2023 Tropical Storm and Hurricane thread

HiggyBaby

10 hours ago, WBT said:

I am amazed that to this day there are people that say that the Rita evac was such a pain in the ass and that it didn't even come ashore here so they'll just stay next time.  I'm more than comfortable with the idea that I'd rather err on the side of being too cautious than go the other way.

Two years ago, Nicholas blew up more than expected just before landfall and came in just barely as a Cat 1.  I wasn't expecting it to be that bad and stayed and even that really sucked.  I don't think I slept all night.

To be fair, the Rita evactuation was an unprecedented fuck up in Houston, spurred on by the fear after Katrina. People were trapped on the roads for 18 hours, cars ran out of gas, and a fucking bus caught fire. More than 100 people died because of the evactuation. It was an unorganized shit show. I personally saw a guy pull a gun and stare everyone down while his partner filled a fucking igloo cooler full of fucking gasoline after they topped off their car. It was pretty fucked up man. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Rita_evacuation

10 hours ago, WBT said:

I must have missed the one this year.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not, becuase I didn't say it's happened every year. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/08/29/houston-is-experiencing-its-third-500-year-flood-in-3-years-how-is-that-possible/

9 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

I understand the people who cannot evacuate.  I also do not understand the people with young children who are unwilling to evacuate.  Trying to save your own life when shit goes awry is tough enough.  Now try that with a couple of young kids.  And then even in the aftermath when there is no electricity and it is just miserable outside.  

When I made my post, I said something to the effect of "independant of everything else." And when I typed that, I was specifically thinking of my kid. Listen, you put me in a situation of putting my child in danger, or a change of him growing up without a father, it's not a choice. I'm not staying for a dog. If it's just me, and I'm not married? Different story, and that's what I was talking about. That being said I'm just fortunate that I can pretty much make accomodations to save all of our pets. 

40 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

When I made my post, I said something to the effect of "independant of everything else." And when I typed that, I was specifically thinking of my kid. Listen, you put me in a situation of putting my child in danger, or a change of him growing up without a father, it's not a choice. I'm not staying for a dog. If it's just me, and I'm not married? Different story, and that's what I was talking about. That being said I'm just fortunate that I can pretty much make accomodations to save all of our pets. 

<csb>  In the aftermath of a hurricane here, the power was out for days and days.  A friend of mine is a commercial electrician and had some generators.  He made a deal with a local gas station that had fuel, but no power to pump it, that he would supply the generator and get it all hooked up but he (and his friends) were to be first in line to get gas.   I had a 2 month old infant daughter at the time, a hormonal wife, a freezer full of breast milk, and a thirsty genset to keep everything from going fucking sideways.  He got the station up and running and called me to come fill up.  The station owner had called his friends and once the line started to form random ass people pulled in line to get gas too.   Welp, I pulled up past the line to the pumps in an SUV and pulling my small boat (aka rolling fuel tank).   Oh man I was NOT popular and didn't give a single fuck.   I had several conversations, once I explained that there wouldn't be any fuel without my friend and his generator, things cooled down.  The boat only held 50gals anyway, but man, people desperate for gas don't want to think about you going fishing!   Was without power for 28 days</csb>

Edited by locodos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most "preppers" view their task as the end of days shit.  It's not.  It's stuff like this.  You don't need a mountain of MRE's that won't allow you to shit for a week or a million rounds of 5.56 and you can't walk your fat ass up a flight of stairs.

Prepping in areas like this is maintaining a level of physical fitness for you and your family, having plans in place that the whole family understands, the means to travel, and go-bags that include medical items, medicine, physical maps if there is no electricity, etc.  You're basically going extended camping, not into a war zone

Either way, there has to be a plan and contingencies.  A plan with milestones - this storm hits this point, at this strength level, we do this, etc.  Even those with little means can have a plan.

• Hook 'Em 3

My mom lived in Lumberton when Rita hit. She had to evacuate in a small Saturn with 2 large labs, her friend, and her friend's disabled father. Hwy 69 was one direction for all lanes, but it took her 6 hours to get 30 miles up to Warren, where they stopped and stayed at my grandparents house. Unfortunately she had to leave 2 cats behind, and one of them was gone when she got back. She's always felt guilty about that, but I have to remind her that it would've been damn near impossible for her to have brought them. 

