2023 Dallas Cowboys "We Suck Again" Off-Season Thread

LTtxfan

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/35652794/predicting-2023-nfl-offseason-moves-how-teams-improve-free-agency-draft-cuts-trades#DAL

Resolve the running back situation.

After years of having a clearly defined one-two punch, the Cowboys can go in several different directions at running back. Ezekiel Elliott's status is in question after he has battled injuries the past two seasons, while Tony Pollard, an unrestricted free agent, fractured his left fibula in Dallas' playoff loss to San Francisco. Both players could be back in 2023, or the team could start over.

Let's start with Elliott, who was a franchise cornerstone before signing a six-year, $90 million extension before the 2019 season. He averaged 4.7 yards per carry and 101.2 rushing yards per game before the extension, but he has been limited to 4.2 yards per carry and 66.9 yards per game afterward.

Over that four-year span, per NFL Next Gen Stats, Elliott's 1,013 carries have generated just 54 rush yards over expectation (RYOE), suggesting that he could be ably replaced by a league-average back. (Pollard's 510 carries have generated a whopping 446 RYOE over that same stretch.) Elliott has a popular reputation as a valuable short-yardage back, but he has generated five fewer first downs over expectation than an average back would have gained in the same situations.

The Cowboys owe Elliott nearly $11 million in 2023 as part of a $16.7 million cap hit. What is particularly notable for the team is how it handled things last offseason, when Elliott struggled through a disappointing 2021. Dallas usually restructures the contracts of its star players every year to create short-term cap space, albeit at the risk of eating more dead money when it moves on from those veterans. The Cowboys conspicuously declined to restructure the deals of Elliott and offensive tackle Tyron Smith last spring, suggesting the organization was preparing to move on from both players this offseason.

Designating Elliott as a post-June 1 release would free up $10.9 million in cap space for the Cowboys, who are projected to be $7.6 million over the cap for 2023. Releasing Smith under the same designation would free up another $13.6 million. Both moves seem likely unless either player is willing to take a pay cut.

Elliott is a great pass protector and might still be something close to an average veteran back, but that skill set would typically price out in the $4 million range in free agency, which would be a massive drop from his current deal. He might be subject to the "hometown premium," where an offer that represents market value would be insulting from a team that had been paying a player much more for years.

Pollard's situation is suddenly much trickier after his injury, which also required surgery to repair ligaments from a high ankle sprain. It's unclear whether he will be ready to play by the start of training camp, which could depress his value on the open market. I projected Pollard to land a deal in the ballpark of three years and $36 million if he got to free agency. And in hindsight, the Cowboys might have planned to use the $10.1 million franchise tag to keep him for 2023.

Now, with the ankle complicating Pollard's availability, the 25-year-old might be in position to land only a one-year deal for $6 million or so in free agency, which could cause the Cowboys to let him hit the open market and see if he lands a more significant offer. The easiest solution for the team would be to move on from Elliott, franchise Pollard and add a veteran back who can play early in the season while Pollard gets up to speed, but the Cowboys don't do easy well.

Edited by pacman

This is a very deep draft for RBs. I’m cutting Zeke even if he plays for free. I’m also letting Pollard head down the road with his broke leg. Keep Malik, draft one in rd 3 or 4, sign some udfas. That saves $21 mill or so.

I would go ahead and extend CeeDee as he’s due $21 mil in 24. Franchise Diggs next year if you can’t come to term. We need a FA WR.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

He won’t be anywhere near where they’ll be drafting, so this is just noise by either Dallas to drive up the cost of someone trading up to get him, or (and far more likely) Chicago’s camp (or even Stroud’s camp) trying to drum up more interest.

Edited by lilMAC25

Diggs can gtfo. I want to see him actually lay into someone with a hard hit. I want to see him not bite on a double move every time. I need to see him earn his place as a top CB instead of a crazy risk taker. No way he’s worth too CB money after making business decisions all season. He ain’t no Deion.

We need to get CeeDee extended now. He’ll make $20 mil on his fifth year because of his pro bowls. Let Diggs prove it and then franchise in 24 if needed. Parsons will command maybe the biggest contract for a defensive player ever.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry and McCarthy's latest interviews and PC's really go into depth about how lost they are in modern football and how this franchise will never, ever win anything of consequence until Jerry dies.  Some of it is comical.

