Good birthday gift for a 10 yr old boy

got a 10yo and most gifts revolve around sports equipment (basketball, baseball mitt, etc...), dry fit material shirts/hoodies and xbox related crap.  'toys' don't ever get played with as far as I can tell.  occasionally, he can't fall asleep and will bust out a lego set and build for a little while, but that's it.

If you are hesitant on the idea because it will make him an xbox crack head, then you are correct.  I coach some of my boy's sports teams and it (Fortnite) is literally all they talk about when they get together.

• Like 2

snap circuits

star wars lego sets

zoob sets

https://www.google.com/search?q=zoob&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS773US773&oq=zoob&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.951j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

my 10 year old loves all of the above.

loves half price books gift certs too as he loves to read and he can pick his own stuff to supplement the regular library visits.

"lord of the rings trilogy" and "hobbit" books

"Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series of books

2017 version of the Ipad

Edited by zork
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Surprised no one has mentioned a 15yr old girl or a bike. He would probably like the bike better but give him time. While he can ride both, the 15 yr old girl will provide more of a challenge.

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Does he have a bike?

Uhhh . . .

Give him a savings bond. Any 10 year old would be thrilled to receive one of those. Or a Certificate of Deposit in his name. 

Serious answer, get him something that he can do outdoors. A tent, a bike, a powered scooter. Something that will make him want to be outdoors. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, it's a great gift.  I mean, I tried to give my son a 15 YO girl when he was 10 but he was kinda confused.  The bike, though, that was a big hit.  'til she took it from him.

Yeah, well look at it this way: It prepared him for adulthood like no pocket knife ever would.

16 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Get him started on model rocketry.  I loved that stuff when I was his age.

Great idea, I remember model rocketry as kid.  I started out with the kits, and then went on to design my own rockets, even submitting drawings to Estes and Centuri to as their opinion as to whether the designs were flight worthy or death traps.   It's very stimulating to the mind and creativity.

On 6/18/2018 at 3:31 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

If you are hesitant on the idea because it will make him an xbox crack head, then you are correct.  I coach some of my boy's sports teams and it (Fortnite) is literally all they talk about when they get together.

exactly.  so make sure you don't let your son play video games so he can feel completely left out and the other kids can tease him all day long about it.

On 6/18/2018 at 3:31 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

got a 10yo and most gifts revolve around sports equipment (basketball, baseball mitt, etc...), dry fit material shirts/hoodies and xbox related crap.  'toys' don't ever get played with as far as I can tell.  occasionally, he can't fall asleep and will bust out a lego set and build for a little while, but that's it.

This is exactly my fear.  I'm torn on getting him something he wants (xbox) vs. the fights and wasted time in front of the system.  It's really tearing at me.

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

I’m sure he would enjoy a nice quality tomahawk. 

Who wouldn't? But of course there is the issue of ordering a quality tomahawk and whether he would get it on time. Fort Turner is definitely out when it comes to that. H & B Forge put out a quality axe, but it takes time as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 7:45 PM, Bevo said:

Surprised no one has mentioned a 15yr old girl or a bike. He would probably like the bike better but give him time. While he can ride both, the 15 yr old girl will provide more of a challenge.

why waste your time with a 15 yr? I mean by 14 he will be banging his math and English teachers