Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

1 hour ago, Telegraph_it said:

Please be advised that conditions may be warmer than usual at George Bush Intercontinental Airport due to an unexpected air conditioning outage in all terminals. The City of Houston technicians are working to get the matter resolved as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience through this experience. Confirmation Number:

This Is Fine GIF

RIP Telegraph_it

16 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

atxwildcat sounds like a moron

8 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Uh, I know there’s a difference between weather and climate.  But there’s a fuckton of burnt fish all around the gulf and it’s not even the Solstice.  We may have a tiny problem.  

4 hours ago, 3adays said:

On last nights weather, Yeomans basically said he doesn’t know what’s going on and can’t explain it. 

eab03dee-e6b1-497d-b145-26f79690dfc2_tex

19 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Child of the new south here. Meaning I wilt in this fucking heat and the humidity this week feels like Memphis in August.
I need air conditioning and lots of it.

I admit I am a weakass pussy. My mother was picking cotton at 5 in 100 degree heat and going home to a hot house. My old man went to west Texas to work in the oil fields and slept in a ditch. I am old enough to remember when most cars and many homes had no ac; you went to the movies to get ac relief.

1946-1949 at Fort Sam Houston & Camp Hood - same shit but without the cotton picking and sleeping in a ditch. 
All we had was table top fans (including this one from the 1930s that my son still uses) in each room.

BA1DAD6C-3B22-4AA2-89B4-F8ED3929C8D1.jpeg

3 hours ago, 3adays said:

On last nights weather, Yeomans basically said he doesn’t know what’s going on and can’t explain it. 

I saw it... basically... soil moisture is good so it should be keeping the temperatures in check and the high pressure system is not super strong so he showed some report that said, "climate change: you're all screwed" 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3adays said:

Well, he actually said....

32 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I saw it... basically... soil moisture is good so it should be keeping the temperatures in check and the high pressure system is not super strong so he showed some report that said, "climate change: you're all screwed" 

...that.

Bottom line, the Texas summers of most of my life are a thing of the past.  None of this "yeah, it's Texas, it gets hot in the summer" bullshit.  Yeah, we know that, but this...

fd47ba3f-c290-40b0-a520-aafe39473cf8_114

4 of the 5 hottest summers on record (and by a real margin) are within the last 5 years.  And the hottest summer on record was within the last 12 years.  This is the new normal, and the new normal fucking sucks.

• Rage+1 3

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

...that.

Bottom line, the Texas summers of most of my life are a thing of the past.  None of this "yeah, it's Texas, it gets hot in the summer" bullshit.  Yeah, we know that, but this...

4 of the 5 hottest summers on record (and by a real margin) are within the last 5 years.  And the hottest summer on record was within the last 12 years.  This is the new normal, and the new normal fucking sucks.

It's the new normal for now, until it isn't.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

...that.

I keep trying to say "maybe it's just a cycle and will revert to normal." or maybe it's because there is more building in the area. 

No... it's never going to stop.

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I keep trying to say "maybe it's just a cycle and will revert to normal." or maybe it's because there is more building in the area. 

Yeah, it's not "increased urban development."  Similar records are set in places like Tyler, which hasn't grown materially in decades.  If it's a cycle, it's a long f'n cycle (we're up to over a quarter century of the trend of increasingly hotter/record summers).

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I bet the high during the summer was like 93, at most then

9 June 1948 - the high in San Antonio was 103. Scroll into July & August for more summer temperatures.

https://weatherspark.com/h/m/7137/1948/6/Historical-Weather-in-June-1948-in-San-Antonio-Texas-United-States#Figures-Temperature

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Looks like 3 of 5.

Your point remains, obviously. 

Shit, read 2009 as 2019.  But seriously, this trend started in the late 90s, and has continued.  It's a trend I don't much like.

I mean, I've also noticed it in fish patterns, arrival times and amount of waterfowl (later, and not as many), all kinds of other bigger trends that tie into temperature/climate.  It's not good.

• Hook 'Em 1

Evaporative cooler fans were popular in public venues, and my grandparents had one in their cafe next to Grandpa’s auto repair garage.
Small units that clamped to the front passenger side car window were available for rent when crossing the desert areas of the Southwest & SoCal.

I'd be relatively fine with no A/C until night time. One good thing is that there is usually a breeze blowing and it's not too hot until 1-2 in the afternoon if you're in the shade. But trying to sleep when it's 85-95 degrees out would be miserable.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'd be relatively fine with no A/C until night time. One good thing is that there is usually a breeze blowing and it's not too hot until 1-2 in the afternoon if you're in the shade. But trying to sleep when it's 85-95 degrees out would be miserable.

be7e02e7-5f47-417f-9b65-b66907e1182f_tex

• Hook 'Em 3

Sleeping wasn’t bad if we kept our tabletop fans blowing directly on us all night. 
I recall drinking a lot of ice water during the day.