Just fucking burn it down.  Unless Zeke comes back on a 2m or less contract, it's an overpay.  His legs slow to cement in the 2nd half of the season.  Good thing we got that 5th round pick AND the option of keeping an overpaid player who's salary cap number has been beyond his value to the team for the last 4 years.

Why not both?  The short sightedness of continuing to be aggressive but still running the ball as a foundation of the offense is sort of weird.  It's a false choice.  And it's not about just blindly running the ball.  It's about running the ball when we need to be running or when we have to (4 minute drill protecting a lead), we've been bad a both.

These are just a couple of examples.  There's a bunch others if you want to go research.  From other comments, it seems Dalton Schultz is out the door.  Apparently we want a bigger guy who can block more.  Meh.  I just don't think Dalton is worth 5 figures per, but if he really liked it and wanted to come back at 6 or 7m per then I'd listen.

The safety class look very slow and unathletic this year.  The cornerback class may be the deepest in years.  I wouldn't exclude the Cowboys from drafting two CBs this year.  Looks like LVE may be moving on as well.  That's fine, but we need a badass MLB to continue to allow Parsons to play edge, OLB, and move around in formations.  

26 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Is Pollard supposed to be ready Game 1?

Loved last offseason when we signed Michael Gallup to a nice deal and he was injured to start the year and then never quite looked 100%...Then dumped Amari Cooper for 3 cents on the dollar.

Yes, that is the official word at this time.

10 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The Cowboys should dump both. Just draft another guy or 2, maybe find someone on the scrap heap. Fucking idiocy is what this is.

You're too late. Cowboys tagged Pollard today.

Franchising Pollard says it’s his last year here. Draft a rb in 4th or 5th round and pick up a UDFA or two. Give Malik good quality reps. Cut fucking zeke even if he plays for free. His cap hit stinks. I probably let him go. There is some FA Oline hee red up out there

• Hook 'Em 1

Ramsey's not that dude anymore, but an appropriately motivated Ramsey is probably still a top 10 corner.  20m is an overpay, that said, with Diggs and Parsons on rookie deals, we need to do something beyond re-signing Donovan Wilson on the defensive side.  Again, I think we need 2 more CBs and this is a deep CB draft.  I think we need a hair on fire MLB, trade?  And another 1 tech, they've used draft picks on a couple of those, will they every become anything more than marginal players?

The Jones' want you to think they can't make any moves because of the salary cap but that's total bullshit, they simply won't make any moves instead hoping things go just right for them with minuscule margins and making terrible decision based on Jerrah's whims, but still seeing large yearly positive cash flow.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone seen this Marriot/Michael Irvin video that was released over the weekend?

What a weird story. If Michael Irvin was railroaded by the woman, Marriot and NFL Network, I hope he continues going scorched earth (e.g. lulzy $100mm suit against Marriot Intl., etc.) and clears his name above and beyond shadow of doubt.

Edited by HamsterHookah

There’s pretty wide variation to Marriott’s description of the events vs Irvin’s lawyer’s interpretation of the video. I’m curious to see what’s it shows. 

did they drop the video to the public somewhere or are we still just basing the contents on the lawyer accounts from both sides?

Edited by George

hard pass on jalen ramsey.  he's not worth $20mm plus a 3rd and whatever player we would have to give up.  this draft is super deep in CB talent.  we can pick up a decent CB who will play significant snaps for us and not have to pay $20 to ramsey for the next 3 years.

13 minutes ago, George said:

There’s pretty wide variation to Marriott’s description of the events vs Irvin’s lawyer’s interpretation of the video. I’m curious to see what’s it shows. 

did they drop the video to the public somewhere or are we still just basing the contents on the lawyer accounts from both sides?

I'm operating under the assumption that if the video was bad for Irvin it would be out there already.

23 minutes ago, George said:

I thought I heard it was released Friday; the judge wouldn't let Marriot keep it under wraps. Was hoping one of your sleuths had seen it.