Ironically my grandparents house ended up with about the same amount of damage as hers, if not more. 

39 minutes ago, locodos said:

<csb>  In the aftermath of a hurricane here, the power was out for days and days.  A friend of mine is a commercial electrician and had some generators.  He made a deal with a local gas station that had fuel, but no power to pump it, that he would supply the generator and get it all hooked up but he (and his friends) were to be first in line to get gas.   I had a 2 month old infant daughter at the time, a hormonal wife, a freezer full of breast milk, and a thirsty genset to keep everything from going fucking sideways.  He got the station up and running and called me to come fill up.  The station owner had called his friends and once the line started to form random ass people pulled in line to get gas too.   Welp, I pulled up past the line to the pumps in an SUV and pulling my small boat (aka rolling fuel tank).   Oh man I was NOT popular and didn't give a single fuck.   I had several conversations, once I explained that there wouldn't be any fuel without my friend and his generator, things cooled down.  The boat only held 50gals anyway, but man, people desperate for gas don't want to think about you going fishing!   Was without power for 28 days</csb>

Yeah. I forget the last scare for fuel around Houston, probably before Harvey. And I remember seeing not one, but two independant guys over the course of a couple days with the beds of their truck lined with blue tarps, duct taped in, and they were fillling their beds with gasoline. And they didn't even fill it like halfway. Almost to the top. I wondered if they caused any inadvertant fires by slopping fucking gasoline betweeen the service stations and their destinations. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Most "preppers" view their task as the end of days shit.  It's not.  It's stuff like this.  You don't need a mountain of MRE's that won't allow you to shit for a week or a million rounds of 5.56 and you can't walk your fat ass up a flight of stairs.

Prepping in areas like this is maintaining a level of physical fitness for you and your family, having plans in place that the whole family understands, the means to travel, and go-bags that include medical items, medicine, physical maps if there is no electricity, etc.  You're basically going extended camping, not into a war zone

Either way, there has to be a plan and contingencies.  A plan with milestones - this storm hits this point, at this strength level, we do this, etc.  Even those with little means can have a plan.

Agree. I am not a prepper, but I am prepared. We have stay at home kits and movement kits. Both are simple but will keep us alive for 10 days. I keep enough water and food for 4 people for 10 days. Stay put is based on canned food, mobile is MRE's and packs of Tuna, Olives, etc. Shit that can be packed and carried. It does not cost a lot to build this. One or two extra cans each time I go to HEB. Water is overlooked. USCG rescue water is a good way to go. I keep two Jerry cans ready to be filled. For stay at home, check out Water Bob's are useful. I have one in each bathroom. 

Medical is big. People get hurt when evacuating, but you don't need a big ass Medic kit. I make my own and have a go bag for everyone in the house. 

Another item overlooked and everyone should have is an emergency radio. Again, not expensive but very worthwhile. Add to that a camping pellet stove. During the great freeze I used it to make tea and coffee to keep body warmth up. 

A lot of times you do not move, but are cut off and need to stay put and await help. Never understood the rationale behind wanting a 5.56. I can guard my place with a .20 and if need to hunt in an urban setting have a damn solid pellet rifle. Yeah, I will eat squirrel if it comes down to that.

• Hook 'Em 4

I rode out Laura in Lake Charles 3 years ago last Sunday. My wife and kids, mother, in-laws and pets evacuated to Austin. My reason for staying was two fold:

1) I had a secure building that we constructed specifically to endure these types of events in which to take shelter. I knew my odds of death weren't zero, but they were very low. There was no party, no drinking, no celebration. There was a lot of silence watching and listening to what seemed like the world being erased outside.

2) I had multiple commercial, residential and agricultural properties to weatherproof and secure after the shit hit the fan. The eye passed over us at ~midnight and by 7am I  was out on the street. Being able to immediately address open buildings, lost roofs, damaged and/or unsecured property, etc. saved our family and associated businesses millions of dollars. Not to mention being able to help friends, neighbors and complete strangers even. And then 6 weeks later I did the same exact thing when Delta came through.

