• Yes, whenever possible
    • No, I'll take my chances if something happens
    • Got guns at home, don't carry outside of home
    • No, but not against it. Come to think of it, I should get a gun
    • No I don't
    • Yes I do, but concealed
    • Yes, and you will see what I'm packing chief

25 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

So you're saying the rise of the AR is due to rapid rise of the militia?  It's not due to the assault rifle ban repeal and some good marketing by the AR people?  The AR is the new Boogeyman that the Saturday night special was in the 80s.

spacer.png

The big spikes were after Sandy Hook, prior to 2016 election/San Bernardino, and then summer unrest in 2020/Covid pandemic.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I mean, aren't they? Or, at the very least, scared to be marginalized by a progressive black president. I don't know, I don't make a habit of reading militia webpages' mission statements.

What do you think it the reason for the correlation between Obama and militia growth exploding? Which at least contributed to some of the change in the overall gun culture.

What is your beef with the militia?  Did they touch you in the no no spot when you were young?

So you are telling me the majority of ARs are owned by the militia.  Yet I don't think any mass shootings are carried out by the militia.  It sounds like they are responsible gun owners.

You think the militia is the influence on the change in gun culture?  That's a reach.  The shift is fun culture is the media and video games.  I can guarantee you my 10 year old nephew knows about the AR because of Call of Duty.  I can also guarantee you that he has no idea what a militia is.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

47 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

So you're saying the rise of the AR is due to rapid rise of the militia?  It's not due to the assault rifle ban repeal and some good marketing by the AR people?  The AR is the new Boogeyman that the Saturday night special was in the 80s.

Also, intentional or otherwise, thanks for the making the case for the real impact of effective gun laws.

Completely anecdotal and useless (but what else is this thread for at this point): the reason I don't currently own is largely because I live in California. I considered buying a shotgun to shoot clays with my friends in the desert, but it wasn't worth the entry cost or the hassle to me, despite knowing I'd pass a background check and having disposable income. Granted, I know a pissed off 18 year old would probably have more resolve than me, but it shouldn't be easy.

13 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

spacer.png

McBrides use to have a picture of Obama, with a label "Gun Salesman of the Year" hanging over the office door. 

The McBrides guys behind the counter were always a bunch of assholes on most of my trips there. But they were a convenient place to buy a pistol over a lunch break.

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 3/29/2023 at 3:21 PM, Blotto said:

No problems dude, we'll just sell those fucking idiots more guns, and the problem will go away. Its their constitutional right to contribute to this fucking insane problem. We'll just keep pumping 15 million guns a year into the population and all stand around scratching our balls wondering why the average american is so much more likely to killed by a firearm than any other first world country. 

image.png.fd820220da1137b7845ae6771ca8bd87.png

Dude, that's such a bullshit argument. The primary purpose of transportation is to move people from point A to point B. The primary purpose of a gun is to kill/destroy a person, animal or object. When the use of transportation results in death, its usually an accident. When the use of guns results in death, its overwhelmingly because that was the intent when the trigger was pulled. And yet, even with that distinction, Texas requires a drivers license and annual automobile registration and inspection for the operator of the transportation. Guns....fuck it, no license or registration required?

Pew Pew Pew GIFs | Tenor

Where is Mexico on this list?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

What is your beef with the militia?

You serious, bro?

So you are telling me the majority of ARs are owned by the militia.

Nope. I very clearly said some.

Yet I don't think any mass shootings are carried out by the militia.  It sounds like they are responsible gun owners.

Is the litmus test for responsible gun ownership that they haven't shot anybody yet?

You think the militia is the influence on the change in gun culture?  That's a reach. 

Well, I guess it's good that I didn't say that then.

Edited by aggie08

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Explain how carrying a weapon is not based in fear. 

