Luxury Yacht grounds on rocky Maui shore, filling bay with spilled diesel

MaybeACoordinator

Billionaires proving to be shitty sailors....

I don’t like to post anything until I find out the full details, but as of now here is what I know. They were not properly tied up to a state funded mooring. They also apparently over extended their stay. They broke loose of their mooring while they were below deck. They were not able to get back on deck in time. When they did in fact get back at the helm and started the engines, they accidentally went forward instead of reverse and went straight into the reef.

All eight aboard were rescued, but sadly they did not get their deserved Captain Cook treatment.

Death-of-Captain-James-Cook-Hawaii.jpeg

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Rage+1 5

Yeah, that is not a billionaire's yacht. That would be about the minimum length boat needed in the waters off the coast of Hawaii, probably about 42ft. And the bottom hull needs repainting. Shit, it probably isn't even crewed.

Edited by Bevo

^^^  It's more than 2X that size:

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/yacht-grounded-at-honolua-bay-special-permit-issued/

The Department of Land and Natural Resources said that it will probably be another few days before the 94-foot yacht can be freed.

https://noelaniyachtcharters.com/the-nakoa/

COURTESY-DINO-TASSARA-TASSARA-MEDIA.jpg

4c843080-b29b-11ed-b7f5-f367a9568b2e-nak

4c817160-b29b-11ed-8228-619e00c59c3d-nak

Edited by smuggs
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The costs from this type of mistake will most like be pushed to taxpayers. Even a well-off person can't afford to pay for an environmental cleanup.

I would hope the company renting the boat has insurance for this kind of thing, but I'm sure that will be a long legal battle to determine if the operator disqualified their insurance claim by not following the contract rules. 

4 hours ago, sidis said:

sounds like someone at sea in their boat rental spied @Hank_Hill's wife's ass on the beach and tried to get a little too up close...

Don’t blame him. Seriously though fuck this guy. He’s about to get the freeze from every person on this island. Moored for 48 hours on a mooring that has a 2 hour limit. Company didn’t drain the boat before ditching it. This is also on the local government and CG though, she sat there for 24 hours without anyone draining the fuel or setting up a protective barrier. God knows what this is doing to the reef. Fucking shame because this is one of the best reefs on Maui. Here’s a not dead turtle pic from a dive of mine there to make everyone happier

98C8DF9D-0670-4AD1-B274-9292732F242A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

7 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Don’t blame him. Seriously though fuck this guy. He’s about to get the freeze from every person on this island. Moored for 48 hours on a mooring that has a 2 hour limit. Company didn’t drain the boat before ditching it. 

He was also on board at the time. So his "I have dumbshit employees" excuse is out the window.

Edit - Owner of boat is also the owner of the charter company that leases it.

Edited by smuggs
clarity.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The costs from this type of mistake will most like be pushed to taxpayers. Even a well-off person can't afford to pay for an environmental cleanup.

perhaps if a couple of assholes were completely financially ruined, it would act as a deterrent to other assholes to be assholes.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Damn skippy

Hey, I'm pretty limited in my knowledge of secret squirrels. Last I saw, you and a very attractive woman (from South America) wanted to sell faceless tapes. Short synopsis of the rest of the story?

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Hey, I'm pretty limited in my knowledge of secret squirrels. Last I saw, you and a very attractive woman (from South America) wanted to sell faceless tapes. Short synopsis of the rest of the story?

Haha the OnlyFans thing was a joke (maybe) but yea same lady. Locked it up, green card process completed, and we moved to Maui recently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sounds like the charter company crew has some explaining to do.

This thread is classic Surly. The Surly 2% (wink wink) start running at the mouth about what a POS yacht it is, acting like it’s a dinged up old Jon boat that they’d be embarrassed to be seen in. They’ve probably chartered a fishing trip a couple of times at a bachelor party in Cabo or something, and now they are yacht experts. Too funny. Never change Surly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Sounds like the charter company crew has some explaining to do.
This thread is classic Surly. The Surly 2% (wink wink) start running at the mouth about what a POS yacht it is, acting like it’s a dinged up old Jon boat that they’d be embarrassed to be seen in. They’ve probably chartered a fishing trip a couple of times at a bachelor party in Cabo or something, and now they are yacht experts. Too funny. Never change Surly. 

This is all true. Still doesn’t make that boat (which is indeed very nice) a luxury yacht.

This is a luxury yacht:

eb987aeb87e41451f8b3515766c898e1.webp
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Not to get all pedantic on you but I would call that a superyacht. Anything over 40’ or so I would refer to as a yacht. Once they start to get ridiculously massive, 80’ or maybe 100’ and up, then that’s a superyacht of mega yacht. And they are all luxurious yachts to me.

So you're the expert. How was that trip to Cabo?

• Haha 1

https://www.barrons.com/visual-stories/who-owns-superyachts-russian-oligarchs-01647975304

There are about 5000 superyachts in the world over 100ft. There are about 2300 billionaires in the world. Dallas has 25 billionaires. All Dallas billionaires visit Surly. So there is a 1% chance that there is a Dallas billionaire on this site who wouldn't bother to piss on this yacht.