Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

56 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How the fuck are you two still alive eating like that?  I just assumed that type of diet will kill me off pretty early. 

or you have had enough and are helping the clot along while enjoying delicious food. 

Splurging once or twice a week don’t make a shit to me. 
We eat a lot of salads in between.

edited to add…. We get two meals out of all that with the leftovers.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Most people there have swamp cooler AC. Not nearly as big an energy draw. Doesn’t work for shit when it’s hot and humid though - they had a stretch of that a couple of years ago, and it was brutal (we have family in Tucson).

No they don't. Lived in PHX for nearly 20 years and almost no one has a swamp cooler anymore. The only people that have swamp coolers live in super old houses and/or are poor. Even my first house in PHX, which was old by AZ standards, built in 1955 didn't have a swamp cooler.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, royiv said:

No they don't. Lived in PHX for nearly 20 years and almost no one has a swamp cooler anymore. The only people that have swamp coolers live in super old houses and/or are poor. Even my first house in PHX, which was old by AZ standards, built in 1955 didn't have a swamp cooler.

What's a swamp cooler Walter?

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Almost midnight, and going outside is like getting hit in the face by a hot wet fart. NWS current conditions shows heat index is 98 F.

Just finished drinking a beer and watering my garden. This ain't Afghanistan and you are not wearing armor. Go get some water, get a cold beer and get used to it. Sit in the hammock and listen to the cicadas. 

And forecasts say for Central Texas it is only going to get worse over the next few. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Just finished drinking a beer and watering my garden. This ain't Afghanistan and you are not wearing armor. Go get some water, get a cold beer and get used to it. Sit in the hammock and listen to the cicadas. 

And forecasts say for Central Texas it is only going to get worse over the next few. 

You're right.  This is America.  I have the right to bitch about the got damn heat.

• Haha 1

What's it called when external factors influence the price of something like foodstuffs?  Like say extreme heat, mixed with draught, in some crop growing regions or animal grazing lands drive up costs for farmers/ranchers, and they in turn pass those cost increases to us in the form of higher wholesale/retail prices?  Isn't there a word for that?  Starts with an "i", if I recall correctly.  It's something totally bad.  

23 hours ago, royiv said:

We had a swamp cooler in our first house in 1993 on S 1st right across from TX School for the Deaf. It was marginally effective in cooling us down but very persuasive in making my visiting in laws book a cool hotel rather than crashing with us. A net win.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

We had a swamp cooler in our first house in 1993 on S 1st right across from TX School for the Deaf. It was marginally effective in cooling us down but very persuasive in making my visiting in laws book a cool hotel rather than crashing with us. A net win.

I grew up with a swamp cooler in West Texas until around high school. It's obviously a drier climate than Austin, but we'd still have hot humid summer days sometimes. I vividly recall the walls feeling a little sticky when it was like that. One of my chores sometimes would be to climb on the roof of the house with a garden hose and water the damn thing.

5 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i don't care what stats you have to fucking juke, nothing was longer or hotter than that 2011 summer. good sweet christ. the fucking state nearly burned down.

Yup. It got ugly in May and just kept on. It's 2011 and everyone else playing for 2nd.

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn’t check the app earlier when I was driving but had to take some family to South Texas and when I was driving through Alice there was one of those bank signs that said it was 109. How accurate are those things because god damn it was brutal. Ready to be back in LA Saturday

3 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Didn’t check the app earlier when I was driving but had to take some family to South Texas and when I was driving through Alice there was one of those bank signs that said it was 109. How accurate are those things because god damn it was brutal. Ready to be back in LA Saturday

If they are near pavement, they aren't very accurate.

We hit 100 degrees for the 20th time this year.  Yay!

10 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Made the hot tub a blast furnace. Low of 50 last night

The women rated 11 out of 10 out of frame. 

image.thumb.png.f8eab50faba3c3dd74b4a88a96ca9976.png

I mean you were warned.

On 7/10/2023 at 7:08 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Ill take 107 in austin everyday before I take 99 in Houston. That shit is a cakewalk compared to 85% humidity

It's science