Anchor Steam ends National Distribution, wont make Christmas Ale anymore

AUS-97HORN

Im almost certain that the younger someone is, the greater chance they like IPAs. 

I fucking love IPAs but I can understand why people over 40-45 dont like them… they didnt even have fucking ipas available until they were in their 30s pretty much. Prolly used to light beer and cat piss. Thanks prohibition

17 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Im almost certain that the younger someone is, the greater chance they like IPAs. 

I fucking love IPAs but I can understand why people over 40-45 dont like them… they didnt even have fucking ipas available until they were in their 30s pretty much. Prolly used to light beer and cat piss. Thanks prohibition

Fuck your notes of sour orange and orange male cat in heat IPA's.  "I got 7.3 trillion IBU's, and I got laid last night".  I drank Anchor Steam at your mom's, and she paid.  Been drinking it since the fucking 80's. Since I could drink in Texas legally at the age of 18.  Fuck all yall, this sucks. 

Edited by beer
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

randy marsh mayor mcdaniels GIF by South Park

• Haha 3

On 7/13/2023 at 5:49 AM, tx 3 putt said:

does anyone really like ipa's ?

i do, no more or no less than other categories of beer.  within that group theres actually a pretty broad range of flavors.  im partial to the strongly hoppy/bitter ones from dogfish head. more recently "juicy ipa" which has mango- and other tropical flavors is great as a summer drink, and completely different from the hoppy beers.

23 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

A lotta teeth gnashing over what is now a below average brewery. They got passed up just like Coopers and Luling City Market. Shit, I bet most people on here havent had a beer from them in months, if not years.

It sucks but its not a big loss at this point. 15 years ago, yes. Now, who cares

Ballgame!

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm an IPA fan that's getting annoyed with the direction (the sweet/juicy thing) the style is generally taking, but when I find one that suits my fancy it don't get much better.

I have leaned a lot more into pilsners in the past year.  

I agree with the first sentence. 

I'll drink a cold pilsner when it's hot outside, but aside from that I don't drink many pilsners.  Or other lagers, for that matter.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I drank a bottle of that once after a climbing a Colorado 14er.  Riding shotgun as we drove over Independence Pass.  That was something.

Shit, I took the train up Pike's Peak and felt a little woozy at the top.  No way I'd down a Dogfish 120 at that point.  I tried to scarf down one of their shitty burgers, but it didn't help all that much.

18 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I agree with the first sentence. 

I'll drink a cold pilsner when it's hot outside, but aside from that I don't drink many pilsners.  Or other lagers, for that matter.

I really started to come around on a good lager when I started homebrewing with some buddies.  It's definitely a harder beer to make as it's simplicity doesn't allow for any masking of mistakes.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I've never had the 120 -- only the 60 and 90.  And while I thought they were fine, let's just say I was somewhat underwhelmed.

my favorite factoid about those beers is that the 60 is 6% ABV, 90 is 9%, and the 120... ~20%. 

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Shit, I took the train up Pike's Peak and felt a little woozy at the top.  No way I'd down a Dogfish 120 at that point.  I tried to scarf down one of their shitty burgers, but it didn't help all that much.

Well, I didn't down it at 14K.  It was after we had got back down to the trailhead, and then were driving to the next place we were staying.  I mean I wasn't driving - just riding shotgun.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I really started to come around on a good lager when I started homebrewing with some buddies.  It's definitely a harder beer to make as it's simplicity doesn't allow for any masking of mistakes.

And that, right there, is why so many of these breweries are making IPAs: They're not very good at brewing. Like glam metal from Bon Jovi onwards, you're dealing with a gold rush of mediocre talents copying the style of better, more successful names; they're also among the first to die out as market saturation bores the market with the style.

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

And that, right there, is why so many of these breweries are making IPAs: They're not very good at brewing. Like glam metal from Bon Jovi onwards, you're dealing with a gold rush of mediocre talents copying the style of better, more successful names; they're also among the first to die out as market saturation bores the market with the style.

YARN | Forget it, he's rolling. | Animal House (1978 ...

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

you seem to have incredible insight. can i hire you to run my brewery?

Ha!

Look, I don't have to be a great general to know that the Russian army is run by morons. I don't have to be a youth football coaching legend to know that Charlie Strong was a terrible head football coach. I don't have to be a great biologist to know that anti-vaccine people are idiots making a ridiculous mockery of the scientific method. I don't have to be Rick Beato to know that most glam metal is complete garbage.