People riding these things out with a false sense of bravado and to have a good story to tell are idiots. Personally I felt like it was in our family's best interests to stay. I would not have done so without #1 mentioned above, though.

Edited by smuggs

48 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

And this is spot-on. Being fit and able to handle sweltering heat. Lifting/moving heavy shit. Running power tools. Running a chainsaw.

The most important items in the immediate aftermath were drinking water, our Weber Genesis and a couple of propane tanks, my Yeti 65 and a supply of ice. And baby wipes... holy fuck baby wipes are a Godsend.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Would it be safer to be in one of those multi-story condos with storm shudders - less concerns of flooding and more structural defense as most are steel/concrete?

Wife's always wanted a place in FL, why I ask

I wouldn't stay in any building that is direct beachfront. That is just an insane amount of exposure to wind and water.

Our building is 3 story, structural steel frame with filled CMU walls and 1 3/4" plaster and cast stone exterior. Hurricane-rated windows with shutters and a slate tile roof on metal deck. It is a beast although Laura had it rocking and rolling. We're on the banks of Contraband Bayou in Lake Charles - waterfront but ~30 miles inland from the gulf.

Day before / morning after:

lawton1.jpg

Lawton2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, smuggs said:

I wouldn't stay in any building that is direct beachfront. That is just an insane amount of exposure to wind and water.

Our building is 3 story, structural steel frame with filled CMU walls and 1 3/4" plaster and cast stone exterior. Hurricane-rated windows with shutters and a slate tile roof on metal deck. It is a beast although Laura had it rocking and rolling. We're on the banks of Contraband Bayou in Lake Charles - waterfront but ~30 miles inland from the gulf.

lawton1.jpg

Lawton2.jpg

But it did survive?  I'm just thinking being up and off the ground for protection from flooding and surges and enough steel/concrete to keep the building intact.  Not the mega high-rises, but maybe 10 floors?

Agree about not being right on the water

Edited by BabaYaga

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

But it did survive?  I'm just thinking being up and off the ground for protection from flooding and surges and enough steel/concrete to keep the building intact.  Not the mega high-rises, but maybe 10 floors?

Agree about not being right on the water

The higher the building the more exposure to wind and flying debris. Windows definitely need a stout (not just decorative) storm shutter system and exterior doors need to be multi point locking.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, smuggs said:

The higher the building the more exposure to wind and flying debris. Windows definitely need a stout (not just decorative) storm shutter system and exterior doors need to be multi point locking.

The place we stayed and are looking at has those metal storm shutters that roll down like a bay door and lock into place ala The Purge

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The place we stayed and are looking at has those metal storm shutters that roll down like a bay door and lock into place ala The Purge

Like every freakin' house in Italy... I wish they were standard here.  They're brilliant for storms and for keeping the heat out in the heat of the day.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, smuggs said:

lawton1.jpg

Lawton2.jpg

I didn't know you were a member of the Danish Royal family. Where do you house the gentry, and is the livery in the back or is it a separate building?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I didn't know you were a member of the Danish Royal family. Where do you house the gentry, and is the livery in the back or is it a separate building?

Coonass royal family. You should see the crawfish house.

Edited by smuggs
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Next one up has some weather dorks taking note as it seems to have CAT4/CAT5 projections (albeit way out). As of now, most models have it bending north and heading up Frankie's/PHDHorn's way. Dude's gonna lose his shit.

ezgif.com-optimize.thumb.gif.f7572e9b63093bee7eb5301a33ffb2bf.gif 

I saw a few flashes of green over Texas. Clearly this model is bullshit.

On 8/31/2023 at 10:05 AM, InkaUtexas said:

Agree. I am not a prepper, but I am prepared. We have stay at home kits and movement kits. Both are simple but will keep us alive for 10 days. I keep enough water and food for 4 people for 10 days. Stay put is based on canned food, mobile is MRE's and packs of Tuna, Olives, etc. Shit that can be packed and carried. It does not cost a lot to build this. One or two extra cans each time I go to HEB. Water is overlooked. USCG rescue water is a good way to go. I keep two Jerry cans ready to be filled. For stay at home, check out Water Bob's are useful. I have one in each bathroom. 

