2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

3 hours ago, cmontexas said:

We havent had a player drafted in the top 30 since Jungmann in 2011. L$U has multiple guys every year.

Pierce is a good coach that can take mid teams and win his regional and get to Omaha every few years. Im not seeing how that is even close to Alabama of baseball

Pierce has to up the talent level

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, cmontexas said:

We havent had a player drafted in the top 30 since Jungmann in 2011. L$U has multiple guys every year.

Pierce is a good coach that can take mid teams and win his regional and get to Omaha every few years. Im not seeing how that is even close to Alabama of baseball

Confused Season 9 GIF by The Office

• Haha 1

There seems to be some more optimism on OB from a few people (Mods) that Witt could potentially be in play to return. Obviously his most recent summer outing didn't leave a lot of teams with the warm fuzzies. He's still fighting his arm slot/release point and the command is still a work in progress.

Pitching outlook for 2024 would change dramatically if it were to happen.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Drool 2

7 hours ago, troph said:

yeah it's clear LSU is way out in front on this one. no reason we can't catch up and be perennial top 5 in NIL money. just needs to be done now that buying championships or at least championship rosters is legal. it's no different than MLB payroll fights - more is always better and will always put you at an advantage.

If Texas isn't already top 5 in baseball NIL, it isn't far off. There aren't that many schools working with north of $750k. The issue with LSU is that they worked with north of 3.5x that for the 2022 cycle when everyone else was trying to organize a base. They're still out in front, but they're not going to stay there all alone for much longer. The 2023 cycle -- that might still be the case though.

11 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

he’s not an LSU alum…he graduated from West Virginia and did his masters and interned at Alabama.  

5 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

What part of "CEO" do you not understand when you're responding like this? Ainsworth has run the company for years, having bought out the original entity and since having sold the whole thing to a PE firm while maintaining the CEO role.

• Hook 'Em 7

Tolle had a 97k's in 85.2 inn, 97/19 K/BB ratio, .245 OBA (lowest on staff)  4.62 ERA not impressive,  but a definite take.    Tougher competition but Saarloos is one of the best.

OU, and I am sure others, really wanted Tolle (from Yukon, Ok) but TCU NLI won the day.

Sorry, if already posted:

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If Texas isn't already top 5 in baseball NIL, it isn't far off. There aren't that many schools working with north of $750k. The issue with LSU is that they worked with north of 3.5x that for the 2022 cycle when everyone else was trying to organize a base. They're still out in front, but they're not going to stay there all alone for much longer. The 2023 cycle -- that might still be the case though.

What part of "CEO" do you not understand when you're responding like this? Ainsworth has run the company for years, having bought out the original entity and since having sold the whole thing to a PE firm while maintaining the CEO role.

Thanks for the answer. Appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

There seems to be some more optimism on OB from a few people (Mods) that Witt could potentially be in play to return. Obviously his most recent summer outing didn't leave a lot of teams with the warm fuzzies. He's still fighting his arm slot/release point and the command is still a work in progress.

Pitching outlook for 2024 would change dramatically if it were to happen.

Somehow getting Gordon and Witt back would be pretty cool 

Well if one thing is for sure with some of the portal decisions today, it’s that NIL is turning the transfer portal into the Wild West.

I know Chase Burns is a long shot but we should really think about putting on the full court press for him

20 hours ago, troph said:

yeah it's clear LSU is way out in front on this one. no reason we can't catch up and be perennial top 5 in NIL money. just needs to be done now that buying championships or at least championship rosters is legal. it's no different than MLB payroll fights - more is always better and will always put you at an advantage.

Given our baseball history in comparison with LSU there is no reason we both shouldn't be 1A and 1B or 1 and 2 at minimum with that regards. Yes I know it will take a few years for our machine to match their pace. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Given our baseball history in comparison with LSU there is no reason we both shouldn't be 1A and 1B or 1 and 2 at minimum with that regards. 

We should be fine as long as we can consistently be top 3 and no one is head and shoulders ahead.

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

this is part of the reason why…a legit 10k plus in The Box to celebrate no. 7 this evening.  kids want this…

I was looking for the 2024 Texas thread, I didn't mean to jump into the LSU thread, my bad.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I believe this is one of the guys who Texas is heavily focused on in the OF https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/baseball/roster/mac-bingham/15191

A couple of moving parts in this situation though as he is draft eligible. Not sure if he is in the portal as a leverage play.

Listening to The Horn yesterday, a guest indicated that Texas' NIL for baseball, was like #10 in overall Horn sports, even behind softball.  Seems crazy.

• Rage+1 2

23 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Listening to The Horn yesterday, a guest indicated that Texas' NIL for baseball, was like #10 in overall Horn sports, even behind softball.  Seems crazy.

That is just not true lol. Not sure how someone can be so far off. Unless they meant #10 nationally.

Edited by Hookem2147

3 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

this is part of the reason why…a legit 10k plus in The Box to celebrate no. 7 this evening.  kids want this…

You don’t have to be so embarrassed. Title still counts no matter how much people bitch about the transfers 

Edited by UnhappilyMarried
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

It's 99.5% having a good local recruiting base supercharged by the best NIL machine in the sport and that's ok.

8 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I’ve seen that referenced on more than one occasion. It’s out there whether true or not.

Would hope common sense kicks in at some point as someone wonders if women’s soccer is making more than baseball.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I’ve seen that referenced on more than one occasion. It’s out there whether true or not.

There’s no accounting for simple idiocy. Baseball is, and will continue to be, behind basketball and football. Rightfully so, as the same kind of jack isn’t needed for baseball. Anyone offering up a different view about NIL levels for non-revenue sports is flatly incorrect and I can say that with certainty. People need to get a fucking grip. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Would hope common sense kicks in at some point as someone wonders if women’s soccer is making more than baseball.

Don't even get us started again on women's soccer. Texas should be a powerhouse, but I'll save my lamenting for the correct thread.

Stupid misinformation being spread like beach volleyball and softball receiving more NIL funding than baseball only adds more headwinds to the efforts of continuing to get baseball NIL in a better place. Actually pisses me a little that someone would go on radio and try to pass that off as fact.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Stupid misinformation being spread like beach volleyball and softball receiving more NIL funding than baseball only adds more headwinds to the efforts of continuing to get baseball NIL in a better place. Actually pisses me a little that someone would go on radio and try to pass that off as fact.

The problem is there is no information.  When I ask about how much goes to baseball from my donation I get wiggle word answers.  There is no transparency "because we wouldn't want another school to know..."  Everything on the texasone website is written that way.

It seems highly sketch to me..

On 6/28/2023 at 12:09 AM, chase25 said:

Well if one thing is for sure with some of the portal decisions today, it’s that NIL is turning the transfer portal into the Wild West.

I know Chase Burns is a long shot but we should really think about putting on the full court press for him

I think I heard that 20% of ncaa baseball players were in the portal 

Williams was by all accounts a great guy and worked well with the players, but he had never recruited off campus before in his life. He was a volunteer at San Jac. And I don’t know if he was fully prepared for what he was getting himself into with the 24/7/365 recruiting required at this level.

Wouldn’t shock me if Pierce just promoted Chris Gordon, who was basically co-pitching coach this year and was the pitching coach at Duke before coming to Texas.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

That sucks about Woody Williams, I was looking forward to seeing how this coaching staff would do in the coming season. I didn't see that coming. Last year wasn't a great season by any means but it was a decent one. Not bad for your first year on the job.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Dipshits on the horn tried to say that Pierce was on the chopping block next. 

Unless they have some legend waiting in the wings, that doesn't make any sense.