2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

13 hours ago, Bevo said:

On O at this point in time, QB, OL, RB will be better. WR and TE will be worse (depending on AD). We should be a better running team but I'm not sure Sark will take advantage of that.

On D at this point, DL will be weaker, DE will be stronger, DB will be stronger, LB will be about the same. We should be better against the pass and worse against the run.

If we get Caldwell and he and Collins both continue improving, there shouldn't be that much drop off on the DL. It may not be the best in the country, but it should still be really good. I agree on WR and TE, but an improved Ewers and OL should offset that. Basically, I think both sides of the ball should be the same or better even if individual units aren't as strong.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Caldwell is more or a run-plugger at DT, right? That would definitely help since Collins, Broughton, and Bledsoe all seem more like penetrating gap shooters there. If Mitchell is ready to play and Bryant can take a leap, they should also give us reps that can eat blocks in the middle. 

38 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Walkin' On IS SERIOUS BIDNESS

They should just be happy a 19 in a row hittin' G like Bert Auburn would be in the same picture as them. 

Dude can’t even hook em correctly. Do not want.

16 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Caldwell is more or a run-plugger at DT, right? That would definitely help since Collins, Broughton, and Bledsoe all seem more like penetrating gap shooters there. If Mitchell is ready to play and Bryant can take a leap, they should also give us reps that can eat blocks in the middle. 

This year, PFF graded Murphy 7 or 8 points higher against the run than as a pass rusher and Sweat was 10 or so points higher as a pass rusher than against the run. Though both were elite in both facets. Caldwell and Collins have a similar profile - Caldwell is slightly better against the run and Collins is slightly better as a pass rusher. I don't know what happened with Bryant this year - he seemed to regress a bit.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Now we’re really seeing way more go out than come in…this is on a playoff team. Not saying that most of these weren’t bread but I’m really wondering how we aren’t thin at some positions next year. We may have a stud at a position but behind him could be….

surprisingly wr is not one I’m that worried about. I think the net loss of worthy and his “effort” on plays will level out. 

Every person that went into the portal from our team either was a non contributor or was passed up on the depth chart.  We will have 20+ new guys this spring from HS and portal. 

12 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I really don't understand someone leaving Texas to play for unlv, unless Sark suggested that he should go elsewhere. He's gonna get playing time here, and a much better chance of actually winning a lot of games. Maybe the NIL money there, as a starter, was more than he was going to get as a part time player here. 

Most of the responses to this have covered things, but the part about NIL from UNLV versus Texas can use more color. 

When Texas lands a guy like Catalon, in terms of a competitive portal recruitment, certain expectations are set on both sides. When a portal recruitment like that winds up not working out and the guy then transfers again, it’s very unlikely much NIL was involved at all. Maybe a couple of schools showed interest, but him landing at UNLV should tell you that it wasn’t about the money. 

The guy has some chronic issues at this point, some of which, or much of which, is mental. Any program talking to him is going to figure out really quickly that he may not love football anymore. Maybe Odom can help him rekindle that if he can stay healthy? Who knows, but there wasn’t going to be that opportunity at Texas in 2024. 

59 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Now we’re really seeing way more go out than come in…this is on a playoff team. Not saying that most of these weren’t bread but I’m really wondering how we aren’t thin at some positions next year. We may have a stud at a position but behind him could be….

surprisingly wr is not one I’m that worried about. I think the net loss of worthy and his “effort” on plays will level out. 

You worry too much. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, someguy said:

The notion of Catalon as some kind of defensive savior who was injured and whose triumphant return would bolster the defense that was popular on Texas boards/websites was very much out of touch with reality. 

And now all those poor idiots wish they were some guy like you.

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm shocked anyone thought he played with low effort this year. For a little guy, he played through pain and did his best to truck-stick bigger defenders.

Some people just hate changing their minds once they have a viewpoint.

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm shocked anyone thought he played with low effort this year. For a little guy, he played through pain and did his best to truck-stick bigger defenders.

It takes imagination to understand players who break the mold. Worthy is different than any receiver I've ever seen. Absolutely elite in unique ways but less than average in others. It's the former that matters, and why he'll go first round, because NFL defenses will have to account for it.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He played with fire this year....loved watching him lower his shoulder and show his physical side.

• Hook 'Em 1

Beware hot take

Heard this sentiment in the stands a bit at the Sugar Bowl as well.

Personally, I wonder if he just has a bit of an issue tracking the ball on deeper routes. Makes it look like he isn't making an extra effort to catch a ball that, in reality, he isn't seeing very well.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, pacman said:

Beware hot take

Heard this in the stands a bit at the Sugar Bowl. Personally, I wonder if he just has a bit of an issue tracking the ball on deeper routes. Makes it look like he isn't making an extra effort to catch a ball that, in reality, he isn't seeing very well.

He looked better at it this year than he did last year IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He looked better at it this year than he did last year IMO. 

He was absolutely better at it, I don't know if Chris Jackson was the reason, but anyone complaining about Worthy 's performance has bubble gum for brains.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:
1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

You worry too much. 

We aren't seeing more go out that come in. We had 23 guys at senior night - I've crossed out the ones who are mentioned elsewhere or aren't scholarship -

Walk-on wide receiver Paxton Anderson, Walk-on tight end Gus Asel, Defensive back Jahdae Barron, Walk-on tight end Patrick Bayouth, Linebacker Jett Bush,    Defensive tackle Trill Carter, Defensive tackle Alfred Collins - He is staying, Safety Kitan Crawford, Linebacker Jaylan Ford, Linebacker David Gbenda - He is staying,   Offensive lineman Sawyer Goram-Welch, Right tackle Christian Jones, Walk-on linebacker Tannahill Love, Walk-on kicker Gabriel Lozano, Center Jake Majors - He is staying, Defensive lineman Peter Mpagi, Defensive tackle Byron Murphy, Running back Keilan Robinson, Punter Ryan Sanborn, Defensive tackle T’Vondre Sweat,  Safety Jerrin Thompson, Wide receiver Jordan Whittington

So really, we only lost 10 seniors.

