Trump Town Hall thread, all snowflakes welcome

jimmyjazz

Nobody blamed Trump for the coronavirus. It’s stupid to think that. They blamed him for his rank incompetence when it came to dealing with the pandemic. That was well deserved because he fucked that shit up monumentally. His reality tv presidency finally ran into a real crisis that he couldn’t just bullshit people into believing wasn’t happening. He was exactly the wrong person to have in the White House to deal with that disaster. Hundreds of thousands of Americans died needlessly because of his inaction,  lies, and mixed messages. 
A large percentage of the electorate votes on a variety of stupid tangential shit that's partially or wholly unrelated to the office of the president. Gas prices, global economy, pandemic, my sports team lost FJB! It's alarming that elections often hinge on external circumstances but it's not new.

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Do you honestly think the White House or Treasury is going to allow that to happen?

Not willingly, but the 14th amendment solution seems questionable and would almost certainly be litigated in front of a Supreme Court we cannot trust and in their defense would be conferring new powers on the presidency that should make everyone a little nervous.  I think we have to keep in mind here that for the first time there is a large and powerful activist faction that wants default, or at least is willing to get there. I can't overstate how dangerous this is. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Do you honestly think the White House or Treasury is going to allow that to happen?

What are they going to do to prevent it if he house is resolute? Pull their pants down and give them everything they want? I'm more optimistic that there will be R defectors from the house that pass a clean ceiling, but that isn't exactly a given. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Guy says we need to get costs down but also says to be willing to default. His various thoughts are pretty much contemporaneous and independent of one another.
Also the gas from 1.87 to 9 (Ferris buehler gif) dollars comment was cute. In the places it was 1.87, what’s the highest it ever got?  In the places, if any exist, it was 8 or 9 dollars, what was the lowest it was?  If it’s not an outright lie, it has to be comparing the cheapest regular gas in the country to the most expensive premium gas in the country somewhere else. 

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Guy says we need to get costs down but also says to be willing to default. His various thoughts are pretty much contemporaneous and independent of one another.
Also the gas from 1.87 to 9 (Ferris buehler gif) dollars comment was cute. In the places it was 1.87, what’s the highest it ever got?  In the places, if any exist, it was 8 or 9 dollars, what was the lowest it was?  If it’s not an outright lie, it has to be comparing the cheapest regular gas in the country to the most expensive premium gas in the country somewhere else. 

He just makes shit up.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don’t know. Every time the Republicans shut down the government to try to make the Democrats look bad, it backfires on them. The Republicans never have any qualms about raising the debt ceiling when a Republican is in the White House cutting taxes on the rich and racking up massive deficits and debt. It’s only when a Democrat is in charge that they suddenly try to act like they care about debt and pretend that the debt ceiling has anything to do with future spending. The hypocrisy is as plain as day. We’ve seen it play out multiple times. If the Republicans force the government to default, it will be 100% their fault and I think most people would see that.

You don’t negotiate with terrorists and it’s not your fault if they kill the hostage because you didn’t pay the ransom. 

This is all 100% true, but it's even more than 100% irrelevant to who's going to get blamed.

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I've pointed out to my classes that if a default causes markets to put a very conservative 0.5% default risk premium on our debt afterwards,  that would represent over $150M yearly in additional interest on $30T of debt.  And we're not clawing our way out of that hole. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This is all 100% true, but it's even more than 100% irrelevant to who's going to get blamed.

Like I said, I don’t know. I don’t share your certainty. I’m inclined to think the odds favor Biden and the President will win this one by refusing to negotiate. I give him better than even odds, but since it’s the weekend and I see an opening...

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What are they going to do to prevent it if he house is resolute? Pull their pants down and give them everything they want? I'm more optimistic that there will be R defectors from the house that pass a clean ceiling, but that isn't exactly a given. 

Question for anybody:

Assuming there are enough R House defectors to pass a debt ceiling increase, would the dems plus these defectors be able to force it to a vote? Or could Mccarthy block the vote?

6 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Question for anybody:

Assuming there are enough R House defectors to pass a debt ceiling increase, would the dems plus these defectors be able to force it to a vote? Or could Mccarthy block the vote?

