2018 MLB Thread

Netzer

2 hours ago, Rustic Horn said:

A's trying something new...

Sounds like a good change.  We went to the A's game the Monday after the Texas-Cal game a couple of years ago and there seemed to be more stadium employees there than fans.  Some guy sat down in our almost entirely empty section (we were second level - got the tickets for about $7) and there were two employees surrounding him asking for his tickets by the time he sat down.  He stayed there for the entire hot-dog eating while pretending to not speak English, etc.  By the time he left, there must have been at least 6 employees there discussing the situation.

Edited by Texas Wahoo

Solid trade for the Jays IMO. They rid themselves of a criminal and get a good closer in the prime of his career. Before the Houston contingent jumps in, Giles’s peripheral stats are still fantastic (31 k / 3 BB, 2.28 FIP) but I do think he needed a change of scenery after what’s transpired the last 12 months. 

AFAIK, the facts are:

1.  Police arrested him and have released virtually no details on the evidence they have.

2.  He pleaded not guilty. 

3.  MLB did an investigation (supposedly met with victim) and concluded that he violated the domestic violence rule and suspended him for 75 games.  

4.  He was eligible to appeal this suspension, but agreed not to, perhaps to reduce the suspension.

5.  He's due in court again next week.

1 + 3 + 4 really makes me wonder what sort of evidence there is.    I assume they'll now be trying to get a plea deal and suppress any evidence.  

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be allowed to play baseball again, but, trading for him before he's been to court (and during his suspension) seems a wee bit imprudent.

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

AFAIK, the facts are:

1.  Police arrested him and have released virtually no details on the evidence they have.

2.  He pleaded not guilty. 

3.  MLB did an investigation (supposedly met with victim) and concluded that he violated the domestic violence rule and suspended him for 75 games.  

4.  He was eligible to appeal this suspension, but agreed not to, perhaps to reduce the suspension.

5.  He's due in court again next week.

1 + 3 + 4 really makes me wonder what sort of evidence there is.    I assume they'll now be trying to get a plea deal and suppress any evidence.  

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be allowed to play baseball again, but, trading for him before he's been to court (and during his suspension) seems a wee bit imprudent.

If there is one thing that that the Astros' front office is not, it is imprudent.  I agree that on its face, this move doesn't look great, but I trust that Luhnow and his crew have good information and good reasons to make this deal.  

3 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

If there is one thing that that the Astros' front office is not, it is imprudent.  I agree that on its face, this move doesn't look great, but I trust that Luhnow and his crew have good information and good reasons to make this deal.  

There's no doubt that Osuna is a real talent and can help the Astros win games.  I know that's what Luhnow and his crew have good info on.  

I don't think we have any idea how Luhnow weights the impact of a guy beating up a girl, or anything along those lines.  Perhaps I've missed something?

And then there's this:

3 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I really need to see the transcript on this one.

DjYtR2oVsAAQCUa.jpg:large

1.  "We are confident Osuna is remorseful, has willfully complied with all consequences.."   HE PLED NOT GUILTY.

2.  "Our zero tolerance policy related to abuse of any kind."  Is this serious?  You just traded for a guy who's on a DV suspension.  He'll be on *YOUR ROSTER* for the next week while he's on a DV suspension.  In what sort of world is that a zero tolerance policy???

Luhnow is an awesome GM, but he went full retard here.

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

DjYtR2oVsAAQCUa.jpg:large

1.  "We are confident Osuna is remorseful, has willfully complied with all consequences.."   HE PLED NOT GUILTY.

2.  "Our zero tolerance policy related to abuse of any kind."  Is this serious?  You just traded for a guy who's on a DV suspension.  He'll be on *YOUR ROSTER* for the next week while he's on a DV suspension.  In what sort of world is that a zero tolerance policy???

Luhnow is an awesome GM, but he went full retard here.

Hard to disagree

19 minutes ago, Scraps said:
21 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
Go check out the Astros thread -- most of them aren't very happy about this.  

Please don't send him to our thread ever. Thanks

I only wander in there to talk shit whenever the teams are actually playing each other, and my posting history reflects that. I don't want to kill whatever brain cells I have left reading you guys' thoughts on baseball. 

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I only wander in there to talk shit whenever the teams are actually playing each other, and my posting history reflects that. I don't want to kill whatever brain cells I have left reading you guys' thoughts on baseball. 

riiiight. it's everybody else's posts that make you dumber. this post makes it feel like rocko never left. 

