Tourist Trip to Titanic Terribly Turns Tragic

MrBig

2 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I'm going to assume that the ocean there has something called ocean currents, and the strain on the "tether" imposed by those ocean currents would be substantial when you spooled out 2 miles worth.  Maybe so substantial that your sub just did this on the end of the tether --------------0, downstream. 

Seems most unmanned ROVs have to be tethered as there is no way to communicate/control them at such depths without a direct line.  Some have tethers that have reached 35K ft down

17 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Just a random thought here…

If they had put 100 airbag type devices on the hull and triggered it as a emergency floatation device, would it work at that depth?

There is no material that will inflate at that depth. The vehicle itself is positively buoyant and you dump ballast to get back up. I am betting that the hull failed and they’re looking for debris at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There is no material that will inflate at that depth. The vehicle itself is positively buoyant and you dump ballast to get back up. I am betting that the hull failed and they’re looking for debris at this point. 

Perhaps the duct tape job visible in that video from last year didn't hold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Just a random thought here…

If they had put 100 airbag type devices on the hull and triggered it as a emergency floatation device, would it work at that depth?

The “airbag” is the sub itself. These types of deep-diving submersibles carry iron shot for ballast weight. When it’s time to come up they release the heavy iron shot, then the buoyant vehicle rises to the surface. Problem in this case is that this piece-of-shit Hobby Lobby minivan likely sprung a leak and then imploded all within a fraction of a second.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Seems most unmanned ROVs have to be tethered as there is no way to communicate/control them at such depths without a direct line.  Some have tethers that have reached 35K ft down

USBL (ultra-short baseline acostics) apparently is the method used. Basically texting between ship and sub, ship lets sub know where it is and where to go.  When communication lost, sub literaly blind as to position.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

Thinking of the “floating on the surface trapped” theory, I am reminded that the Mercury astronauts demanded a hatch with exploding bolts that could be triggered if the capsule started to flood before being picked up after that nearly happened in an accident.

I cannot understand doing this kind of thing “on the (relatively) cheap.”

15 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I also wonder how you would haul around 13,000 ft of cable that is strong enough to support 23,000 lbs.

It wasn't cable, but yeah, it's been done already. CIA already figured the whole thing out (of course, you need to find the thing first). And yeah, Azorian needs made into a movie as already suggested by @686.  The  documentary on the project is a great starting point for those unfamiliar:

USNS_Glomar_Explorer_(T-AG-193).jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Yep.  You become instantaneous diesel fuel until the water snuffs out the combustion.  If I were ever in a sub that was incapacitated,I would pray that it’s in water that exceeds crush depth.  Hot and fast is way better than cold and slow when it comes to inevitable death.  

dcd37ca8-0d38-46b6-a43c-ca0711e854b4_tex

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Thinking of the “floating on the surface trapped” theory, I am reminded that the Mercury astronauts demanded a hatch with exploding bolts that could be triggered if the capsule started to flood before being picked up after that nearly happened in an accident.

I cannot understand doing this kind of thing “on the (relatively) cheap.”

It doesn't seem like the technology has to be overly complex.  On the surface the door needs to be watertight but able to open and close (or its not a door).  As soon as you descend, water pressure is pressing the door inward.  If designed correctly, the door will only open on the surface - water pressure will hold it shut at anything but shallow depths.  The deeper you go, the stronger the seal on the door.

The headlines for this are pretty disingenuous…”race to find them” kind of shit. No other vehicle can go to the depths of the Titanic so if that’s where they are it’s over and if the device hasn’t imploded it will just run out of air at 7 am EST on Thursday. Most of what I have read suggests they lost contact with the sub about 1 hour and 45 minutes into the journey. It takes 8 total hours to reach the Titanic. Even if they just lost contact and went about the mission they’d be floating in the surface just no way to get out or contact anyone. No escape pod and no way to bring it to the surface. Ya sign me up for that shit.

you also have one of the richest men in Pakistan on board with his teenage son along with Hamish there. 

7 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Well those on board are worth billions, so hope they are paying for the recovery. Lot of USCG and Canadian assets out hunting. 

5 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

This proves that rich people aren’t rich because they’re smarter than everyone else. 

One of those on board is a French diving expert, who made dozens of trips to the Titanic recovering artifacts for a company that had a legit DSV.  Why he climbed into the bargain-bin DSV is beyond me, unless they threw money at him.

41 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

But were those tethers sourced from Camping World?

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

It takes 8 total hours to reach the Titanic. 

9 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Lol, this is NOT the size of a minivan.

image.thumb.jpeg.e2b57930ed59c6106dc2273a506fc8ee.jpeg

Wait, they paid $250k to sit like this for about 16 hours (round trip) just to see the Titanic on a computer monitor?  What the fuck is wrong with these people? 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tomahawk dunk said:

Maybe someone onboard brought some AirTags? I'm also surprised Elon hasn't chimed in about building a sub for this incident.

