2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Just now, WBT said:

At least he gets it.  Up to Crane to pull his head out of his ass at some point

Yep.  We basically have a senile head coach running the show, while our "GM" is relegated to being a draft manager and our owner is too busy letting Dusty sideline the analytics guys and do things "his way." 

If we stumble ass backwards into the playoffs, I'm worried he's definitely coming back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

GM publicly acknowledging that best offensive lineup gives the best chance to win a game? This seems like progress. 

He has been saying it for a while. It's intentional.

Personally, our death lineup should be:

Altuve, McCormick, Alvarez, Tucker, Diaz, Bregman, Brantley, Abreu, Pena

Hector Neris statement/apology: 

First, I want to apologize to Julio, his family, and the Mariners organization. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Julio as a person and a player. He means so much to baseball and the communities in the United States and back home in the Dominican Republic. He is a great player and a better person and deserves to be recognized that way.

Secondly, Julio has been a friend dating back to 2020, when we spent the pandemic working out together. We have had a friendly competition when one beats the other on the field, something that is customary in the Dominican Republic and especially among friends. My intent in going towards Julio was to get his attention as part of the friendly ongoing banter that we have had over the years.

I recognize that last night I should not have gone towards him like I did. I did not mean to disrespect him, his family, or the Mariners. I do understand how my actions could be interpreted that way.

Last, there were reports that I used a homophobic slur, which are simply incorrect. That did not happen and any suggestion to the contrary is wrong. My mother raised me to love and respect people for who they are and that is how I live my life.

The Astros won 8-3 on Wednesday night.

5 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Look, this is baseball.  You can't just expect to quantify things such as offense or defense.  It's way too complicated.  You have to rely on things like being a big boy and intangibles and shit like that.

Banana pudding is a  most enticing intangible. 

7 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:
7 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Must be a good clubhouse argument going. Feel like we usually have the lineup by now 

They’re shooting Dusty’s wristbands across the locker room for dibs on a day off. 

Edited by slorch

34 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Look, this is baseball.  You can't just expect to quantify things such as offense or defense.  It's way too complicated.  You have to rely on things like being a big boy and intangibles and shit like that.

The only reason they even keep stats is for the announcers to have something to blab about. No team in MLB has ever used them. 

• Like 1

Can only hope that Urquidy starting instead of relieving will bring out his good side. JP tomorrow and then JV Sunday for the must win or Hunter for the meaningless finale. He throws 7 no matter the score and rest the pen for wild card series. JV, Christian and Framber ready to go. 
As far as best lineup, trying to come up with any sort of logical explanation is just a fools errand and makes us all feel dumber for the effort. I’d rather have no clue than say I’m dumb enough to think like Dusty. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

It's no coincidence that this was said this morning, and now we get a pitching change from out of no where.  JP has been a great pitcher, and if not for a horrible game in Boston, he would have an ERA just above 3.  Uriquidy isn't a horrible pitcher, but JP has shown much better performance over a long period of time. Uriquidy has started 9 games this year, and only went 5+ innings in 4 of them. That's how terrible of a starter he is. He's done well in relief here and there, but nothing incredible in either category. He doesn't deserve this start, unless the plan is to tank game 1 so the Dbacks layoff games 2 and 3, which would just be ridiculous at this point.  

This move has to be ego driven, Dusty and Dana are bickering behind the scenes and have been all fucking year. It's atrocious that they can't get on the same page about the guys who have the 4th and 5th highest OPS on the team, an instead start guys that are 8th and 15th in OPS. I believe Dusty will be gone next year, and Dana will find a manager who cares more about winning than playing favorites.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1