Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

13 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

4 years of 2 -a -days.... literally 2 full weeks of 3-4 hours two times a day with a Saturday morning in the first week....I wouldn't trade it for the world....nobody passed out nobody died... nobody mama bitched and moaned or complained to the coach... principal..more superintendent...or called the local news about how Jr was mistreated.....

I miss those days 1973 through 1976

And I thought we had it rough...my dad in the  fall of 1949 Turkey Turks- Turkey Tx ...was taken to altitude between Eagles Nest and Red River to an open pasture and had 2-a -days for 2 full weeks in an open pasture...camped out... rotated taking KP duty....and nobody died and no Mama's  supervised....he is 91 now and told me we were sissy's ..just like I told my boys....

Let’s look up the temperatures from 1973-1976

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/austin/year-1973

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/austin/year-1974

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/austin/year-1975

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/austin/year-1976

nobody complained because it wasn’t that hot

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Didn't live in Austin...(thank God)....and it was hot.... No A/C in fieldhouse....had a swampbox at the house

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It also wasn’t hot near Turkey Tx in 1949 for his August practice 

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/us/tx/turkey/KLBB/date/1949-8

We all grew up practicing in mid 95 heat in Texas. It sucked. But 105 is dangerous shit. 

he didn't practice 2 a days in Turkey... Obviously you can't read

9 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Just flew into Houston for a funeral tomorrow, it was 65° when I got to the Detroit airport. Holey shit strong out of the airport here it's like a sauna. Is it okay to wear shorts to church when it's this hot?

Having moved north 25 years ago, I had forgotten what this was like. I may melt

i also am flying in for a funeral on Sunday, in Austin. from Denver. where it's currently 59*. FML 😝

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Walked 35 miles in the last five days. Last night I did seven miles in 1 hour, 51 minutes. I am 60 something years old and laugh at you whippersnappers who complain the heat.  That which does not kill me makes me stronger. 

d0f47a35-f6d4-4cf6-b4ee-3212c5b67d3e_tex

It's fucking hot.  By the way.  

Father's Day weekend is planned. Beer and sitting in the San Marcos river. GF is coming in for it and will try and get some pics for you cats. 

But, as I told my Canadian friend today who was bitching, well we are not wearing armor in Southern Afghanistan. Perspective my friends. It's hot, but ain't like that. 

Drink water, eat watermelon, drink beer. I think we can make it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Walked 35 miles in the last five days. Last night I did seven miles in 1 hour, 51 minutes. I am 60 something years old and laugh at you whippersnappers who complain the heat.  That which does not kill me makes me stronger. 

Cool story Kelly Clarkson 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Some people don’t get the idea of truly enjoying being outside versus being tough enough to be outside.

That sums up the difference between summers in Houston and summers in Amarillo.  There is zero enjoyment of the weather down there from Easter till Halloween.

5 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Some people don’t get the idea of truly enjoying being outside versus being tough enough to be outside.

Amen. I'm tired of shitty summers where I can't do shit outside for much of the day.  Thankfully, I think the wife is coming around to it, and it's helping that forecasts for July have it being hotter than usual.

3 hours ago, slorch said:

That sums up the difference between summers in Houston and summers in Amarillo.  There is zero enjoyment of the weather down there from Easter till Halloween.

But who doesn't enjoy taking a shower after ever time they go outside?

This kind of heat wave in the middle of June just sucks all around. At least when you're facing something like this towards the end of August, you can console yourself that there's some relief on the horizon. At this point in the year, there's nothing ahead but more of the same for months to come. 

My wife headed out this morning to go see my in-laws for Father's Day and our nephew's birthday. Got the house to myself for the next 48 hours.  While getting ready, was thinking how nice it would be to take the day off (if I wasn't so busy at work), but then I remembered that it's in the high 90's and humid (current heat index 109). Not like I'd wanna go for a long bike ride or dust off the clubs and hit the driving range. 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Go find a river! That is my plan. Sit in river, drink beer, check out co-eds. 

If I still lived anywhere close to San Marcos (my old stomping grounds from '02-'07) like you, I probably would. Unfortunately, I live in the concrete jungle, where our only natural water feature is a giant muddy drainage ditch.

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

If I still lived anywhere close to San Marcos (my old stomping grounds from '02-'07) like you, I probably would. Unfortunately, I live in the concrete jungle, where our only natural water feature is a giant muddy drainage ditch.

Come on down. I will teach you to play rock hole. 

15 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Best epitaph ever.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Amen. I'm tired of shitty summers where I can't do shit outside for much of the day.  Thankfully, I think the wife is coming around to it, and it's helping that forecasts for July have it being hotter than usual.

But who doesn't enjoy taking a shower after ever time they go outside?

Houston is so trash, man. I told my mom I'm never, ever visiting during the summer. No thanks to visiting places where I have to swim through the air.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

They're kind of crazy. A lot of the hottest temps ever recorded are heat bursts. 

The sun was angry that day, my friends! Like an old man trying to send soup back at a deli.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Getting tired of the "whatever, it's summer in Texas, it's supposed to be hot"

It's supposed to hit 103 in Houston on Tuesday. The average high for June 20th is 92. Now, I'm no math expert, but that appears to be double digits above normal.

Looks like this extreme streak should finally dissipate from "way hotter than average" to just "hotter than average" by Thursday. Crazy that it'll be a relief to only hit 95.  

• Hook 'Em 1