Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

Let me be the first to point out that I got roasted on this board for suggesting Grant McCasland as a potential candidate to replace Beard (before we made RT permanent).  I mean, it's UNT and Tech, but that team had their shit together.

I wish I could say I'm shocked an opponent went 47% against us from beyond the arc, but I expect it at this point.  We're everybody's favorite team to bomb over.

Hey, we had more boards.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

byu is going to come into our building and go 14-28 from deep and there’s nothing we can do about it. and this isn’t based on any stats or performances; just look at their team. they’ve got five of those white guys who love to go totally unconscious against us in league play. when byu comes to town:

I’ve got good news for you. BYU doesn’t play us here 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Too many TOs, and only 3 people showed up on offense. Didn't help that the officials let a lot of contact go on our offensive end. Unbelievable that Tech shot 7 more FTs than us. We aren't winning many games with Shedrick and Cunningham scoring 2 points combined.

5 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Obligatory fuck you to CB.

The current situation is just one more consequence of his arrogant and selfish stupidity. I put on the Ole Miss/Tenn game for a few seconds during a timeout and when I saw him in the huddle the bubbling rage forced me to change the channel before I destroyed the TV. He fucked this program in so many ways. Referring to him as a huge piece of shit is being kind.

• Rage+1 1

you guys are all tripping, and that game thread last night was a disgrace. every rational, reasonable person knows that we need to give RT some time, and to take a wait and see approach. i mean for christ's sake, the man doesn’t even have three full decades as a D-1 coach yet, we have no idea what he’s capable of. this team could be a final four team yet.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7sxkim2xscfvl4ui3kn

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

We know what RT is, let's not pretend it's his first year on the bench. He's an average coach, his track record reflects that.

He was the defacto HC last year as well and if it wasn't for amazing athletes well we would be right where we are now. Getting the doors blown off at home to a shitty TT squad.

At least baseball is around the corner.

• Hook 'Em 1

think about how hard it is to get a truly top flight, game changing player. not easy, huh? and yet those guys are everywhere. there’s a fresh crop of 18 year olds who fit the bill every year, not to mention even more ready-made transfers. now think about how few top flight head coaches there are. guys who build and sustain programs, who consistently win 25+ games and establish a program as a year in, year out power. there’s barely any of those guys, and the ones who do fit the bill ain’t leaving their current gig any time soon.

but as i’ve been saying all year, our fans, and most fans, can’t wrap their heads around that. they don’t see the coach out there on the floor the way they see the players. they don’t see or understand how much of the team/program’s success comes down to that guy and what he does with his 60-70+ hour/week job. you’d think that the fact that there are only 5-6 coaches who are killing it at any one time in any one sport would tip them off to this fact, but nope- fans will be fans, and will delude themselves into believing that whatever they *want* to happen is totally possible when it comes to their HC being the real deal.

like i said- you guys look at the players and you see their limitations and you base your expectations off of those limitations, even if you’ve only seen the guy play as a bit player for one season. you look at coaches like shaka and barnes and you say, “we all know who this guy is/how his season will go.” but when it comes to *your* coach, for 90% of fans, what you want him to be completely trumps what he has shown himself to be for 28 years now. and then you lash out at anyone who dares to say otherwise, no matter how much statistical and empirical evidence proves who RT is. you’d rather go to war over a lie then just admit the obvious truth.

i will never understand nor abide by this phenomenon which permeates seemingly every fan base in america. you look at dillon mitchell and it takes you five seconds to realize he can’t shoot threes. you look at rodney terry in year 28 and you say, “it’s only rational to wait and see how good he is.” no it isn’t. i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that guy is who we thought he was. it shouldn’t take an embarrassment like last night for so many to see the writing that’s been on the wall for years.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hey, remember that little running floater thingy that Disu was doing at the end of last year like 10 times a game? That was unstoppable and he was murdering people with in the Big 12/NCAA tourney? Might want to dust that off. 

