Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

Just now, Trey3216 said:

Awesome!  And during the age of the dinosaurs Co2 was much higher than it is now.  

The fact increased Co2 actually helps us feed everyone living on the rock

Phanerozoic_Carbon_Dioxide.png

I'm not sure what point you think you're making. 

Its like I'm standing in a flooded house in a foot of water trying to repair a broken pipe while you're waiving charts at me to explain that there are many living creatures that can live in water.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

I'm not sure what point you think you're making. 

Its like I'm standing in a flooded house in a foot of water trying to repair a broken pipe while you're waiving charts at me to explain that there are many living creatures that can live in water.

You're attempting to say that human beings can control the climate.

I'm saying that we cannot, but we need to do a better job at being conservationists

• Hook 'Em 1

Dude, no one is saying we can control the climate, only that for all of history biological organisms have changed the climate.  We are doing that right now. It is actually changing right now and we are doing it.  It's going to cause widespread changes to the rest of the ecosystem. It already is.  Most organisms aren't as adaptable as we are so many are dying because they can't adapt fast enough.

Humans are doing it, just like the algae pumped the atmosphere full of oxygen and changed it millions of years ago. No one is saying other things don't also affect the climate, they do.  It's a complex system.  No shit.  If you don't think organic life is one of those factors I don't know what to tell you.  It's not an issue of control it's an issue of damage mitigation.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Felix said:

Dude, no one is saying we can control the climate, only that for all of history biological organisms have changed the climate.  We are doing that right now. It is actually changing right now and we are doing it.  It's going to cause widespread changes to the rest of the ecosystem. It already is.  Most organisms aren't as adaptable as we are so many are dying because they can't adapt fast enough.

Humans are doing it, just like the algae pumped the atmosphere full of oxygen and changed it millions of years ago. No one is saying other things don't also affect the climate, they do.  It's a complex system.  No shit.  If you don't think organic life is one of those factors I don't know what to tell you.  It's not an issue of control it's an issue of damage mitigation.

Dude...Biological organisms don't change the climate....much.  The fucking sun and the earth change the climate.  Biological organisms do their best to react to said changes and either adapt, evolve and survive...or they turn into oil, more or less.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Felix said:

You've clearly made up your mind on this so I'll leave you your illusions.  Let's just say that the vast majority of people who study this for a living don't agree with you.

But you see, they're being paid to lie!  Dude, I said it earlier.  People like this refuse to understand.  Best to just move on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Pepperidge Farms remembers acid rain and the hole in the ozone later and people took action to reverse course and it worked.

Now we are back to arguing if its even possible for humans to alter the environment on this planet, not that we may or may not be impacting the climate, flat out its not possible. So no point in trying to reduce our fuckery. While Texas is enjoying smoke from Mexico. Plastic debris is Everywhere in the environment, but lets ban limiting single use bags even if our cotton is so contaminated with plastic trash blowing on the breeze that countries won't take our cotton or take it as a lesser value because it's so contaminated its not worth processing. Yay team.

Hurr Durr.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

What a completely disingenuous statement.

Fuck you.

It’s not disingenuous by any means.  You seem to think we are literally more important than the entire planet and the sun.   Fuck your own face 

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Felix said:

You've clearly made up your mind on this so I'll leave you your illusions.  Let's just say that the vast majority of people who study this for a living don't agree with you.

Not once have I said the climate is not changing.  Not once have I said it hasn’t changed and shifted in the course of humanity.   It also coincides with quite natural changes in the rotation of the earth and cycles of the sun, just as it always has, just like the ice cores show.   

we absolutely need to do better to conserve the gifts we have been given regarding resources, but for fuck‘S sake, we do not and cannot control the climate.  

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

But you see, they're being paid to lie!  Dude, I said it earlier.  People like this refuse to understand.  Best to just move on.

6 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Pepperidge Farms remembers acid rain and the hole in the ozone later and people took action to reverse course and it worked.

Now we are back to arguing if its even possible for humans to alter the environment on this planet, not that we may or may not be impacting the climate, flat out its not possible. So no point in trying to reduce our fuckery. While Texas is enjoying smoke from Mexico. Plastic debris is Everywhere in the environment, but lets ban limiting single use bags even if our cotton is so contaminated with plastic trash blowing on the breeze that countries won't take our cotton or take it as a lesser value because it's so contaminated its not worth processing. Yay team.

Hurr Durr.

Where the fuck have I said to not do better?  Fucking read dumbass.  

