2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk

24 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I imagine following the Spring game that he got an as it stands now Holmes and Muhammad are the starters speech and that didn't sit well.

IMO sark should not be telling any 1st or 2nd string players in the spring that they may not start, unless he wants them to leave. A lot of things can change between spring and fall. Now if a player is demanding that the coach guarantee a starting role, that’s altogether different. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Just makes me appreciate guys that are bought in about the process and want to be the best version for the team versus entitled players that are more money and their own success.

Are the players who transferred TO Texas entitled, or does it only run the one way?

• Hook 'Em 6

15 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Are the players who transferred TO Texas entitled, or does it only run the one way?

The difference is TB overplayed his hand and found out.

The players Texas got in the portal either upgraded or made lateral movements.

18 minutes ago, Foosters said:

It they want a ton of NIL money and a guaranteed starting spot, then I would say yes. 

25 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

IMO sark should not be telling any 1st or 2nd string players in the spring that they may not start, unless he wants them to leave. A lot of things can change between spring and fall. Now if a player is demanding that the coach guarantee a starting role, that’s altogether different. 

Did you not watch the Washington game in the Sugar Bowl?

Did you not see the spring game?

Brooks was begging to be shown the bench, or door. 🚪 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Did you not watch the Washington game in the Sugar Bowl?

Did you not see the spring game?

Brooks was begging to be shown the bench, or door. 🚪 

Hence why I said “unless he wants them to leave.” 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Hence why I said “unless he wants them to leave.” 

Everyone is told where they stand and what they need to improve upon. If telling a previous year starter the truth prompts the player to leave, that is on the player.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Everyone is told where they stand and what they need to improve upon. If telling a previous year starter the truth prompts the player to leave, that is on the player.

We are envisioning different conversations between Sark and the players. It’s about the nuance of how the conversation is done. When you are running a business “how” you provide the message to an employee is just as important as the message.

• Like 1

Brooks wanted more than he was viewed as being worth. He wasn't pushed to leave. He was merely not asked to stay. 

I wouldn't be surprised by some portal takes (1-2 of the remaining 3 slots) with 2-4 years of eligibility left. I don't really get it, but whatever. There's not a lot of meat left on the bone this cycle. Maybe the scouts find something somewhere on tape that excites them.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wouldn't be surprised by some portal takes (1-2 of the remaining 3 slots) with 2-4 years of eligibility left. I don't really get it, but whatever. There's not a lot of meat left on the bone this cycle. Maybe the scouts find something somewhere on tape that excites them.

The “meat may not be worth the juice”.

okay

“At the end of the day…”

• Haha 2

Maybe my brain isn’t functioning optimally (too much time on Surly), but with the shit job Davis did over the years recruiting DTs and with a scholarship to play with, I can see an argument for bringing in a once highly rated younger player with the preferred size (so not a Swanson type) and upside and getting him in the system now, rather than wait to win a recruiting battle for a high school kid. This way, he’s a year or two into his growth, even if he’s not necessarily a plug and play. Of course, this is contingent upon such a player being available and amenable to a very modest NIL offer to offset culture issues. Could be looking for a unicorn…

Maybe my brain isn’t functioning optimally (too much time on Surly), but with the shit job Davis did over the years recruiting DTs and with a scholarship to play with, I can see an argument for bringing in a once highly rated younger player with the preferred size (so not a Swanson type) and upside and getting him in the system now, rather than wait to win a recruiting battle for a high school kid. This way, he’s a year or two into his growth, even if he’s not necessarily a plug and play. Of course, this is contingent upon such a player being available and amenable to a very modest NIL offer to offset culture issues. Could be looking for a unicorn…

Sydir Mitchell?
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

Just now, Red Five said:

Sydir Mitchell?

I was thinking just that type who hopped in (obviously) elsewhere. But with a Slim Fast a couple days a week for breakfast. There was a kid from Florida who went to Marshall I saw in the portal. I can’t recall if he plays a desired position, nor do I know if he’s worth a shit/not a locker room cancer, but perhaps it’s a way to skip a year of development. Just a notion.

56 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Brooks wanted more than he was viewed as being worth. He wasn't pushed to leave. He was merely not asked to stay. 

Punter is likely.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Nakos has been horribly wrong many times before. So boulder of salt here. 

Probably just factoring the distance to his hometown as a reason to watch Texas.

But I certainly wouldn't be against it.

24/7 had him around 250 coming out of high school as a defensive end (I don’t think we need those). But the 2023 Oregon roster labeled him a “Defensive Lineman” at 290. Maybe they were beefing him up to play inside, I have no idea. If he’s really up to the 290 area, perhaps worth looking into. Considering what the 2025 Texas DT/NG room will look like with Collins/Broughton/Savea/Norton all gone, it’s what, Bledsoe/Bryant/Mitchell/January/Hills and incoming freshmen? DT portal next year should be the same high dollar stakes as this year. 

