2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, APMP said:

We hurt. We tired. We ain't what we used to be.

But we ain't quitting. You gotta earn those 27 outs.

Like Rudy T said, never underestimate the heart of a champion.

Now it's up to Dana Brown.

when you see the rooks / scrubs stepping up under big pressure, that’s a damn good thing 

Sad Doctor Who GIF

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, APMP said:
1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

when you see the rooks / scrubs stepping up under big pressure, that’s a damn good thing 

200.gif

We give Dusty a lot of grief, but that says a lot about him as a manager and his effect on players.

when players do what they're supposed to do, the coaching staff looks really good. we need urquidy, altuve, and Alvarez back, asap. kuhnel and martinez need to get more innings out of the bp, they need to step up

Remember when we (justifiably) hated Maton and talked shit about him because he fucking sucks?  I know @LCHorndoes. Well, I’d just like to point out that his miracle run of not sucking has ended, and he’s been so shitty the past 10 games that he’s almost doubled his era. It’s back up to almost 3 from the sub 1 he was rocking for much of the year. 
he should NOT be in the tree of trust. Really and truly we have 3 dependable leverage arms us all in Presley, Abreu and Nerris and if we are being honest they are running on fumes and we should probably send all 3 to the DL for 15 days of rest between now and the end of the season (not st the same time- obviously). 
We need 2 leverage arms. 3 wouldn’t be terrible. And this is coming from a guy who was comfortable with the amount of pitching we had coming into the season. We also need a starter. If Urquidy is back maybe he can be that guy that starts and moves Maton down. Hell, maybe we should call up spaghetti and see what he has. 
SP- 6 man rotation:

Framber/Javier/Brown/Urquidy/France/spaghetti 

Bullpen: Presley/Abreu/Neris/Bielak/Blanco/Marrinez/ Maton

I don’t know that I’d hate that. I mean, I’d rather see Hader, Snell and Graveman in there, but not if it costs more than Meyers, Leon and a lotto ticket  (Hader and Snell) and Julks (Graveman) or something like that. That would be a pretty good trade deadline. Meyers and Leon could both become good players and it wouldn’t really matter with how many OF we have in the pipeline plus “Chas!”  

• Hook 'Em 2

I simply do not believe that the non Seager/Semien/Lowe part of the Rangers is really this good.  I think regression is coming.  Especially to Heim, Duran and Taveras, with Jung to have a rookie drop off at some point.  

I do think it's a really well constructed roster and they have done great things in FA with Seager and Semien especially.  

I could be wrong though, lots of "we just got hot" young teams keep it together for a season.  2015 Astros were like that, then came back to earth in 16.  More callups and FA signings put it fully together in 17.  Rangers are going to be good for a while.  And they still have money to spend.

Their pitching is going to be the big issue.  I'm still upset they signed Eovaldi and we didn't and he's going to be fine if he doesn't get injured.

What's really crazy is the Astros have dealt with enough injuries that most teams would be 10 games under .500, but the heart of a champ has turned that 20 games the other way.  

Altuve and Yordan healthy along with Urquidy would make this a real race.  Frankly having the time off for all of them could be really good given the miles put on their bodies since most of them joined the league.  The biggest change is going to need to be lineup construction.  I get exactly what Dusty is trying to do, see who actually can contribute in the playoffs.  But we're not leading the division by 10 games like usual, so costing us wins to do so is not the way to go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

It was really nice to see Kyle dive for a ball.  I think it's like the third time all season he's done it for real.  He has been supremely risk adverse all season and it's why his defense has gone from GG to bottom half guy.  More of this and it would make a big difference for the season.  He's always going to hit

I still wish Astros would have grabbed Moustakos when he was available. Veteran left handed bat to play first, third and DH. Had 2 HR and robbed of a third. Angels got him for a bag of donuts. Sure would have looked better on the bench than something named Bligh. Que sera sera.

If we insist on playing Maldonado and being forced to pinch hit for him, it would be nice to have someone that won’t be shitting in their pants while doing it and has been there before. Add it to the list. 

• Hook 'Em 2

And yet, where would we be without Dubon's slappy heroics this year?
Dubon has timely hits, but he is not good as an everyday player. He never will be. Let him play 3 times a week giving our team full of carlos correas a break and he can PH in clutch situations, which he has done well at hitting in this year.
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

If the lineup is healthy, I think you have to slot Pena at #2

Altuve

Pena

Yordan

Bregman

Tucker

Abreu

Chas

Diaz

Dubon

You also don't want Alvarez and Tucker back to back to make things easy on lefty relievers (yeah I know how they're hitting lefties right now but still).

Are you playing Dubón in LF there? DHing Yordan? I think best bet there is rotating DH between Yordan, Altuve, and Peña to keep them healthy.

Edited by Huckleberry

1 hour ago, uoftorange said:

I could be wrong though, lots of "we just got hot" young teams keep it together for a season.  2015 Astros were like that, then came back to earth in 16.  

Outside of one 10-game winning streak early in the season, the 2015 Astros were a .500 team.   

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You also don't want Alvarez and Tucker back to back to make things easy on lefty relievers (yeah I know how they're hitting lefties right now but still).

Are you playing Dubón in LF there? DHing Yordan? I think best bet there is rotating DH between Yordan, Altuve, and Peña to keep them healthy.

DH Dubon or Yordan

22 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Peña's the one who's better start getting it together, regardless of who else is out there. Goes for his hitting and fielding both. 

Before yesterday, Bregs was down to .238 BA.  He needs to make the resurgence last longer than a game.

• Like 2