Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
10 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Only a $11k bond for this??

Yeah, but he was ordered to have no contact with the accuser. Can’t say that’s not getting tough on crime. 

• Haha 1

It’s more likely that he just wasn’t that good.  He’s never played for ISU, and there have been very few players in the Campbell era committing crimes in their free time.  The ones who did were immediately dismissed unless said crime was more of the collegiate mischief variant as opposed to pure fucking evil.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It’s more likely that he just wasn’t that good.  He’s never played for ISU, and there have been very few players in the Campbell era committing crimes in their free time.  The ones who did were immediately dismissed unless said crime was more of the collegiate mischief variant as opposed to pure fucking evil.

His rating was .8241. Most guys in that range have multiple FCS, G5, and even P5 offers. Most years, ISU signs guys with multiple offers who are rated lower than that. I realize he probably didn’t have a prior criminal record - and I’m not saying that Campbell signs a bunch of bad characters - it just seems odd that no one else seemed to want him.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

4 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

His rating was .8241. Most guys in that range have multiple FCS, G5, and even P5 offers. Most years, ISU signs guys with multiple offers who are rated lower than that. I realize he probably didn’t have a prior criminal record, but it just seems odd that no one else seemed to want him.

I’d never even heard his name until these charges were filed.  Granted, I’m not a big recruiting guy, but I usually recognize the names of most of the roster.

Regardless, he’s out at ISU and hopefully gets what’s coming to him.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Two former cyclone coaches + former Longhorn and blOU coaches now at USF.

Most Impressive New Staffs of 2023: #7 USF

Screenshot_20230724-230338_kindlephoto-25373974.thumb.png.a6fc3f118b78dd64a061ed8019220b0c.png

Earlier today, a report emerged with big news for first-year Bulls head coach Alex Golesh and his USF football program as plans and funding for a long-awaited on-campus football stadium were approved with a planned opening of 2026. 

We follow that great news up with some additional good news for the program, as the Bulls are #7 on our list of the most impressive new staffs assembled for 2023.

As we shared previously in this series, there's no exact formula for putting together a staff that is going to put a successful product on the field Saturdays in the fall. So generally speaking, coaches look for a mix of guys they have a prior relationship with, or have worked with coaches they have ties to and trust, or are excellent recruiters, have a ton of experience, have learned under some of the most respected coaches in the game, or retaining guys that have an intimate understanding of the roster.

Really, any mix of all those and so much more go into building a quality staff, and all while being able to do it with the salary pool allotted.

Golesh brings an interesting mix of coaches to Tampa, led by coaching veterans like Kevin Patrick and Todd Orlando and also includes some young and hungry guys that are getting their first crack at on-field assistants at the major college level after being trusted and loyal support staff members previously.

The early feedback from high school coaches seeing Golesh and his staff on the recruiting trail has been overwhelmingly positive. 

COORDINATOR RECAP

Todd Orlando brings an immediately recognizable name to the defensive side of the ball for the Bulls.

A veteran defensive play caller, Orlando has most recently called the defenses at Texas, USC, and FAU and has previous coordinator experience at UConn, FIU, Utah State, and Houston in college football.

Golesh will lead the way on the offensive side of the ball, and new quarterbacks coach Joel Gordon is listed in his USF bio as the team's offensive coordinator (and FWIW is Pass Game Coordinator on the staff listing).

Gordon had been the pass game coordinator at Iowa State dating back to 2019, and mentored the Cyclones quarterbacks for 5 of his 7 seasons on Matt Campbell's staff.

Golesh and Gordon previously worked alongside each other four seasons in Ames, so seeing them work together to craft the USF offense, melding some stuff from Iowa State and some of Tennessee's unique deep choice concept stuff from last year's impressive turnaround with the Vols is going to be must-see for offensive enthusiasts.

BIGGEST HIRE

Before Golesh, former Clemson offensive coordinator Jeff Scott was brought in with high hopes to turn things around and put an exciting offensive product on the field in one of the nation's most fertile recruiting grounds. After finishes of 1-8, 2-10 and then a 1-8 start, Scott was gone and the search led to another offensive minded head coach in Golesh. 

When back-to-back offensive coordinators are chosen to lead programs, I think the most pressure lies on that side of the ball to get things turned around, therefore, I would put the entire offensive staff here for the biggest hires of Golesh's initial staff.

Matt Merritt has been a part of some exciting offenses and has a diverse background, and I really liked the addition of former Minnesota assistant Clay Patterson, who will bring a veteran presence to the offensive side of the ball along with Gordon, who we highlighted earlier.

The offensive line will be coached by Tyler Hudanick, who started nearly 30 games at UCF before joining their staff in a quality control role (volunteer) and then was elevated to a graduate assistant role. Last year he was with Golesh as a graduate assistant with the Vols. While he brings some great experience, this marks his first on-field coaching position.