• Hook 'Em 3

This team has no true PG and it shows with all the TOs. Carr wasn't a true PG last year, but he was better at facilitating than Hunter or Abmas. Heck, even Rice was better at facilitating than Hunter or Abmas. Hunter and Abmas had big games yesterday, but when Mitchell is trying to facilitate the offense, Texas is going to be in trouble. Also, Cunningham got 31 minutes last night, that just isn't a sustainable number for a glue guy. Weaver or Horton need to step up.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

He signed a five year 15 million dollar contract last March.

Not sure on the buyout.

Appreciated RT holding the team together last season... but now CDC has a mess on his hands. 

RT and his staff have done a shitty job with the roster and development of this year's team.  They have problems on both ends of the court and no point guard. 

Hope I'm wrong, but Texas may struggle to win maybe 5 conference games in the B12. 

Screenshot_20240107-103718_kindlephoto-1750443.png.a47121029856a43f98ace979eec5cbc2.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

so how long do we have left on RTs contract? and what’s the buyout? 

12 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

He signed a five year 15 million dollar contract last March.

Not sure on the buyout.

Beard and Smart both had fully guaranteed deals from what I could find. Wouldn't shock me if they gave that to Terry based on the history. 

Wake Forest paid 14+ million to fire their coach and Indiana paid 10+ to fire Archie Miller. RT will have about 9 left at most after next season if this trend continues. Not a record breaking sum and in line with industry standards if we needed to can him. 

Also after 2 years the shine and pearl clutching from those who wanted us to hire him no matter what will have worn off. 

I’m not confident it would dramatically change anything but it sure would be nice to see Tre Johnson and Cam Scott playing for Texas next year to at least give ourselves a chance. And there is one way to ensure that doesn’t happen.

As great as the portal is you have at least have some semblance of a freshman or two and some continuity to truly be special. The 2022 team was a decent team but getting the core back and mixing in a couple transfers and freshman is what made 2023 special.

Edited by Hookem2147

47 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m not confident it would dramatically change anything but it sure would be nice to see Tre Johnson and Cam Scott playing for Texas next year to at least give ourselves a chance. And there is one way to ensure that doesn’t happen.

As great as the portal is you have at least have some semblance of a freshman or two and some continuity to truly be special. The 2022 team was a decent team but getting the core back and mixing in a couple transfers and freshman is what made 2023 special.

This is correct. This is a transition year for Terry and the staff. I am interested to see what he can do next year with much better baseline talent. If he keeps recruiting at this level, then he should be given a little more time. This team would obviously be much better with Holland and Johnson. Both of those kids made horrible mistakes.

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I dont think we were stupid enough to fully guarantee his contract when we knew he was a pressured hire and a huge gamble. 

Dont disagree.  I’d bet that buyout is tiny.   However I think he gets a full three years whether we like it or not

13 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

The fact that RT was fired by goddamn UTEP should have been all we needed to know to not extend a HC offer to him. He’s a good shit and can recruit but he’s an absolute joke of a HC. 

UTEP didn't fire RT; he resigned to join Beard's staff at UT as an assistant.

48 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Would Chris Beard come back in 3 years when all of that will be forgotten? 

Happy Parks And Recreation GIF

I turned that crap off yesterday early in the 2nd half. That team looks poorly coached and poorly constructed. I haven't felt this apathetic and hopeless over UT Basketball in a long time, and a lot of that is because of what we had building that we threw away. 

I harped on it here last year. You DO NOT FIRE a winner because of a single off the court incident at his home unless he's charged with a felony. Now in 1 season at basketball doormat Ole Miss he's already 13-1 and building. 

This program is so hard to watch right now because our leadership sabotaged it themselves. We had a top 3 coach in the country and threw it away over a single misdemeanor. That's hard to accept. 

3 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

We are Sarks redemption school, why not be Beards?

We could have if

WE DIDN'T FIRE THE FUCKER!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

you look at coaches like shaka and barnes and you say, “we all know who this guy is/how his season will go.” but when it comes to *your* coach, for 90% of fans, what you want him to be completely trumps what he has shown himself to be for 28 years now. and then you lash out at anyone who dares to say otherwise, no matter how much statistical and empirical evidence proves who RT is. you’d rather go to war over a lie then just admit the obvious truth.

