Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I first heard of heat index at basic training 30 years ago at Ft Jackson in May. It was announced every hour when we were out training. Once it hit a certain mark we went inside for classroom training.

Being a dumbshit/young Texan I scoffed, "if it's hawt it's hawt".  Didn't listen to anything about it. 

Next thing I know I wake up in the infirmary with a giant needle in my ankle. I had collapsed from heat exhaustion and dehydration. No heat stroke tho.

Had to wear a white arm band of shame for a week and drink two canteens of water at every morning formation. 

Same here, only at Ft Sill in June.  They had a couple of levels for us (levels of hell in Oklahoma or something), and yeah, at different marks when we were outside, it would dictate what we would do - "drink X amount of water every hour" "wear this for the day" etc.  Some days when it was extremely hot, it was PT gear and stay in the shade or inside for classroom training after 11am, etc.  Being out of Texas, I handled it fairly well, but I saw a whole lot of people collapsing and getting IVs. 

I remember when it got to over around 95 or 100 and we had to be outside, if the heat index was up, they had somebody whose sole task was running a stopwatch and informing the instructors every 15 minutes and we would drink a full canteen, and even with that, we were soaking wet with sweat if we were in BDUs, and people were still struggling and collapsing. Guys from up north really struggled., hell it was a wonder nobody died.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

I'm going to call BS on the heat index. Not that it doesn't feel hotter with higher humidity, but the entire "it's 100 degrees, but we're going to say it feels like 118 degrees." 

But is that 118 degrees with zero humidity? 118 degrees at 50% humidity? It just seems weird to say it's one temperature, but it feels like another temperature.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm going to call BS on the heat index. Not that it doesn't feel hotter with higher humidity, but the entire "it's 100 degrees, but we're going to say it feels like 118 degrees." 

But is that 118 degrees with zero humidity? 118 degrees at 50% humidity? It just seems weird to say it's one temperature, but it feels like another temperature.

There's an actual formula.  With science and stuff.  They aren't just making it up.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Final week of June looking downright apocalyptic. Supposed to hit 111 in Midland Sunday and Monday. Austin with 6 days at 105 or 106 starting Monday. 

At least there appears to be something resembling an end in sight. Forecast for first week of July is pretty standard "mid 90's but maybe some rain" vs. "might as well be in Phoenix"

4 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Final week of June looking downright apocalyptic. Supposed to hit 111 in Midland Sunday and Monday. Austin with 6 days at 105 or 106 starting Monday. 

At least there appears to be something resembling an end in sight. Forecast for first week of July is pretty standard "mid 90's but maybe some rain" vs. "might as well be in Phoenix  on Venus"

fuck everything.

• Hook 'Em 2

Austin forecast has "improved" a little in the past 48 hours. As of Friday, was looking at 6 straight days of 105+. Now just 2 days at 104 on Tuesday and Wednesday, then 102 or less thru Sunday. 

Pretty weird to be excited to see 6 straight days (7/4-9) of "High of 95, but 50% chance of scattered storms" on the long range forecast for Houston. Just gotta tough it out until next Monday. July might actually be closer to a normal uncomfortable summer than this hellish June has been. 

I’d been putting off yard work for the past couple weeks during this heat wave. As the high today (Houston) is supposed to fall back under 100, bit the bullet and got out there for a couple hours this morning. The heat index was well into the 90’s at 8am. Dew point of like 76 so humid as hell, but at least it’s too warm for that to provide condensation on grass. Took the dog for a quick lap afterwards as I skipped the usual walk to get an early start. Noticed I’d basically stopped sweating by the end of the walk so I’m glad I started when I did. Couple hours later and I’d have had to stop due to overheating/dehydration.

I think the disgusting mornings may be the worst part about summer here in general, and especially so when it’s this extreme. It just sucks the life out of you at the very start of the day.

• Rage+1 2

I've always said that the worst part of Houston summers isn't really the high temps during the middle of the day. I mean, most of us are sitting in offices where they keep the AC blasting. It's that you never really get any relief in the mornings or evenings, unlike places with less constant humidity. Towns that aren't located in coastal swamps actually have noticeable differences between night and day. 

Get home at 6:00 and it's 99 degrees. Go outside around sunset at 8:30 and it's still usually around 91 and will feel like 104. Get up early at 5:30 or something and even if it's only 80 degrees, it will feel like it's in the 90's. 

Tomorrow morning at 7 am, it will be 79 in Austin and feel like 84. In Houston, it will be 82, but feel like 92.

At some point in my life, I'm just no longer willing to spend my summers here. Hopefully before I get old, I'm able to pack up from Memorial Day-Labor Day for somewhere with a max temp of 90 during the day and then at least down to the low 60's in the morning and evenings. And mountains, or at least hills. Been thinking more and more seriously about getting a short-term rental and spending a week or two working at my firm's Denver office sometime later this summer. Kinda want to see how that goes and maybe make it an annual thing if it works out. 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Stay indoors and stay hydrated peeps.

Yep.  If we want a lesson in that:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/25/us/big-bend-national-park-deaths/index.html

Two people died Friday after hiking in extreme heat at Big Bend National Park in southwest Texas, the National Park Service said in a news release. A stepfather and his two stepsons from Florida were hiking the Marufo Vega Trail when temperatures were at 119 degrees, according to the news release.

