2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

How anyone doesn't think he will get to 3000 hits is beyond me.  After this season he would need to average like 158 hits for 6 more seasons.  So what he did in 2022.   When he has played at least 140 games in a season the lowest he has in a hit total is that 158.  Obviously health is going to be the biggest role in it.  Really wish 2020 and the start of this year didn't fuck him out of 200 or so hits.  

I think he’s got a good shot, but I’m not sure it’s probable at this point.

158 per for 6 years is one thing; doing that at ages 34-39 is another. “What he did in 2022” - sure, but 2022 was an MVP-caliber season. It may not be so easy to simply replicate that annually through his mid- to late-30s.

If he stays healthy, sure, I’d expect him to get there. But that’s the problem with age - staying healthy gets tougher and tougher.

His evolution as a hitter over his career is kind of fascinating; his approach now is really different than it was early in his career. His walks are up, his power is way up. It makes him a more valuable offensive player but doesn’t necessarily make him more likely to compile hits. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

158 per for 6 years is one thing; doing that at ages 34-39 is another. “What he did in 2022” - sure, but 2022 was an MVP-caliber season. It may not be so easy to simply replicate that annually through his mid- to late-30s.

If he stays healthy, sure, I’d expect him to get there. But that’s the problem with age - staying healthy gets tougher and tougher.

His evolution as a hitter over his career is kind of fascinating; his approach now is really different than it was early in his career. His walks are up, his power is way up. It makes him a more valuable offensive player but doesn’t necessarily make him more likely to compile hits. 

Yeah, after his first 5 years, I thought with excellent health and longevity he could have made a run at 4000 hits.  But as his HRs came up, the other two true outcomes did also.  He's gone from about 5% BB and 10% K rates to more like 10% and 15%.  At 650 PAs and .350 BABIP, that's around 20-25 fewer hits per year.  Mostly it will be about staying healthy.  Hopefully the next manager won't sit him so much when he is healthy too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Where was it written that the manager has sovereignty over the lineup card?  That shit needs to go away.  This has been the most up and down season I can remember. I saw Buster Olney compare it to one of the early 2000's Yankees teams, also trying to go back to back. The theory there is that it's harder to win consistently when you are expected to. So, basically, psychology is the reason.  Maybe.  As for Dusty and his seeming desire not to put our best 9 on the field every game - the only thing I can think of is that he's basically assuming we are going to make the playoffs no matter what because we are that good and he's sitting guys to give them more rest over the course of the season.  Then he'll play the top 9 guys every day during the playoffs. Early in the season I could see him giving guys starts and reps to see where they were and to give them a chance to improve and prove themselves.  The latter half of the season when we're in a dogfight for the division?  Makes a lot less sense.

Edited by Ojo Rojo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

World......Baseball......Classic

Fuck that fucking tournament

58 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This. Turn it into a U18 event and stop this silly shit of major leaguers getting hurt in a meaningless baseball tournament. 

Bullshit.  It's a great tournament that is always a lot of fun.  Ask Japan, PR, DR, Mexico, and Venezuela if it is meaningless.  It's great for the global game and the long-term health of the sport.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

This. 
He isn’t getting there playing 6 more years. Figure he’s got to play until he’s 40 and I’d still call it 50/50- due solely to healthy. 

4 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Where was it written that the manager has sovereignty over the lineup card?  That shit needs to go away.  This has been the most up and down season I can remember. I saw Buster Olney compare it to one of the early 2000's Yankees teams, also trying to go back to back. The theory there is that it's harder to win consistently when you are expected to. So, basically, psychology is the reason.  Maybe.  As for Dusty and his seeming desire not to put our best 9 on the field every game - the only thing I can think of is that he's basically assuming we are going to make the playoffs no matter what because we are that good and he's sitting guys to give them more rest over the course of the season.  Then he'll play the top 9 guys every day during the playoffs. Early in the season I could see him giving guys starts and reps to see where they were and to give them a chance to improve and prove themselves.  The latter half of the season when we're in a dogfight for the division?  Makes a lot less sense.

He ain’t playing his best 9 on the playoffs either bro. I promise you that. Maybe on a JP France or a Hunter Brown start. 