This isn't what happened, and we keep telling you this, but your fucking brain fog won't let you learn anything, ever.

The vast majority of Texas fans who were paying attention last year knew that we were in a tough spot.  RT did a great job keeping the ship on course.  RT's track record is nothing like that which would ever get him an interview.  Ultimately, we had to hire him, despite the latter.  Thus, we are reduced to rooting for the guy and hoping like hell something changes.  

We know he has nothing in his history that would indicate he's an elite coach.  We had to hire him.  Shut the fuck up for once in your life.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This isn't what happened, and we keep telling you this, but your fucking brain fog won't let you learn anything, ever.

The vast majority of Texas fans who were paying attention last year knew that we were in a tough spot.  RT did a great job keeping the ship on course.  RT's track record is nothing like that which would ever get him an interview.  Ultimately, we had to hire him, despite the latter.  Thus, we are reduced to rooting for the guy and hoping like hell something changes.  

We know he has nothing in his history that would indicate he's an elite coach.  We had to hire him.  Shut the fuck up for once in your life.

why did you quote my post if you weren’t even going to address the subject matter, and why are you always so over the top angry whenever you respond to me? 

my post which you have quoted is not about us hiring rodney terry, it’s about the “discourse” which took place here like 7-10 days ago when it was me vs the world on the “we know who he is” front (me) vs the “let’s let this season play out before rushing to judgment, this is the only rational approach” front (everyone else). but uh, don’t let that get your blood pressure back down to a healthy level or anything there jj. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

We are Sarks redemption school, why not be Beards?

It shouldn’t need to be explained the difference between showing up drunk to work and being pictured in an orange jumpsuit and having handcuffs placed on you.

I’m also sure Beard would love to return to the school that fired him and let him out of a job. I’m sure that gives him the warm fuzzies.

It’s okay though, half of this naive fanbase will dream of him returning. You aren’t the only one.

Edited by Hookem2147

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It shouldn’t need to be explained the difference between showing up drunk to work and being pictured in an orange jumpsuit and having handcuffs placed on you..

the only people who think about that are Texas fans. No one else even gives a shit. 

Some poster on here was worried about  fans holding up signs of Beard in his jumpsuit at away games and how that would make UT look bad and people clutch their pearls. I don’t think that’s happened not 1 bit for Mississippi at away games. I don’t think people even remember what happened to Beard and why he got to Mississippi. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

the only people who think about that are Texas fans. No one else even gives a shit. 

Some poster on here was worried about  fans holding up signs of Beard in his jumpsuit at away games and how that would make UT look bad and people clutch their pearls. I don’t think that’s happened not 1 bit for Mississippi at away games. I don’t think people even remember what happened to Beard and why he got to Mississippi. 

I mean….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

why did you quote my post if you weren’t even going to address the subject matter, and why are you always so over the top angry whenever you respond to me? 

my post which you have quoted is not about us hiring rodney terry, it’s about the “discourse” which took place here like 7-10 days ago when it was me vs the world on the “we know who he is” front (me) vs the “let’s let this season play out before rushing to judgment, this is the only rational approach” front (everyone else). but uh, don’t let that get your blood pressure back down to a healthy level or anything there jj. 

Are you fucking illiterate?  We understand what RT is!  That's what we're saying.  We have NO CHOICE but to give him a chance.

Your obsession with being the smartest, most prescient guy on this board -- which you clearly are not -- ruins it for everybody.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Are you fucking illiterate?  We understand what RT is!  That's what we're saying.

again, no. go back maybe a week and you’ll see that nobody except for me was saying this. everyone else was adamant that the only reasonable, rational approach was to see how this season plays out before judging RT. do we really need to go back and dredge up every post from that ridiculous back and forth?

you need to go outside and take a walk dude.

Just now, shadow_operative said:

again, no. go back maybe a week and you’ll see that nobody except for me was saying this. everyone else was adamant that the only reasonable, rational approach was to see how this season plays out before judging RT. do we really need to go back and dredge up every post from that ridiculous back and forth?