I’ve never carried a gun in my life. Millions of Americans have never carried a gun. They all live normal lives. They go to work. They go to the store. We all have the same odds of being killed by the unforeseen bad guy, yet one certain group feels they need to carry a gun. Yes, it’s possible, it could help them survive. As someone already pointed out, a lot of bad things can possibly happen in one’s life, yet a certain group of people only choose to prepare for the very few specific situations where a gun could possibly help. They still ride airplanes…despite the possibility that it could crash. They still drive cars…despite the very large possibility they could crash. 

I don’t buy the preparation argument because there are millions of risks humans don’t prepare for properly because they don’t fear them happening 

I don't fear my bull when I am in the pen with him. But I understand what can happen if shit goes sideways. So I take proper precautions. When I carry, I don't carry out of fear. I carry because I understand what can happen if shit goes sideways. So I take appropriate precautions. I don't carry every day, but when I feel the need, I damn sure do. There is not a damn thing wrong with that. 

I'm glad that you have never felt the need to carry. And I hope you never have to. But don't be so dismissive of other people's concerns or experiences. The problem is people who think like you are never going to change your opinion or accept anything other than what you think. There are plenty of examples of people defending themselves with guns. But, it's not going to change your opinion.

So just state your opinion and leave it at that. Stop trying to shame/piss on folks who don't share your view. 

Note: The last paragraph wasn't personally directed at you. Just a general observation of the whole thread. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 12:43 PM, aggie08 said:

To stay topical, how about the group of politicians (presumably on both sides) that, years ago, enacted the permit requirement--which includes criminal history check and character evaluation--for handguns sold in North Carolina. Since then, this "foothold" wasn't used to go off the rails with "dumb and ineffective shit." It wasn't a gateway law into extremists grabbing anyone's guns. It probably even helped to make private sales easier and safer.

But, yesterday, every Republican in their House said, "Nah, fuck all that" without even allowing debate before the vote (not that it would have made a difference).

Lol, you are literally bemoaning the repeal of a Jim Crow era law that was designed to prevent black people from being able to purchase a handgun to prevent groups of white folks showing up in their front lawn, dragging them out in the street, and lynching them in front of their families. Laws like this were designed to, and were effective at, preventing civil rights reform and probably set it back decades. And at a time of increased violence against minorities, you are still advocating for laws that would disproportionately disenfranchise them from their rights to defend themselves against anything similar that might happen in the future. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I don't fear my bull when I am in the pen with him. But I understand what can happen if shit goes sideways. So I take proper precautions. When I carry, I don't carry out of fear. I carry because I understand what can happen if shit goes sideways. So I take appropriate precautions. I don't carry every day, but when I feel the need, I damn sure do. There is not a damn thing wrong with that. 

I'm glad that you have never felt the need to carry. And I hope you never have to. But don't be so dismissive of other people's concerns or experiences. The problem is people who think like you are never going to change your opinion or accept anything other than what you think. There are plenty of examples of people defending themselves with guns. But, it's not going to change your opinion.

So just state your opinion and leave it at that. Stop trying to shame/piss on folks who don't share your view. 

Note: The last paragraph wasn't personally directed at you. Just a general observation of the whole thread. 

Exactly.  I've been LTC for a long time.  Never felt the urge to carry.  I started carrying at the beginning of the pandemic when random misdirected hate started being spewed towards me.  My parents now carry because they are old Asian people and a targeted demographic for robbery.  

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You serious, bro?

Nope. I very clearly said some.

Is the litmus test for responsible gun ownership that they haven't shot anybody yet?

Well, I guess it's good that I didn't say that then.

Yeah.  I think that's a pretty damn good litmus test if being a responsible gun owner.  You have a gun.  You don't use it for nefarious reasons.  

You sure like to speak from both sides of your mouth.  First you said the proliferation of AR style weapons correlated with the growth of the militia.  And it SKYROCKETED.  Then you say oh yeah the militia has something to do with the shift in gun culture.  But no.  You didn't say any of it.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Lol, you are literally bemoaning the repeal of a Jim Crow era law that was designed to prevent black people from being able to purchase a handgun to prevent groups of white folks showing up in their front lawn, dragging them out in the street, and lynching them in front of their families. Laws like this were designed to, and were effective at, preventing civil rights reform and probably set it back decades. And at a time of increased violence against minorities, you are still advocating for laws that would disproportionately disenfranchise them from their rights to defend themselves against anything similar that might happen in the future. 