We got a nice respite from the Texas heat when Dad was transferred in 1950 to Fort Brooke in San Juan, Puerto Rico (within the walls of El Morro Fortress - our quarters were in the trees by the green space on the right of the street that ran up to the citadel).
Spent 3 1/2 lovely years there with a constant ocean breeze, and gorgeous tropical sunsets over San Juan Bay.

3B7FB52A-7A04-4958-B3B7-E18C117FFA70.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

36 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, it's not "increased urban development."  Similar records are set in places like Tyler, which hasn't grown materially in decades.  If it's a cycle, it's a long f'n cycle (we're up to over a quarter century of the trend of increasingly hotter/record summers).

A quarter of a century is puppynuts in the grand scheme of time.  

Yeah, but the quarter of a century when I sweat my balls off from one record breaking year to another breaking year is of some consequence.  At least to me. 

I know, I know.  Long game when it comes to weather versus climate.  But no long game when it comes to anything else.  

23 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Evaporative cooler fans were popular in public venues, and my grandparents had one in their cafe next to Grandpa’s auto repair garage.
Small units that clamped to the front passenger side car window were available for rent when crossing the desert areas of the Southwest & SoCal.

We had one at the ranch cabin for years.  Loved it.  Finally replaced by a couple of window unit ACs

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

A quarter of a century is puppynuts in the grand scheme of time.  

Sure, in the grand scheme of millenia, or epochs and shit.  But in terms of human history....it's actually material.  And from much larger historical data (we have thousands of years of it from a variety of sources), the increase in temps the last half century is remarkable.  Just locally, we have 120 years of data.  And:

Since the 1890s, August in Austin has produced an average of seven 100-degree days. But if you look at the past 30 years, as the effects of climate change have become more apparent, that average nearly doubles to 13.

That's just looking at August.

I've been fishing and hunting in Texas for a half century.  I've seen significant shifts in the movement and patterns of wildlife in the past 25 years.  Real shit is happening.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure, in the grand scheme of millenia, or epochs and shit.  But in terms of human history....it's actually material.  And from much larger historical data (we have thousands of years of it from a variety of sources), the increase in temps the last half century is remarkable.  Just locally, we have 120 years of data.  And:

I've been fishing and hunting in Texas for a half century.  I've seen significant shifts in the movement and patterns of wildlife in the past 25 years.  Real shit is happening.

Not to mention the bare bones science that when you increase the level of CO2 in the atmosphere to levels not seen since the dinosaur era when the planet was way warmer, yeah, it's gonna get warmer.  But there are certain posters that refuse to understand anything, so it's best to just move on.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And aggy is getting dumber by the year.

15 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Meh, this week will be hot but oh well it's summer and it's hot. The meltdown happens sometime in mid to late August when it's been this way for over 2 months, and you start losing your mind a bit waiting on the first 89 degree high of late September.

I've gotten old and nerdy enough, and increasingly less tolerant of SETX summer weather, that usually starting around Labor Day, I spend a little time each day looking through GFS models for any hint of the first cool front headed for Texas. That first day that the low temp hits 65 (usually early one morning in late September) is quite possibly my new favorite day of the year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Sleeping wasn’t bad if we kept our tabletop fans blowing directly on us all night. 
I recall drinking a lot of ice water during the day.

We got a nice respite from the Texas heat when Dad was transferred in 1950 to Fort Brooke in San Juan, Puerto Rico (within the walls of El Morro Fortress - our quarters were in the trees by the green space on the right of the street that ran up to the citadel).
Spent 3 1/2 lovely years there with a constant ocean breeze, and gorgeous tropical sunsets over San Juan Bay.

3B7FB52A-7A04-4958-B3B7-E18C117FFA70.jpeg

I live on the coast 15 miles west of San Juan. The constant strong breeze makes so much of a difference.

• Like 1

Thankful that shower last Friday night missed my house but managed to fuckup a weekend of baseball. Also thankful we now have a game or practice everyday from today until next Tuesday. 

At least they didn't schedule us for the hottest time of the day, for the coolest time of the day on any of those days. 

Fuck this heat.

2 hours ago, Felix said:

Sure.  Just keep telling yourself that.

Ok.  You keep telling yourself that 20 year measurements mean anything in geologic time.  Texas was an ocean.  Lots of data that locates "Atlantis" in North Africa.  

We have an affect on the climate, we absolutely do not and cannot control it.  The absurdity to think we do and can control the climate is Idiocracy.

