Carry a concealed weapon while helping mom get a MRI - what could go wrong?

AUS-97HORN

spoiler alert- something went wrong,

or should I say boom

Darwin in action

A Brazilian lawyer tragically died after his gun was discharged by an MRI machine’s magnetic field at the hospital.

The freak accident occurred on January 16 while the gun-loving lawyer, named Leandro Mathias de Novaes, was taking his mother to get scanned at the Laboratorio Cura in São Paulo, Jam Press reported. Unbeknownst to hospital staff, the attorney had a registered firearm in his possession.

Staff had reportedly asked the pair to remove all metal objects before entering the MRI room, as is protocol at hospitals due to the device’s powerful magnetic field. However, Novaes decided to go in sans announcing his concealed weapon.

Disaster struck after the machine yanked the weapon from his waistband, causing it to go off and strike the lawyer in the stomach. He was subsequently rushed to the São Luiz Morumbi Hospital, where he hung on for weeks, before eventually succumbing to his injuries on February 6.

“We are sorry for the loss and we sympathize with his family in this moment of pain,” said a spokesperson for the Order of Attorneys of Brazil in Cotia, São Paulo.Jam Press

Following the accident, a spokesperson for Laboratorio Cura released a statement, in which they claimed that they’d followed all “accident prevention protocols” as was customary in all MRI units.

“Both the patient and his companion were properly instructed regarding the procedures for accessing the examination room and warned about the removal of any and all metallic objects,” they declared.

The facility’s PR added that both Novaes and his mother signed a form regarding the protocols, but that the lawyer failed to mention his weapon and entered the unit with it “by his own decision.”

A police probe confirmed that the weapon was registered and that the attorney had a valid license for it.

Guess Brazil doesnt have metal detectors at the MRI doors (I had to go through one when I had my MRI)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I'm not a gun guy, but this doesn't seem to pass the smell test.  I can understand how the MRI magnet pulled the gun from him, but how on earth did it fire?

TL/DR:  The lawyer's mom shot him and the hospital is helping her cover it up.

when you booger hook pulls the bang switch, it's releasing a sear inside the FCG of your gun that results in a firing pin hitting a primer and your gat going blat

It's not unreasonble to think that the MRI could have released the sear and dropped the firing pin

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

when you booger hook pulls the bang switch, it's releasing a sear inside the FCG of your gun that results in a firing pin hitting a primer and your gat going blat

It's not unreasonble to think that the MRI could have released the sear and dropped the firing pin

Thanks.  I still think the mom did it, though. :)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

man IDK, MRI's are fuckin scary when they're turned on

Dumbass move to bring a loose piece of explosive piece of metal into close proximity with one, IMO

Totally agree.  That dude is an idiot.  I'm just enjoying the telenovela version better.  Murdering someone and blaming it on the MRI machine is a brilliantly stupid scheme for a soap.

17 hours ago, Captainant said:

Was it a revolver or semi-auto? It would be easy to pull back a hammer.

There are plenty of semi-autos out there that block the firing pin where this wouldn’t happen.

20 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Totally agree.  That dude is an idiot.  I'm just enjoying the telenovela version better.  Murdering someone and blaming it on the MRI machine is a brilliantly stupid scheme for a soap.

Plot spoiler. The machine technician was Magneto ensuring that only the victim would be harmed.

• Hook 'Em 1

But they warned  & quizzed me about the danger of totin’ any metal objects into the MRI room. That was concerning me because of the 4 heart stent implants. Didn’t want them ripping unexpectedly out of my chest like the Alien. 
(stents are titanium and not affected by the magnets…. Or so they told me).

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Have you been shot by your own gun in an MRI room?

Call 444-4444

I just got a weird look laughing out loud at this because I pictured Ted Lorenz jumping onto an MRI machine screaming, "I'M ON TOP OF IT!" Thanks asshole.

• Haha 2

I feel bad for the guy. We don't know he was a piece of shit (outside of being a lawyer) and Brazil is a dangerous shithole so I can see why one would carry there. If he wears it all the time and is used to the holster I can see how it would be easy to forget he had it on him when they asked. 

Hell I very much want proper gun control but I'm debating carrying at times here in Texas because it's becoming a giant piece of shit. The whole of America seems to be. I wouldn't carry into a hospital though

I feel bad for the guy. We don't know he was a piece of shit (outside of being a lawyer) and Brazil is a dangerous shithole so I can see why one would carry there. If he wears it all the time and is used to the holster I can see how it would be easy to forget he had it on him when they asked. 
Hell I very much want proper gun control but I'm debating carrying at times here in Texas because it's becoming a giant piece of shit. The whole of America seems to be. I wouldn't carry into a hospital though

Hospitals have incidents enough to warrant carrying inside them too.