Jump to content

Official Coach Terry thread of dominance: Do it for the fam


shadow_operative

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Weird take.  If we took a poll in December, I think "coaching in-season" would have been the biggest question mark on Terry's resume.  Recruiting, representing the university well, connecting with alumni, etc. were all known strengths of his.  I get the concerns with a Terry hire, genuinely I do, but I think the "rest of the job" is the part we won't have to worry about.

Really?  You don't get the concern?

He has had two previous stints where he was the guy in charge of running a program and he didn't exactly set the world on fire.  And those were much lower-level programs than what he is being handed the keys to.

The "rest of the job" includes building the roster, recruiting and managing the coaches and staff, setting the direction of the offseason program, identifying strengths and weaknesses of the team and adjusting the offense and defense schemes based on that, etc., etc.  All of that was in place when he took over this year. Can he effectively lead all of those processes and build a team that will compete for championships?  Yes, he was a part of that process this year, but that fact cuts both ways.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

Really?  You don't get the concern?

He has had two previous stints where he was the guy in charge of running a program and he didn't exactly set the world on fire.  And those were much lower-level programs than what he is being handed the keys to.

The "rest of the job" includes building the roster, recruiting and managing the coaches and staff, setting the direction of the offseason program, identifying strengths and weaknesses of the team and adjusting the offense and defense schemes based on that, etc., etc.  All of that was in place when he took over this year. Can he effectively lead all of those processes and build a team that will compete for championships?  Yes, he was a part of that process this year, but that fact cuts both ways.

So who is the guy you'd hire that would say yes? What great coach out there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Consistently be in S16 or E8 as a base, going further is a plus. 

What schools do that right now? Genuine question. I don’t follow CBB that much but it feels like asking a football coach to make the CFP every season as a base. Tall/unrealistic ask.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Helobious said:

I don’t follow CBB that much but it feels like asking a football coach to make the CFP every season as a base. Tall/unrealistic ask.

Asking a coach to win 2 tournament games consistently is the equivalent to asking a football coach to be one of the 4 teams chosen by a committee?

Not really.  Different animals entirely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ideally, you want to hire a coach who got his teams to progressively get better year over year at every stop, outperformed in the tourney relative to the talent he had to work with, and still has some mileage left in him. There are not many candidates from this year's pool who meet these criteria except perhaps the Princeton and FAU coaches (barely). CDC had no choice but to hire Terry. Let's just hope his third stint as a HC is better than his last couple. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The take that this isn’t the perfect or ideal hire, but it’s the right hire, is the right take.  It’s not that hard.  There isn’t a better available candidate out there whose advantage over RT exceeds all of the headaches of going through that process and the negative repercussions of not hiring RT.  I felt differently 3 weeks ago. But this is how I feel now.
 

NIL and NBA pipeline respect will supplement some of the deficiencies Terry may have had at FSU or UTEP.  He has shown himself to be a good system coach this year.  Our offense looked better than it has in over a decade. He has had his ups and downs in game but, fuck,  I am a Duke fan and Coach K had his ups and downs “in game” since 1999.  

He is going to have to hit the portal hard this year.  I think we are an attractive option for a lot of kids.  

Let’s ride. 
 

 

  • Hook 'Em 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah something like that would be reasonable IMO.

image.png.4b295a7427ab71e99088e1cb4147ce69.png

Similar runs like that

No more long gaps like 63-72, 72-90, 97-02, 47-90, 08-23, etc

Lofty goal. Not saying it's unreasonable, but going to the sweet 16 three times in 5 years would be very, very, very good in my opinion. I would consider Scott Drew an elite elite coach and his last 5 full seasons have gone: NIT, second round exit (8 seed), national title, second round exit (1 seed), second round exit (3 seed).

My goal is to consistently be a top 4 seed. If you do that, you are going to position yourself well for runs (unless you are Shaka Smart).

  • Hook 'Em 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Agreed that the portal can make a difference, but after this year's crop of 5-stars, imo, didn't really move the needle on this year's team much, I'm not expecting next years' batch to be much more. Morris and Mitchell were definitely players, but they weren't difference-makers really at any point of the season. Maybe these new guys are way more polished and will be ready to contribute heavy minutes in Big 12 play in December/January..... but I'm not expecting it. I'm just hoping. 