Yainer Diaz is 30% better than league average as a hitter and grades out well defensively.

Martin Maldonado is 33% worse than league average as a hitter and grades out poorly defensively.

We choose to start MM almost every day instead of YD.

The Astros organization prioritizes Dusty Baker’s ego over winning. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

5 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yainer Diaz is 30% better than league average as a hitter and grades out well defensively.

Martin Maldonado is 33% worse than league average as a hitter and grades out poorly defensively.

We choose to start MM almost every day instead of YD.

The Astros organization prioritizes Dusty Baker’s ego over winning. 

Intangibles, bruh.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if brantley is banged up, i don't know why anyone would be surprised.  this is exactly what i would've predicted for a framber start.

Yordan has had 2 days off.

put him in left, Chas in center and Diaz at DH. That’s my issue 

Our LF and CF will probably get all of 2 balls hit to them with Framber on the mound (and 3 lefties in the KC lineup)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Me when it comes to Dusty's lineups anymore...

unimpressed morgan freeman GIF

Agree, in the sense that it doesn’t make me angry anymore.

But I still find it astounding that in 2023, when the information we have access to about every aspect of every player’s performance and abilities is so abundant and informative and foundational to how every single club operates, this is allowed to happen. Just fascinating.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Agree, in the sense that it doesn’t make me angry anymore.

But I still find it astounding that in 2023, when the information we have access to about every aspect of every player’s performance and abilities is so abundant and informative and foundational to how every single club operates, this is allowed to happen. Just fascinating.

Oh, I'm sorry, have you won a World Series? Do you have over 2,000 wins managing baseball?

I didn't think so.

• Haha 2

Yordan has had 2 days off.
put him in left, Chas in center and Diaz at DH. That’s my issue 
Our LF and CF will probably get all of 2 balls hit to them with Framber on the mound (and 3 lefties in the KC lineup)
I am guessing after Yordans ice skating routine out there that Dusty is done with him in LF

If the Astros had a history of just ignoring data and running with their gut, I can't say I would think much about how Baker is handling Maldonado. The problem is, they've been at the forefront of methodically using analytics to drive decisions until lately. Now, allowing this heel turn where Baker and crew get to just overtly fucking mock the data and brag about all of fatass' bullshit intangibles, it drives me fucking nuts.

And I know it's going to happen all the way through the last game, whether not making the playoffs or winning the world series. They're not going to acknowledge a thing from this. It creates a bizarre dynamic in my brain where I absolutely want the team to win, but I cannot stand them being rewarded for this abject buffoonery. I was tested like this during the Mack Brown years regarding the OL and also the handling of freshmen. Fuck.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

If the Astros had a history of just ignoring data and running with their gut, I can't say I would think much about how Baker is handling Maldonado. The problem is, they've been at the forefront of methodically using analytics to drive decisions until lately. Now, allowing this heel turn where Baker and crew get to just overtly fucking mock the data and brag about all of fatass' bullshit intangibles, it drives me fucking nuts.

And I know it's going to happen all the way through the last game, whether not making the playoffs or winning the world series. They're not going to acknowledge a thing from this. It creates a bizarre dynamic in my brain where I absolutely want the team to win, but I cannot stand them being rewarded for this abject buffoonery. I was tested like this during the Mack Brown years regarding the OL and also the handling of freshmen. Fuck.

It’s nearly broken me. I fucking hate this team because of that piece of shit manager and because our dipshit owner cares more about placating his ego (or he’s a super fucking moron) than he does winning, possibly even costing us a spot in the playoffs, but I love this team and love most of the dudes on it. What sucks is we built this entire thing on being the smartest guys in the room and right now all those smart dudes have left and the organization is in the hands of the dumbest motherfuckermanaging in the game today and a beat up old drunk in Bagwell apparently pulling strings on the FO decisions. It’s hard to win big in baseball. We found the formula and are kissing all over it for ego gratification of an old fool. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

15 minutes ago, Overlord said:

You guys are going to rage even more when Maldy gets a one year contract in the offseason. 

I’m visualizing this every day because I want to make sure i don’t smash my phone or Ipad when I get that very update. 

dusty and Makdy should get the chance for a three peat 

Edited by tx 3 putt