Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

15 hours ago, troph said:

Not being able to go out until after dark is a real issue it’s crazy causing. 

For me it’s not being able to ever have a breath that’s not humid, even at 10:30 at night or 6:30 in the morning. It’s unrelenting. It brings on seasonal depression in me by the time it’s august.  I don’t mean that in a clinical sense I mean that in an ‘ grumpy and bummed sense. Inverse of people in the north during winter time.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Escaped to Pittsburgh for a couple of days. The weather is great but I’m breathing Canadian wildfire smoke. Seems we may have a climate issue. 

I went to Texags to confirm.  Turns out it’s just a big hoax.  Nothing to see here.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It might also have something to do with nobody being able to live in Galveston anymore for a while and then the whole spindletop thing. 

Spindletop was in 1901. Galveston hurricane was 1900

Houston population graph 

image.png.f4b0b1408605a906ef6463dd6b4bc626.png

guess when air conditioning became widely available 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Escaped to Pittsburgh for a couple of days. The weather is great but I’m breathing Canadian wildfire smoke. Seems we may have a climate issue. 

Going to Chicago on Friday for a couple days. It’s been bad there this week but hopefully will dissipate with some expected rain today. 

6 minutes ago, Okie State said:

So it's obviously still fucking awful outside, but I will say it is noticeably less awful when I leave the office for lunch than it was a few days ago. So we've got that going for us. Which is nice.

Its A Trap GIF

I prefer the extreme temperatures that we’ve had the last couple of weeks to the warm soup we have in Houston this morning. At 6am, it’s 80 degrees with 90% humidity, 72° dew point and 90° heat index. Ugh. 

Have you been out of town? That’s, uh, what it’s been every morning for weeks. Really the only change in Houston as the heat wave subsides has been not quite as hot at the peak. 80 degree lows as far as the eye can see on the forecast.

On 6/28/2023 at 11:38 AM, rage-a-holic said:

Yep. We were in Cozumel last week during the heat wave....the airbnb we were in had 2 old a/c's the probably work fine November - April, but couldn't keep any room below 82 in the summer. Had to fight with the owner and submit a claim to Airbnb to cancel; the owner acted like 82 is a great sleeping temperature.

• Haha 1

36 more hours of suck and then a small bit of relief for Houston area.

Finally getting some cloud cover. High on Sunday is only 96 and then not a single high over 95 next week. Pretty decent rain chances starting mid-week through Saturday.

Central Texas gonna keep baking, but temps at least look to stay mostly in double digits next week. Looks like y'all getting hosed on precipitation though.

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

36 more hours of suck and then a small bit of relief for Houston area.

Finally getting some cloud cover. High on Sunday is only 96 and then not a single high over 95 next week. Pretty decent rain chances starting mid-week through Saturday.

Central Texas gonna keep baking, but temps at least look to stay mostly in double digits next week. Looks like y'all getting hosed on precipitation though.

I hope you are right, for my family and friends in the area; but I really don't count on the forecast more than 2-3 days out. Unless there is a big system coming up from the Gulf, or off the plains, I'm thinking those changes are wishful thinking and people want to believe.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/29/2023 at 4:32 AM, South Austin said:

Going to Chicago on Friday for a couple days. It’s been bad there this week but hopefully will dissipate with some expected rain today. 

It was way better today vs earlier in the week. Headed back hell today

Edited by Zepol87

Lol. I see the cooling they've shown for next week is now creeping back higher.

A few days ago they were showing 95-96 for July 4th, now it's up to 99 with some showing 100.

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

It was way better today vs earlier in the week. Headed back hell today

Yeah, it’s not so bad right now. It’s warmer and muggier here than I thought it would be, but a shit ton better than Austin right now, so I’ll enjoy my brief vacation from hell.

• Hook 'Em 1

Its probably because it felt like we were residing in Satan's asshole the last couple of weeks, but I was just out and caught myself thinking, it doesnt feel too bad out this evening. A pretty stiff breeze moving the air makes all the difference. 

50 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

At 645 this morning it was very pleasant. At 7:30 we already entered soup mode.  I’m going to load up on beer and drink myself unconscious indoors today.

As opposed to…? I assume that’s the usual Saturday plan 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Otisburg is a fictional town from the movie Superman

The premise is that when Lex Luther nukes the fault lines, there will be new coastline property. His sidekick proposes one small town could be Otisburg.

Ahhh shit! Thanks man. I need to rewatch that classic.

Took the dogs for a walk around 7:45 this morning. Actually not an awful morning by Houston standards. Was overcast and a slight breeze. Made it a good 10 minutes in before I did any sweating, which is about 9 minutes and 30 seconds longer than usual lately.

High only supposed to reach 94 and may actually catch a passing shower coming up from the coast this afternoon.