So your argument, in 2023, is that a permit requirement to buy a handgun is racially motivated to keep black people from defending themselves against things similar to the lynchings of 100 years ago, and that's why it should have been repealed? Just making sure that I'm understanding you correctly.

Why would it disproportionately disenfranchise them today? Are you saying that the sheriffs making the assessment are still racist today and would deny them their rights, even with no criminal history? If that's your argument, I can probably get on board. 

...But that's not why their GOP House repealed it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So your argument, in 2023, is that a permit requirement to buy a handgun is racially motivated to keep black people from defending themselves against things similar to the lynchings of 100 years ago, and that's why it should have been repealed? Just making sure that I'm understanding you correctly.

Why would it disproportionately disenfranchise them today? Are you saying that the sheriffs making the assessment are still racist today and would deny them their rights, even with no criminal history? If that's your argument, I can probably get on board. 

...But that's not why their GOP House repealed it.

Isn't this the same argument for voter id laws?  

No, you're right, that's not why it was repealed. But, yes, there are plenty of racist sheriffs out there who would at the very least be less likely to approve a permit for anyone who is less than desirable to them, which happens to scew conveniently along racial lines. But that is not the only way such laws disenfranchise them. It is no secret that minorities typically have less disposable money and less free time to pursue all the requirements for obtaining these types of permits, yet they are statistically far more likely to actually have a need for a firearm for self defense than those who happen to have less melanin. The end result is that these kinds of laws prevent them from exercising their rights in the same ways that poll taxes did years ago or voter ID laws now typically do. Now, if you can come up with a system where there is little or no burden to them exercising their rights, then that is a conversation worth having (despite your claims to the contrary, there have been proposals like this that have been ignored by both sides because they actually made sense and would have stripped them of their ability to campaign on divisive politics. Look up Senator Tom Coburn's universal background check proposal and how much support it got about ten years ago).

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Don't know about the accuracy of this,  but holy shit that's disgraceful if true. Will do some reading as I've learned something tonight. 

4 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Yeah.  I think that's a pretty damn good litmus test if being a responsible gun owner.  You have a gun.  You don't use it for nefarious reasons.

Nefarious reasons like intimidating Pride events where open carry is legal? I guess they didn't break any laws though, so all good yeah?

Dude...are you a militia member? Weird hill to die on.

4 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

You sure like to speak from both sides of your mouth.  First you said the proliferation of AR style weapons correlated with the growth of the militia.  And it SKYROCKETED.  Then you say oh yeah the militia has something to do with the shift in gun culture.  But no.  You didn't say any of it.

The timeline of the proliferation of AR weapons absolutely corresponded with the number of militia groups skyrocketing. The latter buys lots of the former. No, not the majority, but they have embraced the modern tacti-cool gun culture as hard as anyone. The multiple AR owner market seems to have a type, and it ain't hunters or those concerned with self defense.

I thought I made my points pretty clear. Apparently not. Probably tried to sneak in too much needless snark. A lot bouncing around. Apologies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Nefarious reasons like intimidating Pride events where open carry is legal? I guess they didn't break any laws though, so all good yeah?

The timeline of the proliferation of AR weapons absolutely corresponded with the number of militia groups skyrocketing. The latter buys lots of the former. No, not the majority, but they have embraced the modern tacti-cool gun culture as hard as anyone. The multiple AR owner market seems to have a type, and it ain't hunters or those concerned with self defense.

I thought I made my points pretty clear. Apparently not. Probably tried to sneak in too much needless snark. A lot bouncing around. Apologies.