He would have if this half ass submarine company hadn’t bragged about being connected to his satellites.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So in a lot of the more recent articles andthey talk to “experts” and most of the experts think it’s already imploded. Just really bad currents and shit. That it just plummeted and imploded. That would suck though if it somehow completed it’s 16 plus hour mission and is just floating on the surface of the ocean with no way to contact and no way to get out…damn…

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  It's a fucking computer monitor, not a window.  I can see all that shit from the surface.  Hell, you could put me in the sub and lie about it - "yeah, we're totally descending, it'll take 8 hours.  Blah blah blah, look at the monitor, you can't see anything till we get down to the wreck.  And if you gotta take a dump, there's a bucket up front."  And then just make the sub move around some, about 100 feet down.  Profit.

So they can’t even see the Titanic out of that porthole window?  If that’s the case, then this is even stupider than I thought.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  It's a fucking computer monitor, not a window.  I can see all that shit from the surface.  Hell, you could put me in the sub and lie about it - "yeah, we're totally descending, it'll take 8 hours.  Blah blah blah, look at the monitor, you can't see anything till we get down to the wreck.  And if you gotta take a dump, there's a bucket up front."  And then just make the sub move around some, about 100 feet down.  Profit.

Also, most of the time the conditions are such that the sub doesn’t even make it to the wreckage. This happens more often than not. So 16 or so hours and you are uncomfortable and you may not even get to see anything on the monitor. That is shitty. 

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

So in a lot of the more recent articles andthey talk to “experts” and most of the experts think it’s already imploded. Just really bad currents and shit. That it just plummeted and imploded. That would suck though if it somehow completed it’s 16 plus hour mission and is just floating on the surface of the ocean with no way to contact and no way to get out…damn…

Wouldn’t they have a radio inside for surface communication?

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The headlines for this are pretty disingenuous…”race to find them” kind of shit. No other vehicle can go to the depths of the Titanic so if that’s where they are it’s over and if the device hasn’t imploded it will just run out of air at 7 am EST on Thursday. Most of what I have read suggests they lost contact with the sub about 1 hour and 45 minutes into the journey. It takes 8 total hours to reach the Titanic. Even if they just lost contact and went about the mission they’d be floating in the surface just no way to get out or contact anyone. No escape pod and no way to bring it to the surface. Ya sign me up for that shit.

It takes 2 hours

On a dive day, we will begin with final dive checks on the back deck before heading to the bridge for a pre-dive meeting. Then you will climb inside Titan, OceanGate’s five-person submersible, to begin the dive. Those who are not diving the first day will be incorporated into other areas of dive ops — like driving the dingy, assisting the Expedition Manager, collecting media or simply enjoying watching the team work together to do something truly unique.

Once the submersible is launched you will begin to see alienlike lifeforms whizz by the viewport as you sink deeper and deeper into the ocean. The descent takes approximately two hours but it feels like the blink of an eye. You may assist the pilot with coms and tracking, take notes for the science team about what you see outside of the viewport, watch a movie or eat lunch. There is a private toilet at the front of the sub if nature calls.

They still dead though

Just now, Brisketexan said:

I mean....as someone who has done an incredibly stupid thing a time or two....yeah....I resemble this remark.

I would imagine the Surly collective (myself included) could put together a list of stupid shit we’ve done that would rival any group of people in the history of the world.  Pretty bad judgement for the sub-goers when all of Surly would have told them it was not a good idea.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Did y'all know that on one of James Cameron's post-Titanic (1997) expeditions to the wreck, his submersible surfaced after an eight-plus hour dive, and when they opened up the hatch, Bill Paxton told them that 9/11 had just happened. There's footage of it in the IMAX documentary Ghosts of the Abyss.

CSB

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I would imagine the Surly collective (myself included) could put together a list of stupid shit we’ve done that would rival any group of people in the history of the world.  Pretty bad judgement for the sub-goers when all of Surly would have told them it was not a good idea.

If I were the tour company, I would have dove them to 300 feet, hung around that depth for 16 hours and then showed them the Titanic movie. That's basically what they paid for. 

Going all that way down and holding a fart for 16 hours is not worth worth watching the shit from a 32 inch TV.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I believe that system begins with A-B-A-B-Up-Down-Up-Down on the controller.

If I was in the sub I would have remembered my Super Mario World training and hit Start + Select on the controls to leave the current mission. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

How many of us chose to spend our college years squeezing our nuts in college station while worshipping dead dogs? 

• Hook 'Em 1