Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

On 6/22/2023 at 5:27 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

They just added Larry Brown to staff. Rep and one of the biggest cheats in college basketball.

So there's your answer. 

Larry Brown?  He's got to be like 85 by now?

The worry after losing Holland and Johnson is Texas wasn't doing enough with NIL. I just don't see it. 

Abmas (one of the top transfers), Shedrick (one of the top transfers), Weaver (wasn't a top transfer but was being pursued by some big schools/NIL schools), Disu (probably took a bag to keep him from going pro overseas), and now Johnson (clearly a recruitment being won by $). 

There's no doubt Texas is dropping $$$$$$ right now in basketball. 

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Wow. That's unexpected. 

He's a nice player. Not sure he's good enough to play in the SEC but he's a high character kid in Texas' backyard. I wonder if that's a PWO offer. 

He was just offered by Texas Tech and Virginia Tech tonight too. Likely blowing up because of what he's doing on the summer circuit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's a fucking joke of a get from UK. Cal really just doesn't give a shit at this point - or he's washed. 

They’re pretty desperate for experience, Cal has not figured out the transfer portal. They were in danger of having a team with basically nothing but freshmen on it until like a week or two ago.

Eric Bossi

UCF transfer Ithiel Horton will visit Texas this week (think he may get in later today actually) before going on a visit to Kansas. Has scored nearly 1200 points and made 225 threes during stops at Delaware, Pitt and UCF.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ithiel-horton-1.html

Good shooter, another smallish guard though and I don't know what kind of role/minutes he expects based on his load the last few years?

10 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Eric Bossi

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ithiel-horton-1.html

Good shooter, another smallish guard though and I don't know what kind of role/minutes he expects based on his load the last few years?

If he's choosing between Texas and Kansas, I don't think he cares about role/minutes. He's going where he gets paid the most. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If he's choosing between Texas and Kansas, I don't think he cares about role/minutes. He's going where he gets paid the most. 

He’s scored 11.7 ppg at ucf. Texas nor Kansas is going to be offering nil incentive for him. 

2 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

He’s scored 11.7 ppg at ucf. Texas nor Kansas is going to be offering nil incentive for him. 

Yeah they are. Horton can shoot. 

There's zero reason Horton would be considering Texas or Kansas if it wasn't NIL-related. Both teams are loaded in the backcourt so Horton could definitely get more minutes at other schools. Also, other schools are desperate for a guard last minute so NIL options are out there for Horton. 

Texas and Kansas are two of the least likely teams to attract a good guard based on minutes available. It has to be NIL related. 

On 6/26/2023 at 8:09 PM, texifornia said:

Kuoalas do attack though

Unleash the attack kuolas on aggy when we take over the SEC

Fucker on the right is actually Brock

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2021/04/drop-bears-target-tourists-study-says/

drop-bear-image.jpg

Edited by ATXbronco
  • Haha 3

On 7/4/2023 at 11:48 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah they are. Horton can shoot. 

There's zero reason Horton would be considering Texas or Kansas if it wasn't NIL-related. Both teams are loaded in the backcourt so Horton could definitely get more minutes at other schools. Also, other schools are desperate for a guard last minute so NIL options are out there for Horton. 

Texas and Kansas are two of the least likely teams to attract a good guard based on minutes available. It has to be NIL related. 

@closetojumping is there more money (from NIL) flowing to basketball right now than there is to baseball? 

To me, it looks like we are buying who we want in basketball and football but that's not the case in baseball.

Edited by Rickylovesweed

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

@closetojumping is there more money (from NIL) flowing to basketball right now than there is to baseball? 

To me, it looks like we are buying who we want in basketball and football but that's not the case in baseball.

Far more and by necessity. Basketball is as well set up as any basketball NIL anywhere. Benefactors are important. The arms race in baseball isn’t as expensive. Texas is behind LSU, Arkansas and few else. Benefactors are important. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Far more and by necessity. Basketball is as well set up as any basketball NIL anywhere. Benefactors are important. The arms race in baseball isn’t as expensive. Texas is behind LSU, Arkansas and few else. Benefactors are important. 

Do you think Pierce needs to do a better job of engaging the benefactors? 

I've seen several pictures this offseason of RT at events where he's clearly doing his part to keep the money flowing. Or is that a non-factor on the Pierce side of things? 

