Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

21 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Damn. I’m in 78132 (west of NB at 1220’ elev). Residual heat is no joke in the city. 

In San Marcos near the river. Drank lots of water mixed with apple juice during the day. Had a warm tea about 4. Had beer chilled, wrote outside for an hour and watered the gardens. Drank said beer while tending the garden. 

Be in the river by 3 tomorrow if clients will leave me the fuck alone after I brief. 

Also, eat light. That impacts how the body deals with the heat. Berries, Tuna/Chicken, salads, avocados, etc. I see the line at fast food places and I giggle. You gonna do a double AND go work outside? Yeah, enjoy that 44 oz soda. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Current forecast on weather.com saying Houston "only" gonna hit 100 today and 99 tomorrow. Just a few days ago they had us at 102 today and 103 tomorrow, which would have set or tied records. Heat indexes should stay at 110 or less, which is awful, but not as bad as previously thought. Staying in "excessive heat advisory" rather than "excessive heat warning".

• Hook 'Em 1

Just ran over a nail or something and got a hole in my tire.  Pulled into a parking lot to look at it. It was leaking bad. Wife said you should put the spare on. I said nope.  I told her to put her hand on the asphalt and see if she could count to 10 before it got too hot. Put some fix a flat in there and yelled to her and the kids to buckle up, daddy's going to discount tire someway somehow.

Barely made it.  She's not happy but I don't have 3rd degree burns and heat stroke from trying to crawl under my truck and get the tire down and replacing it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Just ran over a nail or something and got a hole in my tire.  Pulled into a parking lot to look at it. It was leaking bad. Wife said you should put the spare on. I said nope.  I told her to put her hand on the asphalt and see if she could count to 10 before it got too hot. Put some fix a flat in there and yelled to her and the kids to buckle up, daddy's going to discount tire someway somehow.

Barely made it.  She's not happy but I don't have 3rd degree burns and heat stroke from trying to crawl under my truck and get the tire down and replacing it.

I replaced my battery in a convenient store parking lot a couple weeks ago at 3:30 in the afternoon. 

That was fun. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I swear to god, I've never had a flat tire at any time OTHER than the brutal heat of summer.

25 years ago, my regular parking spot was in a surface lot downtown.  I leave work one July day, it's around 99 degrees, I'm wearing a suit....and I find one of my tires flat.  Shit.  I take off my jacket, and am starting to take off my shirt, because fuck it, I'm about to get dirty.  One of the local homeless dudes is walking by, sees what's up, and says "hell, I'll change it for you for $10."  DEAL.  Handed him the cash, let him change it for me.

Fuck changing a tire in the heat....which I have done probably a dozen damned times by now.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

In San Marcos near the river. Drank lots of water mixed with apple juice during the day. Had a warm tea about 4. Had beer chilled, wrote outside for an hour and watered the gardens. Drank said beer while tending the garden. 

Be in the river by 3 tomorrow if clients will leave me the fuck alone after I brief. 

Also, eat light. That impacts how the body deals with the heat. Berries, Tuna/Chicken, salads, avocados, etc. I see the line at fast food places and I giggle. You gonna do a double AND go work outside? Yeah, enjoy that 44 oz soda. 

I load early. Get a good burrito for breakfast and I can run until the afternoon. I burn calories in the heat. Sweat like a fiend and pound water. If I get a big lunch I am done for the day. It's usually a late one about the time I am finishing up the day. We start at 530. I don't want my guys out after 4, 5 if they are pushing to finish a project. 

Pound water and watch your ass

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

good, success, celebrating, fist pump, ron swanson, goo, buona – GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I swear to god, I've never had a flat tire at any time OTHER than the brutal heat of summer.

25 years ago, my regular parking spot was in a surface lot downtown.  I leave work one July day, it's around 99 degrees, I'm wearing a suit....and I find one of my tires flat.  Shit.  I take off my jacket, and am starting to take off my shirt, because fuck it, I'm about to get dirty.  One of the local homeless dudes is walking by, sees what's up, and says "hell, I'll change it for you for $10."  DEAL.  Handed him the cash, let him change it for me.

Fuck changing a tire in the heat....which I have done probably a dozen damned times by now.