You're probably right that the rise in militia type groups is correlated with the rise in AR type weapons. I'm not going to look it up, I'll take your word for it, as a general correlation seems reasonable. However, we get into the old adage that correlation does not always imply causation. There are plenty of other factors that overshadow the rise of militia groups. They may not be intuitive for someone who is outside of the "gun culture," but I'll list a few off the top of my head.

1. Obviously repealing something previously banned will lead to an uptick of its legal usage. The rise in AR type weapons began as soon as the AWB sunset in 2004. It probably would have been quicker had the industrial capacity been there to produce them quicker. People naturally want what they can't have, and there was a real fear at the time that it would be renewed by the Bush administration if congress put it across his desk.

2. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, combined with a pretty high level of support and adulation of the military in the wake of 9/11. Our vets were heroes, so it was only natural to want to be like them.

3. The technological development of optics and the industrial base to manufacture them. We suddenly had an industrial base manufacturing large numbers of reflex sight like red dots and holographic sight that allow you to get on target quicker than ever because you don't have to carefully position your head on the stock to align iron sights or to see a scope. As long as you can see the dot on the target through the window on the sight, your bullet will hit there. It's like having a laser that points to your target, only visible at all ranges and vitually all lighting conditions. I've heard anecdotes that the number of head shots on enemy combatants increased dramatically as these types of sights proliferated in out military. This also happened to be useful for hunting in cases where a quick and accurate shot is needed. If you are hunting deer in thick brush where you may only have a couple seconds to get on target and shoot your quarry, these types of sights dramatically help your success rate. This also kind of leads into my next point.

4. Firearms manufacturers began to notice how practical these guns would be with modern optics, but the caliber of the typical AR was not suited for hunting most game other than varmints. But one of the strengths of the AR platform is that you can easily change the bullet it shoots with a new drop in upper as long as the new round isn't too long or too fat to fit in the magazine. They began to produce more and more rifles for rounds more suitable for hunting and even developed new rounds specifically to maximize hunting performance of the platform. Now the AR in suitable calibers is one of if not the fastest growing platform for hunting. To say that it isn't particularly useful for hunting is pure poppycock and can only be claimed by someone who isn't familiar with hunting with one in an appropriate caliber and with modern optics or someone who just prefers to do things the old fashioned way. I hunt with both an AR and a flintlock, so I do get the old fashioned stuff and go more old fashioned than most of the haters do themselves.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Nah.  Not a militia member.  Never had anything to do with them.  The people you are describing are not militias.  Those are hate groups.  Antifa.  Proud boys.  Whatever.  Those are hate groups.  Terrorists 

• Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Nah.  Not a militia member.  Never had anything to do with them.  The people you are describing are not militias.  Those are hate groups.  Antifa.  Proud boys.  Whatever.  Those are hate groups.  Terrorists 

I admittedly don't have much experience with the "good" militias.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Dude just shut the fuck up about “the militia”. No one here is in a militia. The AR is popular because it’s a great all-around platform that’s relatively inexpensive. For essentially the price of a Glock, you can get a Glock or an AR15. If you could only afford one firearm, which would you choose? Yeah no shit the AR has exploded in popularity.

You’re convinced militias are some significant force in the industry when most gun owners just want the ability to defend their families. The AR can do that very well. Maybe they get into the hobby and learn how to assemble or customize their AR because it’s interesting. Then they buy another AR because they want to try a different barrel length or a different caliber or create a longer range configuration or whatever. Before you know it you’ve got a few ARs and dipshits like yourself assume you’re a gun nut in a militia. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Anastasis said:

McBrides use to have a picture of Obama, with a label "Gun Salesman of the Year" hanging over the office door. 

The McBrides guys behind the counter were always a bunch of assholes on most of my trips there. But they were a convenient place to buy a pistol over a lunch break.

Those guys are still assholes, and I’ll still trudge up there today because it’s convenient and overpay for the privilege.

