Trump Town Hall thread, all snowflakes welcome

jimmyjazz

7 hours ago, Pods said:

I can see you are not familiar with their backgrounds, or public statements.

Warner Brothers and Discovery merged, Discovery management is now in charge of the overall company. New board guy (Malone, who controlled Discovery prior to the merger) has praised Fox, said Fox News is necessary for the country and stated that he wants CNN to be more like Fox News. He has publicly claimed he thinks Brett Baier is "reliably centrist". That's the same Brett Baier who was recently caught admitting to Tucker Carlson that he (Baier) was pressuring Fox to slow, or stop, Fox's accurate reporting on the election results. When Malone says CNN should be "centrist", he means Brett Baier.

The new WBD CEO has worked for Malone since 2006, dumbing down and ruining the Discovery channel and TLC into the reality show hellscapes they have become. 

https://www.vox.com/2022/8/26/23322761/cnn-john-malone-david-zaslav-chris-licht-brian-stelter-fox-peter-kafka-colum

Malone also compares himself with Murdoch favorably, though he says Murdoch differs from him by favoring a "strong military", implying that Malone is a libertarian who does not believe in a "strong military". 

More reporting from last September on it. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/3634717-changes-spark-chatter-of-cnn-is-shift-from-left-to-right/

It's obvious this townhall was always intended to be a right wing/Trump puff piece, look at the audience they selected. CNN is attempting to cater to Trump, since he is currently pissed at Fox.

CNN is going to continue to tilt farther and farther right. Tapper and Cooper will get on board, or they'll be replaced. 

I missed all of this. Thanks.

Fucking hell, I'm surprised his base isn't tired of him whinging and bitching for three fucking years now.  JFC.

Why would this surprise you? The whining and moaning is the core of the American conservative identity.
  • Hook 'Em 6

15 minutes ago, Bojack said:

I think people are largely pissed off at your dishonesty. Personally, I can't imagine anyone is really stupid enough to suggest that Lincoln was a uniting president. It's tiresome to see posters try and argue against a point that no sane, half way intelligent person could possibly believe. 

So Lincolns "House Divided" speech and drawing a line in the sand on you have to pick one side of the either - you are either for slavery or against slavery. You don't see that as him trying to unite the country?  I can see where you can say he was divisive, but if you think it is "really stupid" to even conceive he was trying to unite and ultimately he did just that posthumously, well agree to disagree.

7 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Are you that ignorant on the matter?

Lincoln, Washington, FDR, Jefferson, Wilson. It’s easy to go on.

Some had success for various periods over their terms, others managed to enact change with meaningful long term benefits to the country and the people.

To be clear, all it took was some pushback and McCroskey has gone from saying that both candidates are "equal level morons" to "well, Biden sucks because he is not George Washington." 

These fence straddlers think they are much smarter than everyone else by pointing out flaws with both sides, but in actuality playing the "middle" is the laziest route a person can take.  It requires no critical thinking, no commitment, and almost always falls apart after the slightest interrogation.  The insistence to "well, actually.." politics without fully recognizing the dangers at our doorstep will lead to the downfall of this country.

The comment below was honestly made in a fit of emotion, but I'm glad to see the ensuing conversation has proven me correct.

11 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

You (and not like a general you - I am specifically referring to the human being logged into the “McCroskey” account) are everything currently wrong with the country.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Who was president when half the country decided they weren’t going to be a part of the country anymore?  Who was president when the legacy remnants of the country decided to wage war on that half because of it?

how is that not as divisive as it gets?

In hindsight though, shouldn't we have let the South go?  Yeah, I wouldn't get to listen to every other fucking white guy I know in Austin say "You know, I'm 5th generation Texan by birth" like it's some kinda life achievement.  But I wouldn't be surrounded by sheepish morons from the Permian to Jacksonville.  

20 minutes ago, Bojack said:

I think people are largely pissed off at your dishonesty. Personally, I can't imagine anyone is really stupid enough to suggest that Lincoln was a uniting president. It's tiresome to see posters try and argue against a point that no sane, half way intelligent person could possibly believe. 

Dishonesty...that's interesting and I'm sorry you feel that way.

Lincoln led the defense of the Union and helped abolish slavery.  Yes, he was president during our most divisive years but his actions undoubtedly made things better for the nation and for our people in the end, and he paid for it with his life. 

7 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Dishonesty...that's interesting and I'm sorry you feel that way.

Lincoln led the defense of the Union and helped abolish slavery.  Yes, he was president during our most divisive years but his actions undoubtedly made things better for the nation and for our people in the end, and he paid for it with his life. 

Sometimes doing the right thing is divisive.  Hence, maybe not the best measurement of a potus. Savy?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

These fence straddlers think they are much smarter than everyone else by pointing out flaws with both sides, but in actuality playing the "middle" is the laziest route a person can take.  It requires no critical thinking, no commitment, and almost always falls apart after the slightest interrogation.  The insistence to "well, actually.." politics without fully recognizing the dangers at our doorstep will lead to the downfall of this country.

