2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So if we do get JV, what package would you be comfortable with? I assume it would take at least one of Gilbert or Clifford. We may need to add Arreghetti and/or Leon too. 

I guess it depends on how much $$ the Mets would eat on JV’s contract. If they’ll pay down some of it, I’d expect them to ask for Gilbert and/or Clifford.

2 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I guess it depends on how much $$ the Mets would eat on JV’s contract. If they’ll pay down some of it, I’d expect them to ask for Gilbert and/or Clifford.

I'd prefer to open Crane's checkbook and keep both if possible. I am not optimistic that we will resign Tucker. We will need a couple of OF bats in the next couple of years. I'm just not sure we have anyone else to headline a deal, especially if we are bidding against the Dodgers. 

• Hook 'Em 2

As much as we could use prime JV to get us into October, I'm not sure he's worth that much in the big picture. Would love a crystal ball to see if all the key position players will even be healthy then. If they aren't, and JV has his usual postseason, we'll be trading away some of our best young talent for no good result. Overall I'm thinking it's just too much risk, too little reward.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I am probably not trading Gilbert in a deal for JV.

I will trade Gilbert in a deal for Soto

If we trade more than a top 15 guy I will be pissed unless they pay 2/3 of his salary over the next 3 years.  If it's a salary dump a bucket of balls should do it with that insane contract.  We already stupidly agreed to take on Greinke's continuing payments.  

I’m probably in the minority, but in a Gilbert vs Clifford decision I would rather keep Clifford. He just turned 20, is growing into his power and could be a 10 year OF or 1B here. I think I see a little more upside and positional flexibility. But I’m no expert and definitely have not seen either play enough to make those decisions. In Dana we trust. I think it’s a moot point because if Verlander will go to LA they will make the better offer just because they can. 

9 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

As much as we could use prime JV to get us into October, I'm not sure he's worth that much in the big picture. Would love a crystal ball to see if all the key position players will even be healthy then. If they aren't, and JV has his usual postseason, we'll be trading away some of our best young talent for no good result. Overall I'm thinking it's just too much risk, too little reward.

Adding JV, assuming he stays healthy for the life of his contract, would also shore up the rotation for next season. Garcia likely won't be back until after the break and who knows if we will ever get anything from LMJ again. Windows don't stay open forever. This may be a very different team after 2024. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sounds like Baltimore is in on him too. Can't imagine Kate would want anything to do with Baltimore. Maybe someone needs to show her some clips from The Wire just to be sure. 

Sounds like the Mets REALLY want Baltimore to be the team.  Every single baseball writer has tweeted about how the Orioles would be the best match in the last 30 minutes.  Cohen is not being subtle.

58 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So if we do get JV, what package would you be comfortable with? I assume it would take at least one of Gilbert or Clifford. We may need to add Arreghetti and/or Leon too. 

Mets want both Drew Gilbert and Hunter Brown.  Astros have offered Gilbert (and maybe another lesser prospect).  I would be ok with Houston trading Gilbert if the Mets eat quite a bit of JV's salary, but giving up both Brown and Gilbert is a non-starter for just Verlander.

• Hook 'Em 1

I could never be a GM because I would straight up laugh when they asked for Brown.  We need starting pitching, so you want me to trade one of my others starters in return for JV?  How does this help me exactly?

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Mets want both Drew Gilbert and Hunter Brown.  Astros have offered Gilbert (and maybe another lesser prospect).  I would be ok with Houston trading Gilbert if the Mets eat quite a bit of JV's salary, but giving up both Brown and Gilbert is a non-starter for just Verlander.

Where did you get this nonsense?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Sounds like the Mets REALLY want Baltimore to be the team.  Every single baseball writer has tweeted about how the Orioles would be the best match in the last 30 minutes.  Cohen is not being subtle.

The O's can offer far more from their deep farm system than we can. These guys are going to be a problem in the years to come (and they already are seeing how they are leading the AL East).