Yeah, it's funny how it always happens in the summertime. The worst for me was also about 25 years ago about 5-10 miles south of Sterling City on a July afternoon. Hell, I've got a flat on my nicer car right now. Fuck that. I'll drive the banger for the next couple of days.

19 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yeah, it's funny how it always happens in the summertime. The worst for me was also about 25 years ago about 5-10 miles south of Sterling City on a July afternoon. Hell, I've got a flat on my nicer car right now. Fuck that. I'll drive the banger for the next couple of days.

My favorite was the blowout we had on a highway in the middle of ass nowhere outside of Laredo.  I was 9, it was 110 degrees.  Damn right my dad made me help change that tire.  Then we ended up at a tire shop, waiting for a new one....for 2 hours.  No A/C.  No cold drinks.  Mom and I walked half a mile down the road to a convenience store to buy a cold soda, and stand in the A/C.  That was a shitty day.

12 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Chicago is lovely today. Really thinking about accepting my companies relo package to LA but I want to push for Denver. This shit is brutal

LA as in Los Angeles or Louisiana?  If Los Angeles...yes, and more time for AirBnBs in Tijuana.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Meh, changing a tire is changing a tire.  Done it in the heat and freezing rain.  I'll take the heat.  Freezing sleet and rain with frozen fingers and no gloves, getting soaked to the bone, terrified my stock jack is going to sink into the rapidly mudding ground and crush or strand me.  

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Thin ice, buddy.

You said "ice." Stop teasing.

I'm out in West Texas right now at my parents' house (again) trying to get it ready to sell. The two closest Weather Underground stations currently read 109 and 110 degrees respectively.

I'm stuck in this shit too.

Edited by bolverk
  • Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I've been making a charcuterie board everyday for lunch. It works great.

Was out at Lake Austin this past weekend... needed to go from the boat slip (not humblebragging, its not my slip) to my car and decided to do it barefoot... #badideajeans 

I was hopscotching from one shady patch to another to avoid the scalding asphalt.  It was absurd.  

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Meh, changing a tire is changing a tire.  Done it in the heat and freezing rain.  I'll take the heat.  Freezing sleet and rain with frozen fingers and no gloves, getting soaked to the bone, terrified my stock jack is going to sink into the rapidly mudding ground and crush or strand me.  

I highly recommend keeping piece of 2x12 (mine is square) in your vehicle.  Yeah you're carrying around a hunk of lumber but it sure comes in handy when you don't have a good surface for a jack.  I had to use my weathertech floor mat in a pinch one time and it helped but was still dicy in the sand.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Was out at Lake Austin this past weekend... needed to go from the boat slip (not humblebragging, its not my slip) to my car and decided to do it barefoot... #badideajeans 

I was hopscotching from one shady patch to another to avoid the scalding asphalt.  It was absurd.  

Had something similar, except I had my butler carry me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I was at Matagorda beach for a few days this past weekend.  A guy in a Tundra got stuck in the soft sand about  a hundred yards or so from me.  I walked over there barefoot to loan him my shovel.  Big mistake.  The sand burnt the hell out of my feet.  And it was only in the 90s there.

30 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I highly recommend keeping piece of 2x12 (mine is square) in your vehicle.  Yeah you're carrying around a hunk of lumber but it sure comes in handy when you don't have a good surface for a jack.  I had to use my weathertech floor mat in a pinch one time and it helped but was still dicy in the sand.

Carry a pneumatic floor jack now.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

I've been making a charcuterie board everyday for lunch. It works great.

I've got some fried banana peppers you may want to add to that.  

(Lightly fried in olive oil and garlic and canned with the oil)

Nothing better to add to a sandwich, salad, or charcuterie than fried banana or cherry peppers.  

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

giphy.gif

59 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I have several in the bed of the truck (underneath the toolbox) as well as an old army blanket in the toolbox in case of tire change, breakdown in the winter, etc.  It's not rocket surgery, but some people just like to watch their skin burn.  

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Counting the days until my move to Seattle a week from tomorrow. 

climate fueled northern migration is a big reason I feel comfortable buying into the housing market at the prices they are. 

Lived there.   Great place.  I’m not sure how long it will be till the migration but I think it can happen.