23 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Nakos has been horribly wrong many times before. So boulder of salt here. 

It literally says in the tweet that the info is coming from Wiltfong

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Played in 1 game last year against Portland State and recorded 1 tackle lol

That doesn't mean anything - He is playing a different position than he played in high school. Did he get fat or did he get strong and maintain his speed? It is hard to know anything without insider info.

8 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Getting the guy that the meh Michigan State guy is forcing into the portal seems extra meh

As has been stated we have a couple extra scholarships, if he develops he helps cover up some of Bo’s shitty 2022 and 2023 recruiting and if he doesn’t you ship him off in January. Literally a no lose situation. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

I read that he played in 3 games and has 4 years of eligibility remaining.

Also, judging by that neck (or lack there of), 290 lbs seems more accurate than 250 lbs. 

Oregon football defensive lineman Johnny Bowens III entering transfer portal

• Updated: Apr. 26, 2024, 1:25 p.m.|
  • Published: Apr. 26, 2024, 8:09 a.m.

EUGENE — Oregon is losing a freshman defensive lineman to transfer.

Johnny Bowens III, who played in three games while redshirting last season, announced he was entering the transfer portal on Friday. Bowens is entering his redshirt-freshman season with four years of eligibility remaining.

The 6-foot-3, 290-pound Bowens made two tackles while appearing in three games last season.

He was a four-star recruit out of Judson (Texas) High ranked No. 212 nationally and No. 26 among defensive linemen in the 247Sports Composite in the class of 2023. He is the fifth player of UO’s 29 high school signees in the class of 2023 to transfer...

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2024/04/oregon-football-defensive-lineman-johnny-bowens-iii-entering-transfer-portal.html?outputType=amp

Edited by Napoleon

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Getting the guy that the meh Michigan State guy is forcing into the portal seems extra meh

On this morning's "OTF Today" video, Bobby mentioned that Sark and staff want to use any remaining scholarships (not spent on immediate impact guys) on freshman or RS freshman who might be good development takes. As has been mentioned, Bowens gained a lot of weight and switched from DE to DT, so he needs to develop accordingly. I see it as a flyer on somebody at a premium position instead of forgoing the use of a scholarship/giving it to a walk-on.

Texas sits at 82 right now, so they have three to spare. I know they are searching for immediate impact types at DT, LB, and P, and I would think they take risks on developmental guys if they don't hit on three at those positions. If they don't develop, they'll just portal out. I guess it remains to be seen if Auburn will benefit from an unaccounted scholarship.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

He played only 7 snaps that game, in total he has played 11 snaps and has 3 tackles as a true freshman. It is obvious that his stats are completely irrelevant, pure eye test here.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Texas sits at 82 right now, so they have three to spare.

I thought the Cali Corner put us at 83. Is that not right? Cards on the table, I don't always math well.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

As has been stated we have a couple extra scholarships, if he develops he helps cover up some of Bo’s shitty 2022 and 2023 recruiting and if he doesn’t you ship him off in January. Literally a no lose situation. 

5 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

On this morning's "OTF Today" video, Bobby mentioned that Sark and staff want to use any remaining scholarships (not spent on immediate impact guys) on freshman or RS freshman who might be good development takes. As has been mentioned, Bowens gained a lot of weight and switched from DE to DT, so he needs to develop accordingly. I see it as a flyer on somebody at a premium position instead of forgoing the use of a scholarship/giving it to a walk-on.

Texas sits at 82 right now, so they have three to spare. I know they are searching for immediate impact types at DT, LB, and P, and I would think they take risks on developmental guys if they don't hit on three at those positions. If they don't develop, they'll just portal out. I guess it remains to be seen if Auburn will benefit from an unaccounted scholarship.

Y’all are just elaborating on the mehness. We’re on the same page.

55 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Looks like we offered in 2021 and he was an aggy commit at some point before committing to Oregon. He had offers from others around us like LSU and OU. So seems like a take that will not help this year but could develop or portal again.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

I thought the Cali Corner put us at 83. Is that not right? Cards on the table, I don't always math well.  

I'm just going off of what Bobby says here (timestamped for convenience):

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Looks like we offered in 2021 and he was an aggy commit at some point before committing to Oregon. He had offers from others around us like LSU and OU. So seems like a take that will not help this year but could develop or portal again.

That was an offer that got uncommitable by the time he wanted to commit to someone. 

It's a lottery ticket at a need position, we have the schollies, whatever.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk