Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

On 2/11/2024 at 3:53 PM, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Holland would have helped big time. Anyone saying otherwise doesn’t know how much a wing would help right now-freshman or not. He made the wrong choice, he’s probably letting the emotions get the best of him, will see if he bounces back or continues to fall. You either keep digging or stop digging…hope he stops digging his hole and makes himself a good player. He was technically a longhorn..

after looking at kenpom, looks like ksu is our biggest game or tech depending on how the next few go. Ksu seems crucial, OSU is a must,8-10 is ok but 9-9 would be great and put us well in. 

Muss got in his ear and cost him big time. Pretty funny he tried to load up on 10+ transfers and it blew up in his face

19 minutes ago, Pancho said:

We’re an 8 seed averaged in Bracket Matrix with our highest seed projection being a 6 by someone. 

Yeah, I could see us an 8 or 9, but not an 11 if we finish 8-10

Good interview with Tre Johnson's dad via 247. Seems to be saying all the right things about the G-league.

Spoiler

The crown jewel of Texas’ 2024 basketball class is five-star shooting guard Tre Johnson. The Lake Highlands native is finishing out his prep career at Link Academy before participating in the McDonald’s All-American Game this spring. A trip to the Geico Nationals could be in order, too.

But first, a return trip to the Forty Acres was in order last weekend to see the Longhorns dismantle West Virginia, 94-58.

“It was a good experience,” Richard Johnson Jr., Tre’s father, told Horns247. “It was our first time in the Moody Center. It was good to see the team get a win that they needed. The energy and everything was great.”

Johnson’s been signed with Texas since November when he chose UT over Baylor. While recruiting pitches are a thing of the past, the conversations with the coaching staff now center around the future in Austin.

“Basically just getting other players around him, around Tre, around the players they already got, to have a successful season,” Johnson’s dad said of the conversations with coaches on the visit. “They’re mapping out what that’s going to look like. Probably not more so high school players, but probably more getting something out of the portal, some bigger guys, big men, other guards — good pieces around Tre to make the team successful and give them a chance to win.”

There’s been bumps along the road this season for the men’s basketball team, but the Longhorns have shown they can compete with any program in the country. Everything is still in front of UT at the midway point of February.

“The Big 12 is tough,” Richard Johnson Jr. said. “You’re watching Kansas and Houston, the top teams in the conference are getting beat. So you really can’t base it on the wins and losses. A lot of the players that are there now won’t be there next year. The coaching staff and everybody is working hard, they’re coaching hard. The Big 12, you gotta bring it night in and night out.”

Johnson’s father looked back on what originally drew his son to the Longhorns over Baylor.

“I think overall it was the relationship that Tre has with the coaching staff,” he said. “It was tough choosing between Baylor and Texas. We love those guys in Waco and the success that Coach Drew has had with the guard play and just coaching. It was tough. But the difference that gave Texas the edge was that relationship Tre has with the coaches, and also having that Texas brand behind you when the ball stops bouncing.”

Many Texas fans following hoops are quick to remember former Texas signee Ron Holland asking out of his National Letter of Intent and going the G-League route last spring. While that’s an option for any elite level basketball prospect looking to boost their stock for the next level, Johnson has always been more intrigued by going the college route himself.

“We’ve never really been big on it because it’s fairly new,” Johnson’s father said of the pre-NBA professional route. “You look at the draft, the top 10 players are not coming from the G-League. Some are coming from G-League, overseas, college. And then when you go G-League, you don’t have that brand behind you when you finish playing, so, you know, that kind of gives the going to college route the advantage.

“That’s never been big with Tre as far as wanting to go G-League. Of course we’ve talked to those guys, but going to college has its pros and cons also. Tre’s just always felt comfortable going the college route.”

