Trump Town Hall thread, all snowflakes welcome

jimmyjazz

6 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

I hear you @Gil Bang

You're free to go back and look up my history on this site, though I'll save you the trouble.

Long story......even longer than needed. I was initially influenced by Reagan as I was raised under a conservative household. In high school I was an intern with my Congressman Bill Archer ®.

Appointed by Congressman Archer to a U.S. Service Academy, served as an officer in the USNR. At this time late 90's.I was still very "pro conservative/republican"

I was a long time listener to AM talk radio (Rush/Hannity/Beck) in the mid 2000's. I really started questioning what I was listening to.

During the Obama years I had a come to "Jesus" moment. What Rush et all were preaching on the radio was not what I was experiencing in real life.

However, at this point I had been pretty brainwashed to be anti-Hillary. Fuck me.

I'm willing to admit that I did vote for Trump in 2016. I did have some reluctance, as I did get a very strong "piece of shit" vibe from him. However, I convinced myself that the "weight" of the Office of The President of The United States would reel him in...............fuck me!

Good news is, my mistake has opened me up to what the GOP really is. My mantra since then has to never vote for any republican/conservative who ever supported Trump. I'm happy to say I've been proactively campaigning for democrats in my district since six months after the 2016 election.

Long story short. Fuck Trump! People are capable of change, they just need to be able to admit they fucked up.

rocky-iv.gif.a5b38c09f626aef6a9c86bf66617360f.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For not wanting to vote for either of them?
The question was raised as to why an independent could favor Trump over Biden.  Among other things, do you have any cognition of the TikTok/reel world in which we now live and the influential power of entertainment fed to individuals in repeated, short bursts?  
Trump is an absolutely terrible candidate in every meaningful way, but in 2023 he still has certain advantages over Biden that will (albeit tragically) appeal to many voters.  Biden just isn't fit for the office, and continuing to prop him up there as the "anti-Trump savior" isn't doing anyone any favors.
I agree with some other sentiments, we need hosts who will more forcefully call out Trump for his lying & fuckery but we also need better candidates on both sides.  If that opinion makes me "intensely stupid" (good one, btw), then so be it.

Please tell me you understand the difference between “we deserve better candidates” and “both candidates are equal level morons.”
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Please tell me you understand the difference between “we deserve better candidates” and “both candidates are equal level morons.”

Ok fine, they obviously aren't "equally" bad but they are both still terrible options.  It's like giving someone the choice between one to the chest (Biden) or three to the head (Trump).

• Fuck You 12

54 minutes ago, safe sex said:

@TwiceHorn @Brisketexan @Ghost of LL and other lawyers, the way he talked about E. Jean Carroll, as well as the way he described the afternoon that he assaulted her, made me want to vomit. It also sounded very similar (and in other ways worse) to things he said in the past, like the things that led her to sue him. Could she sue him again?

Sure. Why not. If someone hits you with his car, you sue, and win a judgment … and then the next day the guy hits you again with his car, why would you not be able to sue again?

The issue, however, would be damages.  Presumably she recovered for the diminution of her reputation already. If he repeats the lie, has her reputation been further damaged?

1 hour ago, BevoAbyss said:

You left out fascist. 

Frankly, I find it interesting that so many people in Surly will use every kind of word and term to creatively describe Trump, MAGA, GQP and their goals. Yet so few will use the single word that is 100% most accurate: fascist

Anyone want to refute this?  It’s accurate. I know it sucks to admit. Gloves need to come off.

• Hook 'Em 2

I bet years off the back end of my life he only agreed to this if they promised under threat of suit not to have a button to cut his mic. 

And as if he can’t talk loud enough without a mic 
CNN's options were to 1. push back like an actual journalist 2. put people in the audience that would actually push back, or 3. not give him a platform in the first place

1 and 2 would have been spun into the GOP victimhood industrial complex, so the obvious choice should have been 3. CNN went with the circus, and shame on them for doing it.
  • Hook 'Em 6

Ok fine, they obviously aren't "equally" bad but they are both still terrible options.  It's like giving someone the choice between one to the chest (Biden) or three to the head (Trump).
More like watching a person shit o your porch versus watching them shit on your table.

