Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

The temperature of your bedroom can make a significant difference to your sleep quality. The best room temperature for sleep is approximately 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18.3 degrees Celsius). This may vary by a few degrees from person to person, but most doctors recommend keeping the thermostat set between 60 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit (15.6 to 20 degrees Celsius) for the most comfortable sleep.

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/bedroom-environment/best-temperature-for-sleep

What about with wind chill?

3 hours ago, troph said:

Not risk of death cold, come on man. I’m talking 67-69 degrees. 

Edit - bolverk gave the cites for it. Thanks.

Understood, just don't like it that cold. I am also not an idiot out running at 104. Have done that as well and being a heat casualty sucks. 

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Understood, just don't like it that cold. I am also not an idiot out running at 104. Have done that as well and being a heat casualty sucks. 

People that walk their dogs out in this should have their faces smashed into the ground so they can see how hot it is on their pup's pads.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

People that walk their dogs out in this should have their faces smashed into the ground so they can see how hot it is on their pup's pads.

Not to mention heat stroke is not recoverable for dogs. Our local vet has fb messages nearly every day saying “I saw x dogs today with heat stroke and y of them didn’t make it.”
  • Rage+1 2

Worked with a K-9 EOD team in Afghanistan. Handlers insisted we go out real early, like 4AM and get the pups back to the house by noon. I got in trouble for bringing them into the team house during the hottest part of the day. Had them in the one room we kept cold and they were just kicking it on the couch with me. Boss was not a dog person, think he liked parakeets, and was pissed I had them in there. Said something about company paid furniture and such. 

Told the boss he could kiss my ass, it is 110 and these pups are keeping us safe. Dogs stayed on the couch while I watched cricket. 

• Hook 'Em 8

Meant to get out for my bike ride earlier this morning, but got sidetracked by stupid shit and didnt get out until like 11:30. Rode for an hour and I swear it took me that long to recover when I got back to my house. For the first 30 minutes I just lay on the floor under a ceiling fan, lulz. I think that might be it for my noon bike rides for a while. Its fucking hot out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The low of 79° at Camp Mabry tied a record warm low first set in 2011.

Clouds were quickly clearing during the 9 to 11 a.m. time frame.

Most highs today will peak between 103° and 107°. Camp Mabry reached 107° Friday afternoon, 11° above normal and within 1° of tying a record. Today’s record high is 108° set in 1925. The wind will come out of the south increasing to 10 to 15 mph.

----

From KXAN

Going to DC tomorrow. 91/70, 90/72 and 89/70. That’s not cool or anything but a welcome respite from houston. 
was at splashtown today and it was packed and also Hot AF. 

ca11a78a36cd12398f5466dcfd8f170a.gif

I’m on my way there now. Edited by Hate
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Dude, the sky turns off green in the summer. All that crap coming off the highways just sits. 98 degrees, high humidity and no wind flow. 

98 degrees? DC is almost never that hot. It's 87 there right now. Meanwhile it's 105 in Austin. 

Houston is worse than DC. It's not even close. Same principle except it's 10 degrees hotter. This is a bunch of cities listed by how often the heat index got above 95, 105 and 115 over a 30 year period ('78 to '07).

Screenshot_20230715_171534_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1e818bc968bcfc443c7f1a6572630190.jpg

Screenshot_20230715_171550_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e710e657679f80ba3f465c4dd674c9bf.jpg

The only cities that compare to Houston are NOLA and Phoenix.

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

98 degrees? DC is almost never that hot. It's 87 there right now. Meanwhile it's 105 in Austin. 

Houston is worse than DC. It's not even close. Same principle except it's 10 degrees hotter. This is a bunch of cities listed by how often the heat index got above 95, 105 and 115 over a 30 year period ('78 to '07).

Screenshot_20230715_171534_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1e818bc968bcfc443c7f1a6572630190.jpg

Screenshot_20230715_171550_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e710e657679f80ba3f465c4dd674c9bf.jpg

Having lived in both, disagree as a practical matter. DC is on a swamp. You try cramming on the red line and walking from Union Station to the Hill in a suit when it’s 93 degrees. NYC arguably almost as bad too. 

Edited by We’reTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Tell me you don't know DC. Yes it will hit 98. 

12 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Having lived in both, disagree as a practical matter. DC is on a swamp. You try cramming on the red line and walking from Union State to the Hill in a suit when it’s 93 degrees. NYC arguably almost as bad too. 

You're referring to time spent walking around or on the subway. Which you do more of in DC and NY. I'm talking about how hot it actually is. 

Go walk around Houston between bus stops in a suit and tell me how it goes. Last time I was in HOU in the summer for a few days did a good bit of walking around as I didn't have a car. The heat was ludicrously oppressive. To where I wondered why the fuck anyone would live there. 

I don't disagree that as a lived experience DC might be more miserable. I'm just referring to how quickly you want to kill yourself sitting outside in direct sunlight.

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Tell me you don't know DC. Yes it will hit 98. 

?

You can look this stuff up. It hit 98 one time in DC last year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

You're referring to time spent walking around or on the subway. Which you do more of in DC and NY. I'm talking about how hot it actually is. 

Go walk around Houston between bus stops in a suit and tell me how it goes. Last time I was in HOU in the summer for a few days did a good bit of walking around as I didn't have a car. The heat was ludicrously oppressive. To where I wondered why the fuck anyone would live there. 

I don't disagree that as a lived experience DC might be more miserable. I'm just referring to how quickly you want to kill yourself sitting outside in direct sunlight.

?

You can look this stuff up. It hit 98 one time in DC last year. 

Last year. Yeah, I never lived there.

Crystal City metro would microwave your ass. 

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Crystal City metro would microwave your ass. 

Are you even reading what I'm writing? I already addressed this. I don't care how hot you think DC is - Houston is empirically much hotter and you will feel it if you're doing the same activities in the same environs.

The subway is a man-made environment. I can get in a 150 degree sauna in Norway - that doesn't mean Norway is hotter than Jacksonville, Florida in August. 

If you would rather walk 20 city blocks in Houston on an average day in July than DC or NYC you're out of your fucking mind. And I've spent time in all 3 of those cities during summer months. 

Also Houston is at a much lower latitude and the sun will fry you to a greater degree. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I literally referred to “as a practical matter”, the lived experience. Of course Houston is objectively worse but you are insulated from the heat except for the spare moments when you exit your home to your SUV to your frigid office. On that note, I realized I’d lived in CA too long when I thought it was a good idea to walk 2 miles through Montrose one day last summer. JFC. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

I literally referred to “as a practical matter”, the lived experience. Of course Houston is objectively worse but you are insulated from the heat except for the spare moments when you exit your home to your SUV to your frigid office. On that note, I realized I’d lived in CA too long when I thought it was a good idea to walk 2 miles through Montrose one day last summer. JFC. 

We're on the same page. Didn't mean to come across cunty or anything. 

Guess I didn't know what you meant by "as a practical matter".

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Went fishing at Camp Mabry this morning. Pond was a good foot and a half lower than it was two weeks ago. If we don't get some rain, the fish will be concentrated in about a 50 square foot area by the end of the summer. 

Makes it easy to find the honey hole!
  • Like 1