag and sprint to the gate.  I dropped the greasy receipt during my sad rush to the jetway so I never did recoup that expense from work.  Just as well, nobody wants to turn in a $78 single meal in Jersey.  Little did I know, I coulda gone viral.  Discretion being the better part of Newark.  

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I spent $36 today for an unsweet tea, 13 wings, and a side salad at Pluckers today (including tip). It's crazy and reminded me why I almost never eat out for lunch.

Wat 

Pluckers has an 8 wing lunch combo with a side for like $15 and a drink is, what, $3? You couldn’t eat 5 less wings and spend ~$25?

13 isn’t even one of their combo sizes?

Edited by Js1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wat 

Pluckers has an 8 wing lunch combo with a side for like $15 and a drink is, what, $3? You couldn’t eat 5 less wings and spend ~$25?

13 isn’t even one of their combo sizes?

Did the lunch special (8) and added 5 wings a la carte. 5 wings is $8.50. https://pluckersweb.com/drink-menus/Pickup-delivery-online-menu.pdf

I guess I could have stopped at 8 wings, because apparently anything more is gluttonous. Crazy because when I was younger I easily at 15-20 and had all those free coupons for the Pluckers in West Campus from games.

Also TIL that Pluckers is considered gross and not respected on the level of BWW and Wingstop.

Edited by BeardIP