Maybe my expectations for the portal are too low as well, but it doesn't seem likely to bring in guys every year like Disu, Rice and Hunter. Guys who won conference superlatives and weren't just brought in to contribute, but to contribute tons of minutes. If our NIL is really that strong that we can bring in some all-conference type guys, guys who led a conference in rebounding, etc, every single year, then maybe we will literally never have a reloading year. But I'll have to see it first. 

Holland can shoot.  He will move the needle more than Mitchell did as a freshman for that reason, but your point about the freshmen is well taken.  

I think you definitely underestimate the portal in basketball, though.  It’s a much higher quality group than football portal transfers. There will be numerous guys who are studs portal every year.  And not just small school guys who were overlooked as recruits.  

The team’s success will hinge on transfers and returning players next year, and really most years except the odd year we sign a ready made star like Durant or TJ.  

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gerry Hamilton with some info on the staff:

One, as we have been saying since the win to get to the Sweet 16, Rodney Terry is expected to be the next head coach at Texas.

The number one question after that has been his staff.

Here are my thoughts as of Monday AM at 12:15'ish central:

Would be surprised if Bob Donewald Jr. is not on the Texas staff.

Same for Brandon Chappell.

Also I would expect Chris Ogden to return to his GM of Texas basketball role. He's tremendous at it, and it's so important for the future as the recruiting landscape has shifted and changed.

Should Ogden move back to the GM role as expected, Terry will have one assistant spot to fill. My expectations are that of a heavy lifter in recruiting. Rodney Terry filled that roll in spades for Beard. Terry will still be extremely key in recruiting. His role as head coach expands now, however. So the heavy lifter in recruiting is going to be key. That is a position with experience and plenty of connections. Long standing connections are so key in portal recruiting these days.

Would add that there is a good chance the vast majority of the staff remains under Terry. That goes down to the guys who are extremely impactful in recruiting, player development in the summer and video.

  • Hook 'Em 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re Scott Drew, when you win the whole thing, fans can live with a few subpar years. With this new era of NIL, Texas shouldn't have to experience too many rebuilding years imo. Sure, there will be some bad luck here and there, but we should be able to field good teams most years.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Folks that know way more BB than me say Terry made good adjustments and had good plans going into games. So coaching a team with talent is something he can do well. Building a program and maintaining it is the question. So in the interest of being convinced he can do it I looked at his record and he did improve Fresno State. Is that enough evidence probably not but Fresno State record plus what he did this year as a coach is more than enough to say he deserves a shot.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Disu is healthy for last night’s game then this conversation changes for a lot of posters on here. A lot of that inside BS that Miami made would have been eliminated and RT would have looked better. Yes, he had some head scratchers in the last half with adjustments but RT had finally put a good formula together at the end of the season when Disu remembered he could be a bad ass. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

If anybody had told us in mid-December that we'd finish 2nd in the Big 12, win the Big 12 tournament, go into March Madness as a 2-seed, and make the Elite 8, we all would've been surprised and elated.  Literally zero people on this board were predicting any such results at that point.

Rodney gets a lot of the credit for that.

Yeah, his prior HC resume wouldn't have gotten him this job.  But he's already proven that he can win here.  I really don't give a shit what his record was at previous stops.  He's got different horses here, and that will continue.

Everybody's worried about whether or not he can recruit.  Why?  Nothing recruits like recent success.  And we're in the NIL era, and our pockets are deeper than pretty much anyone's.  The facilities and pending move to the SEC are just the icing on the cake.  It would be a shock if couldn't get most of the guys he wants.

I'm all over the RT bandwagon and I believe he's going to do big things at Texas.  And with some class.

This

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

My expectations are that of a heavy lifter in recruiting. Rodney Terry filled that roll in spades for Beard. Terry will still be extremely key in recruiting. His role as head coach expands now, however. So the heavy lifter in recruiting is going to be key. That is a position with experience and plenty of connections. Long standing connections are so key in portal recruiting these days.

I know TJ Ford has a pretty sweet thing going on, but IMO he would be perfect for this. His connections alone, plus I think he'd be a good coach. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The standard for Texas should be something between 1-2 tourney wins a season. Rick won 19 tourney games in 17 years - but just 2 of those came in his last 6 seasons. Since getting rid of Shaka we've won 4 tourney games in 2 seasons. 