Set to coach the receivers is L'Damian Washington, who had an interesting fall last year and may just arrive at USF with something to prove.

Washington was thrust into the wide receivers coaching role just before the start of last fall following the Cale Gundy controversy, and he helped mold an offense that produced nearly 33 points per game and his receivers averaged of 8 yards per catch, including Marvin Mimms who was one of the best deep threats in the country.

After a full season in essentially an interim on-field role, Brent Venables ultimately decided to fill the role with a hire outside the program. Washington briefly accepted the receivers job and pass game coordinator role at Western Kentucky before ultimately landing with Golesh and the Bulls.

BIGGEST CHALLENGE

Golesh's staff will face a similar challenge that a lot of new Group of Five programs face, in getting their first-year on-field coaches prepared for the demands and adjustments of the job while also meshing with the veteran coaches who have been around premier Power Five programs.

I would also slide Todd Orlando in here.

Since a six-year run as the defensive coordinator at UConn from 199-2004, Orlando hasn't spent more than three seasons calling the defense somewhere with his three-years at Texas the longest he's been somewhere.

For USF to have success, I would argue that Orlando won't need to field top 25 defenses, but they will need to get just enough stops to let Golesh and his offense put enough points on the board for wins, and if he's able to do that, then be able to hold onto the 52 year old coach for 4+ years.

MOST UNDERRATED HIRE

Snagging an SEC staffer for a position on staff at USF makes this a relatively easy call.

Back in December, we shared highly regarded Tennessee DFO Andrew Warsaw, who is considered to be among the top DFOs in the country, was heading south to join Golesh.

With the title of associate athletic director / football chief of staff, Warsaw will bring over a decade of experience at the Power 5 and NFL levels to serve in a critical role for Golesh as a right hand man.

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Obviously intelligence isn’t a trait in the Dekkers family, but anyone who watched many of our games last year came to that conclusion themselves

Here I thought it was Xavier Hutchinson with money on Texas when he dropped that walk-in TD.

Wat an odd story.

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

Is that 5 star culture behavior?

5 Card Culture

12 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Tony Becht’s kid (seems like a shittier version of Purdy) and a 4 star true frosh legacy

I listened to Dave Archer on XM84 and the Big 12 channel before last season do nothing but talk up Dekkers as the next big thing for Iowa State. In hindsight, it is hilarious. At the time, I thought, well, maybe Campbell has found another gem.  I guess now the argument I’ve seen on twitter is that the freshman is the savior. Good luck with that one. 

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

5 Card Culture

I listened to Dave Archer on XM84 and the Big 12 channel before last season do nothing but talk up Dekkers as the next big thing for Iowa State. In hindsight, it is hilarious. At the time, I thought, well, maybe Campbell has found another gem.  I guess now the argument I’ve seen on twitter is that the freshman is the savior. Good luck with that one. 

Dekkers has the physical talent to play in the NFL.  He has the brain of a dachsund.

Kohl should be a very good college player.  He's 6'7", has a huge arm, is smart, and Ohio State was trying to flip him.  There's no guarantees obviously, and I think he's not going to be ready this fall in particular.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

In Iowa, Campbell's similarities to Ferentz are frequently noted.

After Ferentz's sudden rise between '02-'05, Iowa started landing a lot more 4 stars as opposed to the 2 star kids that Ferentz had built up into NFL All Stars.  Ferentz wasn't particularly adept at managing guys who showed up with egos and talent.  Iowa had some rough years in the late aughts, and the recruiting dipped back to their mean.  They were forced to go back to developmental guys, and were able to turn things back around with the same formula that got them noticed 4-5 years earlier.  They actually repeated the same cycle (falling off in the early 10's) before steadying into the "set your clock to 8 wins" program they've been for about a decade.

Campbell is clearly better at whipping try-hards and overlooked talent into shape than he is getting touted kids to buy into his schtick.  He'll get patience from our AD and fanbase to turn things around, but this will be about how self-aware he is and if he can recognize his weaknesses as a coach.

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Haha Campbell has known this guy was gone for months. 

Yup.  Central Iowa media and most ISU fans knew Dekkers was involved in this gambling sting and would likely miss (a lot of) time.

The level of stupid involved in what he did wasn't fully known until yesterday.

18 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yup.  Central Iowa media and most ISU fans knew Dekkers was involved in this gambling sting and would likely miss (a lot of) time.

The level of stupid involved in what he did wasn't fully known until yesterday.

He wasnt at media days, so I am guessing it was before yesterday when the cat got out of the bag. 

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:

He wasnt at media days, so I am guessing it was before yesterday when the cat got out of the bag. 

They knew he had gambled and would face a suspension, which is why he wasn't at media day.

I don't think they knew how many games, that he'd bet on an ISU game, and that he was doing it in the ISU facility under his parents' names.