You can wander off back to your hole. I think we will be fine without your astute political opinions 

I would sure hope so. But, I might just stick around…my opinions may not be popular with everyone but seeing people like you get bent out of shape is worth a little bit of neg rep every now and then.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 7

Just now, McCroskey said:

I would sure hope so. But, I might just stick around…my opinions may not be popular with everyone but seeing people like you get bent out of shape is worth a little bit of neg rep every now and then.

This Is Cool GIF by MOODMAN

12 minutes ago, Pods said:

Collins was there to be a speed bump and normalize Trump. Full stop. Exactly as their new board and CEO wanted her to be.

So the new board and CEO also wanted Anderson Cooper and Jake Tapper to ping pong back and forth for hours after this thing, consistently and constantly slamming Trump with a dozen co-conspirators?

Edited by jimmyjazz
eh, fuck it

More like one is old and capable of basic decency and the other is a literal rapist and traitor. But you know same same

Are you saying Joe is a good option? Or just that Joe is a better option than Trump.

I agree with the latter, but, that alone doesn’t really help anyone. At the end of the day he’s completely incompetent for the job that needs to be done.

Super nice guy though.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Are you saying Joe is a good option? Or just that Joe is a better option than Trump.

I agree with the latter, but, that alone doesn’t really help anyone. At the end of the day he’s completely incompetent for the job that needs to be done.

Super nice guy though.

Slow Motion Yes GIF by MOODMAN

3 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

At the end of the day he’s completely incompetent for the job that needs to be done.

How so? On its face, of course he's too old for office, and I wish there was someone else. ...but, what has he actually done in his first term that you've deemed to display incompetence?

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

I’m a lawyer. 

Really. 

Yes. Of course she could sue him again. Res judicata would only prevent relitigating the prior statements. New defamatory statement = new cause of action. 

One key thing is the falsity element.  As between her and DJT, it is conclusively established that he sexually assaulted her.

Any further denials coupled with defamatory statements would sidestep the truth/falsity question and be a lot easier to prove.

But also remember that terrible things that might constitute an opinion, decoupled from a denial of the sexual assault, may not be actionable (suable over, successfully).

Edited by TwiceHorn

There's no way we're not in a SIM.  Because if this was a free will world there's no way in hell somebody would not have taken this asshole out.  And i'm 100% serious about free will not existing and fairly serious about the SIM shit.  After the last couple years it takes a seriously gullible fuck to believe otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

Super nice guy though.
Joe will always be a better option than Trump. This isn't even a debate.

Is Joe the best candidate for 2024? That is debatable. His age is a factor. I'd prefer a much younger candidate, but I'm pleased with where we are today as a country, so he gets the benefit of the doubt currently.

It really comes down to the policies of the party we want to represent our country. Right now, the GOP is heavily leaning toward fascism and/or a theocracy ruling party. That's not what our country is.
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Stilicho said:

This motherfucker instigated an attempted coup resulting in the first non-peaceful transfer of power in the history of this country.

But Joe Biden...

And, the motherfucker still whines like a bitch (goddammit I need new invectives) about the fucking election.

Al Gore, who had something to complain about, shut the fuck up in six weeks.

Fucking hell, I'm surprised his base isn't tired of him whinging and bitching for three fucking years now.  JFC.

God I hate that sonofabitch.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

How so? On its face, of course he's too old for office, and I wish there was someone else. ...but, what has he actually done in his first term that you've deemed to display incompetence?

That’s a tremendous question, one I’d much rather discuss over a coffee or beer. It’s not so much what he’s doing in his first term, but rather what he’s not doing.

I don’t think Biden is capable of addressing the largest issues that need addressing in our society, and quite frankly, very few of our current politicians seem interested and/or capable of addressing them. As a society, our finest minds are no longer gravitating to the political spectrum at the rates we need them to be. Serving the public shouldn’t be viewed as toxic, yet it is, and that doesn’t bode well for us long term.