That’s called going full Anastasis. Never do that. One is judged by the company they keep

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, VRHorn said:

Anyone who thinks "random C-Suite person" is suited to lead the country clearly hasn't had many conversations with random C-Suite people.

You mean C-Suite person like Donald Trump? "Successful" business man? That's the kind of guy McCrosky is suggesting, apparently. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The forces that caused the Civil War were in place and a juggernaut prior to Lincoln's election. He didn't just appear on the scene and say, "you know, this slavery thing is kinda bad. Let's throw down."  The country was already divided. Lincoln held it together.

Team of Rivals is one of the great books I've read. I recommend it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

You mean C-Suite person like Donald Trump? "Successful" business man? That's the kind of guy McCrosky is suggesting, apparently. 

Not at all.  See my post above about Thasunda Brown Duckett.  It's been ignored thus far, I guess either people disagree with her qualities or it's just part of my apparent troll act.

We are fortunate to have a lot of those types of people amongst us, and they are hestitant to get involved.  We'd be better off if they did.

9 minutes ago, VRHorn said:

Anyone who thinks "random C-Suite person" is suited to lead the country clearly hasn't had many conversations with random C-Suite people.

You. Can’t. Run. The. Government. Like. A. Business. 

They're fundamentally different beasts. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I don't think I'm smarter than everyone else, in fact engaging like this reminds me how poorly I sometimes get my opinions across in message board world.  

Disagree that not committing to a side is lazy...at present both parties are abject disasters.  There is a reason nearly half of the population now identifies as independent.

• Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, McCroskey said:

He’s 80. If he had any ability to help us reform education, reduce the divisiveness in our society, improve our fiscal/monetary system, more responsibly manage government spending, etc…we’d have seen it by now.

Not knowing how to do something = incompetent.

With a divided legislature, which is the primary law and policy making institution of our country, there's only so much a President can do.

That is one of the reasons behind notions of "imperial presidency"--the benign one--but when you concentrate that kind of power in a single person, and a very flawed person like Trump at that, it's a recipe for fascism if not autocracy outright.

The fact that Biden knows how to stay in his lane is actually important.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

With a divided legislature, which is the primary law and policy making institution of our country, there's only so much a President can do.

That is one of the reasons behind notions of "imperial presidency"--the benign one--but when you concentrate that kind of power in a single person, and a very flawed person like Trump at that, it's a recipe for fascism if not autocracy outright.

The fact that Biden knows how to stay in his lane is actually important.

Fair.  Where I disagree is this continued notion that republicans suck and there's nothing Biden (or any president, for that matter), can do about it.  I don't readily accept defeatism.   Big surprise.

• Fuck You 2

Just now, McCroskey said:

Fair.  Where I disagree is this continued notion that republicans suck and there's nothing Biden (or any president, for that matter), can do about it.  I don't readily accept defeatism.   Big surprise.

Republicans fucking suck.  Out loud.  Hard.

Don't believe this former Republican voter, take the word of a Republican strategist:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Not at all.  See my post above about Thasunda Brown Duckett.  It's been ignored thus far, I guess either people disagree with her qualities or it's just part of my apparent troll act.

We are fortunate to have a lot of those types of people amongst us, and they are hestitant to get involved.  We'd be better off if they did.

Yeah, not everyone is stopping to listen to a 23 minute podcast so they can give you attaboys or disagree with your position. There's only so much time people are willing to invest on a message board in chunks. 

But you know what, I know that the best people aren't in politics. Not all of it is money, because politicians can line their fucking pockets. I won't touch politics. I know a lot of people that won't touch politics. Because you make yourself a target. It's thankless. It only pays Ok. There are dozens upon dozens of reasons certain successful people don't become politicians. Regardless of your politics, there isn't as much pride in this country as their used to be...for lots of reasons. Politicians used to be professionals in other careers, that just also happened to be politicians. It was a civic duty. A point of pride. Sure, also folks looking into their own interests. now it's a career, and it's about keeping your career. 

We can't fix the things that are broken without fundamental changes in the system before, and those changes at this point are impossible...short of a civil war and actual, real hardship endured with hard lessons by a population that has been coddled and told they're great from the very beginning while doing nothing to earn it, and no concept of what hardship feels like, and that's really myself included. But it's reality.  

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, McCroskey said:

That’s a tremendous question, one I’d much rather discuss over a coffee or beer. It’s not so much what he’s doing in his first term, but rather what he’s not doing.