Medical is big. People get hurt when evacuating, but you don't need a big ass Medic kit. I make my own and have a go bag for everyone in the house. 

Another item overlooked and everyone should have is an emergency radio. Again, not expensive but very worthwhile. Add to that a camping pellet stove. During the great freeze I used it to make tea and coffee to keep body warmth up. 

A lot of times you do not move, but are cut off and need to stay put and await help. Never understood the rationale behind wanting a 5.56. I can guard my place with a .20 and if need to hunt in an urban setting have a damn solid pellet rifle. Yeah, I will eat squirrel if it comes down to that.

I have a 5.56, but only use it for hogs and other large vermin, and shooting practice.  I have a Sharps 45-70 for large game, and a Marlin .22LR that I can plink a plastic bottle cap at 50 yards with relative ease.  That's for rabbits or whatever small game I'd need to use for daily eating if necessary.  Fishing poles and my small tackle box.  Raw beans and rice, canned veggies and beans, 20 gallons of fresh drinking water, camping stove and standard propane tank.   Even if I took the 5.56 with me, it'd stay underneath the back seat of the truck, the 12 guage and .22 would do the rest.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Who would you be guarding your place against with a 20g?

I rode out Alicia on the west end of Galveston Island. By the time we got the boats out of the water, on trailers, and headed toward Houston, we were just finishing boarding up and the cops came down the street to tell everyone to hunker down because the roads were impassable.   The worst part of the storm itself was a tornado pinballing off of houses as it went up the main canal and listening as it sheared off the northwest corner of our house.  The worst part of the entire event was being without electricity for several days until we could get everything secured and get back across the causeway.

The idea of being without electricity is the only reason I evacuated for Rita.  But 12 hours to Dallas provided plenty of fodder to argue against evacuating the next time.

Anyone trying to get in. People are not kind during disasters. 
What would you want? 

Semi automatic with more capacity and range.

If someone is trying to get in your front door a shotgun is an ok tool. If you have multiple people it isn’t the best choice.

I am not familiar with your home/area so I can’t tell you what is best. But I sold guns for a long time (still do - different capacity) and I was never a fan of shotguns as a primary HD weapon. There are myriad reasons for my thinking but if you feel confident with it then that’s all that matters.

On 9/7/2023 at 9:46 AM, Trey3216 said:

I have a 5.56, but only use it for hogs and other large vermin, and shooting practice.  I have a Sharps 45-70 for large game, and a Marlin .22LR that I can plink a plastic bottle cap at 50 yards with relative ease.  That's for rabbits or whatever small game I'd need to use for daily eating if necessary.  Fishing poles and my small tackle box.  Raw beans and rice, canned veggies and beans, 20 gallons of fresh drinking water, camping stove and standard propane tank.   Even if I took the 5.56 with me, it'd stay underneath the back seat of the truck, the 12 guage and .22 would do the rest.  

Make sure you save your urine in jars too. Not in case of a natural disaster, just in general.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Semi automatic with more capacity and range.

If someone is trying to get in your front door a shotgun is an ok tool. If you have multiple people it isn’t the best choice.

I am not familiar with your home/area so I can’t tell you what is best. But I sold guns for a long time (still do - different capacity) and I was never a fan of shotguns as a primary HD weapon. There are myriad reasons for my thinking but if you feel confident with it then that’s all that matters.

If you come for my TV, fuck it take it. If you come into my bedroom, then we have an issue. There are other tools in the house if things are that bad, but the shotgun is my go to for simple shit. 

I did not sell weapons, but I have been around a lot and in some interesting places. correct, every location and situation requires adjustment. San Salvador or Kabul? Yep, different weapons. A nice part of a pretty safe Texas town? Nah, don't need an RPK or an M-4. I would love to have an MP-5 though. 

For pigs I preferred an AK over an M-4.