Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

On 6/16/2023 at 1:51 PM, Telegraph_it said:

Milankovitch cycles are real. 

Space.com claims:

The Milankovitch cycles are the driving force behind ice ages, climate shifts and habitability of planets.

Given that the tilt of Earth’s axis factors into the cycles, a Nature.com report infers humans have at least some effect on climate, in that the pumping of groundwater has tilted the axis as much (as little) as 4.36cm per year. Sure, atmospheric carbon has its role, too. I was just struck by the effects of pumping groundwater. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-01993-z

• Like 1

I spent a glorious week in the mountains of Colorado. Highs was low 60s in the lower elevations, mid 50s where our mountain Airbnb was. Then I spent a great week in Salt Lake City. Highs was upper 60s, low 70s. Now I'm dying in hell heat in Austin. Fuck Texas and the shitastic summers. 

39 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Space.com claims:

The Milankovitch cycles are the driving force behind ice ages, climate shifts and habitability of planets.

Given that the tilt of Earth’s axis factors into the cycles, a Nature.com report infers humans have at least some effect on climate, in that the pumping of groundwater has tilted the axis as much (as little) as 4.36cm per year. Sure, atmospheric carbon has its role, too. I was just struck by the effects of pumping groundwater. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-01993-z

Lol the pumping of groundwater affects the earth's tilt? Gtfo 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Getting tired of the "whatever, it's summer in Texas, it's supposed to be hot"

It's supposed to hit 103 in Houston on Tuesday. The average high for June 20th is 92. Now, I'm no math expert, but that appears to be double digits above normal.

Looks like this extreme streak should finally dissipate from "way hotter than average" to just "hotter than average" by Thursday. Crazy that it'll be a relief to only hit 95.  

We can legally start punching people who say this, right?  As long as it's before July 1st or August 1st, can't remember which.

30 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I may actually be losing my mind.  I can’t sit inside all day.  I need things to do outdoors.  I’m going to try and hit natural bridge caverns soon. And Barton springs.  Other suggestions?

McDonald Observatory.  Alpine.  Or more north and west of there - Cloudcroft.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I may actually be losing my mind.  I can’t sit inside all day.  I need things to do outdoors.  I’m going to try and hit natural bridge caverns soon. And Barton springs.  Other suggestions?

Natural bridge is like 78 degrees but 100% humidity. It literally feels like 92 degrees outside here in houston, down in the caverns. Cascade caverns are 68 degrees year round. Thats what u want

• Hook 'Em 2

Paddle or swim below Mansfield Dam, especially after 630 pm. Shits cold yo.

I appreciate my gym during the summer. I prefer to exercise outside doing shit, its nice and cool in there like a cave in the summer.

Escape to the Sieras or Pacific coast.
  • Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

McKinney Falls?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Carlsbad Caverns.  You can fit it into either the drive there or drive back.

Going to have the dogs, so will save Carlsbad for later.  Probably a dual trip with Guadalupe Mountains at some point.  

Seriously, Texas summers are just not worth it anymore.  Austin is in the most inaccessible location for getting out of this state to cooler places too.  I don't see myself here for more than 5 more years.

• Hook 'Em 1

gotdamn 😳

we haven't even hit 80 in Denver yet (apparently that's some kind of record)...but fuck me i'm flying straight into the blastfurnace for a funeral Monday 🥵 surely they are not expecting people to attend graveside in this shit, old people will be dropping left and right!

at least i'm staying with a friend who has a pool! 😎

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

As you know I left in 2019 for Oregon.  And no, not going to post my weather forecast.  But my last few years in ATX I enjoyed visiting this place in Wimberly:

https://www.cityofwimberley.com/202/Blue-Hole-Regional-Park

On 6/15/2023 at 1:59 PM, Wally Fairway said:

Just flew into Houston for a funeral tomorrow, it was 65° when I got to the Detroit airport. Holey shit strong out of the airport here it's like a sauna. Is it okay to wear shorts to church when it's this hot?

Having moved north 25 years ago, I had forgotten what this was like. I may melt

Because I know y'all are such a caring bunch, and you need an update; I survived my 2 days in the blast furnace. It makes me appreciate my summers in Michigan and it will even make the winters more tolerable. Flew out Saturday, but had time to stop a a family gathering in Kingwood and they had just dumped 15 bags of ice into the pool so the kids use it. That was crazy, good luck to everyone in the 713, hope you make through to October. 
Y'all are welcome to come up and visit, stay near one of the big lakes, enjoy a beach, water activities in salt free water, golf, etc, and you can keep the windows open (most of the time - certainly at night). 
I won't post actual temps, because I'm not looking to get negged. 
I will likely be back for more punishment, when someone else dies; unless I manage to die first myself.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

man I really dont need or want to relive 2011.  That was a fucked up miserable summer from Mid-March to October.   And the whole of August was scorched fucking earth

Thinking august will be milder than norm.  Y’all are getting the heat now so maybe it cools off a bit and the rest of the country gets the heat

• Haha 4