At least we’re not in the dust bowl, or the potato famine, or the plague, or the numerous calamities around the world…

it’s summer in Texas.   It’s hot, same as it ever was.   

grab a ledge, or grab a beer, or hit me up for a beer on me if you’re ever swinging through my way.   You’d find I’m a pretty level-headed person who enjoys people and a good conversation.  

or hate me, I don’t give 2 shits

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If you start talking about horoscopes, I’m going to neg you. 

Is this the dawning? 

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

It’s not disingenuous by any means.  You seem to think we are literally more important than the entire planet and the sun.   Fuck your own face 

What the fuck are you even talking about?

Wait, are you Rocko?

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Ok.  You keep telling yourself that 20 year measurements mean anything in geologic time.  Texas was an ocean.  Lots of data that locates "Atlantis" in North Africa.  
We have an affect on the climate, we absolutely do not and cannot control it.  The absurdity to think we do and can control the climate is Idiocracy.

Should we do more and everything we can to conserve and limit our effects on the environment???  Absolutely!  And I stand by it and live by it everyday.   But thinking we can control it... That's hilarity at it's finest

In the past 600 years you've been able to have wineries in England, and skate on the Thames during winter.  We can't control shit.  The burning ball of fire 93mm miles from us controls that, along with a 23 degree tilt towards the burning ball and a polar wobble that ambulates every 26000 years.   

I 100% believe we should do everything we can to take care of our environs, but that's literally all we can do.  

Is this the new talking point?

“It’s not real!“
“Okay it’s real but it’s not cause by humans!”
“Okay it’s real and humans are having an impact (narrator: humans are the driver but let’s give him a break for coming around) but we obviously can’t control the climate!”
  • Rage+1 2

I was working yesterday afternoon fixing some fence.  I was drenched in sweat after just 30 minutes stretching barbed wire.  It reminded me of the hottest I've ever felt in my life.  In 2019, I was digging post holes with my uncle and cousin and it was absolutely unbearable.  100 degree heat and crazy humidity with no breeze.  I felt like I was breathing through a wet paper bag that just got out of the microwave.  Not official obviously, but check out the heat index from that day.

spacer.png

• Drool 1

32 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

When I was a kid, I don't remember sweet tea really being a thing in Texas (except maybe east Texas).  It was always a deep south thing I thought.  Now it's everywhere.  And everyone's fat.  And now we have global warming.  

I had never heard of sweet tea until I moved away to college outside Texas. It definitely wasn’t a thing.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just flew into Houston for a funeral tomorrow, it was 65° when I got to the Detroit airport. Holey shit strong out of the airport here it's like a sauna. Is it okay to wear shorts to church when it's this hot?

Having moved north 25 years ago, I had forgotten what this was like. I may melt

• Rage+1 1

Just flew into Houston for a funeral tomorrow, it was 65° when I got to the Detroit airport. Holey shit strong out of the airport here it's like a sauna. Is it okay to wear shorts to church when it's this hot?

I sure hope everyone thinking about moving here has this same reaction.
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Houston is a straight up 'nother level compared to the other TX metros. 

Parks And Recreation GIF by Peacock

5 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

When I was a kid, I don't remember sweet tea really being a thing in Texas (except maybe east Texas).  It was always a deep south thing I thought.  Now it's everywhere.  And everyone's fat.  And now we have global warming.  

Sweet tea is fucking disgusting

• Hook 'Em 6

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

8 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I had never heard of sweet tea until I moved away to college outside Texas. It definitely wasn’t a thing.

Bill Miller BBQ in San Antonio disagrees. They've been selling sweet tea since the 1950s. 

70ttb.jpg.a1438291823e8ac2550306fd4d964cfc.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

How did I survive 2-a-days in August? Black helmets, black practice jerseys, no shade. Honestly wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

4 years of 2 -a -days.... literally 2 full weeks of 3-4 hours two times a day with a Saturday morning in the first week....I wouldn't trade it for the world....nobody passed out nobody died... nobody mama bitched and moaned or complained to the coach... principal..more superintendent...or called the local news about how Jr was mistreated.....

I miss those days 1973 through 1976

And I thought we had it rough...my dad in the  fall of 1949 Turkey Turks- Turkey Tx ...was taken to altitude between Eagles Nest and Red River to an open pasture and had 2-a -days for 2 full weeks in an open pasture...camped out... rotated taking KP duty....and nobody died and no Mama's  supervised....he is 91 now and told me we were sissy's ..just like I told my boys....