And I don't have to be a Trappist monk to know that most of these microbreweries are shitty.

Answer me this: Why are there so many brands, but so little variety, particularly given what an acquired taste IPAs happen to be? You'd think I'd be able to buy more than one or two local brews that are not IPAs, but here we are. Given how forgiving IPAs are to brew, compared with (oh say) lagers, one just needs to fire a couple of synapses together to come to the obvious conclusion.

(Oh, and Greenspoint is a dilweed. IPAs did, in fact, exist in the 1980s and before. And they tasted like shit then, too!)

• Hook 'Em 1

Ha!
Answer me this: Why are there so many brands, but so little variety, particularly given what an acquired taste IPAs happen to be?

because enough people have acquired a taste for IPA that the style dwarfs all other styles of craft beer when it comes to sales. Over the course of a year in my taproom, on almost any given day 4 of the top 5 selling beers will be IPA or pale ale and the worst selling beer will almost always be the darkest beer on tap.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

because enough people have acquired a taste for IPA that the style dwarfs all other styles of craft beer when it comes to sales. Over the course of a year in my taproom, on almost any given day 4 of the top 5 selling beers will be IPA or pale ale and the worst selling beer will almost always be the darkest beer on tap.

And the top 40 of the late middle 1980s was dominated by the likes of Warrant, White Lion and Winger. Absolute garbage.

Your point?

CSB - I took Dr Sprinkles paleontology class as a UT geo undergrad in 1997.  We had several fossil collecting field trips where we'd have to reconstruct paleogeography based on fossil assemblages collected in the field. 

Anyhow, if you found a fossil that Dr Sprinkle liked, he'd call it a beer fossil and offer you beer for it.  I found a good one that I was reluctant to get rid of so he offered me a six pack of anything I wanted.

I said, "Anchor Steam."  He showed up a bit late Monday morning with my six pack in a brown paper bag.  He said ,"Had to stop in 3 places before I found it."

Fossil handed over and worth it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

you asked why craft brewers make so much IPA and the answer is because that’s what the market demands. that is my point.

It was a rhetorical question. I already knew the answer: Most people don't much care how the beer tastes; they care more about fitting in with their crowd and ABV. But the days of IPAs being trendy are numbered, and then these breweries aren't going to be able to adapt.

It was a rhetorical question. I already knew the answer: Most people don't much care how the beer tastes; they care more about fitting in with their crowd and ABV. But the days of IPAs being trendy are numbered, and then these breweries aren't going to be able to adapt.

most people who are consumers of craft beer do care about how the beer tastes—that’s the whole reason the industry took off. the industry faces a lot of challenges at the moment, mainly from an overall decrease in alcohol consumption from the younger demographic (healthier life-style trends, cannabis, less “going out” in general, craft beer boom aging into “dad” beer, etc), but IPA as a style is not a trend. it’s been the best selling segment of craft beer for 20 years because hops are amazing and can produce a wide variety of bold flavors that can appeal to a wide variety palates. to state that brewers make IPA because they’re easy to brew and most breweries suck, is just a non-sensical claim by someone who hates the style. there are shitty IPAs and average IPAs and amazing IPAs just as there are for every other style of beer.
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

most people who are consumers of craft beer do care about how the beer tastes—that’s the whole reason the industry took off.

The second half of this sentence is correct. That's how the industry took off. But any time a thing becomes popular and mainstream, the copycat producers have less and less of what made the thing popular in the first place, and the consumers are more and more doing it because of what their friends are doing.

And obviously if you sell a lot of that thing, your customer base is going to self-select for people who like that thing. You sell a large selection of IPAs; has it occurred to you that if you didn't, you might sell just as much beer, but to a very different clientele? I don't even bother going to bars or buying beer any more largely because I can't find what I want. You've selected me out of your crowd. Change your selection, and I might show up again.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is a pointless argument.  I have almost no sweet tooth, but I'm hardly inclined to criticize those who love sweets.  I mean, other than pointing out that they're pussies, of course.