9 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

You feel the need to carry because you fear being attacked when you leave your house. There is nothing wrong with being scared, but if you have to carry a weapon to accommodate that irrational fear, you should talk to a therapist 

I’m not dismissive of your fear, it is real. But I also don’t accept it is a normal when the majority of the population in the world doesn’t have the same fear. I’m never going to change my opinion because it’s based on facts, unlike yours, which is based on emotion. Fact. Most people in the world live their lives without carrying a gun. They may experience fear, like you, but they don’t need a gun to overcome that fear. 

There are way more data of people defending themselves without guns, but you need something more, because of fear. 

The reason this bothers you so much is because it’s true. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

You feel the need to carry because you fear being attacked when you leave your house. There is nothing wrong with being scared, but if you have to carry a weapon to accommodate that irrational fear, you should talk to a therapist 

I’m not dismissive of your fear, it is real. But I also don’t accept it is a normal when the majority of the population in the world doesn’t have the same fear. I’m never going to change my opinion because it’s based on facts, unlike yours, which is based on emotion. Fact. Most people in the world live their lives without carrying a gun. They may experience fear, like you, but they don’t need a gun to overcome that fear. 

There are way more data of people defending themselves without guns, but you need something more, because of fear. 

The reason this bothers you so much is because it’s true. 

Fact: violent crime is committed every day, in every country on the planet. 

emotional opinion: the mental gymnastics you go through to justify your fear of a tool that outnumbers people in the United States. 

Do you judge women for carrying pepper spray? It’s a tool to prevent a worst case scenario. All the baggage you attach to it is your choice. 

3 minutes ago, B00M said:

Fact: violent crime is committed every day, in every country on the planet. 

emotional opinion: the mental gymnastics you go through to justify your fear of a tool that outnumbers people in the United States. 

Do you judge women for carrying pepper spray? It’s a tool to prevent a worst case scenario. All the baggage you attach to it is your choice. 

Correct. And the entire planet deals with it without a gun 

I’m not scared of people with guns. I feel sorry they live a life of fear 

No, I do not. A non-lethal deterrent is reasonable. For example, when I go hiking in the mountains, I carry bear spray because I’m scared of getting attacked by a bear. It probably won’t happen, but just in case, I want some protection. I don’t carry a gun because I’m not irrationally scared of it happening. There are many precautions I personally can do to avoid an attack altogether. Be aware of my surroundings. Don’t hike at dawn or dusk. Stand my ground. Talk to the bear. Make noise. Etc. 

Don’t get me wrong, it is entirely reasonable to carry a gun in certain wilderness or rural locations. But any person carrying a gun in a city is being irrational 

4 hours ago, B00M said:

Dude just shut the fuck up about “the militia”. No one here is in a militia. The AR is popular because it’s a great all-around platform that’s relatively inexpensive. For essentially the price of a Glock, you can get a Glock or an AR15. If you could only afford one firearm, which would you choose? Yeah no shit the AR has exploded in popularity.

You’re convinced militias are some significant force in the industry when most gun owners just want the ability to defend their families. The AR can do that very well. Maybe they get into the hobby and learn how to assemble or customize their AR because it’s interesting. Then they buy another AR because they want to try a different barrel length or a different caliber or create a longer range configuration or whatever. Before you know it you’ve got a few ARs and dipshits like yourself assume you’re a gun nut in a militia. 

I don't think anyone here is in a fucking militia, dude. Or any other gunowner that I encounter on a normal basis. I'm a fucking Aggie, and I currently work directly with the military; I know plenty of dudes with sweet built-up ARs that have them for the reasons you mention. That's why I was surprised fartingmonk tried to carry the militia's water because of one off-handed comment about them. But apologies again for the thread jack. Carry on.

So the greatest state is also the most dangerous one?  What are the odds?   Where the fuck do y'all go during the day you need to pack heat?  

side note though-when the tyrannical government comes for us, somebody please text me so I'm wearing something nice.  