Should we do more and everything we can to conserve and limit our effects on the environment???  Absolutely!  And I stand by it and live by it everyday.   But thinking we can control it... That's hilarity at it's finest

In the past 600 years you've been able to have wineries in England, and skate on the Thames during winter.  We can't control shit.  The burning ball of fire 93mm miles from us controls that, along with a 23 degree tilt towards the burning ball and a polar wobble that ambulates every 26000 years.   

I 100% believe we should do everything we can to take care of our environs, but that's literally all we can do.  

5 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

True story.  I was sitting on the porch at crown and anchor one October and a cold front blasted in. Went from 85 to 67 in an instant.  A week later it was hot again. And I thought “what an anomaly, it’s hot in October,”.   Next few October’s I said the same.   Then I left.  

12 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Ok.  You keep telling yourself that 20 year measurements mean anything in geologic time.  Texas was an ocean.  Lots of data that locates "Atlantis" in North Africa.  

We have an affect on the climate, we absolutely do not and cannot control it.  The absurdity to think we do and can control the climate is Idiocracy.

Should we do more and everything we can to conserve and limit our effects on the environment???  Absolutely!  And I stand by it and live by it everyday.   But thinking we can control it... That's hilarity at it's finest

In the past 600 years you've been able to have wineries in England, and skate on the Thames during winter.  We can't control shit.  The burning ball of fire 93mm miles from us controls that, along with a 23 degree tilt towards the burning ball and a polar wobble that ambulates every 26000 years.   

I 100% believe we should do everything we can to take care of our environs, but that's literally all we can do.  

We can control the amount of CO2 we pump into the air. 

Its both sad and maddening that the talking points have shifted from "climate change is a hoax," to "yeah, ok its real, but there's really nothing we can do about it anyway." 

Isn't that convenient. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

You do know why we have an oxygen rich atmosphere right?  Because extremely successful organisms (like us) made it that way.  It also resulted in large extinctions and changed life on earth.  "Control" is not the issue.  The issue is tipping the balance and changing the ecosystem that we all rely on to survive.  It's happening even as we speak and you're lying to yourself if you don't think we are doing to ourselves.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Until you pull up temps in winter.  I'll take the heat.  

I used to say "well, at least I don't have to shovel the heat!"

And now I'm like "fuck, I can't shovel the heat!"

I can always put on more clothes up north, but in Austin, there's only so many I can remove before public indecency laws kick in, and I'm not going to test the waters to see if there is a "three strikes" policy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Foosters said:

We can control the amount of CO2 we pump into the air. 

Its both sad and maddening that the talking points have shifted from "climate change is a hoax," to "yeah, ok its real, but there's really nothing we can do about it anyway." 

Isn't that convenient. 

I've never said it was a hoax.  I've always said, and it is a 100% scientific fact, that climate change is the entire history of our planet.  Yes, we make an impact on it and can infinitesimally make adjustments to it, but it is not the driving factor of climate on earth and never will be.  

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

I've never said it was a hoax.  I've always said, and it is a 100% scientific fact, that climate change is the entire history of our planet.  Yes, we make an impact on it and can infinitesimally make adjustments to it, but it is not the driving factor of climate on earth and never will be.  

Since 1750, humans have increased the abundance of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by nearly 50 percent.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/are-humans-causing-or-contributing-global-warming#:~:text=A net 5 billion metric,Learn more.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Felix said:

You do know why we have an oxygen rich atmosphere right?  Because extremely successful organisms (like us) made it that way.  It also resulted in large extinctions and changed life on earth.  "Control" is not the issue.  The issue is tipping the balance and changing the ecosystem that we all rely on to survive.  It's happening even as we speak and you're lying to yourself if you don't think we are doing to ourselves.

20ish percent oxygen.  Been up to 35% around 300mm years ago, but been around 20% for roughly 400mm years.   There's a reason that millions of times more organisms went extinct before us than exist today...Changes have been happening constantly and little changes change the biodiversity.   

I know you hardheads read this in me saying that "I'm denying this, or i'm an asshole that".  That's fine.  You can think that.  I've never said we shouldn't do everything smart to be more conservative.   I'm only saying that there's literally only so many things we can do.  We can control our resources.  Controlling and conserving resources absolutely does not mean that we are going to control the climate, because we cannot fucking control the climate.  

5 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Since 1750, humans have increased the abundance of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by nearly 50 percent.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/are-humans-causing-or-contributing-global-warming#:~:text=A net 5 billion metric,Learn more.

Awesome!  And during the age of the dinosaurs Co2 was much higher than it is now.  

The fact increased Co2 actually helps us feed everyone living on the rock

Phanerozoic_Carbon_Dioxide.png