There's one end-around to force a vote that McCarthy doesn't approve of, but they've got to get at least five Republicans to sign on and may not be able to actually get it done until nearly two weeks after the earliest predicted default date.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Question for anybody:

If he blocks that vote then HE is undeniably to blame. He won’t have the balls. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If he blocks that vote then HE is undeniably to blame. He won’t have the balls. 

Good point, but is he smart enough to realize it could disastrously backfire on him? He certainly doesn't give a shit about the country. He was scared shitless on Jan 6. Denounced the attack before he changed from piss-stained underwear then completely backtracked. Shamefully tried to block an investigation of the day.

Turd tumblers drown in saliva when he walks by.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I've pointed out to my classes that if a default causes markets to put a very conservative 0.5% default risk premium on our debt afterwards,  that would represent over $150M yearly in additional interest on $30T of debt.  And we're not clawing our way out of that hole. 

Not to mention that in the shorter term it puts us somewhere around 8-10% unemployment and knocks the S&P down by 20% or more.

It's a fucking catastrophe if it happens, but it's still extremely unlikely.  This standoff has happened several times before, and history tells us that once enough pork is involved, it'll get worked out.

23 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Yeah, maybe, but if he doesn't block it, the mongoloid caucus will crucify him.

If enough Republicans cross the line to support a clean increase of the debt ceiling, presumably they’d be willing to join the Dems in a vote to remove McCarthy if he blocks the vote. 

Unconstitutional to default (“question”) on the nation’s debt. Original intent and plain reading support illegality of defaulting on the debt. Even Scalia would have ordered the Legislative and Executive Branches to pay the nation’s debt. Not a close call—legally. Congress and the President want ‘default’ as a tool to impose austerity measures. It’s blatantly unconstitutional. They need to do their jobs at the budgeting stage of legislation if they want to impose austerity. They are too chicken-shit to actually float a balanced budget; their buddies would lose their tax breaks and the MIC likes their toys. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

So Ted Cruz can send out email blasts about how he fought the big spending Democrats and he won, damn it!   And by win, we of course mean something that has no real effect on spending whatsoever.  We cut foreign aid that was being used for globalist woke agendas! 

It’s funny because his wife is ugly and his dad killed Kennedy. 

13 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Ah, yes, many are saying...  They sure do talk a lot, those many...  Almost as much as a lot of people...

What's great is that it was a ratings flop. So not only did hardly anybody watch it but those who did already had their minds made up about Trump before watching, and CNN learned the painful lesson that everything Trump touches dies.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

What is Congress going to do if Treasury pays our bills?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes, so let’s throw the traitor a pep rally. Great idea!

I thought I’d read that his mom left him no almost no inheritance. She spent her money while alive, as her mom had done before her or some such. Guy is obviously not poor, but he’s earned most of his money on his own. 

Cooper got 1.5 million from his mom. 

14 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Trump lost because of Covid. That Covid existed was not his fault, and shouldn't be blamed on him. People are stupid. (Please let discuss his response it doesn't matter)

If the Gop fucks the debt ceiling and destroys the economy Biden will lose. No matter what he does, he's toast in a recession. It's stupid but true. The fate of our republic hangs on a lot of variables yet to be determined. That sucks.

The GOP is going to fuck the debt ceiling just so they can blame the dems and Biden.  They will burn down our economy to ensure they can take the Oval Office and Congress then push their culture war down our throats. 

And this will happen because the uneducated will lap it up and jerk off to it.   

• Rage+1 2

On 5/11/2023 at 12:22 AM, McCroskey said:

Are you that ignorant on the matter?

Lincoln, Washington, FDR, Jefferson, Wilson. It’s easy to go on.

Some had success for various periods over their terms, others managed to enact change with meaningful long term benefits to the country and the people.

Yes, Wilson brought the white supremacists together. 

So you have the Father of our Country and the guy who authored the Declaration of independence.  If you think Jefferson brought us together go read Marbury v Madison.  So we do have the guy whose election as a Black Republican brought us togeth….wait! His election was the oft quoted reason for the timing of the south’s rebellion. 

So, yeah.  FDR brought us together when Japan bombed us.  He was awesome that way. And he did make the fed $ machine go Brrrrrttt to manage the depression’s worst issues. 

You are amusingly dim. 