Expecting Texas to make the SS every season is wishful thinking - but it's definitely possible that Texas could average 2+ tourney wins/season for a decent stretch. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

I know TJ Ford has a pretty sweet thing going on, but IMO he would be perfect for this. His connections alone, plus I think he'd be a good coach. 

Maybe.  I know nothing about the demands of his current job, but I would think that the grinder of coaching and recruiting at the college level are a hell of a lot grater than in an AAU league.  As much as I love TJ, I don't think a gig at Texas should be his "on-the-job" training.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Maybe.  I know nothing about the demands of his current job, but I would think that the grinder of coaching and recruiting at the college level are a hell of a lot grater than in an AAU league.  As much as I love TJ, I don't think a gig at Texas should be his "on-the-job" training.

Heard a rumor that TJ would be interested in joining the staff

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Helobious said:

What schools do that right now? Genuine question. I don’t follow CBB that much but it feels like asking a football coach to make the CFP every season as a base. Tall/unrealistic ask.



Winning two games in the tournament i.e. making it to the Sweet 16, is harder than it looks. Jay Wright, one of the names frequently mentioned here as next coach, only did it seven times in 22 seasons at Villanova.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Maybe.  I know nothing about the demands of his current job, but I would think that the grinder of coaching and recruiting at the college level are a hell of a lot grater than in an AAU league.  As much as I love TJ, I don't think a gig at Texas should be his "on-the-job" training.

That's fair, although as an assistant it's much easier to start out. I think he'd kill it on the recruiting trail. Ivey is the other name, but not sure how he would be at recruiting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, his prior HC resume wouldn't have gotten him this job.  But he's already proven that he can win here.  I really don't give a shit what his record was at previous stops.  He's got different horses here, and that will continue.

There is no evidence that it will continue and the closest thing to it is he was able to take a bad Fresno State team and make it better. Yet, if a great coaching performance this year somehow is enough evidence for you that he will be a great program builder have at it. Many of us think he has more than earned a chance to be here and we will be taking a wait and see attitude on the program building. We all hope that with Texas' resources he can show he is also a great program builder but being a good coach does not make you by default a great program builder.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:



Winning two games in the tournament i.e. making it to the Sweet 16, is harder than it looks. Jay Wright, one of the names frequently mentioned here as next coach, only did it seven times in 22 seasons at Villanova.

Yeah that’s what I figured. I can’t think of anyone that does it consistently anymore. Or at least as consistently as people think Terry should be doing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

That is why I said wait and see attitude unlike @TexArcher that was stating that it will continue as a matter of fact. Read the post!

There are reasons to expect that having better players than he did at shittier programs will continue, which I outlined.

There really isn't a reason to assume that he'll be a recruiting failure.  He has a lot of recruiting arrows in his quiver and his players love him.

And he just showed that he knows what to do with talent (unlike Shaka).

And y'all did see the Tweet above where a 5-star just said he was staying because RT got the job, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding TJ, this quote above from Gerry seems to run counter to that.

Quote

Should Ogden move back to the GM role as expected, Terry will have one assistant spot to fill. My expectations are that of a heavy lifter in recruiting. Rodney Terry filled that roll in spades for Beard. Terry will still be extremely key in recruiting. His role as head coach expands now, however. So the heavy lifter in recruiting is going to be key. That is a position with experience and plenty of connections. Long standing connections are so key in portal recruiting these days.

I'm sure TJ has good connections, but not experience as a college recruiter, and I wouldn't want him hired if we truly need a "heavy lifter" in recruiting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys blindly defending Terry are gonna become the new Charlie Strong apologists after he crashes and burns the next few years.

It's really quite comical to watch. If we had lost to Penn State, this program would be in much better shape and looking to hire a proven winner.

 

That's the worst part about losing Chris Beard...it wasn't just a one time thing. The stage was set for Texas to be a national power in basketball for decades.

Edited by Loop 1604
  • Fuck You 25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure the concern about "roster building" is mostly related to Beard's strategy of building a team that would gel by March as opposed to just throwing everything at any 4/5-star.  