Johnson is ranked the No. 2 shooting guard and the No. 5 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/12/2024 at 3:37 PM, shadow_operative said:

IMG_8463.thumb.jpeg.14cfa155104fa131d7ccd53807214cb5.jpeg

Fuck anyone who refers to themselves as a bracketology "expert." How many do we really need anyway. I would argue "zero" is the correct number because its matters not one bit. 

Probably missed the discussion on this.  But Abmas just passed Oscar Robertson for #12 on the all time scoring list.  3-11 are only separated by 240 points.

Assuming postseason games are included (I think they are), there are a minimum of 9 and a maximum of 13-ish games left on the schedule, assuming they make it 3 games into the Big 12 tourney and 3 games into the NCAAs.  So assuming he keeps his average of 18ppg, that will leave him somewhere between #8 and #4 on the all time scoring list.  Should be able to make #8 by the end of conference play.

image.png.d71ac04211fcd36dae1260ec901b5621.png

• Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’d take a look at the Iowa state coach after next year. I like him but he might not be a big enough name for Texas fans 

i’ve mentioned him a few times already this year. great defensive coach, which, since 1999, has been the hallmark of our program. proven to be a very competitive coach in the big xii, and he’s still young. i’m definitely interested in TJO.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, shadow_operative said:

i’ve mentioned him a few times already this year. great defensive coach, which, since 1999, has been the hallmark of our program. proven to be a very competitive coach in the big xii, and he’s still young. i’m definitely interested in TJO.

Same

On 2/9/2024 at 9:18 PM, shadow_operative said:

well despite this team being deemed unpredictable, i’ll try anyway, because this is how i see it:

wins: wvu, osu

losses: @ houston, @ ku, @ baylor, @ ttu

questionable: ksu, ou

the only one of those that i feel somewhat iffy about is calling baylor an automatic loss because their defense is garbage, but then i ask myself just how many more road wins we can expect in this league. for me the ou game and the k state are tough to predict, but for the rest of our schedule, i’d be very surprised if the results didn’t pan out the way i expect them to. 

IMG_8765.thumb.jpeg.3dd20375c8ef9884da22732ab3f8cb13.jpeg

if we lose on monday we’re in real trouble. biggest game of the season to this point.

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

IMG_8765.thumb.jpeg.3dd20375c8ef9884da22732ab3f8cb13.jpeg

if we lose on monday we’re in real trouble. biggest game of the season to this point.

I think we need to win the home games and one in the tournament.  if we lose any home game we have to steal an away game which is unlikely.

Eric Henry: With six games remaining, Texas needs an additional scorer to help ease the load off Dylan Disu and Max Abmas

Throughout Texas’ season to date, the message has remained the same from Longhorns’ head coach Rodney Terry. In order for his club to have success offensively, they must play to what he believes is their potential on the defensive end. A disciple of former Texas and current Tennessee head coach Rick Barnes, the ideas that Terry wants his teams to be defensive minded is no surprise.

Following Texas’ 21-point drubbing at the hands of No. 3 Houston, guard Max Abmas and forward Dylan Disu both were asked about a near six-minute stretch in the middle of the first half that saw the Longhorns go without a point. Both players shined the spotlight on the team’s defensive efforts. “The focus is on defensive end, not offense, we have to rebound better and play more physical, we got out toughed today,” said Abmas, who shot a season-low 14% from the field (2-of-14 shooting) and scored seven points. “We let our offense get in the way of our defense, we weren’t checking out or blocking out the way we were supposed to be, that’s how they got on their run and opened things up,” said Disu, who led Texas with 16 points on 5-of-13 shooting.

Nothing that either player said is erroneous – there have been moments during the team’s 16-9 mark that have seen them allow defensive lapses affect them on the other end of the floor. However, now more than two-thirds into the season, the question begs asking – is this simply who this year’s Longhorns are on the defensive end?