19 minutes ago, markstanco said:

They didnt find out he betted on ISU football in the DMR like the rest of us.  They knew. 

It's pretty hard to say.  He was working out with the team prior to yesterday.  Now he's off of it completely.

From everything I've heard, the staff's been extremely frustrated because they weren't getting much info from the DCI, and the players involved were lawyered up and not talking to the staff.  I think there were significant previously unknown details.

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's pretty hard to say.  He was working out with the team prior to yesterday.  Now he's off of it completely.

Dusty and Danny in the morning did segment 2 or 3 about it.  They were reading a quote where he was not practicing with the team and focusing on school.  

Hate to see kids make these really dumb decisions, very few things will ruin your future the first instance like gambling on your own team.  I feel bad for the kid, but he knew exactly what he was chancing. 

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Dusty and Danny in the morning did segment 2 or 3 about it.  They were reading a quote where he was not practicing with the team and focusing on school.  

Hate to see kids make these really dumb decisions, very few things will ruin your future the first instance like gambling on your own team.  I feel bad for the kid, but he knew exactly what he was chancing. 

He’s not a “kid”. He’s 19-22 years old. He knew what he was doing and he selfishly did it. I don’t really see it as an Iowa State problem unless new details tell us otherwise. Seems like something that could happen anywhere and probably is happening in various other places right now. 

• Like 2

Mack Stanco?
  • Haha 1

He’s not a “kid”. He’s 19-22 years old. He knew what he was doing and he selfishly did it. I don’t really see it as an Iowa State problem unless new details tell us otherwise. Seems like something that could happen anywhere and probably is happening in various other places right now. 

Yup. He’s a 22 year old adult who knew better.

And this is happening in every college football program in the country. The Iowa DCI felt uniquely compelled to go after their two P5 programs. They’re the cop who decided to pull people over for going 56 when the rest of the department waits until 10 over.

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

And this is happening in every college football program in the country. The Iowa DCI felt uniquely compelled to go after their two P5 programs. They’re the cop who decided to pull people over for going 56 when the rest of the department waits until 10 over.

All true, but if you pull a Pete Rose...you're out

This reminds me of my big question back when the Pete Rose betting scandal hit:

"If he bets ON his team to win, how is that a problem?"

Maybe I missed it, but I never once saw any reports on HOW he betted (Pete Rose, that is).  To me, if a player, coach, administrator, whatever, bets ON the team to WIN, then I have no problem with it.  (Yes, I know, gambling slippery slope and getting in hoc with bad elements, yada yada yada).

I'm just saying that if a player is extra motivated to play even harder and smarter because he has money on the outcome of his team WINNING, then so be it.  No problem with it.  And this is coming from someone who is pretty damn conservative when it comes to this stuff.

Edited by Uncle Nate
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You think every program has players betting on their own team's games?  Wait, excuse me - sharing their account so their tech-idiot boomer parents can bet on their son's team's games.   Maybe so.   I'd hope any program with a compliance office that doesn't suck has been making the risks of this clear to players. 

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

You think every program has players betting on their own team's games?  Wait, excuse me - sharing their account so their tech-idiot boomer parents can bet on their son's team's games.   Maybe so.   I'd hope any program with a compliance office that doesn't suck has been making the risks of this clear to players. 

It actually is a prescribed NCAA compliance training piece for student-athletes, coaches, and staff (or at least it was 10 years ago when I was doing athletic certification).  Once a year we had to sit in a training session telling us we could not gamble on ANY sport, much less a college sport.  Strictly forbidden.  They said we couldn't even be in for-money fantasy football league.

Edited by Uncle Nate

25 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

This reminds me of my big question back when the Pete Rose betting scandal hit:

"If he bets ON his team to win, how is that a problem?"

Maybe I missed it, but I never once saw any reports on HOW he betted (Pete Rose, that is).  To me, if a player, coach, administrator, whatever, bets ON the team to WIN, then I have no problem with it.  (Yes, I know, gambling slippery slope and getting in hoc with bad elements, yada yada yada).

I'm just saying that if a player is extra motivated to play even harder and smarter because he has money on the outcome of his team WINNING, then so be it.  No problem with it.  And this is coming from someone who is pretty damn conservative when it comes to this stuff.

The reason is the signal it sends to the pros - whoever's pocket you're in.  If you bet ON your team 4 games in a row, but you don't on this one?  Signal you're influencing the other direction.

Betting on your own team absolutely destroys the integrity of the game.  You might behave differently (use a pitcher who ought to be saved) if you’ve got a big $$$$ on *this* game. 

I understand that the argument isn’t as straightforward for a player betting on himself, but it’s a line that just can’t be crossed, and anyone who does it should lose eligibility.   

Al, you’ve got to be fucking joking with “everyone does this.”