Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

My weather on my phone says feels like 118.

Not sure how many times I've ever seen that. At any point during the summer. 

I got this right now for Austin:

• 103F,
  • 42% humidity,
  • heat index 121F

(81F and raining in Dallas right now!)

Edited by yoladu

It takes a strong enough low to make it happen.  Very possibly won't, but a strong enough low will feed off a big high pressure system and become even stronger.  
Typically the only thing that gets rid of the dome is wobbling and weakening itself, or a massive low pressure system...like a hurricane.  

Right, but black holes also exert a gravitational force so strong light can’t escape and suck draw much of the surrounding material in. The implication that the heat dome will act like that and bring a bunch of tropical moisture (liking “good, bring me the rain”) is a bad metaphor. Hurricanes/tropical storms go around strong high pressure domes, not into them. There’s a reason we don’t get a lot of hurricanes in July/early August, because that’s when it’s typical for a high like this to park over the state.

There’s your daily dose of semantics, carry on.

Here’s my weather underground 
IMG_7488.thumb.png.3b6e921bed4fcd758b5d16a8fdf25688.png

100 degrees in Houston (hotter then PHX), 74 degree dew point (similar humidity to MIA), resulting heat index: 115

Bonus: AQI of 84 puts us right there with CDMX (83) for air quality.

Heaven, I tell you.
  • Like 1

I first heard of heat index at basic training 30 years ago at Ft Jackson in May. It was announced every hour when we were out training. Once it hit a certain mark we went inside for classroom training.

Being a dumbshit/young Texan I scoffed, "if it's hawt it's hawt".  Didn't listen to anything about it. 

Next thing I know I wake up in the infirmary with a giant needle in my ankle. I had collapsed from heat exhaustion and dehydration. No heat stroke tho.

Had to wear a white arm band of shame for a week and drink two canteens of water at every morning formation. 

I’m with the previous poster that the weather services are spouting bullshit on the heat index numbers and trying to one up each other. Oh, TWC says it feels like 108?  Well fuck them, we’re going to say it feels like 110. A week from now some clickbait site will post a heat index of 205. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I’m with the previous poster that the weather services are spouting bullshit on the heat index numbers and trying to one up each other. Oh, TWC says it feels like 108?  Well fuck them, we’re going to say it feels like 110. A week from now some clickbait site will post a heat index of 205. 

Heat index is an objective metric comprised of two numbers that are readily available to anyone. Go get a thermometer and hygrometer and find a heat index chart and it will be 115+ at 4 pm.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I first heard of heat index at basic training 30 years ago at Ft Jackson in May. It was announced every hour when we were out training. Once it hit a certain mark we went inside for classroom training.

Being a dumbshit/young Texan I scoffed, "if it's hawt it's hawt".  Didn't listen to anything about it. 

Next thing I know I wake up in the infirmary with a giant needle in my ankle. I had collapsed from heat exhaustion and dehydration. No heat stroke tho.

Had to wear a white arm band of shame for a week and drink two canteens of water at every morning formation. 

Not quite as rough, but at boy Scout summer camp in Mississippi when it was about 96° my senior patrol leader threw up and then passed out at lunch. I realized that talking to them about hydration would not work, so I wound up making them drink a bottle of water before we went to breakfast or dinner - and they had to drink a bottle of water in front of me if they wanted their money to go to the camp scout shop to get ice cream or other junk. 

Fucking SPL got vomit on my hat.   When he recovered I made him wash it - for setting the bad hydration example for the younger guys. Easy for kids to mess up in high heat. 

37 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

How many players does lax have on a side normally?

Up until 4th grade it's usually 7v7, but > they play a full field 10v10 (goalie, 3 defense, 3 mid, 3 attack). But re: today's practice, looks like Thor lightning detector is going off, so my flakiness doesn't count. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t think it’s the weather services trying to one up each other so much as there are so many individual weather stations that it’s easy for someone’s location to be right next to one getting a weird reading for whatever reason

3 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I am ensconced in dry fit.  It's the only way to survive.

We’ve basically (as an office since Covid) gone completely to golf attire as office attire.  Golf shirts, Game Guard shirts and pants.  I’ve even bought the damn no see/barely see dress socks to wear with whatever shoe I’m wearing because regular dress socks aren’t comfortable to wear when it’s summer.  I’m thankful for that.   

• Hook 'Em 1