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Correct. And the entire planet deals with it without a gun 

I’m not scared of people with guns. I feel sorry they live a life of fear 

No, I do not. A non-lethal deterrent is reasonable. For example, when I go hiking in the mountains, I carry bear spray because I’m scared of getting attacked by a bear. It probably won’t happen, but just in case, I want some protection. I don’t carry a gun because I’m not irrationally scared of it happening. There are many precautions I personally can do to avoid an attack altogether. Be aware of my surroundings. Don’t hike at dawn or dusk. Stand my ground. Talk to the bear. Make noise. Etc. 

Don’t get me wrong, it is entirely reasonable to carry a gun in certain wilderness or rural locations. But any person carrying a gun in a city is being irrational 

One would be in more danger from two-legged critters in most any urban area than they would be from Yogi Bear in the wilderness. 
But please don’t project your fears on others you don’t know.

Speaking of dangerous bears, a couple of my dad’s troops came across one on Kodiak Island in 1943 during the Aleutian Campaign.
The two GIs were tired of the shit on a shingle from the field kitchen & the C Rations, so they set out to bag a bear for some fresh meat. One guy was carrying his M1 Garand .30-06 battle rifle, the other a little .30 caliber M1 carbine.
A couple of miles or more from camp they rounded a small hillside and spotted a Kodiak bear less than 100 years away. Said bear saw them at the same time and immediately charged at the two startled soldiers. 
The bear closed the distance faster than they thought possible while they began firing at it. Both men had empty magazines by the time the enraged critter finally dropped dead just a few yards in front of them. The GIs were really shaken by the terrifying experience, but went back to camp to get a vehicle to haul the huge carcass back to the field kitchen for butchering. 
They determined that none of the 15 rounds fired from the little .30 caliber carbine penetrated the bear’s thick hide. The kill shots came from some of the Garand’s 8 rounds of  .30-06.

The battalion enjoyed some fresh meat stew afterwards, but there were no more volunteers to forage for Kodiak bears.

Edited by Armybrat

20 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

So the greatest state is also the most dangerous one?  What are the odds?   Where the fuck do y'all go during the day you need to pack heat?  

side note though-when the tyrannical government comes for us, somebody please text me so I'm wearing something nice.  

Shit happens anywhere. Ask the lady killed by carjackers at the HEB up on 620 a few years ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Shit happens anywhere. Ask the lady killed by carjackers at the HEB up on 620 a few years ago.

Yes, gun violence is much more likely to happen here, in the world’s greatest and freest and richest country, than any other developed country.

What we know with absolute certainty is there is no kids body count high enough to infringe upon your rights to play Cowboys and Indians.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Shit does happen anywhere, you're right about that.  At your age, pack 'em if you got 'em.  Not judging.  I own and advocate, I just choose not to carry.  I'm too fucking short-fused and my kids are too little still.  My luck, I'll wish I had one on me some day.  But if I've been in some serious, serious trouble in armpits of South Chicago and Latin America and West Africa with people who know how, and I've gotten out of it.  My luck is running out but then I'm also just an older dad now so I don't get into much shit anymore.  I can't imagine rolling around Austin carrying, but I know some folks do and I'm fine with 95% of 'em. 

Not trying to sound holier than though, I'm more pro-2A than most on this board.  I have to go to my grave knowing that while I enjoy my "I choose not to carry" banner, I've had violence visited upon people on my behalf because I didn't want to get my hands dirty.  That's on my pussy ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

A few years ago…a plane crashed into the ocean. 

If you wear a parachute on a airplane, most people would say you’re being irrational 

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Yes, gun violence is much more likely to happen here, in the world’s greatest and freest and richest country, than any other developed country.

What we know with absolute certainty is there is no kids body count high enough to infringe upon your rights to play Cowboys and Indians.

You support politicians who refuse to enforcement our existing laws. That results in a lot of dead kids.  You have their blood on your hands.  You don’t give a shit about dead kids. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 4/1/2023 at 12:03 PM, Frank Drebin said:

You support politicians who refuse to enforcement our existing laws. That results in a lot of dead kids.  You have their blood on your hands.  You don’t give a shit about dead kids. 