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I could never be a GM because I would straight up laugh when they asked for Brown.  We need starting pitching, so you want me to trade one of my others starters in return for JV?  How does this help me exactly?

Yes it's pretty stupid.  The emergence of France and the fact that they should have Garcia back next season does make it feasible to trade a SP but trading Brown has big time long term implications and Verlander is over 40 and has extensive injury history, not to mention has not been that great in the playoffs.  I do think 2023 Verlander is better than 2023 Brown but no way I make that swap even if NY eats ALL of JV's salary.  Now if the Mets want to throw in Raley and Quintana and McNeil and eat all the money, then maybe I entertain the idea of giving them Brown and Gilbert, hoping the ring in 2023 is worth is and the development team can make it up in the long term.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Can't imagine Kate would want anything to do with Baltimore. Maybe someone needs to show her some clips from The Wire just to be sure. 

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I recommend the Hamsterdam episode.

I bet she'd relate to Nick's girlfriend from Season 2 on the docks.....

(NSFW)

Unless another team puts value on a couple of our surplus OFs, I’m hoping for no deal. I dont think a real difference maker is out there and don’t want to overpay given the Astros lack of prospects.

I certainly don’t want to trade Gilbert for post-season Verlander.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Again, not preseason. FG updated ratings has him as a 50 FV. That was the only point that was being made.

And yeah, I’d rather have Clifford than Lee. 

FG is trash. They even admit in their writeup that Brown should have the 2nd best pitching prospect in baseball, but they didn't pull the trigger. Diaz and Brown are easily 65 FV, and that was known last year with their cups of coffee. Gilbert is easily a 55, but probably closer to 60 with Clifford close to joining him there. France isn't a 40 and neither is Melton, Gordon, or Arrighetti. They mailed in their rankings this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

Well yeah, we might have chased a couple trades around
All it ever got us was turned down
Then there were those that made me feel good
But never as good as I feel with Brown
Dana, you're the only one that's ever known how
To make me wanna live like I wanna live now

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

f that to the moon

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Maybe they want maldy too ?

but seriously, if I’m a gm im asking for Diaz and a top pitcher 

• Hook 'Em 1

We're 1 SP and 1 LF bat away from being about the best team we could realistically be this season.  If Urquidy and Brantley come back and if they are themselves, that is probably every bit as good as any acquisition you could make; with no additional cost. If there is a >50% chance of them coming back, I wouldn't pay too high a price for anyone.  We have a surplus of OF talent in the minors. Parting with one of them (Leon) would be okay. After that, I'd not give up any of our top-5 pitching prospects. It's hard not to want to get in on the action and make yourself better, but you gotta protect the future.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Just for the record.... I really don't want E Rod. I have had him on my fantasy team so familiar with him. I think he is fools gold and dont want stuck with him for multiple years

depending on the price, i still like him.  he feels like the type of guy who does well in our system and then opts out, so who cares.  but yes, if we give up a lot for him, i won't be pleased.

1 minute ago, Ojo Rojo said:

We're 1 SP and 1 LF bat away from being about the best team we could realistically be this season.  If Urquidy and Brantley come back and if they are themselves, that is probably every bit as good as any acquisition you could make; with no additional cost. If there is a >50% chance of them coming back, I wouldn't pay too high a price for anyone.  We have a surplus of OF talent in the minors. Parting with one of them (Leon) would be okay. After that, I'd not give up any of our top-5 pitching prospects. It's hard not to want to get in on the action and make yourself better, but you gotta protect the future.

i said something similar in a conversation last night.  the timing of the trade deadline seems to also be when pena and abreu (not to mention chas) got activated.  we also added altuve and yordan.  if we add urquidy and uncle mike, that's about as good as a july/aug run as you can hope for without giving up shit.  there isn't a dominant team in the al right now, so you may just have to roll the dice and hope that our guys do what our guys do.

honestly, is there a team that scares you?  a pitching staff?

YARN | Fuck it, let's stand by the boys. | All the Presidents Men (1976) |  Video clips by quotes | 50cdbb27 | 紗

• Hook 'Em 1