46 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

That's a fun trade.

Sims used to be a top prospect and he's still only 23.

Wisler was starting in the majors (and getting bombed) when he was like 22.  He was the top prospect included in the Kimbrel deal.  

And Tucker looks kinda like Duvall did at his age, if you squint hard enough.

Who's the surly guy who hates Duvall?

Edit: Ha, like I was saying:

Edited by Beau Vine

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I really need to see the transcript on this one.

OK, this is amazing.  This is a very smart guy spouting absolute bullshit that he actually thinks the people not as smart as him will accept:

DjZrR27UYAAckva.jpg

"Roberto has served the penalty that MLB felt was appropriate?"

He's still suspended.  He'll be serving a DV suspension while he's on your roster.  How stupid does he think his audience is?

Edited by Beau Vine

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

OK, this is amazing.  This is a very smart guy spouting absolute bullshit that he actually thinks the people not as smart as him will accept:

DjZrR27UYAAckva.jpg

"Roberto has served the penalty that MLB felt was appropriate?"

He's still suspended.  He'll be serving a DV suspension while he's on your roster.  How stupid does he think his audience is?

Have you seen his numbers?

As a casual baseball fan, some of these division and wild card races are about to get spicy as fuck down the stretch. Gun to my head, I wouldn’t really even know a good answer for the 4 NL teams (talking after the one game wild card, since that’s a play in game). Cubs, and dodgers for sure, at least in so capacity, but who else could you really put your money on at this point. 

39 minutes ago, txhorns said:

So you have no problem with what Osuna did because he is a good closer?

Allegedly did. Numbers trump most everything in the sports world. If Altuve beat his wife/girlfriend this weekend, he’s not getting cut Monday.

It is a little bit odd that with the issues they have had in the minor leagues, the zero tolerance stance of the organization, and how vocal Verlander and others have been that they would go this route. It is the textbook definition of hypocritical.

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

Waiting for the Astros fans who eviscerated Chapman for his (dismissed) domestic violence case to give Osuna the same treatment. 

I know you don't really care, but Houston sports radio was livid across the board this morning at this trade.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

“It’s a tough situation,” Justin Verlander said. “I think the thing for us to remember here is that the details haven’t come to light. We don’t know the whole story. Obviously, I’ve said some pretty inflammatory things about stuff like this in the past and I stand by my words. But I think with an ongoing case, as is this one, it’s kind of just ‘see what happens.'”

Yeah, a guy accepted a 75-game unpaid suspension for beating his kid's mom, but maybe he didn't actually beat his kid's mom, we'll never know until the details come to light.

JV belongs in that "Guys everyone should like" thread, but then he goes and does this.

Edited by Beau Vine

12 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, a guy accepted a 75-game unpaid suspension for beating his kid's mom, but maybe he didn't actually beat his kid's mom, we'll never know until the details come to light.

JV belongs in that "Guys everyone should like" thread, but then he goes and does this.

If you watched the interview, it was painfully obvious that he was not on board and just trying to say something to get the reporters to leave him alone.  I know you've been on a rampage over the past half day to blame anyone and everyone associated with the Astros for this, but JV should not be one of your targets.

Edit: And, honestly, what is he supposed to say?  He made a point to say that while he doesn't know the specific details, he stands by his previous words.  That's about as strong of a "if you did this, fuck you" to Osuna as could be expected from a soon-to-be teammate.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If you watched the interview, it was painfully obvious that he was not on board and just trying to say something to get the reporters to leave him alone.  I know you've been on a rampage over the past half day to blame anyone and everyone associated with the Astros for this, but JV should not be one of your targets.

Look, don't turn this on me.  If it's wrong, it's wrong, and if you're a man, you own up to that.  Luhnow did the exact opposite of that, and JV didn't either, especially because Luhnow said that he discussed acquiring Osuna with guys on the team.

And I like the Astros.  I'm old enough that I grew up rooting for both the Astros and the Rangers, because when I was a kid, the Rangers were fucking terrible and you had to have other teams to root for once they were mathematically eliminated in June.   Altuve, Springer, Correa, Verlander are among the most likeable players in the league.  So I still like the Astros (in spite of the efforts of Harsin, Nobis, and utgrad97), a lot, and that's why this really pisses me off. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1