2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Fuck it, go full on Thunderdome.  Wild Card series start the day after the regular season.  LDS starts the day after a possible game 3 of the Wild Card series.  If there's a rainout in the WC series, tough shit you lose your off day... get a fucking roof.

LCS starts two days after possible game 5 of the LDS.  Maximum three days off if the LDS is a sweep; if your team is a bunch of pussies that whine about having three days off then blow game three on purpose.  Rain outs?  See above.  Multiple rainouts, let's play 2.

World Series starts two days after possible game 7 of the LCS, repeat the LCS schedule.

I guess surly thread doesn’t listen to mlb network radio pre game. Dana dropped a gem, i suggest 95% of this thread do not read this …..

Spoiler

MLB network asking the hard questions …. The metrics don’t support starting maldy, what do you have to say ?

Dana - I’m not a big metrics guy. We have a good metrics group and they give us great input. Take a look at what maldy did vs the twins, that’s why you start him. The umpire matters the most. Metrics gives us advice on changes that need to be made 

also noted, dusty has final say with all on field decisions 

The above is not word for word

triggered GIF

Edited by tx 3 putt

32 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I guess surly thread doesn’t listen to mlb network radio pre game. Dana dropped a gem, i suggest 95% of this thread do not read this …..

Hide contents

MLB network asking the hard questions …. The metrics don’t support starting maldy, what do you have to say ?

Dana - I’m not a big metrics guy. We have a good metrics group and they give us great input. Take a look at what maldy did vs the twins, that’s why you start him. The umpire matters the most. Metrics gives us advice on changes that need to be made 

also noted, dusty has final say with all on field decisions 

The above is not word for word

triggered GIF

Metrics just built the best organization of the last generation. Cool to see our new Gm jointing with Bagwell and a bunch of others in dismissing the entire concept of making the decision with the best probability of success. 
I’m sure that is sustainable going forward and a great way to make decisions and build a team. Glad we have that cleared up. 

• Rage+1 2

28 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Metrics just built the best organization of the last generation. Cool to see our new Gm jointing with Bagwell and a bunch of others in dismissing the entire concept of making the decision with the best probability of success. 
I’m sure that is sustainable going forward and a great way to make decisions and build a team. Glad we have that cleared up. 

Dusty and Bruce Bochy making the Final Four isn't going to help things. Listening to the media over the last week, you would think the Moneyball era is over.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

A point made I heard more than a few times.

By simpletons. They had 10% of the resources the other teams had. And then the redsox became that org with more than 2 nickels to rub together and won 4 in 13 years. And the Astros and what we’ve built. But sure retreat away. We won 90 games this year and made the playoffs on day 161. Very auspicious start. 
it certainly makes sense to rely more on gut feelings then probabilities. 
don’t mind me I’m just going to hit this 16 against a 6 for the dealer. I’m sure I will end the night with a bunch of chips. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

How about this:

Epstein, Luhnow, dodgers dude, Braves dude and click being the champs since 16- only non metrics and non geek to win in the last 7 years is dumbrowski. 

it’s an important tool, like analytics and good scouting. Personalities play into all this too. 

luck plays heavily into it too

Edited by tx 3 putt

I’m surprised they didn’t have the Astros ride an armadillo rocket and the rangers ride a steer into the stadium while taco fireworks and brisket cannons being shot off while cowboys and Indians shoot it out in centerfield.

This feels like weird Texas cosplay baseball. Idk..

• Haha 1