Through a dozen Big 12 contests, opponents are shooting 51.1% from the field and 37.4% from three-point range, both marks put Texas tenth or worst in the league. However, when looking at road losses against West Virginia and Houston and home defeats against UCF, Houston and Iowa State – even when the Longhorns hold opponents below their season marks, it hasn’t been enough to secure wins. If the answer to the question above is yes, there’s no denying that in order for Terry’s club to secure an NCAA tournament berth and possibly more, they’ll need more on the offensive end from a litany of supporting cast pieces whose defensive efforts have made Texas the eighth-best defensive team in the Big 12.

Abmas and Disu have far and away shouldered the load for the team during conference play, leading the team in scoring in each outing except for three, when IT Horton scored 20 against UCF and Tyrese Hunter’s pair of 21-point outings against Texas Tech and Baylor. With six games remaining till the Big 12 tournament, Texas’ head coach conceded that he needs more from his team offensively outside of Disu and Abmas’ play.

“You always need other players to step up and play big for you, we know what Dylan Disu is going to bring every night and we know what Max is going to bring every night,” said Terry following Saturday's loss at Houston. “Those two guys you know teams are going to gameplan for every night, other guys have to be a star in their role. We’ve had nights where other guys step up, so yes, we need everyone to do what they can do at a high level for us.”

Ideally for Terry, his team would resemble the one that forced at least 14 turnovers in wins over Cincinnati, TCU and West Virginia – games where the Longhorns won the points over turnover battle 63-28 – providing his team with several easy buckets manufactured by strong defense. However, if Texas is going to secure an NCAA tournament berth, they’re going to need secondary scorers to step up.

Guard Tyrese Hunter’s 11.1 points per game is third on the team, but Hunter’s scoring has been erratic, at best. Seven times in Big 12 play, the 6-foot, 175-pounder has failed to reach double-digits in scoring, shooting below 40% from the field in five of those outings – four of which were Texas losses. Following Kadin Shedrick’s back injury against suffered against Texas Tech, the 6-foot-11-inch forward’s offensive contributions have been severely limited. Shedrick entered conference play averaging 11.8 points per game, but since the Big 12 opener, he’s reached double figures in scoring just once (Baylor) and is averaging 3.7 points per game – clearly affected by the injury.

UCF transfer IT Horton, who had been a career 11.4 point per game scorer entering the season, struggled to adapt to the sixth-man role playing primarily off ball with the Longhorns and has been in and out of the rotation. As Terry prepares his team for Monday’s home contest against Kansas State (8pm, ESPN), they’ll need strong defense to slow the Wildcats’ trio of scorers in guards Cam Carter (15.5 points per game), Tylor Perry (15.2) and forward Arthur Kaluma (14.4). However, they’ll also need an additional scorer to help shoulder the load against a K-State team that ranks first in opponent field goal percentage (39.8%) and three-point percentage (28.8%).

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The Ignite have gone 6-31 and have the league's worst offensive rating (102.6 points per 100 possessions) and net rating (-12.7 points per 100 possessions) with a roster featuring several players who are draft-eligible prospects.

One of those top draft prospects, Ron Holland, recently told Andscape's Marc Spears he will not be coming back this season after undergoing thumb surgery, allowing him to fully focus on preparing for the NBA draft.

great decision dipshit.

1 hour ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Holland would have us in the ISU, BU, KU group. Johnson was the most obvious bust I can remember committing to UT

I think you mean the Baylor, Kansas, TCU, Tech group.

Iowa State and Houston are the heads of the conference. The group above is slightly below. We are currently in tier 3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

I think you mean Baylor, KU, TCU, Tech group.  IowaSt & Houston are heads of  conference. The group above is slightly below. We are currently in tier 3.

Feels like Texas is tier 4 with cincy, ksu

Screenshot_20240218-152327_kindlephoto-13230525.png.25b8a88753bccffaa5beaafc881baf78.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Are we projected to make the tournament as of right now? Obviously the game tonight can change that.

Yes, around an 8-10 seed. 

Unsurprising, Lunardi has us an 8 seed matched up with 9 seed aggy

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Texas' average seed as of today is 8.21

Edited by Js1