Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Was out at Lake Austin this past weekend... needed to go from the boat slip (not humblebragging, its not my slip) to my car and decided to do it barefoot... #badideajeans 

I was hopscotching from one shady patch to another to avoid the scalding asphalt.  It was absurd.  

Everybody remember this for dog walking time.

I have a good view of the street from my home office, so I see fucktards walking their dogs on the pavement at 4 pm.

I saw one dog get to the grass and sit down. Owner kept trying to pull the dog along but the dog said fuck that noise.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

43 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Everybody remember this for dog walking time.

I have a good view of the street from my home office, so I see fucktards walking their dogs on the pavement at 4 pm.

I saw one dog get to the grass and sit down. Owner kept trying to pull the dog along but the dog said fuck that noise.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that most people shouldn't have dogs because they are so fuckin' dumb with them. 

I've got a catty-corner neighbor down the hill that likes to leave his white lab/golden mix puppy outside in this shit. Even makes him eat/drink outside. Poor bud barks all morning because he's panting, hot, and pissed off and just wants to go inside. Pisses me off to no end. 

Fuck humans.

• Rage+1 5

Some of you guys need to fork out the $60 or so for AAA. 

I’m actually thinking about it nowadays

Wife picked me up from the airport the other day and mentioned she needed gas. Had her check the range left and it was 7 miles. Pulled into the closest gas station after that. I would have been pissed to fly back into this hellscape and have to walk to get gas or something

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/27/weather/texas-heat-wave-nighttime-temperatures-climate/index.html

A brutal heat wave is expanding across Texas and the South this week, impacting millions of Americans with triple-digit temperatures and extreme humidity that is cranking up the heat index, making it feel hotter than 110 degrees in some of the region’s most populous cities. 

But forecasters are warning that there is a more dangerous aspect to this heat wave, and one that is becoming more common because of the climate crisis: overnight temperatures are not cooling down enough, offering little reprieve from the oppressive heat — particularly for people who don’t have access to air conditioning. 

The National Weather Service highlighted the insidious nature of this week’s heat wave in a statement on Monday, when forecasters at the Weather Prediction Center noted “there may be more danger than a typical heat event, due to the longevity of near-record or record high nighttime lows and elevated heat index readings.”

Overnight temperature records are expected to far outpace daytime records this week. Around 90 afternoon high-temperature records could be broken across the South, from Texas to the Mississippi Valley and parts of Florida, according to data from the National Weather Service. 

But overnight temperatures will also stay abnormally high, with potentially 180 nighttime records broken over the next seven days. 

Hotter nights are a consequence of the climate crisis, scientists have warned. On average, nights are warming faster than days in most of the US, according to the 2018 National Climate Assessment.

“We think it’s because as the days grow warmer, there is more moisture in the air that traps the heat,” Lisa Patel, the executive director of the Medical Society Consortium on Climate and Health, told CNN. “During the day, that moisture reflects the heat, but at night, it traps the heat in.” 

Increasing nighttime heat is even more common in cities because of the urban heat island effect, in which metro areas are significantly hotter than their surroundings. 

Dallas, for example, is set to go six consecutive days without seeing temperatures drop below 80 degrees Fahrenheit overnight — a June record for the city. 

Areas with a lot of asphalt, concrete, buildings and freeways absorb more of the sun’s heat than areas with parks, rivers and tree-lined streets. At night, when temperatures are supposed to cool down, the retained heat is released back into the air, said Kristie Ebi, a climate and health expert at the University of Washington. 

Areas with a lot of green space – with grass and trees that reflect sunlight and create shade – are cooler on summer’s hottest days.

——-

Houston has had nine days far this month that haven’t dropped below 80 degrees — nearly double what’s typical for June. This has only happened two other times in the city’s records.

16 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You guys are far tougher than us Californians.  Heat advisory at 85.   Though the sun is intense as fuck out here.  You wouldn’t believe it

My Brit friend in western England said they were suffering from the 78-80f “heat” wave.

• Hook 'Em 1

And apparently it’s always sunny in Seattle.  So that’s nice. 

43D4FFAF-6A60-4D72-BE52-CE5D0B9958AE.thumb.png.e970cf8930ee53c1240012d508d9a8e2.png

It basically doesn’t rain there from mid June to mid September. Houston gets considerably more rain. It’s the darkness in the winter that gets people - grey skies for weeks on end and short days. Three days at 90 is a bona fide heat wave up there. They average single digit 90 degree data annually.

31 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It basically doesn’t rain there from mid June to mid September. Houston gets considerably more rain. It’s the darkness in the winter that gets people - grey skies for weeks on end and short days. Three days at 90 is a bona fide heat wave up there. They average single digit 90 degree data annually.

There’s no ac in a lot of the buildings.  It’s a big deal ther when it’s 90

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s like 8:45 in the morning? charge your phone 

Wireless didn’t work overnight, woke up to dead phone. 

17 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

My apt doesn’t have ac. But I won’t be there when it’s “hot” during weekdays and it’s only a few days at a time.  

anywho, just mowed the back yard and taking a break before heading to the front.  Last one for a good while. Already  annoyingly warm and sunny outside.  At least half of it is dormant already. 

12 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Taking the kids to Port Aransas this weekend to "escape" the heat. Factoring in the crowded beach body mass and blubber levels, I'm anticipating surfside temps of approximately 127°

My handy travel hydration chart will be put to the test.

pisschart.thumb.jpeg.ad8e1685944dc4acdcfa67b598a2c376.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My apt doesn’t have ac. But I won’t be there when it’s “hot” during weekdays and it’s only a few days at a time.  

anywho, just mowed the back yard and taking a break before heading to the front.  Last one for a good while. Already  annoyingly warm and sunny outside.  At least half of it is dormant already. 

You can also rent a portable. Not the end of the world

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Nothing to see here.  Fake news.  Remember, in the early 70s, some scientists said we might be headed to a new Ice Age!

We’ve never been able to control or influence climate!!1!!1!1 history!!! Ice age!!! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Yep, I almost moved there when my wife was going to grad school.  Had the apartment picked out and the first thing I was going to do was get a window unit.  Fuck not having AC, regardless of the temp.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Buy a portable. You’ll be less than gruntled when it’s 82 in you bedroom at 2 am. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Taking the kids to Port Aransas this weekend to "escape" the heat. Factoring in the crowded beach body mass and blubber levels, I'm anticipating surfside temps of approximately 127°
My handy travel hydration chart will be put to the test.

Hi Tom. Isn’t the beach in Boca Raton nicer and a little closer?

23 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Buy a portable. You’ll be less than gruntled when it’s 82 in you bedroom at 2 am. 

Yep. We were in Cozumel last week during the heat wave....the airbnb we were in had 2 old a/c's the probably work fine November - April, but couldn't keep any room below 82 in the summer. Had to fight with the owner and submit a claim to Airbnb to cancel; the owner acted like 82 is a great sleeping temperature.