“The Marufo Vega Trail winds through extremely rugged desert and rocky cliffs within the hottest part of Big Bend National Park. No shade or water makes this strenuous trail dangerous to attempt in the heat of summer. Big Bend is currently experiencing extreme heat with daily highs reaching 110-119 (degrees) at low elevations and along the Rio Grande,” according to the park service.

During the hike, “the youngest, age 14, fell ill along the trail and lost consciousness,” park service officials said. The 31-year-old stepfather then left the scene to hike back to their vehicle to find help, while the other brother, 21, tried to carry his brother back to the trailhead, according to the release.

The Big Bend National Park’s Communications Center received a call requesting emergency assistance at about 6 p.m., the park service said. “Park Rangers and US Border Patrol Agents reached the scene at approximately 7:30 p.m. and located the young victim deceased along the trail,” officials said.

Authorities then began looking for the stepfather. At about 8 p.m. they found his vehicle, which had crashed over an embankment at the Boquillas Overlook, the news release said. The 31-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash. No further details were provided about the 21-year-old or his condition.

The incident remains under investigation, officials said.

I saw something that said the stepfather made it to the vehicle, but was messed up from the heat and crashed it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not going to complain on days like today. I'm from here. I've lived here my entire life. Upper 90s with 107ish heat index - yeah - that's hot when July is right around the corner. Get some cloud cover or shade though and it's passable. 

When the heat index is fucking 118 halfway through June? Yes - you can bet your ass I and the rest of us sane people are going to bitch about it.

Just like if it's October and it's still 97 I'm going to complain. There's a set of standards and expectations. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep.  If we want a lesson in that:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/25/us/big-bend-national-park-deaths/index.html

I saw something that said the stepfather made it to the vehicle, but was messed up from the heat and crashed it.

That trail is one of Big Bend's most difficult and people do unfortunately die on it every once in a while (typically in the summer months). It is a 14-mile loop on the desert floor where the only time you encounter shade is during very steep ascent/descent of canyon walls.

Hiked it in the first week of January 2020 and encountered other humans maybe three times while being out from maybe an hour after sunrise to racing the sunset to get back to the trailhead. It was a clear day and the high was in the low 70's - with the intensity of the sun out there that's plenty warm enough to be sweating quite a bit especially on the climb and at the heat of the day. It was an incredible hike but absolutely the hardest hike I've ever done even in favorable conditions. Significantly more difficult than the South Rim loop, IMO, for reference.

It is not hyperbole to to call attempting that trail in 110+ degree temperatures a suicide mission, certainly for anyone unprepared in terms of fitness or heat acclimation. It is a tragedy but the step father was extremely negligent in making that call.

7 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

A lot of wieners on here that call themselves Native Texans complaining about the heat.     Lol.   

Are you 12 years old?

I was outside building a tree house for my so. For his birthday all day yesterday and all afternoon today. 
hard to describe exactly how miserable it was. My goodness. 
It’s funny, when we went in our rv trip I did so much hiking. It was 95 in North Dakota with zero humidity. It was fine.  No problem. It really is the humidity and the fact that it never takes a break for 4 months. 
lots of complaints about the weather this year and late June has been miserable but April and May were outstanding. And November will be here before you know it to cool things down to low 90’s heat index. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Went fishing from 5:30-8:00 this afternoon. Hot as balls. But, I was in the river, so it kept my temp manageable. That said, when I got out, I downed 2 Body Armors and a bottle of water right away, was thirsty as hell. And my car thermometer said it was still 103. Fuck. Still, it was nice being on/in the water.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/22/2023 at 9:17 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

i've lived in houston or austin pretty much my whole life.  100° and humid feels like 100° to me because i've never felt 100° and dry. 

8 hours ago, gmr548 said:

That trail is one of Big Bend's most difficult and people do unfortunately die on it every once in a while (typically in the summer months). It is a 14-mile loop on the desert floor where the only time you encounter shade is during very steep ascent/descent of canyon walls.

Hiked it in the first week of January 2020 and encountered other humans maybe three times while being out from maybe an hour after sunrise to racing the sunset to get back to the trailhead. It was a clear day and the high was in the low 70's - with the intensity of the sun out there that's plenty warm enough to be sweating quite a bit especially on the climb and at the heat of the day. It was an incredible hike but absolutely the hardest hike I've ever done even in favorable conditions. Significantly more difficult than the South Rim loop, IMO, for reference.

It is not hyperbole to to call attempting that trail in 110+ degree temperatures a suicide mission, certainly for anyone unprepared in terms of fitness or heat acclimation. It is a tragedy but the step father was extremely negligent in making that call.

Are you 12 years old?

Actually 51 and recall heat waves of the past which came with severe droughts too.   It’s been hot, but we haven’t been breaking records across the state almost daily or getting close to those records like we did during some of those heat waves.  

7 hours ago, elfenix said:

i've lived in houston or austin pretty much my whole life.  100° and humid feels like 100° to me because i've never felt 100° and dry. 

100 degrees with no humidity isn’t exactly pleasant, but it’s not intolerable either. When we were at big bend last year and it was only 100 outside, as opposed to 120 at the height of the deal, I had my chair outside in the shade under the tree drinking beer and water and it was fine. Let’s just say I would not ever do that in houston.  Shade is no relief. It’s all miserable. 
now/ when it’s dry about 103-105 is the temp where it just doesn’t matter it’s miserable as hell and you feel like you stuck your head in an oven. 

Fun fact, in about an hour or two -- if not already -- Texas will be the hottest place on the entire planet at that moment. We are hotter than fucking Phoenix.

We are all idiots for living here.