Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

6 hours ago, Jackson P. Neighbors said:

We've got a place out in ETX, all cameras are wifi so I knew power was out of course. No big deal, it happens not infrequently. Woke up Friday and checked the outage map for SWEPCO, my provider, and HOLY SHIT. Carnage from Fayetteville down to near Alexandria. 240k customers out. Every fucking customer in Franklin County was shown to be out. 100%, the entire county was and is, still down. Amazing. After a couple of hours, I got what, in retrospect, might be the world's most wildly inaccurate email from them saying estimated restoration was Saturday at 3PM. 

I decided to go out there Sat morning to clear the fridges and freezers and try to salvage anything I could before it rotted. Saturday morning wasn't really even bad in the shade and I could still only take about 10 minutes inside at a time before having to get back outside in the breeze, drenched in sweat.

3PM comes and goes of course without restoration. Then about 6PM I get another email saying my estimated restoration time had been moved back just a tad to NEXT FRIDAY BY 10PM. Called aunt and uncle who are also out there nearby and told them to get their old asses to Dallas ASAP, shit was borked. They arrived safely yesterday afternoon thank god but said it is very bad, everyone is crowding into the local Dukes or a random church, or Walmart, or the school gyms, anywhere there is a generator and AC. There are literally thousands of line workers coming in from across the country to help, its going to really suck for them. 

I am also very surprised this isn't a bigger news story outside of that local area. The medium-size towns like Longview, Tyler, etc. are also in a world of hurt.

If you have a bunch of free time, here's the current outage map, updated every 15 mins: SWEPCO Outage Map Good news, down to 110,000 out right now...

Austin:

giphy.gif

Tulsa experienced a wind storm Saturday night with 100mph winds.  A term I’ve never heard Derecho and a storm unlike I’ve ever seen inland.  200,000+ still without power including your favorite Okie. Small hurricane/tropical storm like damage is widespread.

Not as hot as Austin but 95F, high humidity, and no A/C sucks donkey nuts.

https://www.fox23.com/news/local/the-makings-of-green-countrys-powerful-weekend-derecho/article_0d26cee6-0ef0-11ee-8883-c7919549c338.html

• Hook 'Em 1

Tulsa experienced a wind storm Saturday night with 100mph winds.  A term I’ve never heard Derecho and a storm unlike I’ve ever seen inland.  200,000+ still without power including your favorite Okie. Small hurricane/tropical storm like damage is widespread.
Not as hot as Austin but 95F, high humidity, and no A/C sucks donkey nuts.
https://www.fox23.com/news/local/the-makings-of-green-countrys-powerful-weekend-derecho/article_0d26cee6-0ef0-11ee-8883-c7919549c338.html
This rolled right through my brother's area. He was down here in Houston visiting. They headed home today and got power back this afternoon.

49 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

This fucking sucks. Our AC needs to be replaced, but it still works fine until it get to around 95 for extended periods. So I haven't bought the bullet just yet. 

We have since replaced our AC, but we installed a 1 ton mini split. You can find them for about $700. We still use it now and generally save money because no point in cooling off the whole house when we mainly use one room

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

We have since replaced our AC, but we installed a 1 ton mini split. You can find them for about $700. We still use it now and generally save money because no point in cooling off the whole house when we mainly use one room

I have a couple of window type units that I use. 

54 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Well I guess I'm getting gas for the genny this afternoon

My brother ordered a a new 48kw Generac in November to replace his older 15kw outfit.

He was notified Saturday that it arrived in the local warehouse, but it’ll be the first week of August before one of their crews can install it. 
His son out in the Hill Country is getting the old one for his country house.

Can someone splain it to me? I'm a Texan. I've lived through plenty of 100+ days, but this heat wave just seems hotter. Is there some atmospheric thing that makes 2023 100 degrees hotter than 2008 100 degrees? I know I'm 15 years older than 2008, but come on! I spent time outside in 2008, not so much today.

4 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Can someone splain it to me? I'm a Texan. I've lived through plenty of 100+ days, but this heat wave just seems hotter. Is there some atmospheric thing that makes 2023 100 degrees hotter than 2008 100 degrees? I know I'm 15 years older than 2008, but come on! I spent time outside in 2008, not so much today.

No explanation needed.

5 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Agree. It's gotta be the humidity/heat index. But just being outside for 90 seconds makes me feel like I need to change my damp ass clothes when I come back inside. 

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Agree. It's gotta be the humidity/heat index. But just being outside for 90 seconds makes me feel like I need to change my damp ass clothes when I come back inside. 

Absolutely. New Braunfels Nat'l Airport has recorded 115+ heat index the past 4/5 days in a row. 115 already today at 13:51. Dewpoints in the mid to upper 70s and temps in the high 90s to low 100s is literally hell on Earth as we are so lucky to experience this year.

Somewhere in the RGV recorded a heat index of 120 deg yesterday. 105 deg temp w/ 75 deg dewpoint. Think it was McAllen.

Fuck this shit.

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

It's barely livable now but Texas will become unlivable in the summer in another 10-15 years. Seems we are setting new shittastic records almost annually now.

Move to elevation. 

I'm aiming for within 5 years, and wife is finally onboard with getting the fuck out of Dodge.

I don't know what the fuck is going on, but I'm done with "once in a lifetime events" happening every other year, and I'm tired of spending my summers indoors.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

I'm aiming for within 5 years, and wife is finally onboard with getting the fuck out of Dodge.

I don't know what the fuck is going on, but I'm done with "once in a lifetime events" happening every other year, and I'm tired of spending my summers indoors.

Most sensible people know what's causing this shit but our old fuck leaders don't give a shit because they all will be dead in 20 years.

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

Im pretty sure this will be the hottest Texas summer ever, right?

until next summer....

• Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

It's barely livable now but Texas will become unlivable in the summer in another 10-15 years. Seems we are setting new shittastic records almost annually now.

Move to elevation. 

Well, I’ll be cremated before then anyway, so no biggie for me.

But seriously, is this fake news disinformation?

https://www.ercot.com/gridmktinfo/dashboards/gridconditions

9 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Well, I’ll be cremated before then anyway, so no biggie for me.

But seriously, is this fake news disinformation?

https://www.ercot.com/gridmktinfo/dashboards/gridconditions

Shit if it gets a little hotter you won't even have to pay for the cremation services

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Rage+1 1

Move to elevation. 

My nephew who lives in Jonestown built a vacation home near Leadville, Colorado (10,000’ above sea level).

He has been up there for a month and may extend his stay. 
(but he has to use an oxygen generator to sleep at night)

02115F79-EE9F-431B-AEF0-D3AB4603F0C5.jpeg

71A27823-C942-4D9C-B530-7055AAD774EE.jpeg

E75253B5-2676-425B-90D6-D6A5ADAFEEC1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My nephew who lives in Jonestown built a vacation home near Leadville, Colorado (10,000’ above sea level).

He has been up there for a month and may extend his stay. 
(but he has to use an oxygen generator to sleep at night)

02115F79-EE9F-431B-AEF0-D3AB4603F0C5.jpeg

71A27823-C942-4D9C-B530-7055AAD774EE.jpeg

E75253B5-2676-425B-90D6-D6A5ADAFEEC1.jpeg

3 weeks ago, I spent a glorious 9 days just south of there in Twin Lakes. Went to Leadville a few times to eat and shop. That pizza place is fucking legit. 

I'm looking from Leadville down to Buena Vista at buying a home for retirement. Fuck Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1