Then we have had 13 guys enter the portal (Catalon, Turner-Gooden, Ross, Cain, Allen, Brice, Murphy, Neyor, Goram-Welch, Wright, Thompson, Crawford, Carter). Plus, Watts. We have had 3 guys - Whittington, Brooks (?), Sanders - declare.

So 27 guys have left the program and we have signed 23 guys. Currently we have room for 4 transfers.

All the guys who have hit the portal except Watts and Thompson were depth. Thompson was exploited and was going to get passed up.

Depth guys need to be the younger players. We don't want junior and senior depth at the expense of losing freshmen and sophomores. We have to use some of the younger guys or they will either leave or not be ready for prime-time when seniors leave.

• Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

We aren't seeing more go out that come in. We had 23 guys at senior night - I've crossed out the ones who are mentioned elsewhere or aren't scholarship -

Walk-on wide receiver Paxton Anderson, Walk-on tight end Gus Asel, Defensive back Jahdae Barron, Walk-on tight end Patrick Bayouth, Linebacker Jett Bush,    Defensive tackle Trill Carter, Defensive tackle Alfred Collins - He is staying, Safety Kitan Crawford, Linebacker Jaylan Ford, Linebacker David Gbenda - He is staying,   Offensive lineman Sawyer Goram-Welch, Right tackle Christian Jones, Walk-on linebacker Tannahill Love, Walk-on kicker Gabriel Lozano, Center Jake Majors - He is staying, Defensive lineman Peter Mpagi, Defensive tackle Byron Murphy, Running back Keilan Robinson, Punter Ryan Sanborn, Defensive tackle T’Vondre Sweat,  Safety Jerrin Thompson, Wide receiver Jordan Whittington

So really, we only lost 10 seniors.

Then we have had 13 guys enter the portal (Catalon, Turner-Gooden, Ross, Cain, Allen, Brice, Murphy, Neyor, Goram-Welch, Wright, Thompson, Crawford, Carter). Plus, Watts. We have had 3 guys - Whittington, Brooks (?), Sanders - declare.

So 27 guys have left the program and we have signed 23 guys. Currently we have room for 4 transfers.

All the guys who have hit the portal except Watts and Thompson were depth. Thompson was exploited and was going to get passed up.

Depth guys need to be the younger players. We don't want junior and senior depth at the expense of losing freshmen and sophomores. We have to use some of the younger guys or they will either leave or not be ready for prime-time when seniors leave.

To be fair the 85 limit only comes into play for fall camp. 

We have 22 guys currently who will be starting class in 2 weeks(19 incoming freshmen, 3 transfers)

Just out of curiosity what are we at scholarship numbers wise with the latest?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

First recorded Duke football fan on Twitter? Banging tweet 

This is the caliber of recruits that aggy is chasing. Supposedly he was processed by aggy, who knows. But Duke is his final destination. Duke. 

Wow this is just a brain dead take.

What position, specifically are you worried about being too thin at next year? I can think of one on defense which appears to be trending toward being a net upgrade through a portal add. Probably one on offense too, but it hasn’t had any portal losses.

Hilariously dumb take on Worthy that is barely even worth acknowledging. Dude was truck sticking guys all year at 175 pounds.
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

The stands in the sugar bowl were filled with absolute mouth breathing fucking morons.   It was embarrassing.

You've got to remember that these are just simple onlookers. These are people of the stands. The common clay of the new alumni. You know ... fans.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Is anyone else super concerned about the locker room culture of our walk-ons?  This Reed Malphurs - Tannahil Love situation has the potential to turn into a deadly ass-cancer.  How long before the Aggies use this against us to recruit our walkons from under us?

Also starting to get concerned about the walk-on numbers

2 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Is this Fancyboots?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

My 9.95 contact says the Aggies just got a portal commitment from Reed Malphurs. They are above white hot now.  not even sure what color this streak is...like Chernobyl hot.

More like the Elephants Foot.... full of toxic radioactive sludge. 

7 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

My 9.95 contact says the Aggies just got a portal commitment from Reed Malphurs. They are above white hot now.  not even sure what color this streak is...like Chernobyl hot.

well with the news about their nuclear program, that would make sense /no cr

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Have there been any reports of us looking for a punter in the portal? Seems like we should at least grab an average joe who wants a Texas degree as a safety net in case this true freshman struggles

Banks and Sark are gushing about Kern. I doubt they’re looking in the portal for a punter. 

1 hour ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, MirrOlure said:
…..but we agree the dude from Clemson is gonna ball out, right?

Mukuba doesn't have a history of injuring himself after every good play he makes. So there's that at least.

Aside from his propensity for injuries, Catalon was a liability in coverage. His only attribute I could see was laying the wood playing downhill, and he had some nice examples of doing that. Unfortunately, he also had some examples of whiffing on tackles as hitters who launch and don't wrap up are often wont to do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nahlin (IT) is putting in a CB / RPM (80%) for Houston DT Jamaree Caldwell to sign with Texas. 

Nahlin said they have no update on CJ Daniels (Liberty WR visiting Texas today), but that Texas is still evaluating multiple WRs, TEs, and DBs. 

In answer to a question from a poster - Nahlin says that Dorian Singer is another receiver they are having discussions with. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.