The thing is, Beard's way of doing it isn't the only way.  We were just excited to see how it was being executed.  I'm pretty sure nobody wants the Coach Cal method of all 1-and-dones, but there are a lot of variations in between, be it Izzo's older player mix to Coach K and Self's mix of frosh superstars with more experience players, etc.  

My feeling is that NIL and the transfer portal are difference makers compared to RT's time at Fresno State and UTEP, and he won't be stuck with quite the equal playing field he was back then in those lesser leagues.  I'd still like to have seen him do a little better at those programs, though.  Onward.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can RT recruit one kid that is a stretch the defense, lights out three point shooter? If Xavier can find powder surely we can find one. I’m tired of playing southern Wyoming and watching 5 white dudes hit 19 threes as a team. Just one season i would love to have a guy that scares the shit out of the other team because his range is from anywhere on the court. Idgaf about who’s the super athlete big name. Give me howdy doody if he can shoot the rock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

If anybody had told us in mid-December that we'd finish 2nd in the Big 12, win the Big 12 tournament, go into March Madness as a 2-seed, and make the Elite 8, we all would've been surprised and elated.  Literally zero people on this board were predicting any such results at that point.

Rodney gets a lot of the credit for that.

Yeah, his prior HC resume wouldn't have gotten him this job.  But he's already proven that he can win here.  I really don't give a shit what his record was at previous stops.  He's got different horses here, and that will continue.

Everybody's worried about whether or not he can recruit.  Why?  Nothing recruits like recent success.  And we're in the NIL era, and our pockets are deeper than pretty much anyone's.  The facilities and pending move to the SEC are just the icing on the cake.  It would be a shock if he couldn't get most of the guys he wants.

I'm on the RT bandwagon and I believe he's going to do big things at Texas.  And with some class.

I really do hope this is true.

Maybe the only thing that I want more in Texas sports than our first men's basketball NC is our next football NC. 

And that one is a really close call.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Can RT recruit one kid that is a stretch the defense, lights out three point shooter? If Xavier can find powder surely we can find one. I’m tired of playing southern Wyoming and watching 5 white dudes hit 19 threes as a team. Just one season i would love to have a guy that scares the shit out of the other team because his range is from anywhere on the court. Idgaf about who’s the super athlete big name. Give me howdy doody if he can shoot the rock.

I'd rather have very good shooters that can also handle and get to the rim like Jabari and Carr. 

Carr was shooting like 42% BTA before defenses started making shutting him down their main priority. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

You guys blindly defending Terry are gonna become the new Charlie Strong apologists after he crashes and burns the next few years.

It's really quite comical to watch. If we had lost to Penn State, this program would be in much better shape and looking to hire a proven winner.

 

That's the worst part about losing Chris Beard...it wasn't just a one time thing. The stage was set for Texas to be a national power in basketball for decades.

There is nobody blindly defending Terry, regardless of how much you want that narrative to be true. The sentiment of the majority is that 1) there is no slam dunk hire available and 2) RT is as defensible a hire as any of the other flawed candidates that are actually available. Blindly supporting RT would entail saying we should hire him over Billy Donovan and/or saying he is absolutely destined for greatness. I don't see any of that happening. Almost everyone here is being an adult about where we are at and how we got here.

And then there is you. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

There are reasons to expect that having better players than he did at shittier programs will continue, which I outlined.

There really isn't a reason to assume that he'll be a recruiting failure.  He has a lot of recruiting arrows in his quiver and his players love him.

And he just showed that he knows what to do with talent (unlike Shaka).

And y'all did see the Tweet above where a 5-star just said he was staying because RT got the job, right?

My hesitance is not with RT being able to sell high school kids since everything I have read about him is that he is a great recruiter. My cautious optimism has do with not knowing what kind of salesman he will be for the program. Will he be the kind of guy that gets the media to fall in love with him so that they sell Texas as the place to be in todays transfer portal world. Then again winning consistently and word of mouth of him being a great coach and a great man is another way to skin the same cat. I hope you are right and it will continue.

I talked to someone today that knows a couple of players that played for RT in the past and they love him and say he is a great coach and person. 

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

$3M for 4 years would have been my prediction as well. CDC is smart with coach's salaries. He will pay top dollars for a top coach but he also understands when he can get away with a lower salary. $3M is not bad for a basketball coach at most programs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Pancho changed the title to Official Coach Terry thread of dominance: Do it for the fam

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...