Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

Those precip charts are also similar to at least the day before (didn't check on Saturday), so that should further check out that we could get something.

Of course, wetter than average for July isn't saying much.

13 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Those precip charts are also similar to at least the day before (didn't check on Saturday), so that should further check out that we could get something.

Of course, wetter than average for July isn't saying much.

Yep.  2/0 is shows up as undefined on my Ti84.  

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Dallas might take a close run to 110 Wednesday.

Yep.  Kids soccer practices are all cancelled for the week.  Had a few games over the weekend (friendlies) and a kid puked on the field both games.  One team didn't even have a tent/awning to keep the kids on the sideline out of the damn sun.  

We hosted last year players from Denmark.  Can't imagine anyone from Europe doing anything outside in this hotbox.  It was April and they had buckets on the sidelines with water and big sponges to keep them cool when they came off the field.  

2 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Conveniently left this out. 

image.thumb.gif.69c3ab4d244c882e45f3fdba18f1c434.gif

Hell, being in the burnt orange instead of the red/brown only proves my case that there's a change coming!

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Fun fact, in about an hour or two -- if not already -- Texas will be the hottest place on the entire planet at that moment. We are hotter than fucking Phoenix.

We are all idiots for living here. 

That's actually kind of cool.

Get it?  Cool!  Haha!!

69afc74555725227da680a4f81e56dad.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

51 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  Kids soccer practices are all cancelled for the week.  Had a few games over the weekend (friendlies) and a kid puked on the field both games.  One team didn't even have a tent/awning to keep the kids on the sideline out of the damn sun.  

We hosted last year players from Denmark.  Can't imagine anyone from Europe doing anything outside in this hotbox.  It was April and they had buckets on the sidelines with water and big sponges to keep them cool when they came off the field.  

Yeah, you probably know this, but people from outside of the south aren't used to this.  Californians think 90 is too hot.  

Going to the Rangers game on Wednesday evening. Never have I been more thankful for the air conditioned new stadium when it will be over 100 degrees at first pitch. I was just in Chicago about a week ago and people needed blankets for a night game because it was 58 at first pitch. 

Edited by mdmost

26 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yeah, you probably know this, but people from outside of the south aren't used to this.  Californians think 90 is too hot.  

At the 2005 Scout Jamboree the Yankees were dropping like flies.  All the Louisiana kids were drinking Gatorade like they were dromedary camels.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just a friendly reminder that 95 degrees at 100% humidity and 109 degrees at 50% humidity is considered unlivable for a human being. This being where they are no longer able to regulate their body temperature. Maybe we have a shot on Wednesday.

The conditions that can lead to a wet-bulb temperature of 95 °F vary greatly. With no wind and sunny skies, an area with 50% humidity will hit an unlivable wet-bulb temperature at around 109 °F, while in mostly dry air, temperatures would have to top 130 °F to reach that limit.

https://www.livescience.com/hottest-temperature-people-can-tolerate.html

Edited by UTGrad98
numbers

1 minute ago, UTGrad98 said:

Just a friendly reminder that 95 degrees at 100% humidity and 115 degrees at 50% humidity is considered unlivable for a human being. This being where they are no longer able to regulate their body temperature. Maybe we have a shot on Wednesday.

https://www.livescience.com/hottest-temperature-people-can-tolerate.html

Cue someone coming in here telling a story about how one day in Navasota in the 40s it was 112 with 80% humidity and they still went to church in a three piece suit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I tried to get the wife to go to Colorado this morning. Even told her she could fly up there and I’d get pick her up in the car after driving up there with the kids. We could come back after July 4th. She asked me why and I said because the heat index is 129 on Wednesday and we should escape this insufferable state right now during what I hope will be the worst of it. She looked at me blankly like she couldn’t comprehend someone wanting to leave to escape the heat and said that’s what splashtown is for. She ain’t worried about no blast furnace. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Did a little experiment today…..
Since it was open, I took the wife to HEB on 620 just west of Round Rock to pick up a handful of items this afternoon. 
She went in at 4::19.
I stayed out in the car with the windshield shades in place while the motor was running & the A/C blowing at about 60% until 4:25. 
Turned the engine off and left the windows rolled up to see how long it would take to bring the sweat & discomfort.
She came out at 4:35 and I wasn’t overheating at all. Yes, it was getting warm, but not sweaty hot yet.
I figured in another five minutes the perspiration would be flowing and in another five I’d have to bail out. 
Easy to see how a few kids & lots of dogs die every year in Texas during the summer months because of careless parents.

7D7E580D-3F10-4478-ACD3-7B2147411111.jpeg

59B5523C-5383-42F8-AA55-5780D7A52D05.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I tried to get the wife to go to Colorado this morning. Even told her she could fly up there and I’d get pick her up in the car after driving up there with the kids. We could come back after July 4th. She asked me why and I said because the heat index is 129 on Wednesday and we should escape this insufferable state right now during what I hope will be the worst of it. She looked at me blankly like she couldn’t comprehend someone wanting to leave to escape the heat and said that’s what splashtown is for. She ain’t worried about no blast furnace. 

Swimming in 90 degree water that is full of piss. Sounds refreshing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 2

On 6/25/2023 at 11:15 AM, closetohumping said:

Stay indoors and stay hydrated peeps.

Yeah buddy...last year was the first time I've noticed the heat giving me problems, and this year has turned into a "fuck it". 30 minutes outside doing chores hits me like a sledgehammer.  Hence the "fuckit". I love working in the yard, keeping everything looking great. This year...fuckit.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Silliness. There is almost nothing better in the world than this after leaving Houston in June/July.IMG_3516.thumb.jpeg.49c08d84e1692444025e6268f11760eb.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 3

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Let's not get too excited, but these are nice to see:

image.png.5e545af5caad190bb61fb342a2226e06.png

image.png.269e858044862fb0ae978e04332f9598.png

image.thumb.png.25dec3b3728b863a8947e1ace3cccde5.png

My favorite part is the 6-10 day map showing above average rain, and then the 10 day forecast showing the possibility of .16" in 9 days, and we all know that will disappear like a fart in the wind

Edited by Blotto
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Blotto said:

My favorite part is the 6-10 day map showing above average rain, and then the 10 day forecast showing the possibility of .16" in 9 days, and we all know that will disappear like a fart in the wind

The force field around Austin laughs at that fart in the wind. 

34 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Silliness. There is almost nothing better in the world than this after leaving Houston in June/July.IMG_3516.thumb.jpeg.49c08d84e1692444025e6268f11760eb.jpeg

We roll out on Thursday morning. Never wanted to get out of Texas more. Sweet Jesus. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Whomever doesnt believe in climate change is a fucking moron

my kids are screwed. I see a great northern migration coming over the next 20-30 years

Great Lakes will make a monster comeback imo.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

At least it's not literally a blast furnace.  Yet.

Spent a few years watching construction in Dubai, Sharjah and Ajman. Death traps. The outside in a lot of building was painting in a paint to reflect the sun. It is flammable. 

I hope I never have to go back to the UAE. 

• Hook 'Em 1