2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

7 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Mariners in sole possession of first place now with an easy schedule coming up

They end up with the schedule tightening up some at the end. Toronto has an obscenely west schedule. 
andrew and I just taped our pod and we played what would the final records be going through series by series- I had the Astros winning the division and out of the playoffs by 2 games. He had the Astros out of the playoffs but only 2 games away from winning the division. It’s going to be super close. Unless we go ahead and win 12 in a row or something. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They end up with the schedule tightening up some at the end. Toronto has an obscenely west schedule. 
andrew and I just taped our pod and we played what would the final records be going through series by series- I had the Astros winning the division and out of the playoffs by 2 games. He had the Astros out of the playoffs but only 2 games away from winning the division. It’s going to be super close. Unless we go ahead and win 12 in a row or something. 

It's hard for me to fathom us getting even six wins in a row the way we've played all year. Would love to see us do that, of course, but it's reasonable to hope for only if the bats and arms stay dialed in for a full week...and we know what a challenge that's been. To go on a double-digit win streak seems like pure fantasy. Which is sad, considering we have the talent. Get to 94 wins and let the chips fall where they may. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

It's hard for me to fathom us getting even six wins in a row the way we've played all year. Would love to see us do that, of course, but it's reasonable to hope for only if the bats and arms stay dialed in for a full week...and we know what a challenge that's been. To go on a double-digit win streak seems like pure fantasy. Which is sad, considering we have the talent. Get to 94 wins and let the chips fall where they may. 

OIP.kydI2t5A3WHBjDLddxaeLwEmDm?pid=ImgDe

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

How the fuck do you win the division and not make the playoffs?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

seattle has to cool down right? good grief. 

They still have a series with the dodgers as well as 7 of their last 10 against the rangers with a series against us sandwiched in the middle. Frankly, if they win the division they’ll have earned it. 
We just need to win every series, which is doable, and the division should be ours while the rangers and mariners beat each other up. 

I was hoping Arizona would fade but they keep winning. That final series against them will be a dogfight as both teams seem like they’ll have something to play for. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

How the fuck do you win the division and not make the playoffs?

I had us winning the division by 1 game. That record would only have them 2 games clear of missing the playoffs. Andrew had us out of the playoffs, but only like 2 or 3 games back of first place. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

By all accounts Brantley should be back Tuesday or Wednesday. Which would mean for Verlanders next start, assuming Dubon in center and Maldy catching, that leaves Yordan, Diaz, Brantley and Chas for the LF and DH spots. I wanted a better bench but not because we don’t start our best players.

Brantley is a more expensive Singleton. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

By all accounts Brantley should be back Tuesday or Wednesday. Which would mean for Verlanders next start, assuming Dubon in center and Maldy catching, that leaves Yordan, Diaz, Brantley and Chas for the LF and DH spots. I wanted a better bench but not because we don’t start our best players.

Just all depends how JV’s spot in the rotation lines up with Brantley’s (numerous) off days.

I’m betting Brantley goes tues and wed. Off day thu and give him an extra day off Friday, so depends if they have JV pitch every sixth day (Friday) or every sixth game (Saturday)

2 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

So his setback is Wednesday or Thursday?

I ain't gonna fall for no banana in the tailpipe

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Brantley is a more expensive Singleton. 

you're actually comparing a 14 yr MLB veteran with a career .298 BA and 34.2 WAR to a 31 year-old with 433 MLB ab?

We all realize the shoulder is a big problem and probably a career-ender for him, but the shoulder isn't affecting his ability to hit the baseball, it's affecting his ability to feel comfortable the next day and stay on the field.

Fuck outta here with that comparison to Singleton.