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

What is Congress going to do if Treasury pays our bills?

That won't last long. 

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Cooper got 1.5 million from his mom. 

Yes. Which is not what I would call "Fuck You" Money. I wouldn't even call that "Retire Early" money. 

I heard some clips on a podcast. It sounded like a comedy act. The crowd was eating it up. Like you could put the Seinfeld intro music to it and it would sound normal. CNN fell exactly into the trap most knew would be there. And I'm sure Kaitlen Collins is a good journalist but she was completely out of her depth. You need someone more adversarial if you're going to have him on. If you have someone respectful, he's going to walk all over them. 

8 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Yes, Wilson brought the white supremacists together. 

So you have the Father of our Country and the guy who authored the Declaration of independence.  If you think Jefferson brought us together go read Marbury v Madison.  So we do have the guy whose election as a Black Republican brought us togeth….wait! His election was the oft quoted reason for the timing of the south’s rebellion. 

So, yeah.  FDR brought us together when Japan bombed us.  He was awesome that way. And he did make the fed $ machine go Brrrrrttt to manage the depression’s worst issues. 

You are amusingly dim. 

I think I've read that the average "large" alligator has a brain the size of three olives.  You my friend, appear to be validating that in human form.  UF Fan?  Let me guess...

Since you clearly need some assistance with a number of areas, let me help you.  Excluding Trump, there's really not many Presidents that at one point DURING THEIR PRESIDENCY (perhaps even prior to their presidency), didn't enact a policy, go on the record, or make personal statements that in today's world, wouldn't be ridiculed and cause both the media & cancel culture to unleash their reins and attack with full force.  You can pretty much look back to Clinton and for example, his signing of the Defense of Marriage act (which he now extremely regrets), and go back as far as you want and find actions Presidents took that in 2023, were clearly BAD decisions, from the perspective of who we are as a society in 2023.

That said, ALL of our previous presidents were obviously presidents of their time, and they ran a country of citizens also based in that time.  None were perfect, ESPECIALLY by 2023 standards.   If George Washington didn't want his wife to vote, are you still shitting on him as a person with low morals?  If you are, you are an idiot.

I know this is a message board but you must stop talking about these things in such narrow viewpoint.  Doing so might make for "better" posts as defined by some, but it doesn't make you right, no matter how confident you think you come across.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

You need someone more adversarial if you're going to have him on. If you have someone respectful, he's going to walk all over them. 

Who in media fits that bill, in your opinion?  If i'm not already, I want to be sure I'm following them.

19 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

I think I've read that the average "large" alligator has a brain the size of three olives.  You my friend, appear to be validating that in human form.  UF Fan?  Let me guess...

Since you clearly need some assistance with a number of areas, let me help you.  Excluding Trump, there's really not many Presidents that at one point DURING THEIR PRESIDENCY (perhaps even prior to their presidency), didn't enact a policy, go on the record, or make personal statements that in today's world, wouldn't be ridiculed and cause both the media & cancel culture to unleash their reins and attack with full force.  You can pretty much look back to Clinton and for example, his signing of the Defense of Marriage act (which he now extremely regrets), and go back as far as you want and find actions Presidents took that in 2023, were clearly BAD decisions, from the perspective of who we are as a society in 2023.

That said, ALL of our previous presidents were obviously presidents of their time, and they ran a country of citizens also based in that time.  None were perfect, ESPECIALLY by 2023 standards.   If George Washington didn't want his wife to vote, are you still shitting on him as a person with low morals?  If you are, you are an idiot.

I know this is a message board but you must stop talking about these things in such narrow viewpoint.  Doing so might make for "better" posts as defined by some, but it doesn't make you right, no matter how confident you think you come across.

28FD8FBF-C1DA-41EB-8ABD-ADBCA44B85F8.jpeg.5c3f9ad8d4c11d61d2f3c72dd736dbd4.jpeg

“And yet…..he’s dim.”

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That won't last long. 

Yes. Which is not what I would call "Fuck You" Money. I wouldn't even call that "Retire Early" money. 

Homeboy has made at least >$10 million annually for the last 15 years and wasn’t hurting prior to that. I could tell a lot of people to fuck themselves with that kind of money, especially since he’s a self professed cheapskate.