Regardless of where you fall on the policy spectrum, we’ve gotten to a point in this country where politics drives far more emotion and hatred than it should, which coupled with the meteoric rise of technology, social media, etc…over the last 20+ years, and I think we’re in a situation that’s going to require different forms of leadership to start pulling us back on a more long term, sustainable path.

Biden is a career public servant, and has obviously had a very successful, noble career in serving the people of Delaware, but in my view he’s incapable of unifying disparate groups of people around the rest of the country. Many of his policies are popular with larger segments of the population, but they aren’t effective. And whether he likes it or not and no matter how badly you or anyone else hate republicans, they aren’t going away so you might as well figure out how to deal with them and their bullshit policies. We’ve seen the parties flip ideals over time so clearly it can be done.

We need leaders who can start tackling issues and garnering things such as 2/3 majorities again. Think about how normal that used to be and how impossible that seems at present.
  • Fuck You 5

When one considers how politically and socially unstable much of the world seems to be, it’s difficult to identify the kind of leader who possesses the right mix of skills need to shepherd us through uncharted waters. We have national office holders flirting with fascism and too ignorant to understand the inherent danger of doing so. Some of these same people take umbrage at the country being defined by the democratic principles upon which it was founded, while millions of voters willfully choose to believe a lie over the truth. The only thing harder than leading a well informed electorate is leading those who have been convinced they are well informed when they are anything but. 
While this is not intended to be a ringing endorsement of 80 year old presidents, I’m not convinced that there are a whole lot of ready now people who would better equipped for such a time as this. There is a lot of talent on the bench but much of it is raw and untested. The job of world leader is in many ways overwhelming for even those who understand and can navigate the political process in its entirety. We’ve lived through the calamitous result of being overseen by one for whom the job was much too big.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

That’s a tremendous question, one I’d much rather discuss over a coffee or beer. It’s not so much what he’s doing in his first term, but rather what he’s not doing.

I don’t think Biden is capable of addressing the largest issues that need addressing in our society, and quite frankly, very few of our current politicians seem interested and/or capable of addressing them. As a society, our finest minds are no longer gravitating to the political spectrum at the rates we need them to be. Serving the public shouldn’t be viewed as toxic, yet it is, and that doesn’t bode well for us long term.

Regardless of where you fall on the policy spectrum, we’ve gotten to a point in this country where politics drives far more emotion and hatred than it should, which coupled with the meteoric rise of technology, social media, etc…over the last 20+ years, and I think we’re in a situation that’s going to require different forms of leadership to start pulling us back on a more long term, sustainable path.

Biden is a career public servant, and has obviously had a very successful, noble career in serving the people of Delaware, but in my view he’s incapable of unifying disparate groups of people around the rest of the country. Many of his policies are popular with larger segments of the population, but they aren’t effective. And whether he likes it or not and no matter how badly you or anyone else hate republicans, they aren’t going away so you might as well figure out how to deal with them and their bullshit policies. We’ve seen the parties flip ideals over time so clearly it can be done.

We need leaders who can start tackling issues and garnering things such as 2/3 majorities again. Think about how normal that used to be and how impossible that seems at present.

That's a whole lot of platitudes. None of which address why you think Biden is "incompetent."

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

You talk shit like Trump. Is that on purpose?

I’m confused. The GOP platform that Trump supports is exactly what I posted. Since Trump is a ‘both sides’ to you - and may be a better choice than the senile Uncle Joe, I thought you’d want the benefits of GOP policy to have a special place in your home.

After all, when you vote GOP, you’re actually saying you hope that happens to the rest of the country. I am sure you are not a hypocrite, and would not vote for someone who would do this to other people, but would not want it to happen to them.  Goodness no.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

That's a whole lot of platitudes. None of which address why you think Biden is "incompetent."

“But… but…the folks on the stuff I listen to say that.   I don’t know why I have to come up with a reason on my own.”

He’s 80. If he had any ability to help us reform education, reduce the divisiveness in our society, improve our fiscal/monetary system, more responsibly manage government spending, etc…we’d have seen it by now.

Not knowing how to do something = incompetent.
  • Fuck You 1