The only thing pointless about it is Patrick's refusal to admit that I'm right and he's wrong 🤣

He wants to save it with a petition. “Let’s Stand Together to Save Anchor Steam!” Doesn’t sound like he has any money but it’s a cheap marketing ploy to maybe move Narragansett from #27 craft beer to #26. I’m sure Sapporo will quake at the fear of a petition with at least 2200 folks on it.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

The second half of this sentence is correct. That's how the industry took off. But any time a thing becomes popular and mainstream, the copycat producers have less and less of what made the thing popular in the first place, and the consumers are more and more doing it because of what their friends are doing.

And obviously if you sell a lot of that thing, your customer base is going to self-select for people who like that thing. You sell a large selection of IPAs; has it occurred to you that if you didn't, you might sell just as much beer, but to a very different clientele? I don't even bother going to bars or buying beer any more largely because I can't find what I want. You've selected me out of your crowd. Change your selection, and I might show up again.

What beer is that and where do you live because I call bullshit on you can't find the beers you want in the era of 60 selection tap houses?

6 hours ago, Rimbo said:

yes, a business should stop selling their best selling items because @Rimbo might come in twice a year to spend $22 on some esotoric beer. 

image.gif.8dc67e57aa1176fe5fc39e58c1687f75.gif

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

yes, a business should stop selling their best selling items because @Rimbo might come in twice a year to spend $22 on some esotoric beer. 

image.gif.8dc67e57aa1176fe5fc39e58c1687f75.gif

Oh yeah. I'm sure every DJ of a "hard rock" station in 1989 was thinking just the same thing: "Why should we stop playing Bon Jovi and Poison? They're the greatest band ever and will be famous for ever and ever and this format will never ever die."

19 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Oh yeah. I'm sure every DJ of a "hard rock" station in 1989 was thinking just the same thing: "Why should we stop playing Bon Jovi and Poison? They're the greatest band ever and will be famous for ever and ever and this format will never ever die."

But when you’re the guy calling the DJ in 1989 ranting about wanting to hear a Gil Scott-Heron spoken word album played start to finish they are going to disregard your opinion. Like we are now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

But when you’re the guy calling the DJ in 1989 ranting about wanting to hear a Gil Scott-Heron spoken word album played start to finish they are going to disregard your opinion. Like we are now. 

Yeah, but I'm not that guy. I'm the guy calling saying, "Hey, there's this band outta Seattle called Alice in Chains that y'all gotta check out."

Jesus that was a beat down. Anything GSH did was a beating. I worked at a college station with a blues show from like midnight to 3am. My leadin would play some of the most diaphanous masturbatory avant-garde jazz shit ever. No one calls in to a college station. They would call in threatening to come burn down the station.

On 7/15/2023 at 6:02 PM, Rimbo said:

Ha!

Look, I don't have to be a great general to know that the Russian army is run by morons. I don't have to be a youth football coaching legend to know that Charlie Strong was a terrible head football coach. I don't have to be a great biologist to know that anti-vaccine people are idiots making a ridiculous mockery of the scientific method. I don't have to be Rick Beato to know that most glam metal is complete garbage.

And I don't have to be a Trappist monk to know that most of these microbreweries are shitty.

Answer me this: Why are there so many brands, but so little variety, particularly given what an acquired taste IPAs happen to be? You'd think I'd be able to buy more than one or two local brews that are not IPAs, but here we are. Given how forgiving IPAs are to brew, compared with (oh say) lagers, one just needs to fire a couple of synapses together to come to the obvious conclusion.

(Oh, and Greenspoint is a dilweed. IPAs did, in fact, exist in the 1980s and before. And they tasted like shit then, too!)

Do you really want to reference Charlie Strong being a terrible football coach as some example of your insight into anything? Why set yourself up for failure, sir?

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2023 at 6:25 PM, Rimbo said:

And the top 40 of the late middle 1980s was dominated by the likes of Warrant, White Lion and Winger. Absolute garbage.

Your point?

Yep. Being popular doesn't mean it's great. 

I'm looking at you, Dave Matthews. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

Yep. Being popular doesn't mean it's great. 

I'm looking at you, Dave Matthews. 

You've reminded me of an album review in The Daily Texan from long, long ago, for the album Michael Bolton's Greatest Hits.

The caption for the photo accompanying the review read: "Michael Bolton re-releases some of his most famous rehashings."

The review was shorter:

"Oddly enough, this CD isn't blank."

Mind you, this was years before anyone had heard the phrase "no-talent ass clown."

• Haha 1