2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Dubs needs to stay in the lineup when the little guy returns. Please discuss. 

I think he plays the Marwin role. Gives various regulars a day off and plays 4/5 days a week in different positions. Hopefully he’s figured out how to be an average major league hitter.

They can actually score runs when Abreu isn't hitting in the middle of the lineup to kill every rally. Imagine if they dropped him to 7th or 8th where he belongs. Somebody needs to tell Dusty that you don't have to shit on every young player and kiss every veterans ass.

• Like 1

Another great trip to Whataburger field. The Astros were damn smart just buying them outright and locking it down. Corpus is an Astro’s city and the hooks are a wonderful community partner. 7000+ there tonight. If you go, the Whataburger stand behind home plate is legit. I’d be shocked if Altuve is called up before Memorial Day weekend.  

he owes me a taco. They were giving away a taco for free coupon taco if he got a hit 

IMG_4235.thumb.jpeg.c7f1a6c85b5a4fd8357dbfae46437daf.jpeg

IMG_4237.jpeg

IMG_4238.jpeg

IMG_4239.jpeg

IMG_4249.jpeg

IMG_4250.jpeg

IMG_4256.jpeg

IMG_4261.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

You know he's going to be the completely unnecessary defensive replacement for Chas in center.  The guy who has made circus catches on back to back nights clearly is a liability. 

But seriously, I expect he will starting regularly to rest people.  Or just put him at first base full time because Abreu can't handle fastballs anymore.  It's not a slump.  He's lost bat speed.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, kevwun said:

You know he's going to be the completely unnecessary defensive replacement for Chas in center.  The guy who has made circus catches on back to back nights clearly is a liability. 

But seriously, I expect he will starting regularly to rest people.  Or just put him at first base full time because Abreu can't handle fastballs anymore.  It's not a slump.  He's lost bat speed.

This is what I don't want to happen. Chas already has to battle Jake out there, when he shouldn't. 

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, he fills the utility role, like Diaz the last couple of seasons. He’s a valuable player if he can be a league-average hitter (he probably isn’t but has been thus far in 2023) due to the versatility. By no means should Dusty go out of his way to fit him into the lineup every day though.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, texashorne said:

What's the plan for Dubon when Altuve returns? he is leading the team in WAR right now. 

Fangraphs has him appropriately rated at 10th on the team in WAR.

No clue how BR has him ahead of YA.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Oh I’d take sparky too. He and ford are outstanding 

it’s our tv crew that needs work 

Blasphemy. I think they're all outstanding. Eschenfelder should be in studio only and never on the pbp. 

Anyone else listen to the radio feed last night? I like what Bogusevic brings, you can tell he's done his homework before the games and wants to inform the listener on the finer details from a former player's perspective. He has a future in the booth if he can dial back a little the wonky inside baseball stuff and be more colorful like Steve Sparks. Regardless I thought he did a good job filling in. Btw, where is Sparks? On vacation?

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Blasphemy. I think they're all outstanding. Eschenfelder should be in studio only and never on the pbp. 

Anyone else listen to the radio feed last night? I like what Bogusevic brings, you can tell he's done his homework before the games and wants to inform the listener on the finer details from a former player's perspective. He has a future in the booth if he can dial back a little the wonky inside baseball stuff and be more colorful like Steve Sparks. Regardless I thought he did a good job filling in. Btw, where is Sparks? On vacation?

Yeah was going to call out bogusevic as well.

he’s had some really good insights/explanations on what’s going on.

agreed he’s too dry but could see him developing some rapport with the right pxp guy or just getting comfortable with a partner and display more personality. 

on the tv crew, going to have to agree to disagree. They’re fine but just not a big fan of kalas and blum.

Edited by UTexasFight

If you look at all his numbers there is almost zero reason to believe anything has fundamentally changed about him.  His strikeout rate is like 12% (excellent) but that's offset by him grounding into 9! double plays .  His BB% is pretty much the same.  His K% is pretty much the same. His iso is right in line with his career numbers.  His LD% is up a little bit and his GB% is up a lot. His fly ball percentage is down 30% from where it was before. 

It's all about his Babip being 354 when it's career average is 287. If you think that stays that high, well, I would like to introduce you to May for Julks when his BABIP plunged and he went from nice surprise to more or less unplayable- and he's got some thump.

If you normalized Dubons babip to his career norms he'd have 10 less hits.  That would put his BA at 241 (career 255), his OBP to 265 (career 295).  That would move his OPS+ from 97 (3 percent below average) to something like 75 or 80.

He's the same bad hitter he's always been fueled by BABIP luck through 2 months of the season. Or, he's found a way to beat his average and league average BABIP and this hack or cheat code allows him to be a slightly below average hitter.  I will let you decide which you think is more likely headed forward.

• Like 2

Anyone who can play in center can play in left field.  He isn't the bat you normally play there though.  Unless they make a trade or call up Gilbert, there aren't any other good options if Uncle Mike is done.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you look at all his numbers there is almost zero reason to believe anything has fundamentally changed about him.  His strikeout rate is like 12% (excellent) but that's offset by him grounding into 9! double plays .  His BB% is pretty much the same.  His K% is pretty much the same. His iso is right in line with his career numbers.  His LD% is up a little bit and his GB% is up a lot. His fly ball percentage is down 30% from where it was before. 

It's all about his Babip being 354 when it's career average is 287. If you think that stays that high, well, I would like to introduce you to May for Julks when his BABIP plunged and he went from nice surprise to more or less unplayable- and he's got some thump.

If you normalized Dubons babip to his career norms he'd have 10 less hits.  That would put his BA at 241 (career 255), his OBP to 265 (career 295).  That would move his OPS+ from 97 (3 percent below average) to something like 75 or 80.

He's the same bad hitter he's always been fueled by BABIP luck through 2 months of the season. Or, he's found a way to beat his average and league average BABIP and this hack or cheat code allows him to be a slightly below average hitter.  I will let you decide which you think is more likely headed forward.

100%. It’s great that he’s overperformed while Altuve has been out. But he’s not maintaining that BABIP, because only guys who hit the ball really hard can do that (and even they usually don’t).

Again, he’s a good guy to have on the roster, but shouldn’t be playing every day (or even every-other day) on a good team.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Anyone who can play in center can play in left field.  He isn't the bat you normally play there though.  Unless they make a trade or call up Gilbert, there aren't any other good options if Uncle Mike is done.

Best option right now is Jake in Center and Chas in LF and Yordan at DH.  And that's totally and completely fine. That gives you a bat that's inline (or maybe a little better than the average CF's) a bat that's inline (or maybe a little better) than the average LF's and a stud DH. Of course- Chas bat plays up a ton more in CF compared to other CF than in LF compared to other LF's, but that configuration isn't going to cost you any offensive efficiency.  LF and 1B should be the easiest positions to find good hitters. It's really disappointing that it's been so bad there.  Really disappointing.  It explains why we are a below average O. Dubon doesn't solve that problem.