Just now, HamsterHookah said:

I thought I heard it was released Friday; the judge wouldn't let Marriot keep it under wraps. Was hoping one of your sleuths had seen it.

Here is the headline I read:

Judge lambasts Marriott lawyers, allows Michael Irvin hotel video to go public

Marriott was ordered in court Friday to produce an unredacted video to Irvin.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2023/03/10/judge-lambasts-marriott-lawyers-allows-michael-irvin-hotel-video-to-go-public/

hard pass on jalen ramsey.  he's not worth $20mm plus a 3rd and whatever player we would have to give up.  this draft is super deep in CB talent.  we can pick up a decent CB who will play significant snaps for us and not have to pay $20 to ramsey for the next 3 years.

Some numbskull on NFLN said he averaged $12.5 for rest of contract. Shot I gotta look at spottrac on every one of these experts. Good pass on Ramsay Jerry.

I just don’t want them doing stupid shit like they almost did last season matching Randy Gregory’s Denver deal. Whew that was a close fuckup.

Stephen has gutted Jerry. No more big time trades or moving players for more picks.

Irvin said he had just gotten back from having drinks with former Cowboys safety Michael Brooks. He admitted that he is unsure of what was said during the brief conversation because he had been drinking.

“It was a minute meeting somewhere in the lobby. I don’t even remember it really because I had a few drinks to tell you the truth,” Irvin said.

That is obviously troublesome for Irvin. If he cannot recall what he said because he was intoxicated, it will be tough for him to deny whatever allegations the woman made.

My guess is that Irvin's drunk ass probably dropped a couple of mildly out-of-line comments while hitting on the broad, and she later tried juicing the story in case she could figure out a way to get paid. Then the NFL catches wind of her complaint, boots Irvin from the game, and Irvin laughably sues for $100 mil.  If the video is just some security footage from across the lobby its probably not gonna have audio of the conversation. 

He withdrew the federal lawsuit and refiled under state court in Arizona.   
Press conference today at 11am and he and his attorney will show the video

"Michael Irvin refiles lawsuit vs. Marriott in Arizona, will release surveillance video" via @SportsDayDFW https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2023/03/14/michael-irvin-refiles-lawsuit-vs-marriott-in-arizona-will-release-surveillance-video/

3 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

He withdrew the federal lawsuit and refiled under state court in Arizona.   
Press conference today at 11am and he and his attorney will show the video

"Michael Irvin refiles lawsuit vs. Marriott in Arizona, will release surveillance video" via @SportsDayDFW https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2023/03/14/michael-irvin-refiles-lawsuit-vs-marriott-in-arizona-will-release-surveillance-video/

Just saw the video: https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2023/03/14/michael-irvin-refiles-lawsuit-vs-marriott-in-arizona-will-release-surveillance-video/?sailthru_id=62680c5c4f757f64bada3c21&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Breaking_03142023&utm_term=Breaking News

Watch: Michael Irvin releases surveillance video, refiles lawsuit vs. Marriott in Arizona

Irvin’s legal team in his $100 million suit against the hotel chain showed the video on Tuesday.

From what I can tell, he starts talking to her around the 35 second mark and they end with a handshake at the 2:07 mark (no audio).

At some point before the handshake you can maybe make an argument he checked out her butt and said something, maybe? That's a stretch and all I got that would be offensive....

Edited by HamsterHookah

4 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Based on what was in the video,

Irvin is about to own a couple of Marriott Courtyards.

From the article which is a little more damning and you can never really prove one way or another:

“Irvin also reached out and touched the Victim’s arm during this conversation without her consent, causing her to step back, becoming visibly uncomfortable,” Marriott attorney Nathan Chapman wrote in the document. “Irvin then asked the Victim whether she knew anything about having a ‘big Black man inside of [her].’ Taken aback by Irvin’s comments, the Victim responded that his comments were inappropriate, and she did not wish to discuss it further.

“Irvin then attempted to grab the Victim’s hand again and said he was ‘sorry if he brought up bad memories’ for her.’ The Victim pulled her hand away and tried to back away from Irvin as he continued to move towards her.”

Irvin’s lead attorney, Levi McCathern, disputed the details from Marriott.