24 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I've seen several pictures this offseason of RT at events where he's clearly doing his part to keep the money flowing. Or is that a non-factor on the Pierce side of things? 

My guess is that the “basketball benefactors” make NBA funny money and are former players who passed through Austin since The Year 2000.

Baseball doesn’t have as many former players making double-digit millions per year. Also, the roster is much bigger.

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Yeah, wasn’t RT rubbing elbows with some rich folks in LA not too long ago?

EDIT: Found the tweet. Who are these guys? @closetojumping

I’m not finding any direct connection to UT specifically with those names. Kelly Wearstler is apparently an interior designer with 2.1 million Instagram followers (including Mrs. Sark). Looks like she designed the Austin Proper Hotel, so might be something there. Brad is an Illinois grad and mostly known for being her husband, I guess. Whatever the reason, glad to have them supporting the program.

A7F9D362-E243-48EA-95AE-979109FD9EE7.thumb.jpeg.897aada41a529ef7d6a0bbce5cd06e8e.jpeg

6 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

I’m not finding any direct connection to UT specifically with those names. Kelly Wearstler is apparently an interior designer with 2.1 million Instagram followers (including Mrs. Sark). Looks like she designed the Austin Proper Hotel, so might be something there. Brad is an Illinois grad and mostly known for being her husband, I guess. Whatever the reason, glad to have them supporting the program.

A7F9D362-E243-48EA-95AE-979109FD9EE7.thumb.jpeg.897aada41a529ef7d6a0bbce5cd06e8e.jpeg

It looks like Brad Korzen is from Austin. This is his father. Looks like Brad was loaded before meeting Kelly. 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2016/6/24/18428630/erwin-s-korzen-who-owned-one-of-nation-s-largest-bowling-alleys-dies-at-83

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

My guess is that the “basketball benefactors” make NBA funny money and are former players who passed through Austin since The Year 2000.

Baseball doesn’t have as many former players making double-digit millions per year. Also, the roster is much bigger.

Doubt he’s talking about the players. Basketball has been well supported for many years by some very wealthy boosters.

• Hook 'Em 2

This is hilarious

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Wearstler

While working as a hostess at a Beverly Hills restaurant in 1994, she was scouted by a Playboy photographer and was featured as September Playmate of the Month under the name Kelly Gallagher

Not a Texas grad, attended Mass. College of Art in Boston. 

Looks like Brad hit it and quit it, though

KORZEN, BRADFORD JOSEPH    first semester Fall 1988    last semester Spring 1989

1 hour ago, CashMcCoy said:

That event had nothing to do with money. Coach Terry just really loves Interior Design.

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I am not close to some of it. No one is complaining about Pierce’s interest in engaging. The bigger issue is a general belief in Pierce getting it done, honestly. But let’s be clear - Texas Baseball has plenty of NIL support. There are like 3 schools who wouldn’t trade places. In addition, Texas is building and LSU woke up with a silver spoon in its mouth. Sucks at the moment, I guess, but check back in on things in 3 years. If a benefactor or two appears, check in sooner. 

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

None of this is correct. It’s the opposite of correct. 

7 hours ago, Pancho said:

Yeah, wasn’t RT rubbing elbows with some rich folks in LA not too long ago?

EDIT: Found the tweet. Who are these guys? @closetojumping

You got me. LA, SF, and NYC all have large UT alumni bases. The programs would be foolish not to play in to that and Terry clearly gets it. @henrygandorf if you want more LA details. 

Remember that NIL is still just a toddler. 2 years old. This thing isn’t even getting its legs yet for the most part. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

IMG_4490.thumb.jpeg.5127adf4fd10ad0c9d09eec15212f88c.jpeg

None of this is correct. It’s the opposite of correct.

Almost none of it was correct. 

I know for a fact that a baseball roster is definitely bigger than a basketball roster.

(I learned that back in the ‘70s.)

The rest was pure speculation. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Almost none of it was correct. 

I know for a fact that a baseball roster is definitely bigger than a basketball roster.

(I learned that back in the ‘70s.)

The rest was pure speculation. 

Although a baseball roster is bigger than a basketball roster- it's 13 scholarships for hoops and 11.7 for baseball. So, advantage basketball.