It's.  The.  Same.  Fucking.  Thing.  You're drawing a distinction without a difference.  I can't change RT's status.  Our fanbase can't change RT's status.  CDC can't even change RT's status.  There is almost nothing RT could do (on the court) that would lead to him getting fired.  So, accept reality and just root for the fucking Longhorns (a team you happen to have no ties to from an educational point of view, I might add).

you need to go outside and take a walk dude.

I am literally laughing.  This should be your own mantra, but you cannot self-reflect for one moment.

32 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Just to clarify, I posted this on December 23, which was 15 days ago.  I think it is an accurate representation of what most knowledgeable Texas hoops fans think.  Tell me where I'm wrong or where we have wronged you:

Facts:

-- RT would never have sniffed an offer or even an interview to be HC at Texas under normal circumstances.

-- he did a great job holding things together once he took over, and the 'horns had more post-season success than in the previous 15 seasons.

-- Texas had no real choice but to name him the permanent HC at that point.  Any other decision would have been a colossal PR blunder.

-- this season we are (predictably) worse.  We lost a lot of contributors -- Allen, Carr, Bishop, Rice, Morris come to mind.  Over 50 points per game.

-- getting Disu healthy should help.

There is nothing we can do BUT wait and see.  We get it, Rodney Terry is not likely to work out in the long haul (see bullet point #1).  We don't need to be reminded of it, and we sure as hell don't need another tantrum about a perceived abundance of freakouts, stats, history, whatever.

Personally, I prefer to just root for the 'horns and hope we can find our way to winning another dozen games or so in the regular season.  I think it's possible.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Pancho said:

yep.  and we were moving to the SEC where it would be remembered even less.  we did it because well because at Texas there was no other option.

and then we doubled down when we had the option to walk away because, wait for it....We're Texas

That said I think Beard is one of those guys that is so driven he is on the edge more than you think.

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

I turned that crap off yesterday early in the 2nd half. That team looks poorly coached and poorly constructed. I haven't felt this apathetic and hopeless over UT Basketball in a long time, and a lot of that is because of what we had building that we threw away. 

I harped on it here last year. You DO NOT FIRE a winner because of a single off the court incident at his home unless he's charged with a felony. Now in 1 season at basketball doormat Ole Miss he's already 13-1 and building. 

This program is so hard to watch right now because our leadership sabotaged it themselves. We had a top 3 coach in the country and threw it away over a single misdemeanor. That's hard to accept. 

We could have if

WE DIDN'T FIRE THE FUCKER!

Sorry.  A line has to be drawn.  Mine may be different than yours.  Mine starts much sooner than wife beater though, maybe yours doesn't?

Also have you seen Ole Miss's schedule?  His 1 was a dog stomp by Rick Barnes.  

Beard is not a top three coach.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It shouldn’t need to be explained the difference between showing up drunk to work and being pictured in an orange jumpsuit and having handcuffs placed on you.

I’m also sure Beard would love to return to the school that fired him and let him out of a job. I’m sure that gives him the warm fuzzies.

It’s okay though, half of this naive fanbase will dream of him returning. You aren’t the only one.

The craziest part to me is how many fans here want him back when you couldn't find a single Tech fan that would want him back under any conditions.  We're rationalizing domestic violence and national embarrassment of the university when they won't even forgive him for simply leaving under cover of night for a rival.    When your standards fall that far below the average tech fan, maybe step back and consider your life choices.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Sorry.  A line has to be drawn.  Mine may be different than yours.  Mine starts much sooner than wife beater though, maybe yours doesn't?

Also have you seen Ole Miss's schedule?  His 1 was a dog stomp by Rick Barnes.  

he's a consistent top 10 coach for sure.  did you see Ole Miss the last 2 years?  holy shit.  of course Tennessee whipped their ass.

19 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Hmm, debatable. He's doing his penance in Oxford right now, but he'll get them winning and in the Tournament on the reg, and then he'll look to make another jump to a blueblood. 

And unless Beard self destructs again, those bluebloods will come calling.