I don’t think Biden is capable of addressing the largest issues that need addressing in our society, and quite frankly, very few of our current politicians seem interested and/or capable of addressing them. As a society, our finest minds are no longer gravitating to the political spectrum at the rates we need them to be. Serving the public shouldn’t be viewed as toxic, yet it is, and that doesn’t bode well for us long term.

Regardless of where you fall on the policy spectrum, we’ve gotten to a point in this country where politics drives far more emotion and hatred than it should, which coupled with the meteoric rise of technology, social media, etc…over the last 20+ years, and I think we’re in a situation that’s going to require different forms of leadership to start pulling us back on a more long term, sustainable path.

Biden is a career public servant, and has obviously had a very successful, noble career in serving the people of Delaware, but in my view he’s incapable of unifying disparate groups of people around the rest of the country. Many of his policies are popular with larger segments of the population, but they aren’t effective. And whether he likes it or not and no matter how badly you or anyone else hate republicans, they aren’t going away so you might as well figure out how to deal with them and their bullshit policies. We’ve seen the parties flip ideals over time so clearly it can be done.

We need leaders who can start tackling issues and garnering things such as 2/3 majorities again. Think about how normal that used to be and how impossible that seems at present.

Just a reminder that this was the question you were supposed to be answering:

but, what has he actually done in his first term that you've deemed to display incompetence?

If you're thinking that Biden is not superior to a man who literally tried to start a coup to stay in power, that seems like it should be pretty fucking easy to answer.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Wait, you don't think Trump loves America?    Holy shit.  Where would he be without it?

Lol. Narcissists don't love anything but themselves. By textbook definition. They also tend to believe they're entitled to success and greatness and they are the sole reason for their own greatness and success, quarter billion dollar inheritance they got when their dad died aside. 

A man who just suggested that we blow up the debt ceiling because fuck the democrats doesn't love America. Period. Saying anything otherwise is a joke. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, not everyone is stopping to listen to a 23 minute podcast so they can give you attaboys or disagree with your position. There's only so much time people are willing to invest on a message board in chunks. 

But you know what, I know that the best people aren't in politics. Not all of it is money, because politicians can line their fucking pockets. I won't touch politics. I know a lot of people that won't touch politics. Because you make yourself a target. It's thankless. It only pays Ok. There are dozens upon dozens of reasons certain successful people don't become politicians. Regardless of your politics, there isn't as much pride in this country as their used to be...for lots of reasons. Politicians used to be professionals in other careers, that just also happened to be politicians. It was a civic duty. A point of pride. Sure, also folks looking into their own interests. now it's a career, and it's about keeping your career. 

We can't fix the things that are broken without fundamental changes in the system before, and those changes at this point are impossible...short of a civil war and actual, real hardship endured with hard lessons by a population that has been coddled and told they're great from the very beginning while doing nothing to earn it, and no concept of what hardship feels like, and that's really myself included. But it's reality.  

I appreciate that.  If you don't know of her though, you should at least go listen to bits and pieces of it.  Good insights.  23 minutes isn't that much time.

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, safe sex said:

He's not capable of loving anything but himself.

Yeah, it would be remarkable if Trump gave America the nation, and its laws and people and institutions any credit whatsoever for his "success."

It's actually an American tragedy that this piece of shit has success, let alone power.

• Hook 'Em 9

9 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Wait, you don't think Trump loves America?    Holy shit.  Where would he be without it?

Trump loves Trump.  America is just something he uses to continue to get by.

It could easily be Haiti, or Canada, or some other country willing to take him in and let him do whatever he wants in order to maintain his lifestyle.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, it would be remarkable if Trump gave America the nation, and its laws and people and institutions any credit whatsoever for his "success."

It's actually an American tragedy that this piece of shit has success, let alone power.

For sure, in his eyes we're lucky to have him. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Like I said, fuck cnn. Not that I’ve watched much of them since the 2020 election, but I won’t be watching a single minute again. 

I have always liked CNN going back to when they were the only cable news outlet, and will always be my #1 go to news source. Doesn't make sense to me why anyone would dislike CNN, the most moderate by far of the big 3.  MSNBC is too far left for my taste, even though I agree with them a lot and FOX is for psychopaths.  CNN it is. 

3 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

And wait, I'm not saying his love is somehow because he wants what is BEST for America.  I'm saying he loves this country for what it enables him to do.

Oh fuck you.   Try giving something some real thought before you make a statement, enough thought that you can actually make an argument to support it, instead of moving the goal posts every time someone calls you on your stupid shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

I think he loves the fuck out of this country because it empowers the narcissism.  He knows exactly what he's doing.

He loves this country because he can take advantage of everything from people, to the legal system and the media to make money and power but he most certainly does not love America in the sense of wanting her to be the shinning beacon of good/freedom and prosperity in the world. He doesn't love America in wanting what is best for her and her citizens, he wants what's best for trump. He is selfish focused in his life, everything has to be about and for trump. 

• Hook 'Em 1