Joe Biden 2023: The Dark Brandon Rises

StassneyHorn

nmnm

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This goes in the old-person thread in DT, but I always found it amusing that even back on Shaggy, somebody could make an LBJ joke and a bunch of people immediately understood it (depending on the context of the thread, either JFK or ballot boxes, or Big Dick).

Did we all have the same poli sci or Texas history teachers or professors?  It's got to be a Texas thing.  If I say "well there's the joke/story about LBJ" to an out-of-state relative, they automatically go to "that he had JFK killed?", but on Shaggy/Surly, in the right thread, people automatically go to the ballot box shenanigans, or a pants tailoring joke.

Maybe we all took the same course or at least heard the same campus anecdotes.  Updegrove loves to talk about the "Johnson Treatment", about him physically intimidating others to do what he needed done.  And still others talk about the toilet meetings.  And then still others talk about the infamous nude bathing rituals at his ranch house to show dominance via his large genitals.  I don't think I ever heard the ballot box stories, that's lost on me.  As is how troph just has random access to tan-line fucked poultry. 

Go Joe Biden, I suppose.  But yes, ;)  .........LBJ was in on it.  I wasn't in that book suppository.  And I certainly don't know anybody who was anywhere near that Dallas Plaza.  But sometimes a person's face dropping at a cocktail party is all you need to know.  And no, the person who gave it away...just this one time, was not in fact-Frank Stallone.  Speaking of chicken fucking

Edited by YGIFS

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I don't think I ever heard the ballot box stories, that's lost on me.

Box 13?   If the ballot box stories didn't happen, LBJ might be a very minor footnote in our Texas history books (or at the very least, he ends up a Senator who dies in office in the early 70s).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_13_scandal

LBJ invaded everyone’s personal space and did it because no guy ever beat his ass for doing it. And the reason nobody ever beat his ass is because he went to a women’s school in college.

Fakest fake faker this world has ever seen and anyone who went to school in San Marcos is a pussy too

Shots fired

Rings a vague bell.  I never really took much of an interest in him, despite a lot of courses in GOV in Florida/the South, until I met some folks at UT who were close to him.  And for glaringly obvious reasons, they didn't bring stuff up like this.  

csb/ My 95 year old uncle from South Texas looks a lot like LBJ would have looked had he grown older.  And if you've seen him, Mark Updegrove, former head of LBJ library and one of his primary biographers looks a lot like an a slightly older, but still handsome, version of a certain "Mad Men" character.  I brought my uncle up to the Library once for some free event and got a pic of him with Mark and sent it some people.  And everybody texted back the same thing, "how the fuck did LBJ and Don Draper meet in real life?"  

17 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

LBJ invaded everyone’s personal space and did it because no guy ever beat his ass for doing it. And the reason nobody ever beat his ass is because he went to a women’s school in college.

Fakest fake faker this world has ever seen and anyone who went to school in San Marcos is a pussy too

Shots fired

When physically threatened, to paraphrase Robert Caro, from childhood LBJ would lie on his back and start thrashing his legs violently while shouting something like "don't you hit me! I'll kick you!" It had nothing to do with him going to what is now Texas State. They had their first football team in 1904 ffs.

Are you drunk?

Edited by safe sex
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Box 13?   If the ballot box stories didn't happen, LBJ might be a very minor footnote in our Texas history books (or at the very least, he ends up a Senator who dies in office in the early 70s).

I’m familiar with the story. But, this is new:

n 2023, tapes confirming the story recorded by Associated Press reporter James Mangan, were donated to the LBJ Presidential Library and Museum. Mangan was able to corroborate the story with Luis Salas, who worked as an election judge in South Texas

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, safe sex said:

When physically threatened, to paraphrase Robert Caro, from childhood LBJ would lie on his back and start thrashing his legs violently while shouting something like "don't you hit me! I'll kick you!" It had nothing to do with him going to what is now Texas State. They had their first football team in 1904 ffs.

Are you drunk?

He’s a strong man like I’m sober.