Pssst, you don’t get to pretend like you give a shit about the law after supporting a violent overthrow of our government.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wow this thread popped out some serious CR.

Back on point… yes I am LTC and used to carry every time I left the house. Lazily, I do it more-so based on probability and impact (who is with me) as of late.

At all times I do carry something - a knife, pepper spray, or a my EDC CC. If I’m going to be in an area statistically higher likelihood for something bad (eg downtown), I will carry and take pepper spray. If I have reason to believe PS will be enough, I’d rather use that. If Im going jogging or walking, I will carry pepper spray, mostly for dogs.

For all the gun haters here, just know that’s it’s a fucking pain to carry. It’s uncomfortable, you have to pay attention to the laws (where you can’t carry or posses) and be cognizant of where you may end up and if there is a chance alcohol my be involved, etc. Then you are also putting your ass on the line, if you do have to shoot someone. You will have serious legal problems even if your 100% in the right. You could also be mistaken for an aggressor and get your ass shot as well. In addition to the expenses of ammo, range time to stay proficient, you spend $200-$300 in carry insurance.

At the end of the day, seconds matter and cops are always minutes away. Police response has gotten worse on top of that. It’s a burden to carry but I will defend human life if necessary, ironically even those who are anti gun.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Also back on point, I don’t carry and haven’t touched a firearm since Uncle Sam stopped asking me; there’s no interest on my part. I don’t hunt or camp and have no internet in visiting neighborhoods where the risks of carrying outweigh the risks of not carrying.

I question the assumption that not carrying or not having a firearm in the home is taking on additional risk. There are certainly scenarios where guns come in handy, but also scenarios where even a responsible gun owner acting responsibly makes things more dangerous for everyone involved. The risk calculations are different clearing rooms in Fallujah vs. clearing your plate at the Plano Chuck E Cheese.

It’s a bit confusing to me to read gun owners (somewhere on this thread, in the midst of the CR talk) describe scenarios where there turned out to be no threat as some sort of argument in favor of owning. Unless there is actually an intruder, skulking about your house and backyard in your boxers looking for a bad guy gets infinitely more dangerous with a gun vs. a can of wasp spray, an air horn, or just a rapier wit. A gun might make you feel safer, but unless there’s actually a bad guy, it’s way more dangerous. Even if there’s a bad guy, it still might be more dangerous to start a gun fight. The real question — and it depends on the circumstances — is what kind of interactions are more likely to occur.

Comparisons to wearing a seatbelt or other basic safety precautions just don’t make sense to me. Wearing a seatbelt imposes minimal risk on the wearer and no risk to those around them. Guns do the opposite. Sometimes the good guy with the gun saves the day, but other times he escalates a situation or isn’t prepared for the stress of gunfire, or the normally responsible gun owner gets complacent and acts irresponsibly, or there’s untreated mental illness and a dark moment turns into inconsolable grief for a family, or the bad guy intruder turns out to be a family member.

I’ll grant that there are certainly cases where carrying is the wise, logical choice, but those cases are far fewer than most of us think.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mole said:

Comparisons to wearing a seatbelt or other basic safety precautions just don’t make sense to me. Wearing a seatbelt imposes minimal risk on the wearer and no risk to those around them. Guns do the opposite.

Could not disagree more. My gun will NEVER be a risk to you unless you provoke the response- i.e. guns don't just shoot themselves. I've shared many times on here I have had guns around and accessible for most of my life. It's a tool just like anything else around the house.  I carry a scissor jack in the vehicle, it's not going to spontaneously start lifting up the truck.  Neither will a ( properly stowed) gun just start shooting.

Responsible ownership of guns means having that sense about you that it is a last resort.  Just like you seem to not understand that or be well within your rights to disagree; I don't see the threat to anyone else by my ownership of guns.  There are very few reasons to take them from me, that are not rooted in control and manipulation.  That is why the notion meets such resistance.