I've been pretty happy with Biden overall. Maybe the polls mean nothing at this point. But, I'd like to hear folks views on a scenario that probably will enrage many.
Let's assume that for whatever reason, it looks like in the 1st quarter that Biden is going to lose to Trump. And assume Joe Manchin is polling strongly against Trump. Would you hold your nose and be supportive of Biden announcing he isn't running and Manchin as the Democratic candidate? Manchin is probably in the pocket of special interests, but if it meant no Trump, I'd support it. I'd support a dead body over Trump.

I’ll entertain this: living in TX your presidential vote doesn’t matter. I’d vote for Manchin because fuck Donald Trump and I’m not going to watch
him take the country down from 2025-29 knowing I voted for him. Pretty easy really.
Fuck off. It’s a scenario being discussed by many right now. 

lol no it’s not. Manchun running as a third party is. Biden stepping aside and Manchin being the nominee is not being discussed at all because it’s not on the table.

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wow, I can't believe I hadn't read about this. 

Lulz at the "found" ballots being 200 to 2 in favor of LBJ and the alphabetical order and same handwriting stuff. What a hack job of a crime they got away with. 

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

What does this mean?

Doesn't mean anything, just an observation that there are two big jumps surrounded by smaller ones throughout. I missed the 12-22% jump the first time I read it, but my eye automatically went to the 24-32% jump and just observed it was bigger than the others. I'm sure there was a good math and data & analytics reason for how it was broken down and don't have a problem with it, just struck me as an interesting observation:

image.png.9df6091a9e62a8130ec76f209ac75f69.png

1 minute ago, BeardIP said:

Doesn't mean anything, just an observation that there are two big jumps surrounded by smaller ones throughout. I missed the 12-22% jump the first time I read it, but my eye automatically went to the 24-32% jump and just observed it was bigger than the others.

Marginal tax rates were fixed at those levels in 2017.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Marginal tax rates were fixed at those levels in 2017.

I'm sure, and again, I'm all for it, just noticing that there isn't a pattern that I didn't know about before seeing that, and then assuming it's because there is good data/reasoning behind (e.g. a large % of folks land in those buckets, some data models and formulas suggest this is the way to optimize income, etc.).

Edited by BeardIP

3 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I'm sure, and again, I'm all for it, just noticing that there isn't a pattern that I didn't know about before seeing that, and then assuming it's because there is good data/reasoning behind (e.g. a large % of folks land in those buckets, some data models and formulas suggest this is the way to optimize income, etc.).

OK, I thought you might have been implying that this was something new.  Just for clarity, the IRS adjusted the income levels associated with those rates, not the rates themselves.

Onward . . .

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

Wow, I can't believe I hadn't read about this. 

Lulz at the "found" ballots being 200 to 2 in favor of LBJ and the alphabetical order and same handwriting stuff. What a hack job of a crime they got away with. 

LBJ lost his first bid to the Senate essentially the same way

6 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

45% of the vote for that guy, huh? 

Keep reminding them that he helped push through the warp speed COVID 19 vaccines, that he loves communist dictators, and that he was friends with the Clintons and with Epstein.  You wouldn't necessarily keep them home, but it still pisses them off.

19 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Goldman Sachs experts think there’s just a 15% chance of recession next year.

Goldman has been the most accurate at predicting the economy the past 12 months of all the big banks, but I'd be remiss if I didn't give a counterpoint of:

UBS, in contrast, is expecting the U.S. economy to dip into a recession by the second quarter of 2024; as a result, the bank is forecasting rate cuts starting in March, with the terminal rate hitting 1.25% by early 2025. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-11-13/ubs-strategists-see-far-deeper-fed-rate-cuts-than-market-pricing

20 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Keep reminding them that he helped push through the warp speed COVID 19 vaccines, that he loves communist dictators, and that he was friends with the Clintons and with Epstein.  You wouldn't necessarily keep them home, but it still pisses them off.

No it doesn’t. He’s infallible to them.

apparently they were ads scheduled to run during a Univision interview with Trump. they also canceled a scheduled response to the interview from the Biden camp.

it sounds like they got some new corporate overlords. surprise.

Edited by mchookem

On 11/9/2023 at 11:00 PM, safe sex said:

Are you drunk?

After that story I feel like gettin drunk.

• Drool 1